Start by marking “Toy Time!: From Hula Hoops to He-Man to Hungry Hungry Hippos: A Look Back at the Most- Beloved Toys of Decades Past” as Want to Read:

3.75  ·  Rating details ·  118 Ratings  ·  32 Reviews
What was your favorite childhood toy?

Do you have fond memories of fighting unseen enemies with your G.I. Joe action figures, demolishing fleets of vehicles with your Tonka Toy Trucks, or Karate-chopping imaginary street thugs with your Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles?

What about carefree summer afternoons counting ticks on your Skip-It, scooting around the neighborhood on y
Published October 8th 2013 by Three Rivers Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Toy Time!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Toy Time!

Ms. Yingling
Oct 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When my students tell me that they don't like nonfiction, I always tell them that they have been picking up the WRONG nonfiction. Cultural history is the sort of book that I love to pick up, and I enjoyed this one. Who wouldn't? Well, okay, most of the toys were from the 1960s-1980s, so they were either ones I had or knew about (Cabbage Patch dolls made NO sense to a teenager, let me tell you!) I particularly liked the way the entries were arranged-- why we loved the toy, and where is it now add ...more
Brian
Mar 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again, this book is very hard to compare to some of the epic novels that I like to read, but this was a very cute filler book that I read last night after my two library books proved to be less than engaging. The book is divided into sections such as dolls, boy toys, fads and timeless classics. It gives details about a particular toy, no more than 2-4 pages, telling the history, the appeal and what is the current status. The information isn't super indepth but it definitely is a good read f ...more
Diane S ☔
This was just a delightful trip through memory lane. Many of the toys I played with as a youth and some that were before me but I had heard of all the same. Also, some my kids played with like the Turtles and the easy bake oven.

Where the idea came from, how and who came up with them, where they are now and how many are no longer made and hard to find. Many will be not surprised to hear that play-doh is as popular today as it was when it first came out. Silly putty, though still made today is mad
Tirzah
May 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I don't even remember how I came across this book; I only remember that I wanted to read it, because sometimes you need those nostalgic moments that make you happy. It is not fair to recommend this book for one particular generation, because many of the toys are classics that have stood the test of time. Young, middle age, and old will recognize toys, such as Barbie and Legos. The format of this book is inviting and the author's writing style is humorous, making it an enjoyable read.
Rob Schorr
Jun 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great, fun-filled book with just about every memorable toy mad in the last 50 years!
4 thumbs up!
Denny Wagner
This is a fun, light read for anyone who grew up in the 70s and 80s. It's a formulaic retrospective on some of the most memorable toys from that period. The book is split into various chapters that categorize the toys (dolls/girls, action figures/boys, games, outdoor toys, etc.). And then each chapter is split into sections devoted to one particular toy each. The author provides a description of the toy, a brief summary of how it was developed, and its place in toy history. There is usually a pi ...more
Melissa Guimont
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This is a blast from the past and answered my question of "whatever happened to the big wheel?" If you are interested in a short history of the toys of our past, pick this up for a enjoyable trip into your childhood. I remembered the frustrations of spirograph mistakes, throwing those across the room like frisbees and the joy of watching my shrinky dinks melt in the oven. It makes me want to run out and buy some Colorforms and hug my Teddy Ruxpin in the attic. A fun fact from this book: the smel ...more
Marie
Dec 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-stars, history, nonfic
My only complaint with this book is that it isn't longer! Christopher Byrne covers dozens of toys in his book, and there were only a very few that I didn't remember playing with myself as a kid. The book is so well laid out that I ended up reading it cover to cover. You know, with some non fiction titles similar to this one you would just flip through and read about a couple of your favorite toys then put it down, but I couldn't do that. The chapters were arranged brilliantly, covering inside to ...more
Danielle Booey
A fun look at the most beloved toys of the past decades. My favorite section was Chapter 7: For Two to Four Players. It was full of old favorite board games and a few I wish I had access to like, Green Ghost and Mystery.

This book is full of old favorite toys like Creepy Crawler machines, LEGOs, He-Man action figures, and troll dolls. I was, however, disappointed by the lack of 90s toys. I feel like the book really missed the boat on that one considering that the 90s are probably the hey day of c
Dawn
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lot of interesting info here... Did you know the reason Silly Putty comes in eggs was because the marketing began around Easter and plastic eggs were cheap & plentiful, as well as held just the right amount of putty? Or that the US military saved View-Master back in WWII by requesting viewers & reels for training purposes? Or that Crayola could be translated as "oily chalk"?

Written in a lively and slightly snarky fashion, it may not have all of your favorite toys (everything is from 1940
Madonna Gallant
Jan 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book at the library because it featured the View Master - which I had recently received in the mail as part of a marketing kit, and was interested to see the fate of View Master (which can still be purchased on Amazon with recent TV hits featured).

This book is such fun. You can read it in an hour, or you can read it in a day. You can peruse through and find the toys you remember growing up with, or you can read about all the toys you didn't know were even around.

The book featu
Marathon County Public Library MCPL
Revisit your childhood with this charming, full-color chronicle of toys from decades past. Among the toys described and illustrated are Play-Doh, Barbie, Gumby, Uno, Rubik's Cube, Etch-a-Sketch, Teddy Ruxpin, Silly Putty, G.I. Joe, the Star Wars Action Figures, Care Bears, Dungeons and Dragons, Tonka Toy Trucks, NERF Ball, View-Master and the Frisbee. A virtual time-travel machine, the book is a fun, affectionate read of carefree times filled with beloved toys and games.

Mike O. / Marathon Count
Joséphine (Word Revel)
This book is pure nostalgia! I think this is reason enough to pick it up and flip through it at least. I liked that Byrne incorporated chapter introductions that gave context to all these toys from the 50s ranging to the 90s. Explaining the culture that influenced the popularity of each toy made it a little more than a collection of toy memories, even if only briefly. I didn't care for the puns though. There were way too many for my liking, so I got a little annoyed towards the end. Otherwise, a ...more
David Ward
Sep 11, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Toy Time!: From Hula Hoops to He-Man to Hungry Hungry Hippos: A Look Back at the Most- Beloved Toys of Decades Past by Christopher Byrne (Three Rivers Press 2013)(688.72). The author resurrects toys ingrained into the collective memories of the Baby Boomer generation, reminding us of toys we once loved. This features many of my favorites: Creepy Crawlers, Major Matt Mason, and GI Joe. My rating: 7/10, finished 9/11/14.
Eva Kelly
Nov 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OK, so this is a grownup book about TOYS!!! OLD toys! With lots of pictures! But I like it and looked at it a lot.
I think it'd be fun to have all these or even some of them, but how come it's not a kid's book? I guess when you get old and you can't buy toys anymore you need to look at them in books. But why not just buy the toys for your kids and then when they're not playing with them you can!!
A good one!
Nancy
Oct 31, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great read. It was fun seeing games I have hiding away still. And some that we wore out as kids. A few we always wanted and could never have. Backgrounds on them as well. Mstly toys that were from the 1950's through about 1990. Mostly the iconic ones but a lot of fun. Tells about the start and where those toys are now.
Emmy
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nostalgia
This was a fun and fascinating collection of awesome old toys (some I've owned or at least heard of, and others which were completely new to me). For the most part, it was a great trip down memory lane, while at the same time a glimpse into a past even further back than my own childhood. All in all, a great read!
Chris
Apr 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cool-and-unusual
This book was lots of fun. Nice graphics and pictures of the beloved toys of the past. When my husband saw me reading it he came to sit next to me, and we went through it and discussed all the toys that we had owned, and our memories of them. Some good memories.
Tom
Jan 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A real nostalgia-mine! I wish, though, that Byrne had included my old Ben-Hur play set, and my Nylint Electronic Cannon... and maybe that Buddy-L Hydraulic Dump Truck...(mumble mumble--regresses to childhood)
Amy
Brilliant for short entries on retro toys and images that are plentiful but not distracting from the text.

This book will be a fun way for my 7th grade students slightly below grade level to prepare for the state exams!
Brent
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: toys
Great toy book! Included a couple I had never heard of like the Johnny Seven O.M.A. (one man army) Rifle, very cool.
Lorna
Jan 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lots of fun. I recognized most of the toys featured, only a few were totally unfamiliar. Enjoyed getting some history on how these toys came to be.
Lupe
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very fun romp through toy history. This should even be fun non-fiction for students. The articles are brief and filled with bright graphics, too.
Julie
Jan 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun look back at some popular toys.
Jen
Oct 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a walk down memory lane!
Barb Wiseberg
Mar 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: antiques
Loved it!

The book brought back memories of some of my favourite childhood toys - clackers, twizzer, Vac-U-Form!
Beth
Jan 26, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun look at the past. Memories of toys that we had or wanted.
Barb
Nov 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful trip down memory lane!
Julie
May 14, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
This was an easy book to skim and see which toys you remember from your childhood. From working at Kenner/Hasbro, I was proud to see how many of the great toys originated at these companies!
Abraham Ray