Start by marking “Life Cycle - Poems” as Want to Read:
Life Cycle - Poems

Life Cycle - Poems

Life cycle: the series of developmental stages and changes which comprise the entire life history of a given organism or culture, from inception through maturity and reproductive viability.

“Dena Rash Guzman howls coyote howls. There is holiness in her soup. You're cold and hungry right now and you don't even know it. Come inside. Get warm.”
-Scott McClanahan, author of Cr
Published June 2013 by Dog On A Chain Press (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Life Cycle - Poems, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Life Cycle - Poems

Start your review of Life Cycle - Poems
Jen Marin
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry
dare not to die, not today
consider the audacity
-DRG

Strung like beads on a necklace, the poems in Life Cycle open my heart in moments of recognition and resonance. I turn each page and think, I know that feeling! That is me. And that is me too. And even when I don't want to admit it, I would see myself, again and again.

Each poem reminds me that we are all connected, and our experiences mirror each other more than we think. The Buddha tells us that life is suffering, but it is that and so much mo
Ryan Werner
Aug 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: indie-lit, poetry
"To maximize the pleasure of Life Cycle, read it fast. This is the opposite advice I give about most things. It’s a grind record or a joy ride: enough time to do it again and again and again.

The idea of Life Cycle, each poem being named “Life Cycle,” is the draw here. (NOTE: individual poems are referenced by their first line here) I get it and I like it, because life is a festival or a road trip, where there are a lot of plodding parts, but, upon looking back, a genuine fullness that was the in
Beasley Barrenton
Jun 03, 2013 rated it really liked it

These poems are having a discussion amongst themselves. A Last Dinner of sorts, at a long table, in a meadow surrounded by tall pines. They are drinking rich coffee, wine, whisky. They are wearing new clothes from the nice rack at the thrift store. There is laughter on the verge of tears, tears full of all that life needs to survive beyond any struggle, any strife, these poems are human and yet purely animalistic. Ah yes, once again the subtle apocalypse in the background.

I know a bit more abou
Kevin
May 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
A widely varied and strong debut collection. DRG is especially good when she's digging the sensual/emotional vein (the universal themes of those poems are turned up brightly with flashes of beauty and longing). She can get a little flighty at times but when she locks into a hard focus, the images become magic.
Wendy
May 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Dena's book Life Cycle has been in my bag--along with my wallet, phone, and a kaleidoscope of knitting projects--as I read it again and again. Lately, it has started falling open to the same poem, so I read that one every time. Which page does your copy fall open to?
Dena Guzman
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: poetry

(It was amazing to write Life Cycle - most definitely worth a whole line of stars.)
Joe Williams
May 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved it. "Life Cycle" is a book I will return to over and over.
Leah
Maggie
May 27, 2013
Kat
Jun 03, 2013
Dena Rash Guzman (born 1972 in Las Vegas, Nevada) is a poet living near Portland, Oregon.