Start by marking “Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star” as Want to Read:
Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star

Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star

This biography of Elizabeth Taylor tells her story as no other can. Drawing on extensive reporting and interviews, Kitty Kelley’s classic portrait follows the rise, fall, and rebirth of the woman who was perhaps Hollywood’s brightest star. Now with a new Afterword, this is the definitive record of Elizabeth Taylor’s fascinating life.
Published November 1st 1982 by Dell Publishing Company (first published October 12th 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Elizabeth Taylor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Elizabeth Taylor

James Carter
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I am a big fan of Elizabeth Taylor, having seen many of her movies and thinking Who's Afraid of Virigina Woolf? the best work of her career. Thus, liking her and Kitty Kelley's books, I decided to give Elizabeth Taylor: The Last Star a go but was hoping not to read too many bad things about her.

Well, the verdict is in. I think Elizabeth Taylor, who comes across to me as an airhead despite her immense beauty, never grew up for many years and seemed to have finally matured when she married the di
Paula Haifley
Aug 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is CRAZY. I know rich people who have been rich since they were children get eccentric, but some of the stuff in this biography is so crazy, like how the Burtons used to leave their children's toys behind at whatever location they were shooting at, and then buy all new toys in the next place, because Liz had to travel with 146 suitcases of her own.
Pamfrommd
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
I read books like this one only at bedtime. That's when I need something extremely light and meaningless so I can lull myself to sleep. I learned a long time ago that reading a novel at bedtime is a very bad idea, at least for me. I never remember plot lines when I'm so close to sleep. Kitty Kelley is the *perfect* writer of soporific books! I've read all of her bios except for Jackie Oh! but that will be next up.
Kathleen Blakely
Not much new

Reading this became an effort. I must say however I was appalled at how very cheap she was in everything. Her continued bragging about donations that never happened, even for children. She could have helped so many, instead she took,took,took. She is and always will be, remembered for her beauty. She was hardly an involved parent and completely void of morals.

Arlenea Higginbotham
Reliable

I know if I pick up a biography by Kitty I will always enjoy the read.
I have already started another book by this author, and I do usually wait. I like to save the books I know I will love the most as the gems to look forward to.
Laura DeNardo
Jun 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Overall I liked it. I felt it was a little bit too long. The writer definitely didn't sugarcoat anything, and Elizabeth was often portrayed in an unflattering light. And maybe it was just the kindle version, but there were quite a few spelling errors in this book.
Cathy M. Neal
Life of a Spoiled Child STAR

TMI, some of minor "stuff" should have been left out. Did not enjoy as much as other books on Elizabeth.
Laurie Stoll
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I was pleasantly surprised with this book. Although Elizabeth Taylor's heyday was before my time I stil enjoyed this biography more than I expected.

Also, this is an early book (1981). The information that would have interested me most, the mid 1980's on, is not included in this edition. I did enjoy it enough to seek out another biography that will include the later years.
Gary Turner
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thank you Kitty Kelley for digging in to the life of Elizabeth Taylor. What a story. I could hardly put the book down. Liz went from one episode to the next, with hardly time to catch her breath. "The Last Star" sounds spot on to me. WOW.
Kris
Aug 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this years ago before I really knew who Kelley was. Probably the least "Kitty Kelley" of her books from what I can tell, because it reads more as a good bio as opposed to third rate tabloid bio she became known for later.
Georgine
Oct 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. The author gave an objective perspective of one of the last great movie stars. Liz was both complex and simple at the same time, beautiful and selfish, liberal and independent while being so incredibly needy and dependent. Enjoy.
Rachel
Jul 29, 2010 rated it it was ok
Wow! I had NO idea what Elizabeth Taylor was like ... and after reading this book, I can see she was more than just Michael Jackson's friend. What a disturbed woman she was ...
Jon
Dec 24, 2008 rated it liked it
The great thing about Kitty is, you stop worrying about how factual it is and enjoy it for what it is.. pure unadulterated scandal-mongering. I had a blast ..Sorry Liz!
Adrienne Burko
Feb 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is one of, if not THE best celebrity bio's ever written. She wasn't a musician, but Elizabeth Taylor was the biggest rockstar who ever lived. Kitty Kelley tells it like no other!
Amber
Jun 09, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
I hadn't realized exactly how erratic and crazy Liz Taylor was until this book. She's fairly reprehensible.
Azalia
Dec 21, 2016 rated it it was ok
not bad...
Linda
Sep 10, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of those tell-all bios in the over-the-top life of Elizabeth Taylor's first 49 years.
Marylu Sanok
Nov 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
A lackluster bio of Liz. Little if anything new was disclosed. Skip this book
+ Dragonfly+
Apr 12, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This could have been the first book I read by Kitty Kelley. So much info on one of favortie actresses.
Robin
La
rated it it was ok
Dec 27, 2016
Crystal
rated it did not like it
May 05, 2010
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Liz: An Intimate Biography of Elizabeth Taylor
  • Peter Lawford: The Man Who Kept the Secrets
  • Katharine Hepburn
  • Joan Crawford: The Essential Biography
  • Haywire
  • California Dreamin': The True Story of the Mamas and the Papas The Music, the Madness, the Magic that was
  • A Dream is a Wish Your Heart Makes: My Story
  • Don't Fall Off the Mountain
  • Little Gloria... Happy at Last
  • Katharine Hepburn: A Remarkable Woman
  • Robert Mitchum: "Baby I Don't Care"
  • Papa John: An Autobiography by John Phillips (of the Mamas and the Papas)
  • Sinatra: behind the Legend
  • Spellbound by Beauty: Alfred Hitchcock and His Leading Ladies
  • Natalie: A Memoir by Her Sister
  • Life is a Banquet
  • How to Be a Movie Star: Elizabeth Taylor in Hollywood
  • Joan Crawford
Kitty Kelley is an American investigative journalist and author of several best-selling unauthorized biographies of celebrities and politicians. Described as a "poison pen" biographer, her profiles frequently contain unflattering personal anecdotes and details, and their accuracy is often questioned. Though many of her books have topped the best sellers list, Kelley's credibility and sources have ...more