Start by marking “Step Back In Time” as Want to Read:
Step Back In Time

Step Back In Time

How many lifetimes would you travel to find a love that lasts for ever?

When single career girl Jo-Jo steps onto a zebra crossing and gets hit by a car, she awakes to find herself in 1964. The fashion, the music, her job, even her romantic life: everything is different. And then it happens three more times, and Jo-Jo finds herself living a completely new life in the 1970s,
Published November 7th 2013 by Hachette Digital

Bookevin
Jun 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Originally on I Heart.. Chick Lit.

If you've not heard of Ali McNamara, please hide underneath your bed and don't come out until you've read her books. She's one of my favourite authors and when I found out that she's working on a music-themed book, I was very excited (that was a year ago when I finished reading From Notting Hill to New York.. Actually - loved it!). Then.. Step Back In Time arrived a few days ago and here I am, penning my thoughts about it. Please don't shoot me if my review does
Agi
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I have really, really enjoyed Ali McNamara's both books in the "From Notting Hill... Actually" but her stand - alone "Breakfast at Darcy's" didn't belong to my favourites and so I was curious how it is going to be with "Step Back in Time".

First of all I must say that I am totally in love with the cover of the book. I have a proof copy and its cover is black with four Jo - Jo's on it, while the new cover is dark blue with only one Jo - Jo and I guess it is Henry, and while it is also great I must
Megan Readinginthesunshine
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m a huge fan of Ali McNamara’s novels and have loved every single one, so I was really looking forward to jumping in to Step Back In Time.

When Jo-Jo is hit by a car, the last thing she expects is to wake up and find herself in 1963. The world around her is suddenly very different – from the fashion to the music, even her romantic life. But then it happens three more times, and Jo-Jo finds herself living in the 70′s, 80′s and the 90′s! Why is Jo-jo jumping through time? And if she gets back to
Steffi
Step back in time is an absolutely entertaining journey through the past 5 decades.

I absolutely loved JoJo's adventures in the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s. Jojo is a loveable character as well as her companions Ellie, Harry and George. The trends of those times, be it fashion, music and styles, recall lots of memories, even for the reader. The idea of embedding the Beatles into the story is totally unique (at least to me). Being a teenager of the 90s, I felt totally at home in that story part.

The only
Fizza
Aug 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
It's a delightful read, a perfect book for time travel fans. When Jo-Jo is hit by a car she suddenly finds herself travelling through time. Three people seems to be everywhere she ends up, Ellie, George, and Harry. She desperately wants to go back to her time, but more than that she wants to solve this mystery. Why did she traveled in time? And why are only few people from her original life are there with her? What is it that she needs to understand before things can go back to normal? Maybe thi ...more
Lynn Brown
Apr 19, 2018 rated it liked it
I love time travel books so was instantly drawn to this. The premise for the book is a great one but with the added effort of inserting Beatles song titles and references it became a little corny in places. The dialogue was also a little stilted again due to incorporating references like when a young Richard comes into the record shop with the intention of one day owing one and his father is ...Mr Branston.
Janis Griffiths
May 11, 2018 rated it did not like it
I really struggled with this. I'm about a third of the way through and giving up. The plot is witty and engaging and the characterisation is deep enough for what is basically a pleasant and inventive rom-com. What I can't get through is the terrible sub-editing. There are some real stinkers of repeated grammatical mistakes; the worst is linked to usage of 'me, myself and I'. There are also some real anachronisms - a character winning the lottery in London in 1963? It's all finally too much irrit ...more
Hannah
I love the time travelling and the main characters Jo-jo, Harry and Ellie. I like the music links in particular The Beatles I like how the story ended in Liverpool. Just this book took me a while to read compared to others by this author but it wasn't bad just not my favourite. 3.5 stars
Tin
May 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
After a year of buying this, I finally read it. I bought this on the Book Depository’s Bargain shop for only $7 and when I saw the cover page, I was immediately hooked! That “How many lifetimes would you travel to find a love that lasts for ever?” made me add this book at my cart and checkout as soon as possible. With the title itself, I knew it has a touch of time travel and I haven’t read any time travel books so this would be the first one.
I was really curious about the time travel thing sin
Nourhan Aly
Well, I usually don't read in English- beyond the academic books (because unfortunately i have to) but last month i went to a BBW book sale, and prices were ranging from $2-4 so I felt i might have a look! So I bought a dozen of books through a two-day visit, and this was one of them.

The cover is really catchy and the title as well. The language is quite "childish" but it's not a disadvantage for us as non-native English speakers (Or at least for me). I really liked the main characters: Jo-Jo(t
Tristan Hawthorn
Nov 22, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm surprised to see how many people liked this book. Now I don't make any secret of the fact that I love me a good chick lit book - done right they can be funny, heartwarming, moving and full of astute observations and acerbic wit. Unfortunately this book isn't one of them. After one chapter, I can't go on. My life is too short to spend any more time with the blandest, most inconsistent, most boring main character imaginable. There's nothing interesting or likeable about Jo-Jo, or the other two ...more
Nov 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Yet another fantastic book from Ali. I swear we love all the same things. Places, films, (other) books, food and drink. I can't put the into words the bounds of love I had for this book just like the previous three. A little nod to something I love or another film to add to my list of films I must watch and I think Ali's done it again this book can't get any better but it does every time there's always another line or mention of something that'll literally make my jump for joy or gasp.
Deb Jacobs
Nov 13, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: time-travel
I started this last night and finished it tonight. It is very easy to read, perhaps even simplistic. I love books about time-travel and that's what made me buy it, but it was not well-written. The style was a bit 'fan-fiction' like - and not in a good way.
Interesting premise spoiled by too much wordage - quantity over quality.
Sheena
Apr 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic novel! I love the idea of traveling back in time and any book that references The Beatles is a added bonus. I loved reading about the main character Jo Jo as she tries to adapt to each decade she travels to. A beautiful story, a fab book cover, this has been the best book I've read this year hands down!
Fiona Harper
Sep 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun romp through the decades, with a truly sweet love story. Had to keep turning pages to find out what happened next! Loved all the Beatles references and thought the time travel element was really well done.
Aylin
Nov 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
the most awesome book ever!love it!love it!!
Mandy Eve-Barnett
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
A fun time travel story. The references are spot on (if you are British) and bring back so many great memories.
I loved the characters interactions as they 'lived' different lives.
Highly recommended
Micki.03hotmail.Com
Apr 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
All I can say about this book is that I loved it! I'm not normally one for love stories but the author had me gripped from the start. It makes me want to read her other books. I would recommend this book to anyone and I'm glad I was given this book.
Maggie
Jun 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Liked it for the most part but I get the distinct feeling I'd have enjoyed it more if I were a Beatles fan. I found it a bit confusing in places but it was explained adequately at the end. I was left wishing I could follow the characters' stories a bit longer. But in a good way!
Texacalibooks
Feb 19, 2019 rated it liked it
An adorable chick lit book with a little time travel, and it takes place in London.
Julie
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lent to me by a friend and so glad I read it. Good, fun easy reading with lots of clues to look for along the way. Really enjoyed ir!
Dana
Jun 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Step Back In Time was written by one of my favorite British authors, Ali McNamara. McNamara enchanted me with her Love Actually series, which are fun and easy reads. Step Back In Time was an equally fun tale where Jo-Jo bounced around London in a variety of time periods. In the present, she was a too serious accountant who owned her own business. Music store owner George was the wise sage who knew about the time travel and instructed Jo-Jo to enjoy the ride. Jo-Jo's friends, Harry and Ellie, als ...more
Charlotte (novelsandteacups)
Step back in time is about a women called jo-jo who is an accountant with her own firm. She always puts her work before herself, family and friends. One day however she gets hit by a sports car on a zebra crossing and starts to travel back in time. As time traveling she starts to change and it makes her have a different perspective on life and learning how to love each day and appreciate what little you have.

This book is ultimately my favourite book and re-reading it again has reminded me how m
Joanne Vigurs
Feb 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up in a hospice whilst going though a very difficult time and it really took my mind off what was going on. I got totally immersed in the book and the storyline and could not put it down.
Love Fool
Apr 21, 2015 rated it liked it
How many lifetimes would you travel to find a love that lasts for ever?

When single career girl Jo-Jo steps onto a zebra crossing and gets hit by a car, she awakes to find herself in 1964. And then it happens three more times, and Jo-Jo finds herself living a completely new life in the 1970s, 80s and 90s. The only people she can rely on are Harry and Ellie, two companions from 2013, and George, the owner of a second-hand record store.

If she's ever to return from her travels, Jo-Jo must work out w
Ruth Mcauley
Dec 09, 2013 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book as a bit of light reading, but I felt that the time travel aspect was not explored nearly enough. It didn't feel very thought through, leaving big plot holes and contradictions. I felt that the romance between the main characters was believable, but would have liked to see them face more adversity before inevitably ending up together. It was very easy to see where the book was going, and there were not any twists that left me particularly surprised.
Sophie Francis
Jan 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Ridiculously convoluted and silly, but since it's now 3:30am on a work day and I've been reading since 11:30pm, I would say it's not that bad. Fun and silly with lots of music-related clues and jolly characters to show one the way through the vortex of time;-)
Marie-Claude Goulet
Liked it for all the Beatles references. The end
Was not what I expected. Light, entertaining read.
Karen Mace
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
A fun book to read! REally easy to get into and many likeable characters! Nice to take a walk back down memory lane too with the time travelling!
Emma
Oct 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-books
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Party Games
  • Just for Christmas
  • Could It Be I'm Falling In Love
  • The Love Detective (Love Detective, #1)
  • The Reunion
  • Cupcakes at Carrington's
  • Calling Mrs Christmas
  • The Proposal
  • Midsummer Magic
  • Country Loving (Talyton St George, #7)
  • Written in the Stars
“Sometimes we think we know what we want, but we don't actually know what we need until we find it.” 4 likes
“So, it looks like I'm all on my own again.
But isn't that how I'm supposed to prefer it?”
0 likes