Start by marking “Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragon Slayer (The Empty Crown #1)

Dragon Slayer

(The Empty Crown #1)

Ingram is a coward and weakling—at least according to his father, the king, and the royal court. He cannot use a sword, he faints at the sight of blood, and even his brilliant abilities as a strategist are not enough to overcome his failings. When his father loses a bet to the notorious Lord Mallory over the matter of a dragon slaying, he pays his debt by ordering Ingram t ...more
Published June 19th 2013 by Less Than Three Press LLC (first published June 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon Slayer, please sign up.
Kagetsuya I hope she doesn’t, because this story is really intriguing. I want more!

Ami
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a lovely story and I loved every minute of it. First of all, it has forced marriage trope. I liked that idea -- it was always fun to read.

Ingram had my heart from the get go. I felt so much for Ingram and wanted to console him when his father treated him badly. Ingram was loyal to his father first, even if his father thought of him as coward and weak, simply because Ingram was more of a thinker rather than a knight on the field. Urgh, I wanted to kick the King's ass on Ingram's behalf.
Deeze
Apr 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful tale of kings and princes and dragons lol.

I really enjoyed this wonderful medieval tale. From the first pages it kept me hooked. By the exciting climax at the end I was reading as fast as I could.

Ingram is a delightful character that had me wanting to hug and protect him. While Mallory was a hero right from the start.

There is no on page sex in this book, which is a plus for me, but the feelings that developed over time between Mallory and Ingram gave me the perfect fix of M/M romanc
Heller
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was quite a fabulous fantasy story about a Prince, Ingram, forced by his father to marry a dragon slayer, Mallory, who is the warden of their kingdom's northern territories.

There was some interesting world building and I enjoyed the build up of the characters and their relationship. I loved Ingram from the beginning and it while it took me a bit to warm to Mallory, he became a richer, more substantial character for me as I read on. Sex is fade to black and that definitely works for the sto
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Apr 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Mandy*reads obsessively* by: Vio
Oh the intrigue and adventure, the secrets and plots, the lying. But there was also the love and sweetness, the caring and adventure and dragons.
Ingram, his father the king is an asshat, treats Ingram poorly and at first opportunity marries him off to a wild looking dragon slayer from a far off land.
Ingram actually takes all of this well, considering and actually starts to like his new home and husband, but you know you can't fill the pages with peace and prosperity.
Like in a lot of these kin
Cole Riann
Review posted at The Armchair Reader.

I really have grown to love Isabella Carter's books. So I was really excited for this one, which not only promises to be an in-depth story because it's the first of a series, but also that I know she likes to really dig into her fantasy worlds. In many ways you can see that this book is a setup, but if you didn't know it was the first book of a series, I think you'd find that it felt like a whole book. It isn't just setup, but it does a really good job of giv
Julio Genao
Jun 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: dnf
abandoned at 95 percent, because sometimes you can get over fade-to-black sex if there's a proper story going on, but not if the story makes hardly any sense and hinges on finger-wiggling sorcery and dumb secrets and very little else.

this publisher is dreadful. i am 0-for-5.
ttg
Jun 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a very enjoyable m/m fantasy read about a prince who is shuffled off into a marriage to a Lord, under his jerky father’s orders to act as a spy. But poor Ingram soon realizes that everything is not as it seems--his new husband is more than a dragon-slaying brute, his father’s demands are rooted in baseless paranoia, and he even finds within himself aspects and depths and courage that he never realized he had.

I liked Ingram and Mallory very much; they have a slow, but sweet developing ro
MLE
May 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm, lendle
A sweet fantasy romance with enough real danger to keep it from being too much. I really liked the main character, and seeing how he grew over the course of the story. His love interest is strong, but not controlling, or overbearing. I'm looking forward to reading more.
Bookwatcher
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, dragon, glbt-gay
NOOOOOOO too soon to end! Nooooo... more more MORE!

Ingram and Mallory were amazing! Love Ingram, and hate how he was treated by his own father, the king.

To a fantasy book, it's a great mystery story
Love the mystery... cues were all around the book, telling me the truth about both men, but just near the last page I connect all the dots and discover it!

I ADORED all the dragons! Yeah! Plural... more than one!!! LOVE THEM ALL!

I loooooves the magic! It will take a while to start to be mentioned, but
Lily
Jun 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.2 stars. As promised to my dear Vio, I took the plunge first with this one and thoroughly enjoyed it. Before seeing Cole's review, I was not aware 'Dragon Slayer' was the initial part of a series; luckily, I was prepared for some sort of cliffhanger or 'to be continued' ending, so I refrained from unladylike noises of interrupted reading/frustration at the end...

The story was very well written, with a quite fast paced plot, solid world building and engaging characters. I liked Ingram's vulnera
DaisyGirl
Too many twists and turns made for a rushed ending

3.0 Stars

I was loving this book up through the 85% mark. The world building was wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed the character development. There are a plethora of characters so I found myself using the search function on my Kindle a number of times. I honestly didn't mind because the cast of characters made for a robust story. It wasn't unexpected since experience has taught me that fantasy books are often chock full of interesting characters.
Dreamer
Jun 28, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. Average fantasy m/m romance, quite a few typos, sex scenes are off camera. The end got a little confusing and felt rushed.

Prince Ingram is unloved and derided by his father King Roderick. He finds himself married to Lord Mallory as reward for Mallory slaying a troublesome dragon.

"I saw him, I spoke to him. There is a traitor in your midst, Father, a real one, not one if your imagination. And he is feeding on your paranoia until you dance like a puppet on a string. You aren't a king, b
Pjm12
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a great little fantasy|politcal intrigue novella. Ingram is the classic introspective unassuming hero, sneered at by his warrior father who sees him as worthless.

Nothing could be further from the truth of course, but when he is bundled off to a far off land with a potential traitor, Ingram is determined to get his father's approval.

Mallory is a mystery. But the story is not long enough to keep up his engimatic front. It doesn't take long for Ingram to have to question his loyalities.

Book
Trisha Harrington
Jan 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Trisha by: Bookwatcher
I need more! This book was so good and I was so engrossed in the characters and the plot and I thought it was just really good, and then the ending happened. It didn't take away from the book or anything, but I am so annoyed that the sequel isn't out. But I think there will be a sequel at some point, because Goodreads says this is the first in a series, so I will wait patiently for more from these characters. I hope it will be these characters, at least.

This was sweeter than I thought it would b
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
Dragon Slayer is a lovely and sweet read, one with more storyline and depth than I had previously imagined. I had started reading with the idea that this would be some happy-go-lucky fluff, however what I got was, well.. more I suppose. Of course, this novel was not some dark and gritty story, it was still quite fluffy, however it had a solid and somewhat intriguing storyline that most definitely hints at a sequel.

Although this book is obviously fantasy, its taste is somewhat different to what
⚣Michaelle⚣
3.7 Stars

Despite the lack of sexy-times I was really digging this story. I loved the world-building and mythology created, plus both MCs were growing on me...and then it was over and I realized there was no Book 2! WTF? Considering that ending (very cliff-hangery) I expected there to be more, but it's been more than 5 years since this was published so I guess not. Very disappointed.
Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
This review can be found at The Blog of Sid Love.

According to the King, Ingram is worthless as a prince. He can’t use a sword, barely knows how to fight and faints at the sight of blood. But under that ‘weakling’ exterior, he’s a magnificent strategist with a soft heart that just wants what’s best for his kingdom. When the King loses a bet to a foe, Ingram suddenly finds himself wedded to Lord Mallory and his life turns upside down. Not only does he have to leave his home, and his belov
multitaskingmomma
Jun 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars!

After searching so long, I finally found a fantasy novel that lived up to my fantasy novel expectations. Forget the MM genre on this one! This is a truly great first installment to what would be a fantastic series.

Issa
Aug 25, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, z2015-challenge
As the blurb states, Ingram’s father, the King, orders Ingram to marry Lord Mallory, the dragon slayer, to pay the father’s debt. More interested in strategy then taking the sword, Ingram is a disgrace to his father. But the King suspects Mallory of treason and says Ingram can redeem himself if he finds evidence of Mallory’s betrayal and turns him over to the King.

This is par for the course really for Ingram and his father, so what really concerns Ingram is how easily Mallory is taking this arra
J.B. Sanders
Mar 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This is the book I would have liked to have had when I was first reading fantasy. It has all the elements I love -- dashing heroes, smart main characters, dragons -- and a really sweet romance between the main characters, both guys. Seriously, if you know a young gay guy who's into fantasy & scifi, give them this book. Or an old gay guy, for that matter, because despite the fact that the main characters are in their early 20's, the book can be enjoyed by anyone. Highly recommended.

Notes scor
Ili Anna
This book was AWESOME!!
The book had a lot of things i like. For example:
A beautiful prince, a badass lord/dragon slayer, forced marriage, dragons, magic and magicians, sirens and a cute love atory. Did I mention the dragons? Yeah cause they cannot be forgotten. I really really want a book 2 but so far there's nothing in the horizon. I specially loved to see Ingram turn from an insecure, emotionally abused person to someone strong enough to protect what was his. It would have been better if they
S.J. Himes
Dec 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Desperate for a sequel

Fantastic. Fade to black sex scenes but the world building is top notch. Great characters. Ingram showed true progress as a character. Sequel please!
❂ Endless
Jun 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
This book NEEDS a sequel, like yesterday....c'mon!
Christy
I am inspired by reading really good fantasy adventure so I was excited to read this story when I read the description. Not to mention there are dragons and a dragon slayer! Wow! This story was also filled with court intrigue, backstabbing, revenge, a two faced monarchy, and a love story. The writing was intense, crisp and clean with the storyline being unusual enough to really grasp my attention and dig in.

Ingram is the second son to the king, a brilliant strategist who can't use a sword and fa
Sandra
I enjoyed this audiobook a lot. I'm familiar with this narrator from Wood, Screws, & Nails and All The Colors Of Love, but I liked him much better here. His tone and the quality of his voice matched this world very well.

The story is a bit of a familiar one, from other fantasy novels I've read. Forced marriage but of course they fall in love and discover some treachery then need to save the kingdom. But that familiarity did not lessen my enjoyment at all. It was great to watch Mallory develop
vLadimiR
Sep 24, 2013 rated it liked it

This novel by Isabella Carter set in the fantasy world of Abelen tells the story of young prince Ingram and his ongoing pursuit of winning his father's love and respect. Unfortunately for the prince, it seems his efforts are futile because the King thinks him weak and incompetent simply for not being able to wield a sword. Despite the prince's efforts to compensate for this with his brilliant intellect, the King is blind to his accomplishments. But when a visit from a mysterious nobleman claimin
 ~♥ Elle ♥~
Jun 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
4.5 Stars

I've always loved stories with dragons in them and I was totally captivated by this one. The author revealed just the right amount of mystery, intrigue and action with each turn of the page that you can't help but read on. There were very well written characters you can't help but love, hate or be heartbroken with. This was more of an adventure than a love story. The intimacy between the main characters was mostly off page so I'm a little disappointed because it could have been so much
Kathleen
This was superbly well written and I was utterly surprised by the ending. Some may be disappointed but I liked that it wasn't trite and traditional. I would love to read more about Ingram and Mallory but even if no more comes, this is definitely worth a read.
M'rella
Loved the story, loved the dragons, but the characters didn't often make sense. Still, wouldn't mind the next installment.
C
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: lt3press, mm-romance
I loved it until the very end, right about when I realized it was the first of a series. Wish that would have been made clear before I read. Regardless I will read any and all follow up stories. :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• The Engineered Throne (Unbreakable Soldiers #1)
  • Finding the Wolf (The Dragon's Hoard, #1)
  • Battle of Will
  • Consorting With Dragons
  • Reawakening (Reawakening, #1)
  • Goblins, Book One
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords #2)
“ 'Mallory,' he used to say, 'When a woman who can break you in half tells you that you're hers, you nod and agree.' ” 5 likes