Start by marking “Gravity's Revenge” as Want to Read:
Gravity's Revenge

Gravity's Revenge

(Lady of Gems #3)

A magic school. A heist. And enchantresses falling from the sky.

In the Mindvault Academy, magic imbued within the stone reroutes the flow of gravity. The school’s enchantments allow for architectural wonders that inspire the empire’s next generation of great minds.

Now those minds are falling. The Academy’s spells are collapsing, its keystone jewels stolen.
Published July 1st 2013 by Smashwords Edition (first published June 26th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Gravity's Revenge, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gravity's Revenge

Start your review of Gravity's Revenge
mark monday
Dec 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy-modern
Gravity's Revenge is a high fantasy hostage thriller. pretty original! the plot was a unique experience for me. kudos to the author for putting together a fantasy with an exceedingly well-developed magic system, appealing characters, a unique setting, a lot of twists & turns, and a highly intriguing threat. and a hostage situation! I just cannot emphasize enough how pleasantly surprised I was to realize that this was what the novel was essentially about.

like a lot of active revie
Robin
May 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I have been a Marling fan since I first got my hands on the excellent Brood of Bones, the first book set in the Lands of Loam, and look forward with eager anticipation to each new release—and he is a remarkably prolific, chalking up four books in the space of two years. Lucky for us, he keeps getting better and better.

Gravity's Revenge is easily the most intense of Enchantress Hiresha’s three books. What begins as the innocuous introduction of a student to the Academy swiftly turns i
Eric
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Gravity's Revenge is the third book of the Enchantress series, and continues the development of Elder Enchantress Hiresha, Tethiel the Lord of the Feast, and others.

This book is by far the most straightforward of the three, following a basic fantasy quest/action storyline.

The story opens with Hiresha escorting the daughter of her maid, Janny, up the magical Skyway to the Academy of enchantresses. On their way we are treated to both explanations and demonstrations of the Academy'
Christa
Jun 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Gravity's Revenge is the fourth of A.E. Marling's books set in the Lands of Loam, and the third starring the Enchantress Hiresha. In this novel, Hiresha is forced to protect her university, a bizarrely fascinating place of magical instruction, from the invasion of Bright Palms, strictly-regimented and unfeeling people, who hold the university and its students and teachers hostage. Beloved characters, such as Maid Janny and Lord Tethiel make reappearances, even better than before.

I ha
Rosalind M
Dec 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Glad to find out that this is not the last of the Enchantress series. I first checked Amazon before DREAM STORM SEA was posted, so when I finished this book, I was left mixed feelings about the ever-wavering state of the Fos-Hiresha-Tethiel triad. Tethiel's dark nature makes for an uneasy companionship, but the continued mistrust of others (even in the face of his moments of heroism) has me rooting more for him than for Hiresha and Fos at times. It'll be interesting to see whose instincts are tr ...more
Olivia
Jul 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Do you like non-stop action? Dizzying landscapes and uncertain stakes? Feeling terrified and exhausted and exulted along with the main characters? Watching as beautiful things are destroyed for the sake of preserving that which is even more beautiful?

I loved this. I had a hard time putting it down, but I often had to, it was so stressful. Hiresha proves yet again that she can force her way through her sleepiness in times of peril. (view spoiler) ...more
Gregory Close
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A taut narrative, skillfully wrought, with a continuing focus on engaging characters and a fantastical setting that is like a new character all unto itself. The internal illustrations did a great service to this setting, the magical Mindvault Academy, and served as a wonderful spark in imagining the gravity-defying world in which the tale unfolds. Marling uses his laws of magic (and gravity) consistently and creatively, and the best part of this is that it holds true for his protagonists and ant ...more
Carolien
Jul 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Update after reading it a second time, and this time having first read the previous installments.

There are series where you can read the books out of order and through detailed descriptions/memories you can still make sense of the storyline and enjoy it. This is not one of those books, and it’s all the better for it.

First reading:
Didn't manage to finish it. Storyline made little sense, by far not enough background info, no character development in sight anywhere. Tried my best but I got
Madison Keller
Apr 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
The artwork is stunning, and adds to book tremendously. The structures in the mindvault academy are so strange that it really helps to see them laid out visually.

This book isn’t as dark as Brood of Bones, nor is it as light-hearted as Fox’s Bride. Unlike the first two HIresha books, this one plays out more like an adventure novel.

The book starts out with Hiresha returning to the MIndvault Academy, in order to initiate Janny’s daughter, Minna, in as a novice. Returning wit
Deanna Stanley
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
AS a contributor to A.E. Marling's Kickstarter I was fortunate enough to get a read-ahead copy of Graity's Revenge. Wow. I could not put this down. Really - I kept sneaking reads while at work, and stayed up too late at night reading it. This is without a doubt the best book he's written.

Gravity's Revenge is the third book about the Enchantress Hiresha. This takes place a couple of years after his last book, The Fox's Bride. Hiresha is teaching at the MIndvault Academy, and is highly
Daniel Clark
Oct 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like this series. I still love the magic of this bedazzled world, the sleeping magic, and the main character. I love her coolness, sarcasm, sense of humor, calculating methods, and loyalty.
I read this with text-to-speech narration, and I'm noticing that it doesn't jive with this type of author. His writing can be understated (you have to read between the lines sometimes), and I feel like I'm trying to bail water with a laundry basket--not quite catching everything. This book was a
Elizabeth Ellen
Nov 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
The innovative imagination of A.E. Marling continues in the adventures of the bejeweled Hiresha, this time more intertwined with the trickster Lord of the Feast, Tethiel. Marling's imagined universe is rich not only in culture but in innovation, the world filled to the brim with complexities of human interaction on every level.

The pace from the invasion on is breakneck (a little pun there, considering the subject).

Even if a reader hasn't joined adventures one or two, this
Lara
Aug 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: z-2013
When I started reading this I didn't realize it is the 3rd book in the series. However, I think the author did a good job explaining thing so I didn't feel lost. There were clearly references to earlier books, but I'm not sure to what extent there were spoilers. And the characters are not easy to love. Each has flaws, and the heroine has to deal with many who turn out to be different than she thought. And those she should be able to depend on are less than supportive. Yet, she is true to her own ...more
Kim Power
Mar 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marling
I have enjoyed all her books but this one not quite so much. She took a risk and moved her characters into a surreal context. Some great characters from past books are omitted entirely, and at times I found the dream/reality inversion as confusing as our heroine. The strong narrative of the earlier books is diluted by the "sliding doors" phenomena, and the drama seemed more contrived in a sense. I wondered if it was a parable about human treatment of animals. And that almost preachiness diluted ...more
Pashi
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Hiresha's fight against the Bright Palms as she strives to save her academy, her home, swooping through windows, running upside down on bridges, spraying jewels every which way was undoubtedly one of the coolest things I have ever read. Marling's vivid, poetic, and enchantingly descriptive text exudes a captivating backdrop for an equally captivating story and cast of characters.

By far, so far, the best installment of the Lands of Loam series! I am hopeful that Dream Storm Sea is not the sole r
Jently
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful third trip into Hiresha's corner of the Lands of Loam. I greatly enjoyed the previous two books and this new addition didn't disappoint. Hiresha has come a long way since Brood of Bones and in Gravity's Revenge she really gets a chance to work more on her own and show how much she has grown. It's a more action oriented book than the last two but we still get a satisfying dose of our favorite characters and a deeper peek into Tethiel. I'm already looking forward to the next book and I ...more
Jen
Jun 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely wonderful, such a joy to read. Insanely creative, intensely clever, and just plain beautiful. I'm waiting to find out A.E. Marling is a nom de plume for an already famous author wanting to break away from others expectations, though in truth no one writes like him. Adore his writing! Gravity's Revenge is a relentless read, putting familiar characters through the wringer, pitting a brilliant mind, a strong body, and a lord of illusions against a relentless foe. It's an incredible ride!
Ellie Ann
Jul 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I'm amazed by this book.
Not only are the ideas and characters new, real, and full of pathos, but the writing style is so unique and beautifully imagined! The story on a paragraph level was wonderfully entertaining, I enjoyed the prose so much. Then the book on a holistic level was brilliant...I loved the story and characters!
I'd call this literary fantasy, but with a fast enough pace to keep anyone's attention! Highly recommended.
Danielle
Feb 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This has been my least favorite in the series. Two chapters in and already, there's more going on in book 4 than there was in all of book 3! It felt like this book was necessary to get our protagonist where she needs to be for book 4, but it was just a little treacherous to read. All of that said, I adore Hiresha -- she's flawed, noble, independent, and feisty. She's unsure of herself but certain that she always has to move forward. She just might be my favorite character of 2014.
Claudia Wair
Jan 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
More mystery in the Lands of Loam. We get a peek into Hiresha’s past and the political goings-on at the Academy. And now enemies from the outside are trying to destroy the great Mindvault.

I can never get enough of the Enchantress, her magical skill (that comes at such a high price) and watching her grow. I also am a little in love with the Fennec, and desperately want one in my life.
Mel Horne
Jul 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sf-f, adventure
Breathless! Full of action , kept me interested all the way through. Thank you A.E. Marling for a whirlwind of a tale. The characters are filling out and are more engaging. An enjoyable book all round.
mirba
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
good reading, very well written, unfortunately it's another one of those books that are just in reality the first 3 chapters of a book, and if you want to read more you'll have to buy the next 3 chapters and so on.
There's no ending and no closure whatsoever.
Carrie
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
I liked this, but the action had me constantly frustrated trying to follow along. The throwing jewels thing seemed so vulnerable and unintentionally hilarious. I wish this had been better marked as part of a series!
Glynis Hamlett
Jan 10, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
By far the best yet in this collection of books.. So glad I discovered this author..
Oct 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013ebook, fantasy
This series has really grown on me.
Alex
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
An action-packed, gem-flinging romp through an Academy that I desperately want to visit. Perhaps in my dreams....
Clodia Metelli
Jul 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I really enjoyed this further thrilling adventure of the wonderful Enchantress Hiresha!
Dani Rodriguez
Every land of Loam book is better then the last.
Meghan
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
this book totally wins the best bad guy you love to hate and hate yourself for loving award!!! he is totally smexy. this is my favourite of the series. I hope minna becomes her little minion.
John
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great book. Great suspense and immersive world. I liked the unique magic and characters in this book.

• In Siege of Daylight (Compendium of Light, Dark & Shadow, #1)
  • As the Crow Flies
  • Inherited Magic
  • Mimes Chimes and Rhymes
  • Dragonhorse and Seeker of the Forgotten Knowledge (Dragonhorse Saga, #1)
  • Seven Tears
  • Witch Hearts
  • Hell's Chimney
  • Goblins Know Best: The Trivial Trials of Bogrot and Gorag
  • Shardfall (The Shardheld Saga, #1)
  • Paint Chips
  • Lydia
  • The Black God's War (Splendor and Ruin, #0.5)
  • Otherworldly (Protocol, #1)
  • The Ghosting of Gods
  • Hard Times in Dragon City (Shotguns & Sorcery #1)
  • One Greek is not Enough
  • Defiance (Dragonics & Runics #1)
A.E. Marling wrote his first fantasy novella after his freshman year in high school. In college, he found nothing gave him a greater urge to write than science lectures, and he sat through a lot of ‘em. He has yet to repent his fascination with fantasy and is intrigued by its grip on the human imagination.

Both ambidextrous and word-voracious, his diet ranges from Arthurian legends to J

Lady of Gems (7 books)
  • Gown of Shadow and Flame
  • Brood of Bones
  • Fox's Bride
  • Dream Storm Sea
  • Magic Banquet
  • Dark Lord's Wedding
“He who is without fear has no hope.” 0 likes
“Garments are our second skin, and the truer of the two for being the one we choose.” 0 likes