Start by marking “The Too-Clever Fox (Grisha Verse, #2.5)” as Want to Read:
The Too-Clever Fox (Grisha Verse, #2.5)

The Too-Clever Fox

(Grishaverse #2.5)

In Ravka, just because you avoid one trap, it doesn't mean you'll escape the next. This story is a companion folk tale to Leigh Bardugo’s upcoming novel, Siege and Storm, the second book in the Grisha Trilogy.

This story is also included in Some of the Best From Tor.com, 2013 Edition
Published June 4th 2013 by Tor Books

To ask other readers questions about The Too-Clever Fox, please sign up.
Perí No. Id love to read a book with Sturmhond tories…moreNo. I´d love to read a book with Sturmhond tories(less)

~Poppy~
Jul 04, 2017 rated it liked it
“Just because you escape one trap, doesn’t mean you will escape the next.”

"The fox and the nightingale made a quiet life together. A lesser creature might have held Koja’s mistakes against him, might have mocked him for his pride. But Lula was not only clever. She was wise."

I liked her story but I saw that coming :)

Emily May
Jun 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Emily May by: karen
Read this even if you don't like or haven't read Bardugo's Grisha trilogy. It can be read here for free: http://www.tor.com/stories/2013/06/th...

Quick review:

1) This story is wonderful.
2) It has nothing to do with the Grisha trilogy.
3) I don't particularly like the Grisha trilogy - first one was okay but the second was disappointing, IMO. Haven't read the third.
4) This is a little folk tale about a fox who survives by outsmarting others - but has he finally met his match?
5) It's just the right a
karen
holy shit, was this good.

this is an author whose novels i have been meaning to read for a while now, on the basis of all the glowing reviews here on the gr and on those gorgeous covers,

but i just haven't gotten around to them yet, and now don't i feel foolish…

because this is fantastic. i was apprehensive about reading this, having been burned by that elizabeth hand one that scoffs at you for not having read the larger work it is referencing, but i was assured by karly that these can stand alo
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
This is a fable about a fox.

description

Not a cute fox, though: an ugly one.

description

But he's clever, and smart is more important than looks.

Revisiting "The Too-Clever Fox" by Leigh Bardugo, I was charmed by this animal fable, right up until the point it slapped Koja the fox - and me - upside the head for thinking we had everything all figured out.

Told in deceptively simple style, this tale follows Koja from his birth (when he's almost eaten by his mother for being so small and ugly, and is saved only by his quick
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
5 Stars for the brilliant cover

I'm iffy about the story because I despise hunters so I left it at a three because I loved the tales within the story =)

Fall fox:

Koja's mom wanted to kill him at birth because he wasn't a pretty little fox at all and he was a runt.

↑ Unlike our sweet little fox picture above!

Koja seemed to always get out of sticky situations. He even befriended the great bear, Ivan Gostov, who had wanted to eat him at one time but became friends with Koja instead.

Koja was friends with ma
Sana
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
God damn I love her stories so much. Gotta admit, they are way better than the Grisha trilogy. These plot twists in her short stories always take me by surprise!

You can read it for FREE here! Highly recommended.
Beth
Sep 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
Koja is such a clever little fox! I felt a bit sad reading this short story I can't say it was a "nice" read. It's so difficult to explain, but is was really well done. Slightly predictable, but none the less I really liked Koja. How does that happen after 30 odd pages?!
Nat
Feb 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
“Just because you escape one trap, doesn’t mean you will escape the next.”

With Leigh Bardugo announcing the upcoming release of her new short story collection, The Language of Thorns, I decided to take my shot with this swift tale in the meanwhile.

The Too-Clever Fox is told through the eyes of Koja, a clever and quick-witted fox. We follow his journey of outsmarting his enemies, until his trust and cunningness is bestowed upon the wrong person.

“It is always the same trap,” she said gently. “You
Shelby *trains flying monkeys*
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2014
Koja the fox was born ugly. His mother almost ate him right after birth to rid the world of him. The clever little fox talked his way out of it.

Beware of thinking you are the most clever..it really never works out that way.
♥ℂĦℝΪՖƬΪℕÅ

This was a very enjoyable novella. It was dark and beautiful and it made me really sad 😭. This was all about having different perspectives :) It was about an ugly skinny fox name Koja who could talk his way out of every bad situation he found himself in. Whether it be being eaten as a kit to hounds to being eaten by a bear to a hunters trap, whatever the case he always had a trick up his sleeve (or rather paw lol)
Fables&Wren
Nov 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
WrensReads Review:

*Mother is hungry after giving birth and about to eat The Clever Fox.*

"A lesser creature might have despaired at such cruelty, but the fox saw vanity in his mother's carefully tended coat and snowy paws.

'I will tell you,; he replied. 'When we walk in the wood, the animals will say, 'Look at that ugly kit with his hansome mother!' And even when you are old and gray, they will not talk of how you've aged, but of how such a beautiful mother gave birth to such an ugly, scrawny son.
Sushi
Aug 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Color me impressed, Leigh Bardugo.

A 30-page delight presenting a little fox that usually gets itself out of trouble using nothing but its' wits. It turns out that maybe it might be too clever for it's own good.

This has got nothing to do with the Grisha series and is way too entertaining to miss out on.

Katerina Kondrenko
8 out of 10

Ревью в моем блоге/This review on my blog
Living A Thousand Lives

This is a tale (which was mentioned by Alina in Siege and Storm) about a fox which was born such ugly that even his mother wanted to eat him. But he managed to talk her with flattery not to do this. This is the start of life of a very clever fox. The ending is epic)

The Grishaverse (Вселе
Deborah Obida
Sep 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
She was wise.

I'm yet to see any of Miss Leigh's book that I didn't like, Hope that day never comes. This is a good folklore with animals and humans. The world building and depiction is great. Just as always the writing is great. I prefer the Witch of Duva to this but I still love this.

The story follows a clever fox who got outsmarted but survived because he asked f
Azbaqiyah
Feb 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, novella
Why Ravka fairy tales were sooo dark? But I enjoy this one. The fox keep remind me about Nikolai ngeee...
Tuba Sayed
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Reem Ghabbany
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok
this was such a useless story
Dannii Elle
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This can be found online here: http://www.tor.com/2013/06/04/the-too...

This is an accompanying short story to the Grisha series but can be read as a stand-alone piece.

This was an entrancing and enchanting short folk-tale written in an evocative and beguiling style. The twist to the narrative took me completely by surprise and I had my heart in my mouth whilst reading the ending

The symbolism, the attention to detail and the subtle nod towards other fairy and folk tales, such as 'Little Red Riding
Taylor
3.5/5 Stars

"But if Koja had words, then he had hope."

I personally enjoyed this novella more than The Tailor (Genya's story), but was a tad disappointed I predicted the twist long before the final reveal. Well, as long before as you can in a 30-page short. Overall it's a fast-paced read and keeps you invested until the end.

Sidenote: #ThatCoverThough
Sara MinHerondale
Nov 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Loved it.
Yoda
Nov 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Its a nice short story about a fox. To be honest I thought it would be about Nikolai (because of the nickname) but I still wasnt disappointed,
Its written as a fairytale/old folktale.

Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
Just as with The Witch of Duva, this is a little folk tale that can be read separate from the Grisha trilogy as it has no connection to it.

description

The story is about an ugly, but very clever fox, Koja. He manages to evade traps from the very beginning of his life, when his mother thought about eating him. His silver tongue and wits get him out of all sorts of troubles until a skilled hunter moves to the city near his woods. Now the forest animals turn to him for advice.

I liked The Too-Clever Fox, and ro
Figgy
Jun 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Figgy by: Karen
Shelves: reviewed

Koja was untroubled. “I can bear ugliness,” he said. “I find the one thing I cannot live with is death.”

This short story had all the elements required of a good fable. Evocative, yet simple language, characters you feel for, and a moral you can see coming a mile off, but which you find yourself wanting to deny until the very end.

I fell in love with Koja, the eponymous "too-clever fox" and, as with all great short stories, I was sad to say goodbye, but felt it wrapped up and resolved itself nice
Reign
Oct 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I've always loved animal parables since I was a kid. I remember having a book with collection of animal stories, and while reading this, it all came back to me - the love for the stories as I browse all my English and Filipino school books cover to cover as soon as I get one just to read all the short stories present there. So somehow, nostalgia just won and I really love this one because it was well-written and entertaining.
Len Evans Jr
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: owned, leigh-bardugo
I loved this story... it reads like a classic fairy tale and has a twist that I never saw coming. Bravo to Ms. Bardugo!!! The personalities of the various woodland creature were fun. And of course Koja was awesome... most likely the cleverest fox ever! This story reminds us that no matter how clever or wise one may be... it is always good to have friends, because sometime being clever is just not enough!
Irene Sim
Apr 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't know if this story is based on Russian Folklore or is entirely out of Bardugo's imagination, but reading it reminded me so much of Nikolai. Alina was so right to compare him to Koja. His smart mouth, his charm despite his ugly appearance, his struggle through life to prove his worthiness to the world. It's as if Nikolai's character came out of this tale. I loved it...

"If he was a lesser creature..."
Amelia Oswald
I read it without knowing anything about it. I thought it was about Nikolai (because you know Alina used to call him that) but no !! It didn't about him . It was just a folklore . I couldn't be more wrong though.
Nienora
Nov 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
“Just because you escape one trap, doesn’t mean you will escape the next.”

Loved it. ❤ My favorite so far.
Maggie ☘ (Reader-in-Wonderland)
*3.5/5 stars*

“But if Koja had words, then he had hope.”

The Too-Clever Fox reads like beautiful folktale. Like a fairytale your grandmother once read you when you were a child. I personally prefer the twisted Witch of Duva because I grew up on stories of Hansel, Gretel and Baba Yaga, but this was an enchanting little story nonetheless.
Beautifully written and with Bardugo's clever little plot twists, this is a tale from the Grisha world you cannot miss.

“What’s a bit more blood? thought Koja. The
Ben Alderson
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I saw this end coming... but still an enjoyable story. I love the hidden messages within this stories.
  • The Spring Before I Met You (The Lynburn Legacy, #0.25)
  • Brimstone and Marmalade
  • Heads Will Roll (Necromancer, #0.1)
  • The Audition (Seraphina, #0.5)
  • Mother, Crone, Maiden
  • Bridge of Snow (The Winner's Trilogy, #0.5)
  • The King's Guard (Fire and Thorns, #0.7)
  • Men Who Wish to Drown
  • The Ash-Born Boy (The Near Witch, #0.5)
  • A Dawn Most Wicked (Something Strange and Deadly, #1.5)
  • The Horrid Glory of Its Wings
  • Among the Thorns
  • The Automaton's Treasure (The Assassin's Curse #0.6)
  • Praying For Rain (The Lotus Wars, #0.5)
  • Among the Nameless Stars (For Darkness Shows the Stars, #0.5)
  • Hunting Monsters (Hunting Monsters #1)
  • Annie and Fia (Mind Games, #0.5)
  • Ponies
Leigh Bardugo is a #1 New York Times bestselling author of fantasy novels and the creator of the Grishaverse. With over three million copies sold, her Grishaverse spans the Shadow and Bone Trilogy, the Six of Crows Duology, The Language of Thorns, and King of Scars—with more to come. (To hear about new releases, tour dates, and giveaways first, sign up for Leigh's newsletter here.) Her short stori ...more

Grishaverse (9 books)
  • Shadow and Bone (Grisha Verse, #1)
  • Siege and Storm (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #2; Grishaverse, #2)
  • Little Knife (Grisha Verse, #2.6)
  • Ruin and Rising (Grisha Verse, #3)
  • Six of Crows (Six of Crows, #1; Grishaverse, #4)
  • Crooked Kingdom (Six of Crows, #2)
  • King of Scars (Nikolai Duology, #1)
  • Untitled (Nikolai Duology, #2)
  • Untitled (Six of Crows, #3)
“I can bear ugliness,” he said. “I find the one thing I cannot live with is death.” 48 likes
“It is always the same trap,” she said gently. “You longed for conversation. The bear craved jokes. The gray wolf missed music. The boar just wanted someone to tell her troubles to. The trap is loneliness, and none of us escapes it. Not even me.” 44 likes