Start by marking “Kanban in Action” as Want to Read:
Kanban in Action

Kanban in Action

Do you have more work that needs to be done than you have time to do it? Do you suffer from interruptions and context switching? Would your work benefit from faster feedback and shorter lead times? Are you challenged to find time and guidance for improving your way of working? If you answered yes to any of these questions, kanban is for you!

Kanban is an emerging second gen
Published September 2013 by Manning Publications Co.

To ask other readers questions about Kanban in Action, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kanban in Action

Start your review of Kanban in Action
Henrik Berglund Berglund
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I liked the practical writing style and the pragmatic approach taken by the authors. Contrary to what I have experienced at "lean" and kanban focused conferences, there is no bashing of other ideas nor any fundamentalism in this book. Very nice, and quite in line with lean and agile values.

Instead the authors places kanban in context, also discussing alternative and complementary approaches that teams may want to try. They also do away with the misconception that Kanban is something that you can
James Williams
May 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: tech
We've been using Scrum at work for several years now -- and we've had a lot of success with it. But recently, the team I'm on has started to notice that (for various and unnecessary reasons), our workload is not as amenable to Scrum as it used to be. So we're starting to talk about looking for something else and Kanban is the most obvious starting point.

Skimming Wikipedia had given me a rough idea of what Kanban was, but this book filled in the details in a breezy, entertaining, and enjoyable-t
Vít Kotačka
Feb 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent book about Kanban. If you are new to Kanban, start with this one and later you can continue with the bible Kanban Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business from David J. Anderson.

If you already know something about Kanban and you want to be inspired, you can pick this book too. And if you are into agile for couple of years and you want to move on, this can show you the possible way.

Kanban in Action is both: practical and strong in theory as well. And there is a val
Sebastian Gebski
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
True surprise - a positive one. I expected this book to be something like 'Kanban for dummies', but as I consider myself agile zealot, I've decided to read it anyway and it was a good pick:

1.) It's not trivializing the topic - each chapter truly has its purpose and it's clear that author have a clear vision of what they'd like to hand on. It's a problem with half of agile books - they feel like you're reading the same sentence over and over.

2.) The examples make sense and they are not too trivia
Jano Suchal
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was ok
TL;DR If you already read a little about Kanban, you can skip half of this book.

Visualize your actual workflow using stick-it notes on a board with columns representing stages of your process. Lower the times it takes to a workitem to be done/shipped/deployed (lead time) and increase throughput. How? Stop starting, start finishing and limit your work-in-progress (WIP). How do you limit your WIP? Setup constraints on WIP per team member, per process stage (columns on board) or per work classes (l
Davi Bauer
Apr 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kanban
Excellent book. I learn a lot along the reading. Practical, objective, well written and to the point. Kanban is a meta-process: an improvement process for an already-existing process.

The book teaches how you can start using Kanban today, independently of the current situation of your project, only making the work visible. Improvement opportunities will appear when you start reducing the working in process.

You can learn the principles of Kanban through some games such as pass the pennies. A gre
Jen
May 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
They did a great job on explaining the theory and the application of Kanban in an engaging way. I already knew quite about about the fundamentals so while I read the full book to make sure I wasn't missing anything, it was presented in such a way that you really don't need to. You can skip chapters, read summaries and sidebars and really find the information you're looking for easily. I appreciate the bits of humor that they threw in there to keep it from being a dull business book. Would defini ...more
Armando Ferreira
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I did read this book as preparation for the PMI-ACP exam. It is a really good book, especially for beginners and intermediate level Kanban enthusiasts. The first section is fantastic and gives the reader a quick but effective introduction to Kanban, condensing the most relevant concepts in a few pages. In the other two sections concepts are fleshed out in a progressive manner, for readers looking for more details and advanced topics. If you want to learn about Kanban, I recommend you this book.
Karl Metivier
Jun 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: agile
This is a very good and visual hands-on book about Kanban. Plenty of advices for agile coaches, developers, ScrumMasters and any other team members. We get to learn the basic of Kanban and we goes beyond to have good success with it.

Disclaimer: I did the tech review of this book for Manning Press.
Javier
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lean
Great book. First chapter with a practical view and then beyond the principles and practices how Kanban can be integrated with other practices or can be enriched with some agile practices. And to finish a chapter about games and tools so a very complete and very enjoyable reading.
Lead time: 21 days.
Jose Papo
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
If you want to start with Kanban methods and also to understand many of its details I fully recommend you to read this book. It's an excellent introduction to Kanban and also shows how to optimize it. ...more
Josh Gomez
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Easy read, informative, and insightful. It's very practical and they use plenty of real-world examples and scenarios to start applying Kanban principles immediately. I had no trouble reading or understanding their concepts. It's well-written. ...more
Andrew Doran
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Excellent introduction to the concepts of Kanban. I learnt so much. The book is very well-written and explains topics in just the right amount of detail with plenty of references to articles and books if you want to go deeper. Recommended.
André Gomes
Jun 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
The most complete and didactic book about kanban I've read so far.

Lot's of good ideias for teams inside.
Sohi Eklund
May 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Kanban coached through a book

It is a book packed with experience in a really neat format, and I think both beginners and people more experienced using Kanban, will have good use of this book!
David
Jul 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: agile, software
Almost perfect. The part on user stories could have been more detailed.
Miikka
Sep 29, 2018 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: people new to kanban
This book is a practical introduction to kanban in software development. The first part is a fictional story about a team adopting kanban, the second part is explaining the things mentioned in the story, and the third part has things going beyond that.

Overall it's good, but could have used some boiling down. If you're in hurry, you could read just the story in the first part and then dip in the later chapters that look interesting.
Simone Pedroso
May 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Immediately applied the concepts at work!
Bogdan
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
very good book about flow agile, kanban in this case. stop starting and start finishing.
Jonathan
Aug 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Managing visualized KANBAN, especially when it in progress/action. There is a storyboard, which analyzes many aspects of KANBAN when its in usage.
Why KANBAN is required, how to identify the issues, how to create or implement process, number of methodologies like Agile and Scrum we can use it in KANBAN, challenges, moving the cards, prioritizing, metrics, measuring the tasks, etc.,
Vijay Varadan
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: tech
tl;dr Version: Highly Recommended
Buy the book and hold on to it as a reference.

Read the full review on my blog...
Olha
Jul 29, 2019 added it
I've really tried to read it; I've got the main idea. But this imaginary-story-telling style for a non-fiction book is so stupid that I can't do this anymore. The same style has Goldratt and maybe the book "Phoenix project" ...more
Kevin Varney
Feb 08, 2018 rated it liked it
I bought it because the company I started working for wanted me to introduce some management improvements. I did not enjoy working under SCRUM at my previous job, so I thought I would read up on Kanban. Unfortunately the job did not work out, and I did not get to finish reading the book while I was employed by them, because I was struggling too much to learn LabVIEW. I hated working there anyway. They certainly do have management problems, but not ones I could fix.

Saying that, Kanban looks like
Andika Rachman
Jul 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Kanban was a tool, developed by Toyota years ago, which is proved to enable continuous improvement in the organization by delivering products to the customer just in time and thus reducing the number work in progress (WIP). The notion is that by reducing the number of WIP, the time to produce and deliver the finished product will be reduced.

While applying kanban in manufacturing companies is relatively easy due to their tangible products, the application of kanban in knowledge-type of work is s
Ireney Berezniak
Highly accessible introduction to kanban, an agile method that strives to visualize work in progress, which, by extension, may act as a catalyst towards continuous improvement of the software development process. Recommended to any member of a software development team, whether BA, QA, project manager, or developer. If your team currently employs the method, this title can offer certain techniques to extract maximum benefit from it. If not, perhaps you can be its evangelist and bring about the c ...more
Kamil
Feb 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. I've enjoyed its structure. It has three parts. First is a high level overview of the whole Kanban process. Together with a imaginary team "Kanbaneros" we are learning how Kanban should work and basic concepts are introduced. After this introduction you could try to start using Kanban process.

Second part is about details of Kanban process. You can go through whole part and learn specifics or use it as reference.

Third part covers advanced topics. And those are really som
Matt
Mar 24, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: reference
"Stop starting, start finishing" is worth the cost of entry alone. It's a great introduction and practical guide to Kanban. I just don't know what it is with this entire genre of business-help books that make the authors want to write chincy stories with paper-thin characters just so they can setup "How Kanban saved the world" scenarios. ...more
Nathalie Karasek
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great book! A lot of story telling. Super first chapter. Easy and fun to read. Can be recommended as a reading for the whole team. It’s probably also possible to ask team members to just read specific chapters and then discuss them together before implementing some of the practices. Really super book!
Toby
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An awesome book about how to use Kanban. I loved the story telling approach which made this a very easy and practical read. I also liked how aspects of Scrum/XP were sprinkled throughout the book. Lots of inspiration to try this with some teams!
Karla
Apr 18, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: career, agile
A great intro to Kanban, and a comprehensive refresher for practitioners. The authors lose a star for the incredibly annoying format of the first couple of chapters, and the lame attempt at jokes. Nevertheless, it’s a solid read.
agile42: Kanban in Action book 2 3 Dec 29, 2014 07:54AM

• Scrum: The Art of Doing Twice the Work in Half the Time
  • Kanban: Successful Evolutionary Change for Your Technology Business
  • Clean Agile: Back to Basics
  • Coaching Agile Teams: A Companion for ScrumMasters, Agile Coaches, and Project Managers in Transition
  • Accelerate: Building and Scaling High-Performing Technology Organizations
  • Agile Product Management with Scrum: Creating Products That Customers Love
  • The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master
  • The Professional Product Owner: Leveraging Scrum as a Competitive Advantage
  • Essential Kanban Condensed
  • Turn the Ship Around!: A True Story of Turning Followers into Leaders
  • Essential Scrum: A Practical Guide to the Most Popular Agile Process
  • Toyota Kata: Managing People for Improvement, Adaptiveness and Superior Results
  • Dinner for Dogs: 50 Home-Cooked Recipes for a Happy, Healthy Dog
  • Tasty Treats for Happy Dogs
  • Essential Upstream Kanban
  • This Is Lean: Resolving the Efficiency Paradox
  • Extreme Programming Explained: Embrace Change (The XP Series)
  • Love on Beach Avenue (The Sunshine Sisters, #1)

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »