Start by marking “Sweet Poison Wine (Incryptid, #0.06)” as Want to Read:
Sweet Poison Wine (Incryptid, #0.06)

Sweet Poison Wine

(InCryptid 0.06)

Jonathan and Frances Healy are beginning their new lives together with that most traditional of celebrations: the honeymoon. Leaving their infant son with Jonathan's parents, the Healys are leaving Buckley Township, Michigan for the cosmopolitan wonders of the city of Chicago, where they can properly celebrate the fact that they managed to have a wedding without anybody wi ...more
Published April 9th 2013 by Seanan McGuire

To ask other readers questions about Sweet Poison Wine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweet Poison Wine

Oct 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
It's been two months since Jonathan and Fran got married but thanks to the arrival of their son Daniel the couple never got a chance to take their honeymoon. Reluctant as they are to leave their son so soon they know he'll be safe with his grandparents they're also ready for a break so they set off to Chicago to spend some quality time together.

They actually managed to sneak off without any of the Aeslin mice so they're guaranteed privacy for the first time in their relationship but they have a
Molly

Honeymoon, Chicago, river hags, gorgons, bootleggers and wine, Sweet Poison Wine...

Rating, 3.5

Another fun short from the InCryptid series.
Jonathan and Frances Healy, finally get to enjoy some time together, sans baby and Johnny's parents. Destination of their honeymoon, Chicago. They'll manage to get themselves in trouble, just hours after stepping on the streets of the "Windy City".
Robin (Bridge Four)
Jan 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads, uf-pnr, shorts
This is the last happy short story for a little while before SM gets into some of the Darker days of the Healy/Price family.

Fran and Johnny finally get a honeymoon since she was about 9 months pregnant when they got married. But like most times that they try to take a little vacation from their lives something adventurous and deadly comes there way and this time it is some stolen Gorgon wine that is poisonous to humans.

Fran is delightful I love how full of life she is and that she welcomes any d
Angela
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a fun little short! Now that Fran and Jonathan are married, with their first little baby born and under the care of his grandparents, the newlyweds can finally take their honeymoon.

And it it turns out to be a mite more adventurous than relaxing...well that's just the way Fran likes it.

By the time she made it around the bed, he was already scrambling down the rocky bank toward the water, where three hunched-over shapes were in the process of dragging what looked like a hog-tied man toward th
Marjolein
Nov 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

Sweet Poison Wine is another fun short story. Jonathan and Fran are going on honeymoon to Chicago and they wouldn't be them if they don't run into trouble fast. It was more action packed than the last few stories, which was nice. Unfortunately, they leave the mice at home, so that was a slight disappointment. Some connections are made that will come in handy at a later time.

Overall, a nice, quick and short read.

(You can find this short
Ivy
Enjoyed Jonathan and Fran's honeymoon story. Chicago sounds like a nice place. Would love to see what it would be like to stay at the Carmichael Hotel. Hope to read more of Jonathan and Fran's adventures.
ᴥ Irena ᴥ
3.5

After a somewhat slow and unremarkable beginning, the story gets better and what I come to expect from these InCryptid shorts.

Jonathan and Fran are in Chicago on their honeymoon. It wouldn't be a Healy honeymoon if it were just site-seeing now, would it? As usual they get entangled in other people/monsters' problems. Once they realize what is going on, the story gets better. The unexpected solution was great. Monsters have to eat, after all.
Apart from the slow beginning and unsuitable words
Nichole
Jan 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
jonathan and Fran are finally off on their honeymoon. Even on a honeymoon, monster hunters don't get a break. I love these shorts, always a new monster to read about.
Louisa
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great short story with their honeymoon, and learning more about gorgons and their culture, and meeting the ancestor from the guy in Midnight Blue-Light Special! Can't wait to read more!
Sophie
Since Frances was super pregnant when she got married to Jonathan, they didn't really get to have a proper, baby-free honeymoon. So they leave the kid with the grandparents and head to a gorgon-owned hotel in Chicago, where they have a prohibition-era adventure.

I think my favorite part of this one might be Fran asking Jonathan why gorgons have titties.
Sunil
Apr 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, 2013
Jonathan and Frances Healy are rapidly turning into the Nick and Nora of monster hunters. While honeymooning in Chicago, they encounter gorgons and river hags, neither of which they try to kill. It's always humans causing problems and killing people, isn't it? Jonathan and Fran do solve a seedy mystery, but the real mystery is where does Fran hide her throwing knives?
Jacqueline
Hee hee hee! Jonathan and Frances Healy amuse me to no end.
Darcy
Mar 18, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, e-book, short-stories, uf, rw
This was the prefect honeymoon for a couple like this, one filled with love, action and monsters.
Kathleen
The past is another country, in this case it's a little bit bloodier and a little more lawless than the Incryptid books set in the present. Fran and Jonathan go on their honeymoon, encounter bootleggers, river hags, and gorgons. Meals are eaten.

These short stories are a lot of fun and totally worth the minor inconvenience of reading on a computer, particularly when you remember that they're free. I highly recommend clicking the link in the goodreads record if you are so inclined.
Maria Dimitrova
Gorgons and river hags and strange gorgon customs like (view spoiler) Weird, right? As if I could expect a nice normal honeymoon for a couple of Healys! Silly me! I missed the mice of course but the rest of the cryptids made it up for the lack of talking rodents. And that last scene was deliciously bloody! Karma's a bitch, right Mr. Russo?
Holly Hand Grenade
"Don't be silly, Fran, vampires don't exist."
"Says the man who had to search his luggage for talking mice."

Oh, I liked this one. A nice little mystery during Jonathan and Fran's honeymoon in Chicago. Someone has stolen the gorgons' (yep, folks with snakes for hair) special, which is to say poison, wine. It's up to the newly married Healys to put everything right.
Stephen Topp
Apr 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
Since I'm enjoying reading the InCryptid novels, but can't get them on Kindle in the UK, and am traveling ... short stories!

This one is kinda meh.
Wetdryvac Wetdryvac
Apr 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A lovely short in a set of lovely shorts.
Jessica
Jul 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Probably my favorite yet of the short stories from this universe. Love the Chicago stuff.
Kathy Davie
Jul 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing
It's a free short story from Seanan McGuire, 0.06 in the InCryptid urban fantasy series, and revolving around a family of renegade "monster hunters". The couple focus is on the wedding between Jonathan Healy and Frances Brown. It's 1932, four years since Fran and Jonathan arrived in Buckley Township.

If you're interested, there is a chronological listing of the InCryptid books on my website of the live-and-let-live Healys who have seen the error of their ways when it comes to huntin' down monster
Alice
This is another InCryptid prequel tale, the fifth in Frances (Brown) and Jonathan Healy's interesting life together. As with three of the previous stories, this is available for download free on the the author's website.

In this installment, Fran and Jonathan are happily married, and spending their honeymoon in Chicago. Because this is a world steeped in cryptid worldbuilding, though, leaving Jonathan's hometown doesn't mean there are no cryptids. The mice only put in a short appearance, but they
Indigo
Apr 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another tale of the 20th century members of the Healy family.

Frannie and Johnny, happily married now, with a new baby, have been rather firmly encouraged to go on their honeymoon.
It's a new experience for Fran, whose upbringing was with a circus. And they behave as one would expect newlyweds to behave.

All is sweet charming romance, even after they check into their cryptid run hotel; until they run across a cryptid version of a gangland murder.

Fran and Jon save the would be victim, only to ha
Anita
I read 4 free short story InCryptid prequels in a row: One Hell of a Ride, No Place Like Home, Married in Green, and Sweet Poison Wine. All tell the story of the courtship of Jonathan Healy and Frances Brown, Verity Price's great-grandparents (prohibition era). Try to read them in order. You can download all of them for Kindle or other formats for FREE on the author's website. Then go and buy the 2 InCryptid novels - they are VERY good urban fantasy without being overly violent. There's a bit of ...more
K.F.
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Ok this was definitely the short story that I feel like all the others were building up to. It was brilliant. It was totally in theme. And also I'm confused because I thought that the mice had to go with everybody on any voyage, or else? But I suppose I haven't read that story yet...
Jenevieve
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Another Incryptid short story about Jonathan and Frances Healy. Now that their little one is a few months old, Jonathan's parents are insisting that they finally get a proper honeymoon. Being that this is Jonathan and Frances tho, you can believe that they packed more than just a few nice outfits for nights on the town and are staying somewhere out of ordinary. They travel to Chicago and stay at a hotel for Incryptids run by a family of Lesser Gargoyles who know Jonathan and his family. They are ...more
Harrison
Feb 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Speaking of favorite Urban Fantasies! Nice story set in the past of the Incryptid universe. October Daye shines more as McGuires preeminent series, but personally I've always been partial to this one.
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
Jun 22, 2013 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. I definitely enjoyed this one better than Married in Green (InCryptid, #0.4) by Seanan McGuire since there was more action, especially in the second half of the story. I missed the Aeslin mice though. I'm still looking forward to continuing the series of novellas with The First Fall (Incryptid, #0.6) by Seanan McGuire.
Laura Martinelli
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really had a lot of fun with this story. Bootleggers running supernatural poisonous wine to gorgons and being entangled with river hags; how do you not want to read that? This is a lot like One Hell of a Ride where it’s a nice little adventure story sandwiched between the breather moments. I don’t know why I preferred this over the other stories that I’ve read so far, but I think it’s because there’s more of mystery element here and trying to figure out who’s really behind the disappearance of ...more
Maggie Gordon
Originally read May 31, 2014:

Frannie and Johnny finally get to go on their honeymoon, but of course they can't make it two days without getting dragged into a crypozoological problem. Gorgons, rum runners, and river hags all result in an exciting (and quite fitting) holiday for the two. There's some nice world building, some delightful dialogue, and some underlying darkness that suits this series terribly. Relish the happiness though... it will not last...
Myndi
Sep 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've really fallen in love with the characters from these shorts. I'm a little OCD and like to read books in their chronological order, so I've not read book 1 of this series yet, but the shorts have gotten me so hooked on this world. This time we get to see Fran and Jonathan have their honeymoon, but being who they are of course there is monsters to deal with. But as Fran pointed out, that made the honeymoon perfect. I'm so glad I picked up this series to read.

• Westward Weird
  • Lightspeed Magazine, March 2016
  • Hex in the City (Fiction River, #5)
  • Glitter & Mayhem
  • A Fantasy Medley 2
  • How Green This Land, How Blue This Sea (Newsflesh Trilogy, #3.2)
  • Human Tales
  • Fire Above, Fire Below
  • The Boy Who Cast No Shadow
  • Wickedly Spirited (Baba Yaga, #3.5)
  • Games Creatures Play
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2014: Women Destroy Science Fiction! Special Issue
  • The Curious Case of the Werewolf That Wasn't (Parasol Protectorate, #0.5)
Hi! I'm Seanan McGuire, author of the Toby Daye series (Rosemary and Rue, A Local Habitation, An Artificial Night, Late Eclipses), as well as a lot of other things. I'm also Mira Grant (www.miragrant.com), author of Feed and Deadline.

Born and raised in Northern California, I fear weather and am remarkably laid-back about rattlesnakes. I watch too many horror movies, read too many comic books, and

InCryptid (9 books)
  • Discount Armageddon (InCryptid, #1)
  • Midnight Blue-Light Special (InCryptid, #2)
  • Half-Off Ragnarok (InCryptid, #3)
  • Pocket Apocalypse (InCryptid, #4)
  • Chaos Choreography (InCryptid, #5)
  • Magic for Nothing (InCryptid, #6)
  • Tricks for Free (InCryptid, #7)
  • That Ain’t Witchcraft (InCryptid, #8)
  • Imaginary Numbers (InCryptid, #9)