Start by marking “Secondary Characters” as Want to Read:
Secondary Characters

Secondary Characters

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  153 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
When Mabel's best friend, Amber, drags her along on a double date she finds herself falling for Lance, the obnoxious class clown whom she swore she'd have no interest in. The only problem is, she's not sure if she's really the girl Lance is into, or if, like every other guy she knows, it's really Amber he's after. One thing is clear, if Mabel wants to be the lead in her ow ...more
ebook
Published May 28th 2013 by Swoon Romance (first published May 25th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Secondary Characters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Secondary Characters

Cassie Mae
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Secondary Characters was an adorable easy read. I loved the entire concept of getting into the head of the people who are usually pushed out of the spotlight. The comic relief, as Lance puts it ;)

Lance and Mabel are so cute together, and I love that I got to be inside both their heads. The writing was beautiful in its simplicity, the voices of the characters were so vibrant, I couldn't put this book down until I finished it. 5 stars, but wish I could give it more :)
Lenore Kosinski
Feb 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Oh yeah, this was just what I needed. Super cute novella with 2 main characters that you can't help but LOVE. I seriously loved the concept for this book, and the author pulled it off even better than I was expecting. I seriously LOVED Lance. He was so freaking adorable. Mabel was great too, but most of the time I just wanted to shove her to the side so I could have Lance. I love stories about the more "normal" characters who aren't perfect and popular etc. Yup, definitely happy smile here. :)
Elizabeth Seckman
Jun 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am a love story junkie and this story didn't let me down! It was sweet, well-written and I fell instantly in love with the characters (especially Lance, the cutie pie lineman...ah, be still my heart!) I enjoyed the POV switches, I liked seeing the same situations from each characters eyes. It's funny how we can all be looking at the same incident, but see it differently.

I'll be looking for more stories from Rachel!!
Katelyn (Tales of Books and Bands)
Secondary Characters was such a cute, sweet, quick story with a really nice message behind it! In just a short amount of pages, author Rachel Schieffelbein allowed me to connect to both main characters, Mabel and Lance.

When comparing herself to her best friend, Mabel always felt that she fell short. She didn’t think she was as pretty, as interesting, or even as funny as the always perfect Amber. These insecurities are something I feel like everyone could relate to in one way or another. I rememb
Jeana Marie
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: good-romance
Jenny - Book Sojourner
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Ever wonder what the best friends of the beautiful, popular people feel like? Well, this is an adorable story addressing just that. Secondary Characters is about Mabel and Lance, the best friends of Amber and the other guy (seriously, I can't remember his name because the author did such a great job getting me to focus on his friend Lance), who seem to live their lives in the shadows of their more popular best friends. Mabel is forced to go on a double date with Lance the class clown, so Amber c ...more
Sheena-kay Graham
Aug 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
Secondary Characters is a novella that you can read in a day but the story will stay with you. Mabel and Lance each get to tell their side and it makes for a fun, emotional and well written story. Rachel definitely did a great job with this and take it from me as someone who isn't taken up with the romance genre (unless it has paranormal in front of it), this book is for anyone who enjoys a story that is well done. While I could do less with all the romance jargon that true romance books have to ...more
Kelley Lynn
Jun 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I read this in one sitting. It's so smartly written and as an author I could totally connect with the idea of secondary characters. Since they're not the main focus in a story (or in Mabel and Lance's case life) it's hard to give them the story line and detail they deserve. But the mark of a great book is when the supporting cast is just as well developed as the main characters. This was the case in Ms. Schieffelbein's story. Every character was well developed which is an amazing feat given the ...more
Dani
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: contemporary, novella
Absolutely adorable story about two people who consider themselves to be background characters in the grand story of their more popular friends' lives. I loved Lance... the goofy class clown with the silly, inappropriate jokes, who's just a really decent guy underneath the humor. And Mabel was likable, funny, and understandably hesitant about being set up on a double date with the guy who makes lame fart jokes. Was just really cute to watch the realizations, the relationship, and the romance thr ...more
Andrea
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya
Good job Rachel! This novella was very funny and I liked the ending. Also very appropriate for the YA crowd. I also really liked that I could picture some of the places in my head (ex: football team running up the hill to the lockeroom = football game was on Chatfied HS field which is in a little valley; killed those guys from Dover = another little town in SE Minnesota.) I also liked that Mabel(named after the town?? LOL) was not as whiny as she could've been. Actually, the same goes for Amber. ...more
Melissa Maygrove
I enjoyed this novella quite a bit, and I don't normally read short works or YA. I'm sure many people can relate to being 'secondary characters' - an apt and clever title.

The writing is good, the characters are realistic and likeable, and the pacing moves. The only negative for me was the shifts in POV without a clear signal, such as a character name heading or obvious first line. That said, I LOVED getting into the hero's head and I felt the author did a good job of writing from the male point
Trisha
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was a fun, cute read and there wasn't anything I didn't like about it. So I guess that's why I gave it 5 stars (changed to 4 since)! Lance was quite an adorable dork, considering he was a hot jock. Over the course of the story, my feelings mirrored Mabel's, in that at first he seemed so very lame, but over time his sweetness shone through. The story made me laugh, too, e.g. on that terrible first double date. All in all I really enjoyed Rachel Schieffelbein's writing style, and the story de ...more
Crystal Feaster
May 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Very short but very very sweet glad to hear about the "Secondary Characters" finally getting they're shine.....but I hate how Mabel doubted herself thinking that no one could ever notice her around Amber I so hate when someone is put on a pedestal just for how they look...... glad to see Mabel get her guy although I was thinking how could she be so blind and not notice how Lance was being annoying because he was trying to impress her.....I guess because she was so caught up worrying about being ...more
Leigh
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Picked this up and couldn't put it down until I was done! *SWOON!* This book is darling and the love story has me grinning from ear to ear! Oh, the troubles that romance brings can be so frustrating for most of us. What's important is that we "don't give up!" I could read this over and over AND OVER again!
Tara
Jun 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you're looking for a quick and fun read, then Secondary Characters will fit to your need.
Despite the cover, this book isn't about erotic romance (thank goodness, i kinda fed up of that genre recently). Instead it's about high school romance, one that you find probably not original, but sweet nonetheless.
nice debut :)
Becky Price
Jun 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book! I absolutely loved that it was told in both points of view of Mabel and lance, it really made the book feel that much more genuine. The story line was great and never felt cheesy. The romance is perfect and adorable and really makes the reader route for the characters. The story is the perfect length for a sweet, easy read. Great summer read by the pool.
Annalisa Crawford
Apr 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Cute love story that has you rooting for the secondary characters, while the beautiful girl and her gorgeous boyfriend pretty much disappear into insignificance. The fairytale that every high-school girl is hoping for!
Delancey
Shelves: romance
This novella was exactly what I wanted it to be. It was sweet, romantic, and charming. And I loved the message it delivered to those of us who might not have been the "it" girl or guy in school, but might have been that other girl or guy standing nearby. Lovely!
Mandy
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely adored this book. Very short - I think it's a novella but it was fantastic. Very sweet story. Only complaint would be that I wish there was a full length novel because I love the characters of Mabel and Lance so much! Fantastic!!!!
Enid
Oct 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2013-reads
Theresa
Jul 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2013
Once I picked it up, I couldn't stop reading. Lance is absolutely adorable and I loved everything about him. Mabel was awkward and unsure of herself and brought me back to my own teen years. If you're looking for a quick, sweet read, this is it!
Jenna
Mar 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is so cute and funny with loveable characters. The writing is good and it's thoroughly addicting. I only wish it had been longer so I could have had more Lance!
Lyn
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Very short teen love story. :)
Jessica
Aug 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute, easy read! 3.5 stars. Lance is adorable and this little story was a great lunch companion. No drama or angst, just sweet! Sometimes that really is enough. :)
Ilima
Oct 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
ADORABLE.
Susan
Sep 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a sweet read about the best friends of the the "it" couple who are always overshadowed but finally get to be the lead in their own love story. When it ended all I wanted was more.
Heather
Jun 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
adorbs
Jessica
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Cute. Super short. Breezy read. And just wonderful.
Mindy Milburn
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Easy read and a very cute story.
Yana Aleinikov
May 21, 2015 rated it liked it
Too short but overall nice quick read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Snark and Circumstance (Snark and Circumstance #1)
  • Fair Play
  • The Faerie Guardian, Part II
  • That Fatal Kiss
  • Meant for Her
  • Class of '98
  • Blindsided (Game On, #2)
  • Falling
  • 1301: The Marquis (The 13th Floor, #1)
  • Trade Secrets (Love, Inc., #2)
  • Liberty
  • Sweet Nothing
  • Under the Dusty Sky (Holloway Farms, #1)
  • Lightning Rider (Alterations, #1)
  • Only The Good Die Young
  • 99 Days of Laney MacGuire
  • Wolves at the Door (Shapes of Autumn #2)
  • Love and Cupcakes
Rachel grew up in a tiny town in Minnesota. She still lives there, with her husband and their four kids. She coaches high school speech and theater, rides Arabian horses, reads as much as she can, and writes stories.
More about Rachel Schieffelbein

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
  • Emergency Contact
    $10.99 $3.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)