Start by marking “The Thirteenth Step: Zombie Recovery” as Want to Read:
The Thirteenth Step: Zombie Recovery

The Thirteenth Step: Zombie Recovery

Eight people escape decimated New York. They have only one thing in common: the alcoholic gene. The same genetic quirk that makes alcoholics and addicts susceptible to booze and drugs gives them a mysterious ability to evade detection by the undead. But one gene in common isn’t enough to unite them. They’re a motley crew: A Botoxed Upper Eastsider; a drug dealer rescued fr ...more
Published November 8th 2013 by HOW Club Press (first published November 7th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Thirteenth Step, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Thirteenth Step

Michelle Smith
Nov 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
4.5 stars from me.

Now, full disclosure: I know Michele, though not personally. She and I are 'virtual' buddies, and we have written back and forth to each other on e-mail, through my blog, on twitter and Facebook. I am an alcoholic (sober nine years today!), and she and I have bonded over this shared experience. As a fellow writer, I encouraged her when she was writing this book, and when she entered it in the Amazon Breakthrough Contest. She sent me an advance copy of this book, and I agreed to
Joe
Nov 13, 2013 rated it really liked it

The zombie apocalypse is not the story; it’s the setting. This thought-provoking commentary on 12 Step culture—our pitfalls, majesty and volatility—is the treasure inside this story. I am not a fiction writer or reader. I labor through my own perceived need to frankly discuss our collective culture, our future and the struggles that internal dogma and an ever changing outside world bring to bear on our mortal fellowship. Sometimes it’s time to put the text books and clinical studies away and let
Sarah (A Weebish Book Blog)
This review was originally posted on One Curvy Blogger br>
This post contains affiliate links. This audiobook was sent to me free for review in exchange for an honest review.

As many of you know may know, I have a big thing for zombies - they're my kryptonite. Whenever I see a zombie book up for review, I almost always snap it up, even if I think the book is going cheesy. I will admit that I never saw myself actually devouring The Thirteenth StepZombie Recovery, I just thought the plot was qu

Glinda Harrison
Jan 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyable read! This book has a interesting, unique premise that really sets it apart. Loved the "tipping of the hat" to some zombie classics, too! Also loved the cover for this - it nicely captured the essence of the book!
Theresa
Mar 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Great easy moving read. I hope she writes another one. Had a great ending but left room so she can write another one.
Jeff Stockett
Sep 19, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, zombies
I received this book for free in exchange for my honest review through the Goodreads First Reads program.

This book wasn't what I expected. I saw the title, and I thought it would be a humor book about a support group for zombies. I thought it would be about the 12 steps that zombies go through to overcome their need for eating people, or something like that.

That's not what this book is about. I'll admit that when I realized that, I was a little disappointed. I shouldn't have been. I think I ende
Megan Tully
Mar 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
I read this coming off the back of a thriller and was looking for something with a bit of humour. This delivered. Though not an out and out comedy there are moments of observational humour towards the start of the book. Just enough to draw you in before it takes a more serious turn to the writing later on and circumstances develop.

Ever wondered what a world inhabited by addicts would be like post zombie appocolypse?? If so then read this book? Hell read it anyway because it's a good read.

Some lo
Teressa
Apr 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
ZOMBIES? They're zombies with a taste for....? When I first began this audiobook, I wasn't sure what to expect. Zombies and Alcoholics Anonymous? Really though, from the first word, I was hooked.

This was an entertaining romp through New York City and beyond while dodging zombies? The group thinks that there's something about them being alcoholics or addicts that makes them less interesting to the zombies. Each having had some connection to the drink or drugs in some way. They seem to be immune t
Crystal Rafuse
Mar 06, 2014 rated it liked it
Kari Dennis
Mar 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3 1/2 stars

Decent zombie book, with smarter than average characters. Just a little too much of the AA thing. ***spoiler alert*** I really liked the part where they join up with a larger group and the difficulties they experience there. I can actually see how the AA rules could be warped and twisted like this by some power-tripping little Jim Jones (I don't think he was bad enough to rank little Hitler status, lol and the group did seem very cult-like) Although it seemed a little anti-climactic w
Eleanor Self
Feb 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I've never really been a fan of the Horror genre so I expected a "Zombie book" to be silly or trivial. I couldn't have been more wrong in my assumptions. This book was absolutely wonderful to read. Michele is my new favorite author and I can't wait to read Lower Power. 13th is an emotional rollercoaster ride through shock, terror, grief, regret, loss, redemption, courage, confidence, love and hope. If you've got any negative stuff you've buried down deep, you're going to cry it out while you rea ...more
Rebecca Trotter
Dec 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zombies, apocalyptic
First time ever that being an addict, including an alcoholic, has been a plus!

The Thirteenth Step takes the reader on a fast paced ride with a motley crew of addicts (active & in recovery) and children of addicts as they stay alive in a world suddenly overrun with zombies. And then...

the survivors have to worry about AA fundamentalists! I asked my hubby-poo, who is five years sober, if he had ever heard of AA fundamentalists. He told me no and that they sound like a nightmare.

I love where t
Amy
Feb 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
The zombie apocalypse was the backdrop for this story of survival, camaraderie, recovery from addiction and family. This was a much more thoughtful and deep zombie story than I expected. I’m sure that a reader looking for brain-splattering zombie madness might be disappointed in this character driven tale, but I found it unique and refreshing (and I tend to like brain-splattering zombie madness). A great read!
Patti
Apr 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
I expected a lot of humor, decent writing, maybe if I was lucky, some characterization. The title didn't lead to what you would think was a serious book. But it was.

It was a very good read, quick, yet still engaging and interesting. The characters were not cardboard cutouts or stereotypes. They were all well written, from Bill to Patty to Jared and the rest.

Not a lot of zombie killing gore, but it fit in with the tone of the story.

Recommended for zombie fans.
Lisa
Good read

I thoroughly enjoyed this rendition of the apocalypse. and I'm happy to read a "free" book that doesn't end with a half told story, enticing you to buy the next episode, and then the next..... This book is definitely worth reading and
paying for!
Amanda
Sep 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Fun read. Always enjoy a good zombie book, but the premise of the only survivors being addicts was pretty fun.

The settlement of AA folks reminds me that if we are too brittle, we will break. Open mindedness is the key.

Slightly cheesy, but for a free book, I can't complain!
deirdre Williams
I loved it

nice take on the zombie apocalypse... characters were really well developed. I didn't want to put this book down
made me Laugh
teresea thornton
Good read

It sorta reminded me of the Walking Dead with a different scenario. It was a good read which I couldn't stop reading once I started.
Heidi
Nov 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoyed this one. It wasn't just about zombies but the world that came right after. And the (Spoiler) whole AA part was a really nice idea.
Billie Jensen
Slow going in the beginning but worth the read.

Wasn't sure how I would like this, beginning started off a little weird for me but progressed nicely. Worth the read.
Frank
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Interesting take on the zombie apocalypse. Mixing zombies and the 12 step program, isn't something you would think could work, but the author makes it work. Good read, good story.
Kurt
Jan 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Bizarro! A zombie tale with an AA theme.
Joe King
Jan 17, 2015 rated it liked it
I thoroughly enjoyed this book, which brought together elements of The Walking Dead with Watership Down, with important 12 Step Recovery Principles.
Tanya
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror, kindle
Loved the story, loved the characters. Different type of people from what I usually read in zombie stories
Jess Blunt-debee
Jan 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
amazing book! definitely a 5 star and a great zombie novel
Wallace J Long
Jan 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great Reading!

The book kept me from putting it down. When I was away from it I kept wanting to get back to reading to see what was next! I was rooting for the family to make it!
Henk
Mar 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
An illustration of recovery within a zombie shell, fun read.
Joe Chisholm
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book blows everything up; lots of stories do. I always ask, "How are they going to tie all this together at the end?" Often then don't - good idea, unsatisfying conclusion. Michele Miller exceeds expectations. A genre-less winner. It's set as a fantastical pop-culture farce but it's a sobering commentary on anti-intellectualism that is more poignant today than the day the book launched.

Hold on, This is a wild ride.
AudioBookReviewer
Dec 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
ABR's full The Thirteenth Step: Zombie Recovery audiobook review can be found at Audiobook Reviewer.

Being somewhat familiar with 12 step recovery programs, this is going to be an interesting listen. I do know what the "thirteenth step" is. For those of you that do not know it is when a person with established sobriety dates a person that is new to recovery. I have heard that it can get a bit messy. I am trying to figure out how in the world what kind of recovery Michele W. Miller is going to get
V Nerd
Book: The Thirteenth Step

Genre: Horror

Type: Audiobook.

Book rating: ☆☆☆☆

Narration rating: ☆☆☆

Review

I received this audio book for free for an honest review, thank you to the Author.

I was a little worried about reading another Zombie book after being really disappointed with Feed!

Are you a recovering acoholic? An ex drug user? A victim of some sort of solvent abuse? Then these words will come as a surprise to you YOU ARE THE LUCKY ONES!!!!

The reason for this, you carry the gene!! The gene

• This Plague of Days OMNIBUS EDITION: The Complete Three Seasons of the Zombie Apocalypse Series
  • The King of Clayfield
  • Wanted: Dead or Undead (Zombie West #1)
  • Ravage (Ravaged World Trilogy, #2) (Damienverse, #6)
  • The Living Dead Boy
  • Comes the Dark (The Dark Trilogy #1)
  • The Tilian Virus (The Pandemic Sequence #1)
  • Infected (Click Your Poison, #1)
  • Origins (Dead Highways #1)
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Necropolis (The Shadow Wars, #1)
  • The End Came With A Kiss (Beautiful Dead)
  • After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • Among the Dead and Dying (Among the Masses Book 1)
  • Zombie, Inc. (Zombie Inc, #1)
  • The Dying of the Light: End (The Dying of the Light, #1)
  • Humanity's Last Chance (The Eden Project, #1)
  • The Passenger (Surviving the Dead, #3.5)
“He felt better knowing he’d feel better soon,” 1 likes
“one of those people who paid for a monthly gym membership as if it were a charitable donation.” 0 likes