Start by marking “A Murder of Magpies” as Want to Read:
A Murder of Magpies

A Murder of Magpies

Winter in Black Orchard, Wisconsin, is long and dark, and sixteen-year-old Vayda Silver prays the snow will keep the truth and secrecy of the last two years buried. Hiding from the past with her father and twin brother, Vayda knows the rules: never return to the town of her mother’s murder, and never work a Mind Game where someone might see.

No one can know the toll emotion
Published October 28th 2014 by Month9Books, LLC

To ask other readers questions about A Murder of Magpies, please sign up.
Sarah Bromley I believe they have them in the warehouse and are indeed shipping. Several other personal friends have stated they received shipping notifications. I …moreI believe they have them in the warehouse and are indeed shipping. Several other personal friends have stated they received shipping notifications. I do know it went into a second printing (meaning enough copies have sold to warrant more copies being printed). Gale, I am thankful for you as a friend, and I am thankful for you support as well. :-)(less)

Start your review of A Murder of Magpies
i.
Jan 05, 2015 rated it liked it
This is a novel on how special powers may not be a blessing but a curse . Don't expect a typical action-packed YA story; it is slow-paced but well written and the characters are anything but shallow teenagers. In my opinion it is a sad book about loss, betrayal , narrow-mindedness , neglect, misunderstandings and poor judgement with a glint of hope .

www.theleisurediaries.blogspot.com
Shawntelle Madison
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I've had a chance to read this book during its earlier drafts and I must tell you, I can't wait for everyone to read A MURDER OF MAGPIES.
Paula M. of Her Book Thoughts!
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review, arc, favorite

You can also read my review HERE.

"Cardinal Rule: You never know who's watching, and I promise you someone is always watching"

Well, how do I start this? I guess by saying that I completely fell in love with that cover! I just know that I have to read it. And I am so lucky to be part of this tour and to review A Murder of Magpies.

Vayda and Jonah are twins. Everywhere they go, they can't escape the fact that people find them strange. Well, they kind of are. Both of them has their own mind game tha
Christina (Ensconced in Lit)
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
I was excited to read A Murder of Magpies by Sarah Bromley because I love dark mysteries and just look at that cover! Bromley doesn't disappoint.

This book stars Vayda, who is Romani, and her love interest, Ward, who is "gadjo" or an outsider. Vayda has a twin Jonah, and both of them have powers that they label Mind Games. Something bad happened with their mother who died in a fire and they've been on the run ever since. Vayda is scared of her powers and tries not to use them, but Jonah loves his
Beth
May 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: goth
This book was written by a friend and as such, let me tell you, I am always wary of reading and reviewing such novels because who wants to be in the position of giving their opinion on a creation that is very dear to the friend's heart. C'mon seriously, it's like stabbing that person in the heart essentially if you give the novel a bad review.

Thank GOD I am not in that position at all!

A Murder of Magpies has a gorgeous cover that speaks of the elegance of the writing inside. Eerie and atmospher
Heather Reid
Jun 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A dark debut that will keep you on the edge of your seat. Bromley is a master of creating creepy atmosphere that will send chills down your spine. Each character is beautifully written, real, flawed, and beautifully broken. Couldn't put this one down. A fantastic read!
Jennifer Bardsley
Sep 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I was blown away by how much I loved "A Murder of Magpies" by Sarah Bromley. It's "Wuthering Heights" meets present day Wisconsin.

Sixteen-year-old Vayda Silver's life is full of secrets: the truth about her mother's death, the terrible deeds her twin brother Jonah might do, and even worse, Vayda's own dangerous powers as an empath. Jonah expels energy and Vayda collects it. If she's not careful Vayda's capable of rupturing every light bulb at school. No wonder she and Jonah are social pariahs
Naznin Azeez
Oct 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
The book cover, simple as it is, has an alluring quality to it, coupled with the interesting title. The solitary bird under the glaring light from the street lamp post, featured on a sepia toned cover with a touch of color only for the title, makes this cover one of the most intriguing book covers I have ever seen. Readers could interpret it in many ways. The font of the title is beautiful. Also, the title is very cleverly formed. It has the word ‘Murder’ in it since there is a murder in the sto ...more
Erika Messer
Nov 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A thoroughly enjoyable trek through the dark depths. Vayda and her family have special powers but can't let others find out. They are called names like Gypsy and Witch because of their gifts. Their mother was murdered and all they know is that they should not go back to where it happened. But something is trying to find them, and Vayda has to be very careful at all times to hide her past and her present from the world. I have never been through anything like what Vayda goes through in the book, ...more
Precy Larkins
Dec 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
So this was my first read this year and it's a YA Gothic Paranormal with Romani siblings (Vayda and Jonah Silver) for protagonists. The atmospheric writing is deliciously creepy, and the incredible (but dangerous) powers of the Silver twins amps up the stakes between life and death. I loved the mystery that surrounds their past–-a mystery that has murder in it–-and the way it creeps back into their present lives, no matter how hard they try to hide from it.

The story is told in two POVs, one of t
Meredith
May 25, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014-releases
I want to preface this review by saying that I'm a member of this book's street team. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review. And my opinion of the book does not change the fact that I love being on this street team because Sarah is awesome!!! I will continue to help promote this book to the best of my ability.

With that said, A Murder of Magpies is not the type of book I typically read, though it definitely intrigued me. My curiosity and desire for answers preven
Jaime
Jun 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
A Murder of Magpies is an intriguing, mysterious tale and it is one that I highly enjoyed. Even after finishing the story, I feel there are mysteries that still need to be unraveled. I loved the setting, the fantastically written characters and the incredibly unique story.

Vayda, our MC and one of the two POV's and Jonah are brother and sister. Twins, to be exact, They each have their own individual "mind games" that they play, and these "games" must be hidden at all cost. Vayda is calm and qu
Emily Crow
Vayda and her twin brother Jonah have to deal with bullying, ostracism and hiding from their sullied past because, like their late mother, they can work powerful "Mind Games"--telepathy, telekinesis and mind control. It looks like they might be chased away from their new home in Wisconsin just as Vayda finds a love interest--an emotionally damaged but likable boy named Wade.

What I liked: interesting and well-written enough to keep me reading all the way through; a great canine character (an eld
Jen Halligan
Jul 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this debut from Sarah Bromley! It's the perfect fall/winter read. A Murder of Magpies is dark and mysterious, as you learn about the abilities Vayda and her twin brother Jonah have, and the motivations for the characters. I loved the relationship between Vayda and Ward. Their romance was sweet, and they balanced each other out. I have to say I was a bit thrown by the ending and I think there could easily be a sequel. :)
Courtney
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advanced-copy
This is one of my favorite books. Sarah Bromley is one of those authors who has it. She just does. She creates this creepy atmosphere that makes you feel like you're there in the story. I laughed. I cried. I was angry at the characters, but I love them so much. Please read this book. It's amazing, and I can't wait for the world to read it.
Bailey
Nov 30, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was okay. There were quite a few issues with the writing...the dialogue was a bit stilted at times and conversations jumped around a lot. It doesn’t have good flow. There were quite a few editing errors, which always annoys me. But the really irritating thing for me was the ending. There’s absolutely no resolution...yet this is a standalone?
Marie
Aug 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I had the pleasure of review A MURDER OF MAGPIES and hosting an interview with the lovely and talented, Sarah Bromley! To read my review and interview, click on the provided link:

Laura Diamond
Dec 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
I love reading dark, gothic-esque tales with damaged people. This book captures all of it with lots of action, mystery, & sweet, swoon-worthy moments between two disillusioned teens carrying secrets of their own that threaten to destroy each other and everyone they love. ...more
Michelle
Jul 07, 2014 marked it as dnf
Just don't think this book was for me, however just because it didn't work for me doesn't mean it wont work for you! Would totally give it a try :)
Rebecca
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What are great book!! Find my review October 29 @ beccasbookaffair@blogspot.com.
I will get it posted here soon!
BookLoversLife
Had to put this aside for a while because I couldn't get into it!
Beth Beth
May 26, 2015 rated it really liked it

Thank GOD I am not in that position at all!

Alis
Nov 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
What I liked: I ended up really enjoying the dual point of view style of the book. It made things interesting, plus the things that were sort of kept as a bit of a mystery element kept me flipping the pages as quickly as possible to find out the answers! And the way the author worked in the book’s title? Flawless. Each of the characters held up on their own and felt really fleshed out to me, so I believed they were real. Vayda’s character was so interesting, I wanted to know more about her! Jona ...more
Krista (CubicleBlindness Reviews)
Told in two different perspectives, Ward and Vanya. A Murder of Pagpies is an atmospheric read set in Black Orchard, Wisconsin. Vanya is overcome with emotions that are hard to control and Ward, tries to feel no emotions at all. When their paths cross, they seem to equal each other out. While Vanya tries to take a more controlled effort in her abilities her twin Jonah releases his unrestrained. Together with their father they are on the run from their past.

I enjoyed the mixture of characters and
Meredith Tate
Oct 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this one. It was very dark and creepy (definitely older YA), and kept me intrigued the whole time.

Vayda and Jonah are twins who just moved across the country with their father. They were forced to flee their former home and change their identities, following their mother's mysterious death in a house fire. Vayda is an "empath," and can influence other people's moods. She and her brother call their powers "mind games," and while Vayda is fearful of her power, Jonah tends to abuse
Ashley
Sep 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
I received a free copy of A Murder of Magpies.

I must admit, I'm still not real sure about the significance of the Magpie. Seems like it was just added in there for no apparent reason, but who cares, I enjoyed the book anyway.

I was a little unsure about this book, and even though I enjoyed it, I still have questions, like:
Why magpie?
Is there a story behind the origin of the twins' powers?
What's the deal with the Romani and Gajo thing?
Why did the nun seem evil to Vayda and then turned out not
Merel
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Alyssa
Aug 30, 2014 rated it did not like it
You have no idea how much I wanted to love this book. I kept trying and trying but I just couldn't do it. Did not finish at about 50%.
Abbie Kline
Sep 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really did like this book but I remain vaguely dissatisfied for reasons I can't quite pinpoint. Maybe it's that things escalated so slowly and peaked so fast. I do look forward to a sequel.
Frezanda
Dec 14, 2014 rated it liked it
This book is promising, but I found it should be better edited.
Sarah Bromley drinks too much coffee, likes her music loud and off-key, and has loved spooky things since she first saw “An American Werewolf in London” when she was five years old. She currently lives in the St. Louis area with her high-school-sweetheart-turned-heroic-husband, three children, and three dogs. You can find her on Twitter and at her blog. She is represented by Miriam Kriss of the Ir ...more

News & Interviews