Start by marking “Awakenings” as Want to Read:
Awakenings

Awakenings

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating details ·  70 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Evie Shepard's nightmare begins when she finds herself buried alive, with no idea how she got that way. As she struggles to remember what happened to her, she begins to notice changes about herself. Her senses are heightened, her movements are quicker, she is incredibly strong, her heartbeat has stopped. It's then she makes a disturbing discovery. She wasn't buried alive. ...more
Published July 29th 2013 by Entranced Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Awakenings, please sign up.
J.E. I'm so sorry for the delay on answering this! I rarely get on this site. No, Awakenings is not about Vampires.

Brenda
4.5s

Seventeen year old Eve Shepard’s awakening was slow and torturous – the terror at finding herself trapped in what she perceived as a shallow grave but not knowing how she got there caused her to panic. The lack of oxygen meant she had to dig her way out quickly – but was she even breathing? Her awareness came suddenly – she didn’t need air; she had no pulse; no heartbeat – what on earth had happened to her?

Along with escape came a smattering of memories – the most important being that she a
Manvinder
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Evie is a dead girl that has come back to life, but she isn't what you think. She is no zombie, instead she is a Vengador, a creature that has risen from the dead for the sole purpose of bloodthirsty revenge.

I really like the interesting idea of a Vengador, a twist on the typical zombie tale. And as you would expect, there was a tonne of action and it was all. very fast paced, which I really enjoyed.

Evie is a likeable and relatable character, while on the other hand the villain, the Eel, is ver
Sam
Awakenings has a very interesting concept where the protagonist comes back to life as a faster, stronger and full of vengeance. She was kidnapped, killed and buried, but she came back to life. With the intentions to get back at those who did this to her, and safe her sister from the people who took her.

I really liked the idea for the book, the characters, and the opening scene of the book. There's nothing more exciting than kicking off a book with the protagonist trying to fight her way out of t
Lena Muo
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cassandra Page
(Before I start, please note that the of Awakening that I'm reviewing is the older, small press version, so there may be some differences between the currently available version and the one that I have.)

Awakenings is an urban fantasy whose subtype isn't vampires or werewolves but an undead creature called a vengador (which is Spanish for "avenger"). These are creatures that get supernatural speed and strength, as well as electricity powers, but who are driven to kill their murderers, even knowin
Liquid Frost
Oct 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2015
Fun, fast, and entertaining. Although this is YA, this MAA reader greatly enjoyed the story. It is a fun paranormal adventure with just a dash of pararomance and for that, I'm grateful. As we are introduced to Evie, she is figuring out where she is and soon discovers that she is buried alive. Through some quick action and character introductions, the story unfolds and the transformation from 17 year old college-bound student, to reanimated (don't call her a zombie) butt kicker is set in motion.

S
Rachel
Aug 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
My greatest fear is being buried alive. Actually, anything dealing with dirt over my face irks me. My face twitches base on smell of dirt. And dirt is itch enough when its on my skin.

When it comes to buried alive, I’m fear losing the ability to breath and becoming stuck in the narrow and tight space that is underground.

In Awakenings by J.E. Simmon, the protagonist Evie finds herself buried. But she neither is alive nor remains trapped. She is, in frank, a dead being bent on vengeance. Revenge
Suzanne Stallings
Oct 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This book grabbed my attention straight away! The book opens with the main character waking up buried underground. After she digs her way out of her grave, she finds things are different. She is faster, stronger and her heart isn't beating! What happened? What is she? I was so curious that I read this book in two evenings and the I didn't want it to end. In my opinion this storyline would make a great series.

Disclaimer: This book was given at a discount or complimentary in exchange for an hones
Justin Hall
Jun 30, 2015 rated it it was amazing
This is yet another great tribute to the talent in North Florida for local writing.
I thoroughly enjoyed the character of Evie and glad she did not end up being a cliche hero. Would enjoy seeing this story as a graphic novel. This story is also easily a shoe in for a sequel.
I finished this book in 2 days... needless to say it kept me turning the pages. Good action, good characters and great writing style by J.E. Shannon

Another review done
Justin
Karen
Oct 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent Read!

I really didn't know what to expect from this book but I found myself fully engrossed with it till the end! I hope there will be a second book because I would love to see this story continue! I will follow this author and hope something just as good gets released soon! Loved this book!
Keely Hutton
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
AWAKENINGS had my pulse racing on the first page when the MC woke to find she was buried "alive" and did not let up. Fast-paced action combined with a kick-butt protagonist I'd follow anywhere and a sprinkling of romance earned this book five stars from me. Can't wait to read book 2!
amanda morgan lyke
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Sequel ?

Sequel ?

I love this book it is by far my favorite. once I started reading I couldn't put it down , even after I read it I want to know what happens next . J.E Shannon did an amazing job and I think everyone should read this .
Maggie
Feb 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
3.5
Weetniet7
Jul 15, 2015 rated it liked it
Gripping from the beginning. You're thrown into an everyday world where some mystical things happen to exist. Don't expect lots of explanation just action. And minor (unnessary) romance.
Andy
Feb 01, 2017
Auraya
Aug 31, 2013
Tina
rated it did not like it
Aug 21, 2016
Stephanie Parray
Mar 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Lilith
  • A Werewolf's Tale (Forbidden Alliance, #1)
  • Jade (Three J'Amigos, #1)
  • No Peace for the Damned (Damned, #1)
  • The Moon Rises (Gigi Monroe, #1)
  • Remember Me (Collective, #2)
  • Becoming (Project Five Fifteen #3)
  • Life Bites (Hunger Chronicles #1)
  • Thirteen (Dark Carousel, #0.5)
  • A Secret to Die For (Secret McQueen #8)
  • All of Her Men
  • Howl (Kane Wolves, #1)
  • The Name of the Game
  • Divine Vices (Divine Vices, #1)
  • Hell Is Coming (The Watchers, #1)
  • Ferryman
  • Torrential
  • Nameless: The Darkness Comes (The Bone Angel Trilogy, #1)
I began writing stories when I was nine years old. My first story was about a fairy lost in the woods, and it was an assignment given to me by a teacher. I instantly fell in love with the process.

Books have always been a passion of mine. Some of my favorite memories are being in the library or hidden behind the couch reading books. I don't know why I hid behind the couch to read, I guess it seeme
More about J.E. Shannon

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • You Know Me Well
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Some Fine Day
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
  • The Odds of Loving Grover Cleveland
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Darkness Brutal (The Dark Cycle #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glittering Court (The Glittering Court, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Poisonwell (Whispers from Mirrowen, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Secondborn (Secondborn, #1)
  • Hate List
    $8.99 $1.99
  • I Funny: A Middle School Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Blight of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Time's Edge (The Chronos Files, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Brazen (Gilded #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Girl in the Shadows (Cirque American #2)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • How to Train Your Dragon
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Wretched of Muirwood (Legends of Muirwood, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99