Start by marking “Barefoot by the Sea (Barefoot Bay, #4; Barefoot Bay Universe, #4)” as Want to Read:
Barefoot by the Sea (Barefoot Bay, #4; Barefoot Bay Universe, #4)

Barefoot by the Sea (Barefoot Bay #4)

4.12  ·  Rating details ·  854 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
When you think you know your heart's desire . . .

Tessa Galloway is a gifted nurturer-her verdant garden at Barefoot Bay's new resort is living proof. If only the woman who can grow anything could grow what she wants most: a baby. Her friends think the right guy will come along, but Tessa doesn't want to wait. All she needs is the perfect donor to make her dream come true.
Published October 29th 2013 by Forever (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Barefoot by the Sea, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Barefoot by the Sea

Jonetta
Oct 04, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Tessa Galloway just wants a baby and every man who looks like a hookup possibility also looks like a potential sperm donor. When she meets John Brown in a bar, things zing along swimmingly until she asks for a donation. When their encounter crashes, things get even dicier when he shows up as the much needed chef for the resort. But John has a big secret...he's in the UK witness protection program and they've more in common than she knows.

I must admit I wasn't looking forward to Tessa's story an
Jess
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was ok
Review posted: Happily Ever After - Reads
Blog rating: D+

It’s hard to get into any romance from the start when you have a heroine, Tessa, who makes it clear that she hates, hates, hates lies and a hero, John, who flat out lies to her from page 1 because he has to. I get John’s reasons, he’ll do anything to get his kids back and that includes keeping his past and true identity quiet, but it just wasn’t a relationship that I found myself invested in from the start because of this huge disconnect.

Jo
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
4/12 - I liked Tessa and Ian/John. I didn't really like the motivating factor behind Ian/John's appearance in Barefoot Bay. I just couldn't believe that the UK Protected Persons Service would take a victim's children away from him or that they would force him get married in order for them to allow him to be reunited with them. I also thought the idea that they would plant a woman in his path to see if he would stray from the story they had given him was ridiculous, and then to find out that woma ...more
Pack52
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Reviewing ARC from the author
Release date October 29, 2013

This is the fourth and final book of Roxanne St. Claire’s outstanding Barefoot Bay series. It can be read as a stand alone, but I would strongly recommend reading the first three books to get to know the characters and their backgrounds.

Barefoot by the Sea is Tessa Galloway’s story. Tessa is an organic farmer at the Casa Blanca resort owned by her college friend, Lacey Armstrong Walker. The one thing she desperately wanted in her marriage
Paula Robinson
Aug 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let me start by saying, I LOVE Roxanne St. Claire books, especially her romantic suspense. I was sad when she changed genres, at first, but reading her contemporary series set in Barefoot Bay, made me love her voice and writing style even more. I have read all the books in the series thus far, and I was very excited to receive an Advanced Review Copy (ARC) of Barefoot by the Sea at the RWA Conference in Atlanta, this summer, for an honest review.

I truly enjoyed Tessa Galloway's story. It was a
Mona
Aug 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Yes
I received an ARC for an honest review...It simply an amazing book...Tess is the nurturer..She wants desperately to have a child. Her family which are her close friends...Lacey, Zoe, Jocelyn...they are her support system. The book is filled with so much love..When Tessa meets John Brown is it fate that has brought them together? The laughter and tears you will experience in this book are all good and happy..it's heartbreaking but you will see something that is so beautiful. When it comes down to ...more
Tonya Loose Dawson
Oct 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Can I give this book 6 stars???

Nothing I can write will prepare you for you this story but will try. This story will have you experiencing every emotion imaginable & some that you didn’t think you would ever experience in a book.

This is the 4th of the Barefoot Bay series, Tessa Galloway’s story. Tessa despises secrets, although she has one, she longs for a family but will settle for a baby of her own. Tessa reads people very well & knows from the beginning that John is not telling her t
Bette Hansen
Jul 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Roxanne St. Claire has done it again. In this fourth book of the Barefoot Bay series she beautifully tells us the story of Tessa and um...John. This book is full of humor, angst, mystery, & love. You won't want to put it down and I have the no sleep headache to prove it! It is a wonderful story and I highly recommended it as well as the other Barefoot Bay books to everyone!

Willa
Jul 31, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
I received an ARC of this book at RWA. This is my favorite of the Barefoot Bay series. John/Ian is the kind of hero I like - torn by conflicting demands, trying to do what's right and making a mess of it. Besides, who doesn't love a big, gorgeous guy who can cook? He and Tessa are a great couple and provide a satisfying wrap to the series. The book also introduces the main characters for the next series, Barefoot Brides, which looks to be a lot of fun. Keep 'em coming, Rocki!
Annie
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Barefoot by the Sea is the fourth in the Barefoot Bay series by one of my very favorite authors, Roxanne St. Claire. I love her romantic suspense books and when she released this series of contemporary romance, I was thrilled.

She proved she is equally capable and comfortable writing an exciting, sexy contemporary romance as she is the romantic suspense genre. I think this is evident from her RITA nomination for the first in the series, Barefoot in the Sand. I’m not the only one who loves this s
Quynh

I've been waiting for Tessa's book since I devoured through the first three novels of the series over the summer. I guess the common theme through the entire series was secrets. Each book had them and finding out what each of them are makes you understand the characters more and why they hold these secrets.

Tessa Galloway always wanted a baby. Her marriage to a cheating husband ended after several years of futily trying to have that baby. Now single, while working with her three best fri
Denise
Aug 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Barefoot By The Sea

Bring your sunscreen...This one's a scorcher!

Oh Finally.... YES! The fourth book in the Barefoot Bay series totally grabs you from the very first, deliciously sinful scene with "sex-on-two-legs" John Brown! And of course, our favorite quad of BFF's from the Barefoot Bay series - Lacey, Jocelyn, Zoe and the STAR of SEA, whose story I've so eagerly awaited - Tessa Galloway! Well, you will NOT be disappointed because this, in my opinion, is the BEST in the series!

But don't let J
Mary (BookHounds)
My Thoughts
Loved it

Tessa has a serious case of Baby Lust so much so, that she is asking random, albeit handsome, strangers in bars about their DNA. When said handsome stranger is falling in lust with her, she starts asking about his medical history, which of course, is a known lust-killer. The handsome stranger turns out to be a chef with a PAST. John Brown, aka Ian Browning, aka handsome stranger, applies for a job at the Casa Blanca resort where Tess is in charge of the gardens. With the "help
Sue Galuska
Sep 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Let's start out by saying I am a HUGE fan of the Barefoot Bay series, but this book just blew everything else out of the water! I loved the first three stories in this series and wasn't sure how Tessa's story was going to go. The other books didn't give much about Tessa except for the fact that she was divorced, really wanted a baby and hated lies.

The first 75 % of this book revolves around Tessa and John/Ian's story. You learn what makes them tick and why they are like they are. As they slowly
Connie Bocci
Sep 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
To my delight I received an ARC of Barefoot by the Sea in order to give an honest review. No problem!
As with all the other books in the Barefoot Series...I loved it!
Ms. St. Claire has built a world you can fall into and want to stay. The characters are so richly developed and this particular story of Tessa and John was so emotional it actually took me to tears.
I loved John from first appearance in a bar. He was developed into a beautiful, sad, determined and believable man.
Tessa's story is as ri
Natalie Dukes
Jul 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
I received an ARC copy of this book. This is the first of the "Barefoot" series I read. I enjoyed the story and it was a relief to the angst I usually read. You can definitely read one without having read the others. Nice story of love a second time around.
Kimberly
My review cross-posted from Wit and Sin: http://witandsin.blogspot.com/2013/10...

Tessa Galloway has a job she loves and a family-by-choice anyone would envy, but her life isn’t complete. Though she can make flowers bloom in the most difficult of circumstances, Tess can’t seem to grow the one thing she wants most in the world: a baby. Her friends are convinced she’ll find the right guy to make her dreams come true, but Tess believes they’re wrong. Until John Brown is hired as the new chef for the
Liza
Oct 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These books get better and better!

Release date 10/29/13 Forever Hachette Book Group

I was lucky enough to be given an ARC from the author at RWA this summer (Thanks Rocki!!!). I'm a huge fan of Roxanne St. Claire and with great restraint, made myself wait until closer to the release date to read this book.

I'm a huge fan of the Barefoot Bay series and was excited for Tessa to finally get her happily ever after. I've said over and over again how much the friendship between Tessa, Zoe, Lacey, and J
Oct 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I fell in love with the characters in this book especially the four women who run the Casa Blanca resort in Barefoot Bay. Each of these lovely women have found their happy ending except for Tessa, who is the gardener for the beautiful resort. She has decided after heartbreak and betrayal, all she wants is to have a baby and is desperately looking for a donor to help those dreams come true. In walks John Brown, a sexy man that immediately attracts Tessa’s attention but has secrets of his own. He ...more
Visionary
Aug 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing

Received the book from the author
Review can be found here and courtesy of Romance Junkies:

Tessa Galloway oversees the beautiful gardens at her friend’s beachside resort Casa Blanca. Since her divorce, she moved on site and aided Lacey’s dream to build a unique and beautiful resort. She bravely weathered each one of her three college dorm sisters/friends finding love, marrying, and in two’s case becoming pregnant. Years of trying, and failing, to conceive c
Kim Reads (Read Your Writes Book Reviews)
Reviewed by Kim
for Read Your Writes Book Reviews

I will admit, I didn't want to read this book. I mean Roxanne always makes me cry. I so do not like crying while reading books, thus I was afraid. Yeah, my crying fear was justified, I cried. But what I didn’t expect was to start the book off laughing.

Tessa Galloway has watched her three best friends find love and happiness and turn into baby making machines. Tessa desperately wants to have a baby of her own. But she doesn’t necessarily want the m
Betty
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Tessa Galloway was married for 10 years and throughout most of those years she and her husband tried without success to have children. Toward the end of the marriage Tessa found out that her husband had, however, impregnated another woman. Tessa divorced her husband who promptly married his pregnant lover. Since then Tessa has tried to line up a surrogate and a sperm donor so that she could also become a parent.
Enter John Brown, who tried to pick her up in a bar for some fun in the sack. He i
Madison Warner Fairbanks
Jul 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Barefoot by the Sea by Roxanne St Claire

Powerful emotions. Deep longings from Tessa Galloway but she is not sure John Brown is for real. Something just isn't right and warning bells keep going off in her head. 4th in the Barefoot series but able to stand alone. For the first half of the book, I just wanted John to tell her the truth. I understood why he couldn't though so it was a frustrating lack of communication between them. And since we knew how much she dislikes secrets, the anxiety levels
Debra Fisk
Sep 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I was given an ARC of this book at RWA conference, and I was thrilled to get it into my hands. I love the Barefoot Bay Series and this novel does not disappoint and was well worth the wait.

Roxanne St. Claire has been one of my all time favorite authors for years. So when I learned about the Barefoot Bay Series I couldn't wait to read them and now book four is out. Tessa and Ian (John Brown) have such a chemistry I found myself unable to put the book down. I love when i can throw myself into a b
Vicki
Sep 15, 2013 rated it liked it
I have like all of Roxanne St. Claire's books in the past. I really liked the first three of the Barefoot books but I had a real hard time getting into this book. I was not a fan of Tessa. I felt she was too rigid in her "secrets" problem and was only willing to see things in black and white when the world is really shades of gray. I liked John and understood where he was coming from but, like some others, thought a week or two was a little fast for the whole relationship to get that far. I woul ...more
Gina Ceballos
Oct 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013-reads
I really enjoyed all books in this series, but this one actually made me cry. It was SOOO Good. There was so much depth in the characters that you feel you know them personally.

This books has it all. The great characters, the fabulous male lead, the amazing chemistry, a plot to keep you hooked, the simple and complicated things in life, the laughs and cries, but most importantly a believable HEA. I Loved it.
Marianne
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I received an ARC from the author for an honest review. First of all, I have to say I love Roxanne St. Claire. Her Bullet Catcher series introduced me to her and I've been a fan ever since. This book did not disappoint! In fact, I couldn't put it down. Finished it in an all-day marathon of reading. If you've never read Roxanne, give this one a try. It has something for everyone!
Jeannie
Nov 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is a rip-at-your-heart, tear-jerking romance and I loved it. I keep going back and re-reading parts because I'm haunted by the emotional connection between Tessa and Ian. This is officially one of my all-time favorite romances. Loved it, loved it, loved it.

Can you tell I loved it? Sorry. I'm a little overcome. Bravo, Rocki!
Bookfreak OHearn
Oct 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
I truly enjoyed the other books in this series. However the constant was my dislike for Tessa and her I just want a baby. I was not even able to finish this book. I can't honestly say I have disliked a character in a book until now. I am looking forward to the other series in this, however I truly hope she does not make many appearances.
Jennifer Hevern
May 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved Tessa and Ian's story, the 4th book in the Barefoot Bay series. It was so, sweet and just really beautiful. I thoroughly enjoyed the struggle Ian felt - falling in love and trying to do the right thing. My favorite so far in this series.
  • The Love Shack (Beach House No. 9, #3)
  • The Way Home (One-Eyed Jacks #2)
  • Sanctuary Island (Sanctuary Island #1)
  • Friends to Lovers (Aisle Bound, #3)
  • Hot Summer Nights (Bluebonnet, #2.5, Serendipity, #3.5, Hope, #0.5)
  • Back to You (Coming Home, #2)
  • Always on My Mind (Lucky Harbor, #8)
  • Anything But Love (Cupcake Lovers, #3)
  • Cowboy Take Me Away (Rainbow Valley, #1)
  • Out of the Blue (Stewart Sisters, #2)
  • Holiday Sparks
  • Inn at Last Chance (Last Chance, #7)
  • No Turning Back (Hanover Brothers, #1)
  • Perfect Fling (Serendipity's Finest, #2)
  • Forbidden (Southern Comfort #2)
  • You're The One (Bad Boys of Red Hook, #2)
  • Two Turtle Island Doves (Turtle Island, #2.5)
  • Seven-Night Stand
I don’t know about you, but when I check out an author's bio, it’s usually because I’ve read a book I liked and wondered about the person behind it. Let's skip the formal bio and I'll give you the inside scoop on who Roxanne St. Claire really is.

First of all, call me Rocki. Everyone does. Evidently, when my mother brought me home from the hospital I seemed too scrawny and small to pull off “Roxan
More about Roxanne St. Claire

Barefoot Bay (4 books)
  • Barefoot in the Sand (Barefoot Bay, #1; Barefoot Bay Universe, #1)
  • Barefoot in the Rain (Barefoot Bay, #2; Barefoot Bay Universe, #2)
  • Barefoot in the Sun (Barefoot Bay, #3; Barefoot Bay Universe, #3)

Romance Deals

• Protected (Deadly Secrets, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Plain Fame (Plain Fame #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Crazy Little Thing (Bell Harbor, #1)
  • Safe Haven
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The King (Masterpiece Duet, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • Along the Broken Road (The Roads to River Rock, #1)
  • Avalon
    $14.99 $1.99
  • Down the Hidden Path (The Roads to River Rock Book 2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Kind of You (Trillium Bay #1)
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Queen and the Cure (The Bird and the Sword Chronicles, #2)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • If You Stay (Beautifully Broken, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Moonlight Over Paris
    $10.74 $1.99
  • Crossing Hearts (Cross Creek, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Exposure (Midnight, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Burned by Her Devotion (Rogue Vows, #2)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • The Trouble with Dukes (Windham Brides, #1)
    $6.99 $2.99
  • Crossing the Line (Cross Creek #2)
  • Yours Until Dawn
    $6.74 $1.99
  • Fallen Crest Forever (Fallen Crest Series #7)
  • I See London, I See France
  • Dragonwyck
  • While You Were Mine
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Falling Star (Shooting Stars, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly in Love (Lake Haven, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seconds to Live (Scarlet Falls #3)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Her Darkest Nightmare (The Evelyn Talbot Chronicles, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Passing His Guard (Against the Cage, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Hour of Need (Scarlet Falls, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Minutes to Kill (Scarlet Falls, #2)
  • Sharp Edges
    $6.72 $1.99
  • Our Now and Forever (Ardent Springs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • #Starstruck (#Lovestruck, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Beauty of Us (Fusion, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Law of Moses (The Law of Moses, #1)
    $5.95 $2.49
  • Emerald (Red Hot Love #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • She Can Run (She Can Series)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • White Heat (Firefighter Book 1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • His First and Last (Ardent Springs, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Softhearted (Deep in the Heart, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Goodbye Bride (Summer Harbor, #2)
  • The Wedding Chapel
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Raven Prince (princes trilogy)
  • Maggie's Turn
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cover of Darkness (Suspense Series, #2)
  • After You Left
    $4.99 $1.99
  • How the Cowboy Was Won (Cupid, Texas, #6)
  • Don't Let Go
  • Magnolia Nights
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Her Last Goodbye (Morgan Dane, #2)
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Filthy Rich (Blackstone Dynasty, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Tempting the Beast (Breeds, #1; Feline Breeds, #1)
  • Saving Abby
    $4.49 $1.99
  • She Can Kill (She Can...#5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Gone (Deadly Secrets, #2)
  • Trust in Advertising
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Fatal Pursuit (Aegis, #3)
  • Changing Lanes
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Doing It Over (Most Likely To, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • One Dance with a Duke (Stud Club, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • An Obsession with Vengeance (Wanted Men, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Promise of Provence (Love in Provence, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Tracks of Her Tears (Rogue Winter, #1)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • A Matter of Grave Concern
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Duke's Holiday (The Regency Romp Trilogy, #1)
  • Stay (WAGs, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Seventh Grave and No Body (Charley Davidson, #7)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Heat Wave
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Pleasures (Pleasures, #2)
  • Hello Love
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Be Mine Tonight  (Brotherhood of Blood, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • A Darker Dream
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone like You (Someone to Love, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Murder Notes (Lilah Love, #1)
  • Since You've Been Gone
  • The Laws of Gravity
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dangerous Waters (Barkley Sound, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Dating (Not Quite, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Mine (Not Quite, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Only for You (Sugar Lake #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Salvation of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #2)
  • Stay With Me
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Scandalous Liaisons
  • Fired (Worked Up, #1)
  • Story of O
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Styxx (Dark-Hunter, #23)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Unleashed (Ross Siblings #1)
    $3.99 $0.00
  • The Affair
    $18.99 $1.99
  • Someone for Me (Someone to Love, #3)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Some Kind of Hero (Troubleshooters, #17)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • How to Marry a Millionaire Vampire (Love at Stake, #1)
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Love with a Perfect Cowboy (Cupid, Texas, #4)
  • Internet Famous
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Kissing in America
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Rock Me (Ross Siblings Book 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • A Love of Vengeance (Wanted Men, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone to Love (Someone to Love, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Best Man (Alpha Men, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Never Love a Cowboy (Rogues in Texas, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wrong Question, Right Answer (The Bourbon Street Boys #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Bent (Back to Brooklyn, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Stone Cold Cowboy (Montana Men, #4)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Dating (Lake Haven,  #2)
  • Midnight Embrace
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Suddenly Engaged (Lake Haven #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Shadow Fall (Tracers, #9)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • She Can Hide (She Can, #4)
  • The Crush
    $7.99 $2.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • More to Give (Anchor Island #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Up to the Challenge (Anchor Island, #2)
  • The Color of Secrets
    $5.99 $2.99
  • Home to Stay (Anchor Island, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Gone to Her Grave (Rogue River, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Someone Like Her (K2 Team, #2)
  • Thrill of Love
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Perfect (Not Quite Series, #5)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Enough (Not Quite, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Mighty Storm (The Storm, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Not Quite Forever (Not Quite, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Hellion (Wicked Wallflowers, #1)
  • Roomies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crazy for Her (K2 Team, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Left Drowning (Left Drowning #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • All I Need Is You (Thrillseekers Anonymous, #1)
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Midnight Sacrifice (Midnight, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Obsession (Midnight, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Betrayal (Midnight, #3)
  • Meant to Be