Start by marking “Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, and Praise Songs of Thanksgiving” as Want to Read:
Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, and Praise Songs of Thanksgiving

Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, and Praise Songs of Thanksgiving

Newbery Medal winner Katherine Paterson and cut-paper artist Pamela Dalton give fans of all ages even more to be thankful for with Giving Thanks, a special book about gratitude. Katherine Paterson's meditations on what it means to be truly grateful and Pamela Dalton's exquisite cut-paper illustrations are paired with a collection of over 50 graces, poems, and praise songs ...more
Published October 15th 2013 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about Giving Thanks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Giving Thanks

Start your review of Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, and Praise Songs of Thanksgiving
Becky
Jun 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, read-in-2014
Although this was marketed as a children's book, I don't think that is the correct audience. It is a collection, as the subtitle indicates, of poems, prayers, and praise songs of thanksgiving. Although children could appreciate this collection if guided by an adult, I don't think there are many kids in elementary school who are going to sit down and read this book cover to cover. For all audiences this us a book to dip into, to sip from, to pull a passage out and savor it. It is a beautiful ...more
Leaflet
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: poetry, picture-book
The five stars are mainly for two pages - The pair of watercolor trees framing two portions of Wendell Berry's poems, and the e.e. cummings "This Amazing Day' framed by branches hung with yellow catkins.

Wendell Berry (from 'Prayers and Sayings of the Mad Farmer'):

When I rise up
let me rise up joyful
like a bird.

When I fall
let me fall without regret
like a leaf.

(and from 'Woods')

I part the out thrusting branches
and come in beneath
the blessed and the blessing trees.

Though I am silent there is
Elizabeth
Nov 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A collection of gratitude.
The scissor cuts are amazing.
Marisa Maloney
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Reading this book in November . I pretty much love anything by Katherine Paterson and this was no exception. I wanted to include this picture type book in my reading list this year because it truly beautiful. Her essays on being thankful are so wonderful and thought provoking. Then I equally enjoy the primes, prayers, songs, sermon quotes and other writings she included. Want to buy this one!
Alicia Thompson
Nov 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
We select a poem nearly every week for my kids to recite. It is probably the part they enjoy most of our school week. Unfortunately, my kids didn't find many poems they liked. I, however, enjoyed many. I'll try it again when they're older.
MotherofReaders
We chose a blessing to read for each day leading to our thanksgiving trip. My preschooler enjoyed it and asked to bring the book along on our trip so we could continue. ...more
Cindy
Mar 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
A very inspiring book. I am ordering a copy for myself and some friends. If you need a gift, consider this book.
Alice
Dec 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Lovely poetry, prayer, and art. Katherines reflections per section an added treasure. ...more
Mary
Dec 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I found this in the children's section, but it is a beautiful book for adults to read.
Kate Schwarz
Oct 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: other
Fine collection of graces, blessings, bits of speeches, and sayings about gratitude and giving thanks. It would make a nice gift book for a grandparent--it's definitely a good one to page through from time to time to remind oneself about being thankful.

Paterson adds thoughtful stories at the beginning of each chapter; my favorite was the reminder of how rich we are when we have enough food to eat. She recalls a Japanese friend whose family was greatly affected during WWII... They were so poor
Angie
Nov 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Synopsis: "Newbery Medal winner Katherine Paterson and cut-paper artist Pamela Dalton give fans of all ages even more to be thankful for with Giving Thanks, a special book about gratitude. Katherine Paterson's meditations on what it means to be truly grateful and Pamela Dalton's exquisite cut-paper illustrations are paired with a collection of over 50 graces, poems, and praise songs from a wide range of cultures, religions, and voices. The unique collaboration between these two extraordinary ...more
Erik This Kid Reviews Books
The illustrations are gorgeous! They are made from cut paper, and are beautiful! There are some small, colored illustrations, too. Those are pretty, though they are less seen. I like the variety of poems and prayers and praises in the book, and that they are divided up into sections about different things. I like how there are quotes, poems, songs, prayers scattered in the book. They are from all different cultures and times. There is really something for everyone in this book!

About the author
Susan
Sep 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful little book: both words and illustrations. The words are selections of poems, prayers and praise songs chosen by award-winning author Katherine Paterson describing the whys and wherefores of giving thanks and being grateful. She has grouped them by types of thanksgiving and introduced each division with a brief, personal essay. The illustrations are delicate, intricate cut-paper designs by Pamela Dalton. She has a website which is worth visiting. It shows more of her art and has some ...more
Margie
Dec 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Giving Thanks: Poems, Prayers, And Praise Songs Of Thanksgiving edited and with reflections by Katherine Paterson with illustrations by Pamela Dalton is as breathtaking as their first collaboration, Brother Sun, Sister Moon. I highly recommend it for your personal and classroom collections due to the diversity of choices within the pages. It makes you stop, take note and be grateful. It can be the basis of a variety of discussions and writing prompts with your students.

My full review:
Shirleen
Nov 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this beautiful book of simple poems and songs of gratitude for life, many of them familiar favorites of mine. I also loved reading the author's (Katherine Paterson) thoughts, stories and words of wisdom, which are interspersed within this book. Katherine Paterson is a Newbery, National Book Award and Laura Ingalis Wilder award winner and has great insights into life. The illustrations are lovely as well! A great gift book!
Crystal
Apr 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
The cut-paper illustrations are intricate and lovely. The poems and quotes give readers much to think about. It does lean religious, but I think most readers would expect that and not be surprised given the topic and subtitle.

I found myself jotting down many poems and quotes in my reading journal. There is a lot of wisdom in this book.
Tracy
Nov 14, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a collection of poems, proverbs and short stories all with the theme of giving thanks. It is not a thanksgiving book about the holiday. It is a book about being grateful to God and how many different cultures express their thanks. It is wonderful and the paper cutting illustrations are cool.
Barbara
Nov 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: story-time
Beautiful book. Paterson includes lyrical, thoughtful, heartfelt prayers and meditations with cut paper illustrations so perfect that I want to pass this book to each family member at my Thanksgiving table to select one to share aloud.
Jennifer Heise
Feb 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An excellent collection of poems, prayers and thanksgivings to use with a family or other group. A good resource for spiritual groups of all types, with Christian, Judaic, and other spiritual traditions represented. I want own a copy and pair with Life Prayers or Earth Prayers.
Heather
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thanksgiving
A delightful collection with beautiful, impressive paper-cut illustrations. One of my favorite selections: "Blessed are we who can laugh at ourselves, for we shall never cease to be amused" (author unknown).
Elaine
Feb 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Fantastic collection of more than 50 poems expressing thankfulness, edited by Katherine Patterson. Each time I thought I had read the best poem, the next one was even better. Illustrations are by Pamela Dalton - beautiful.

Robin Yardi
Nov 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Giving Thanks glows gently with gratitude and love. You can open it anywhere and find something beautiful to read, see and be thankful for.

This weekend I'm giving away a copy on my review blog - you could have it by Thanksgiving!

www.RobinDobsonBooks.com
Roberta
This is a lovely expression of thanksgiving, prayers, poems, songs, and psalms, for everything from food to life in general to soul & spirit to community. Pamela Dalton illustrated with intricate scherenschnitte designs.
Kathryn
Oct 30, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thanksgiving, 2014
This book is filled with graces, prayers and songs of thanks giving, of gratitude. Many I have heard, said and sang. It is beautifully put together and is a book that would be nice to have to read each November.
Whole And
Brilliant, grounding, uplifting, beautiful.
We were immersed for hours in this poems and prayers
full of grace and gratitude. Rich discussion and art work evolved
out of this book. An excellent compilation with personalized stories from the author.
Thoroughly enjoyed this book.
Bethe
bookaday #12. Nice collection of mostly classic poems, songs, and prayers from multiple traditions and faiths, like the intricate cut paperwork in the illustrations.
Jan 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful poems and exquisite cut-paper illustrations. A lovely way to begin 2014.
Larena
May 15, 2019 rated it liked it
C: CHILDREN: No offensive language, sex or nudity but might contain occasional comedic Violence.

E:Easy: 3rd grade Vocabulary

Method: E-Book

Location: New York Public Library
Maren Prestegaard
Nov 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fall
Beautiful coffee table book. Must have.
Debby Baumgartner
Jan 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poems, songs, thanks, prayers
collections of poems, prayers, and songs that give thanks. Illustrations are beautiful paper cuttings by Pamela Dalton.

• A Voice in the Wind (Mark of the Lion, #1)
  • The Legend of Old Befana
  • The Berenstain Bears and the Prize Pumpkin
  • Hallelujah: A Journey through Advent with Handel's Messiah
  • Gracias The Thanksgiving Turkey
  • A Christmas Carol and Other Favorites:
  • The Princess in Black (The Princess in Black, #1)
  • Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims (Adventures of Rush Revere, #1)
  • A History of Christian Missions (The Penguin History of the Church, #6)
  • The Evolution of Calpurnia Tate (Calpurnia Tate, #1)
  • Tops & Bottoms
  • Winter Sisters (Mary Sutter, #2)
  • Jotham's Journey: A Storybook for Advent
  • The Dragonling (The Dragonling, #1)
From author's website:

People are always asking me questions I don't have answers for. One is, "When did you first know that you wanted to become a writer?" The fact is that I never wanted to be a writer, at least not when I was a child, or even a young woman. Today I want very much to be a writer. But when I was ten, I wanted to be either a movie star or a missionary. When I was twenty, I wanted

News & Interviews