Start by marking “X-Men: Magik: Storm & Illyana” as Want to Read:
X-Men: Magik: Storm & Illyana

X-Men: Magik: Storm & Illyana

(Uncanny X-Men (1963) #160)

Colossus' seven-year-old sister Illyana Rasputin has been snatched away by Belasco, demon lord of Limbo! Though the X-Men rescue her what seems like seconds later, those seconds represent a years-long ordeal for Illyana...one that starts with losing a piece of her soul, and goes downhill fast! The sorceress Ororo and feline warrior Cat - alternate-reality versions of X-Men ...more
Published September 17th 2013 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about X-Men, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about X-Men

Start your review of X-Men: Magik: Storm & Illyana
Rosa
Aug 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
As a relatively recent convert to comics, I've had a lot of catching up to do. This mini-series is now one of my favorites. Frequently I've found it difficult to become fully emotionally engaged with older stories, but I had no such trouble with this one. The characterization and pacing are spot-on. The vivid portrayal of Illyana's tumultuous growth from a young child to an emotionally-mature teenager is particularly impressive, both in terms of art and writing. I'd barely encountered the ...more
Stephen
Jan 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Chris Claremont was a true comics risk taker in the old days. This classic 4 issue mini-series set the table for the Inferno crossover in the mid-80s.

In this collection, we start out with Uncanny X-Men #160 to see the story of Illyana (Sister of Colossus) getting kidnapped by the Demon Sorcerer Belasco. He takes her to Limbo where some weird timey-wimey stuff happens). Demons and magic (or is that Magik?) enter the X-Men story which had been dominated by aliens and battles with evil mutants.

Aaron Wiener
Feb 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: marvel-comics
I started this a while ago, and was so bored by the first issue, that I put it aside.

Im happy to report that it gets much, much better.

This is a very dark and grim tale, and by the end, I was fascinated by Illyana and her origin story.

I definitely recommend this X Men book. Its adds richness to the over all X Men mythos, and is also an entertaining and dark story about good vs evil.
Bracken
Jan 05, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As much fun as I remember, though the characters' constant exposition is a little annoying.
Fate's Lady
Jun 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
This was dark and tragic and completely heartbreaking but also very powerful and incredibly well written. Despite the horror and tragedy of it all, Illyana becomes a strong sorceress and her powers are forged by her suffering and torment. She's a very dark character with a very serious arc, and I felt like it was handled very well.
Justin Lee
Dec 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This was pretty dark. It was denser than I expected, but I appreciated the tone and the style. You get to learn a lot about Magik, the character.
David
Jul 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Classic. Just read it'll be included in the next Uncanny Masterwork. Sweet!!
Nicholas Kaufmann
Mar 21, 2020 rated it really liked it
My favorite member of THE NEW MUTANTS was always Illyana Rasputin, Colossus's little sister, a.k.a. Magik. Aside from my obvious adolescent crush on her, I was drawn to her mix of mutant and mystical abilities. Sure, she can summon "stepping discs" that allow her to teleport anywhere (and sometimes even through time), but she also has a cool "soulsword" and magical armor and a repertoire of spells at her disposal! Coupled with her constant internal battle against the dark, demonic side of her ...more
C
Oct 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Somehow I had never read these issues back in the day and I really wish that I had.

Illyana was never a character that really connected with me but I think if I had read this story, she would have a lot more. Also, Inferno would have made a bit more sense.

At any rate, it is a good story from the high days of Claremont being Claremont that gives us Illyana's origin and has some interesting twists along the way.
saskia
Mar 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics-2017
I'm glad that I've finally seen how Illyana's sword was formed and how she escaped from limbo but Belasco slut shaming and Illyana claiming his "natural man power" made him stronger *rolls eyes*. I know I have to think about the time it was written but it does not mean I have to accept it :)
Paxton Holley
Jan 24, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
4 issue mini-series featuring Colossus' sister. Meh. Didn't love it. This character becomes more important later on during the Marvel NOW! Uncanny X-Men storylines.
Martin Maenza
Mar 17, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, super-hero, marvel
I read the first part of this back in the day. Nice to be able to read the rest. The story still works.
Jessie B.
Pretty good though the story is dark, but it does a good job of explaining how the character became who she is.
Dave Timm
A masterclass in comic book writing and storytelling
Chris

• Secret Empire Prelude
  • The Multiversity
  • Secret Empire
  • Teen Titans, Vol. 1: Blinded by the Light
Chris Claremont is a writer of American comic books, best known for his 16-year (1975-1991) stint on Uncanny X-Men, during which the series became one of the comic book industry's most successful properties.

Claremont has written many stories for other publishers including the Star Trek Debt of Honor graphic novel, his creator-owned Sovereign Seven for DC Comics and Aliens vs Predator for Dark

Uncanny X-Men (1963) (1 - 10 of 541 books)
  • Uncanny X-Men (1963-2011) #-1