Start by marking “Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats” as Want to Read:
Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats

Eat Fat, Lose Fat: The Healthy Alternative to Trans Fats

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  1,156 Ratings  ·  71 Reviews
Based on more than two decades of research, Eat Fat, Lose Fat flouts conventional wisdom by revealing that so-called healthy vegetable oils (such as corn and soybean) are in large part responsible for our national obesity and health crisis, while the saturated fats traditionally considered “harmful” (from such foods as coconut, butter, and meat) are essential to weight los
Published April 1st 2006 by Plume Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Eat Fat, Lose Fat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Eat Fat, Lose Fat

Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is the best book on nutrition I've ever read and I've read dozens. Nutrition is my passion and everyone needs to learn about saturated fats, and how the government has manipulated the american diet for financial gain of oil companies (corn, canola, safflower, sunflower, etc.). Though this book can be used as a diet book, there are also sections on healing and just eating well, not losing weight. If you do nothing else, incorporate coconut oil, at the very least, into your diet.
Mar 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book deserves all the high ratings it has been given. I've read dozens of books on diet but this one really stood out.

Part of the book was about weight loss but the bigger part was about health, and very useful.

This book is probably the book I would recommend if you could only buy one book containing practical information about what to eat. We need to eat real food!

I can't afford to follow every suggestion (grass fed organic meats only etc.), but I have already made changes to my diet th
Angela Boord
Jul 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: real-food
While I think this book has something important to say and more people should hear the basic message -- i.e, vegetable oils and trans-fats are the real culprit in heart disease,obesity, etc., not saturated fats from animals or coconut oil (in other words, real food) -- and Mary Enig's discussion of how her research was covered up various food corporations was a real eye-opener... I was disappointed that this book fell into the "nutrionism" trap, too. In other words, I don't think that people nor ...more
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
I had begun adding coconut oil to my diet before picking up this book. I had heard from a reputable source about the effects of coconut oil on memory loss, early-onset Alzheimers etc. so I was curious to see what this book had to say. I wasn't interested in yet another "miracle" diet, but in the science behind it. All of the studies cited are documented, chapter and verse, and anyone with access to JSTOR can check them out if they are so inclined. Yes, the writing style is repetitive, but having ...more
Sep 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: health-matters
I want to take this book down to my doctor's surgery and lock them all in until they have read it and researched it and come to some sensible conclusions for a change!

If you think polyunsaturated fats and oils are the future if you want to live a healthy life, you MUST read this book. If you aren't throwing your Sunflower Oil, your Corn Oil and a few others into the dustbin along with your margarines by the time you are half-way through, you must be crazy.
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nutrition
Dr. Mary Enig was ignored by the decision makers when she said -- long before trans fats required labeling in America -- that man-made transfats are bad, very bad. She was right while almost everyone else was wrong, and that's why I'm very interested to hear what else she has to say about dietary fat.

What she says is right, I am sure of it too, because my own body hacking experiment shows that no, you don't get fat by increasing your good-fats, and that you may actually improve body composition.
Jul 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book is a great addition to my library for a healthy diet. I prefer to take bits and pieces of information from many different diet types to create my own diet that works for me, and Eat Fat, Lose Fat provides a lot of healthy alternatives to our (unfortunately) normal gamut of foods that contain trans fats or other low-quality fats.

I also appreciate Enig and Fallon's views on the important role of saturated fats (as also expressed in Fallon's book Nourishing Traditions), and this book has
May 01, 2009 rated it liked it
This book was recommended by a friend and it had a lot of good information. Personally though, I am tired of all the diet/ nutrtion books that contradict each other continually. Partly which is why I refuse to diet. That and lack of will power and love for food. High fat/low fat, high protein/low protein, high carbs/low carbs, fasting/no fasting, cooked/raw, drink lots of water/you don't need that much water, caffeine/ no caffeine, eat these foods/avoid these foods, and the one thing they all se ...more
Mar 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I read this book several years ago, and still base a lot of my eating habits on the author's ideas. She examines the lipid hypothesis, where we get the idea that saturated fat causes heart disease, obesity, etc. She looks at the recent history of the American food industry and talks about how the theories about carbohydrates and fats have been quietly disproven. I don't follow everything she says in the book in my own diet, but I do follow the basic premise that fat is not bad for you. I've rece ...more
Apr 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is written by the founder of the Weston A. Price foundation and Mary Enig who is a leading researcher of fats. It is based on a traditional diet- unprocessed whole foods and animal prodcuts. It has some very important information about fats that run counter to popular ideas about nutrition. It has completely changed the way I eat and I feel it is a "must-have" for someone trying to re-claim their health.
Jun 01, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book gave me the final push I needed to fully commit to a healthier way of eating. An amazing resource with lots of recipes I want to try. Highly recommended.
Feb 06, 2012 rated it liked it
I decided to read this book because I want to know which healthy fats I should add to my diet. The book should've just been titled "Cocunt Oil and Cod-Liver Oil" since those are the two fats emphasized throughout the entire book, especially coconut oil. The beginning of the book begins with a look at past and current research egarding the good and evils off dietary fat, with Enig and Fallon clearing up misconcpetions about saturated fats that are found in animals, dairy, nuts, and especially coc ...more
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing

The authors quickly debunk the saturated fat myth and focus on the how's and why's the food industry has perpetrated the mythology of saturated fats being unhealthy for you and have substituted in other synthetic and liquid fats which have created long term health problems in people trying to "eat right" and "eat low-fat" diets. These diets are actually starving your bodies of stuff you need to be healthy. You can be 200 lbs overweight but still malnourished. Also, they explain how using the cor
Sep 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Good stuff. Breaks down fats, carbohydrates, and proteins, but breaks down fats in great detail. Turns out saturated fat can be quite good for you, depending on the source. Our ancestors have been eating healthy, saturated fats for a long time. Feel free to eat eggs all you want, as long as they are from pastured chickens. Have plenty of organic coconut oil, raw cream and whole milk and tallow from pastured cows, etc.

Eat like your ancestors, and your health will benefit. You also might lose som
Jan 12, 2013 rated it liked it
This was a good quick read since I've already read through Nourishing Traditions. If you have read NT and/or if you already understand that fat is not a "bad" thing, then I don't seem much purpose in this book UNLESS you want to try one of their weight loss plans. This book gives a couple of different menu options (with recipes from NT) for how to lose weight over a couple of weeks. I didn't like that, in many cases, chunks of text was taken directly from NT. It was a lazy work on the authors' p ...more
Dec 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Eat Fat, Lose Fat is a sensible and nourishing approach to weight loss based on traditional foods principles. The book is engaging and interesting to read, with just the right amount of technical information to leave you informed, but not bored. The menu plans are simple and easy to follow, as is the plentiful recipe section. Highly recommend this for anyone looking for a "diet" that nourishes their body instead of depriving it!
Nov 23, 2010 rated it liked it
The book is a little repetitive, not only within the book, but also in reference to the author's previous book "Nourishing Traditions" and I actually just skimmed through some of the background information.

The way the book is organized is a little confusing and seems thrown together, however the theory behind the diet plans included (there are 4 different plans in the book) was explained well.
Jul 12, 2012 rated it really liked it
Tremendously helpful book. Does a great job of explaining how we need to eat and why whether someone needs to lose weight or not. I did not give it 5 stars merely because some of the recipes are only so-so but there are alot of great recipes out there now that follow these principles. For that matter, there are alot of recipes I already use that I could merely tweak and they became alot of healthier! Must read!
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Very interesting take on the good ol' lipid hypothesis (a.k.a: saturated fat will cause heart disease). I think Enig and Fallon did a super job of debunking the myth that saturated fat causes athersclerosis. They carefully reviewed the evidence, including the famed Framingham study, and one by one showed how these studies do not show a link between saturated fat and heart disease. Hmmm... I think I'll go eat a boiled egg slathered in butter and salt.
Oct 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book about losing weight and becoming healthy with natural, traditional foods. It's surprising how much information this book has to offer! Learn the truth about which fats are healthy and what foods can set you on the right path in your journey to weight loss and health. Highly recommended!!!
Aug 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
The main premise is cutting processed food from one's diet (makes perfect sense) and eating real food- with a specific spotlight on coconut oil. This is not the first time I have read about the benefits of coconut oil and having just picked up a bucket (yes, a bucket) of virgin organic coconut oil, I will be giving this a try.... Both inside and out....
Mar 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: health
I hesitated to even put this on Goodreads because it's the first nutrition book I've read that sounds like a weight loss gimmick. I'm kind of embarrassed! but I'm reading it for the info on coconut oil :P
Doris Jean
Love this book. It's a way of eating for a healthy life. Mary Enig was a world-class oil chemist. (She and Sally Fallon Morell previously wrote a wonderful cookbook called "Nourishing Traditions which is accurately based in nutrition for good health.)

In Part One of "Eat Fat, Lose Fat...", there are four chapters called "The Truth About Fats"and they focus on dietary fats and explain why we need to eat fats, especially animal fats. We have been bullied and shamed out of eating fats by the diet d
William Nist
May 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is about healthy eating through Coconut oil, fish eggs, liver (and other products), as well as cod liver oil supplements. It is sort of an Atkins diet with these products added. There are many recipes included.

I guess I will have to make a decision at some point about low-carb and high-fat diets for health and weight control. The authors present compelling reasons why the standard dietary advice is wrong. It falls in with some other reads that I have recently completed. This is a majo
Dave Riley
Apr 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Top of the fat eating pile...comes to me recommended. Essential read if you want to move your gut into radical edge of the dietary war zone . It's like committing incest: sleeping with saturated fats. Nonetheless, there wasn't much for me to take away as I find it far too much formatted by guru speak despite the science. Put me right off. Makes you think you are born again rather than simply fed. But I did learn about the joy of the coconut and especially coconut oil. And my penchant to embrace ...more
Erin Stuhlsatz
3 cl garlic
1/2 t dried chile flakes
1 T sea salt
1/4 c whey

Pound. Let sit. Pound. Stuff into jar. veg 1 inch below surface. cover tightly room temp 3 days. fridge.

Miso Soup w/ Cabbage
2 c cabbage (or Chiense)
1 T fish sauce.

Stock to boil, whisk in miso. Add ingred. simmer 10 m

Jul 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book is vey good explaining problems with a lot of the oils we cook with today. It is very coconut driven, but if you read Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon, you will see more of the animal fats in there. This book is geared more to helping you loose weight or heal when your body systems are messed up. Nourishing Traditions is a cookbook but each section has a few pages of explanation before it gives recipes. And the beginning of the book has a lot of important information.
Aug 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book has some great information, especially on the role of saturated fats (particularly coconut oil) in our diets. The first several chapters are well worth reading, but the book gets a little diet book-ish after that. However, if you are interested in learning more about using coconut oil in your daily diet this is definitely the book you've been looking for. And, there are some really amazing recipes at the end.
Christina Knotts
Feb 18, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Although I do not have a Success story yet (I believe my body is still cleaning out itself!), I think this is an issue we all need to be aware of.

We are simply deprived of good fats... fats that are really beneficial to our bodies.

I'm excited to see how well the Coconut Oil does for me in a year from now!
Apr 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Getting people to understand that fat doesn't make them fat is almost like holding back the tide.

I can't have a of of coconut oil as it is high in salicylates that make my finger tips crack. I still use it occasionally.
  • Know Your Fats: The Complete Primer for Understanding the Nutrition of Fats, Oils and Cholesterol
  • The Untold Story of Milk: Green Pastures, Contented Cows and Raw Dairy Products
  • Nutrition and Physical Degeneration: A Comparison of Primitive and Modern Diets and Their Effects
  • Dangerous Grains: The Devastating Truth About Wheat and Gluten, and How to Restore Your Health
  • Life Without Bread: How a Low-Carbohydrate Diet Can Save Your Life
  • The Great Cholesterol Con: The Truth About What Really Causes Heart Disease and How to Avoid It
  • Fats That Heal, Fats That Kill
  • The Fourfold Path to Healing: Working with the Laws of Nutrition, Therapeutics, Movement, and Meditation in the Art of Medicine
  • The Diet Cure
  • Cure Tooth Decay: Heal and Prevent Cavities with Nutrition
  • Gut and Psychology Syndrome: Natural Treatment for Autism, ADD/ADHD, Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, Depression, Schizophrenia
  • Primal Body, Primal Mind: Beyond the Paleo Diet for Total Health and a Longer Life
  • Deep Nutrition: Why Your Genes Need Traditional Food
  • The Coconut Oil Miracle
  • The World's Healthiest Foods: Essential Guide for the Healthiest Way of Eating
  • Excitotoxins: The Taste that Kills
  • The Metabolic Typing Diet: Customize Your Diet To: Free Yourself from Food Cravings: Achieve Your Ideal Weight; Enjoy High Energy and Robust Health; Prevent and Reverse Disease
  • Why Stomach Acid Is Good for You: Natural Relief from Heartburn, Indigestion, Reflux and Gerd
Sally Fallon Morell is the co-founder and president of The Weston A. Price Foundation. According to the WAPF, she received a B.A. in English from Stanford University and an M.A. in English from UCLA.
More about Sally Fallon Morell...

Nonfiction Deals

$11.49 $1.99
  • Evangelii Gaudium: The Joy of the Gospel
  • The Heart of Christianity
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Hardwiring Happiness: The New Brain Science of Contentment, Calm, and Confidence
    $13.99 $3.99