Start by marking “Mavericks, Miracles, and Medicine: The Pioneers Who Risked Their Lives to Bring Medicine into the Modern Age” as Want to Read:

3.98  ·  Rating details ·  43 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
Mavericks, Miracles, and Medicine brings to life stories of the pioneering geniuses, eccentrics, and freethinkers who moved beyond the conventions of their day at great personal risk—and often with tragic results—to push forward the boundaries of modern medicine. From Werner Forssmann, who was so confident in his theory that doctors could insert a catheter into humans' hea ...more
Published August 13th 2003 by Basic Books (first published July 24th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Mavericks, Miracles, and Medicine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mavericks, Miracles, and Medicine

Deborah LaRoche
Jul 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
I found this book fascinating...I found I could read a chapter here or there when I was stuck in a waiting room or other spot with nothing to do. I will say that I bet the History Channel documentary was probably better than the narrative, only b/c so much of the stories would have made more sense to me (a non-medical-type) with visual aids.
Michael Kerwin
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
A really interesting read.
It's amazing to think how short-lived some of the medical advancements we've come to expect as "everyday" are.
Imagine surgery without anaesthetic, a most recent development in the grand scheme of things
Jessica
May 14, 2008 rated it really liked it
This one is a 3.5 for me. The subject matter wasn't super interesting to me but the writing was so good that I enjoyed it very much. Plus, I feel so smart when I know science stuff that my husband doesn't.
Peter Wolfley
Jun 04, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The history of medicine is amazing. We owe so much of our comfortable and healthy lives to the men who are chronicled in this book. It was so interesting to read about the struggles and set-backs these great men and women faced before going on to change the course of medical history and treatment.
Steve
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was ok
The stories and theme are compelling but the writing style was pretty lackluster.
Nancy
A book based on a History Channel documentary series about pioneers of medicine. An interesting read, makes me want to see the series, but is a bit dry for my tastes. Not a bad book, though.
Bridget
Apr 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Of course this genre isn't for everyone, but I loved it. Medicine and history are two of my favorite non-fiction topics. This has them both.
Edward Zimmermann