Start by marking “One Busy Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters” as Want to Read:
One Busy Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters

One Busy Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  263 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
All Mia wants is for her big brother, Spencer, to play with her. But he's always too busy! So Mia paints, and dances, and explores, and keep busy all by herself. But with a little imagination and a lot of love, Mia might just be able to show Spencer that it's a lot more fun to be busy together.
Published March 4th 2014 by Disney-Hyperion (first published March 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about One Busy Day, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about One Busy Day

Kristine Hansen
Aug 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Lavishly illustrated, we look at a day in the life of two very busy children. I love Mia's imagination and how she manages to pull her brother into her adventures. The pictures though are what made the story, bringing to life everything in Mia's mind. So much detail - a sheer pleasure to look at. I wouldn't mind reading this one over again a few times (something I can't always say about books I've read to my children).
Tasha
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The siblings from One Special Day return a little bit older in this follow-up picture book. Mia wants to play with her older brother Spencer, but he’s too busy playing on his own. So Mia starts being busy herself. She paints pictures, dances, explores caves, makes mudpies, and builds castles. Slowly as Mia plays, Spencer starts joining in with her, until they are playing together side-by-side. That’s when Mia’s castle needs defending from a dragon! And the two played together until bedtime.

Such
Jill
Apr 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. Mia so wants to play with her older brother, but like so many older siblings, he doesn't have time for her. So she goes off on her own and because she's doing such interesting things, he eventually joins her.

I like how the illustrator shows what the kid(s) are actually doing and then what it looks like in their imagination. I also like the picture of the parents looking on as the kids play together.

A co-worker thought the end look like "Where the Wild Things Are" with the kid
Melissa
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Cute story about the fun that can be had when siblings play and pretend together.
Cynthia
Mar 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a really cute, but apt story for siblings who don't always want to do everything together. Mia wants to hang out with her big brother, but he is VERY busy. So she does all kinds of other fantastic activities with her day and finally, he's ready to play!
Katelyn Patterson
Dec 13, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picturebook
Little sister Mia will do anything to play with her big brother Spencer... but he is always too busy. We see her go about her day painting, dancing, exploring, and baking. With each new activity she does, big brother seems to be getting more and more interested. He goes from watching from the sidelines to actively playing a part in her grand adventures. For the rest of the day they are busy together fighting off a fire-breathing dragon and sailing away in a pirate ship. The last page shows them ...more
Mundie Moms & Mundie Kids
This story is beautifully illustrated, wonderfully told, and one I'd highly recommend getting.

This is an adorable children's picture book, and so fitting for my family. I swear this story mirrored that of my children. The younger sister who wants to play with her big brother, and the big brother doing his own thing, secretly watching his little sister play, and then joining her for a fun afternoon of imagination play. I liked that the story featured both siblings playing by themselves, and using
Venkateshwar Rao
Feb 13, 2017 marked it as to-read
Joella www.cinjoella.com
In this fun story about a brother and sister, younger sister Mia wants to play with big brother Spencer. But Spencer is way too busy to do anything with Mia. So Mia started doing her own thing…which was adding a large dose of imagination to everything she did. Eventually Spencer realized just how fun Mia could be and soon they were busy together. This is seriously one of the sweetest books about how to get along without being preachy about it. Not to say that Mia and Spencer didn’t get along bef ...more
Diane
Jun 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
"Mia wanted to do something - anything - with her big brother, Spencer. But he was always too busy."

Mia uses her imagination to keep herself entertained. And as Spencer sees her having fun, he is drawn into her world and begins to participate.

I love the illustrations that start as the simple idea like exploring a cave made of blankets and chairs and when you turn the page, there's the actual cave (from the actual to the imagined). During read aloud, it might be fun to have students predict what
Sandy Brehl
One Busy Day follows the siblings from Schaefer's earlier One Special Day into a classic older/younger sibling relationship. Predictably, the novelty of a baby has worn off and the older child is too "busy" to play with the younger one. In this case younger Mia occupies herself creatively, with illustrations comparing her reality and her imagination. With very young children it provides an ideal opportunity to identify which illustrations are real and which are fantasy. Mia's energetic imaginati ...more
Danica Midlil
Jul 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Sort of a follow up to One Special Day: A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters One Special Day A Story for Big Brothers and Sisters by Lola M. Schaefer except that now it's a little sister instead of a baby brother.
Still very sweet and realistic. Really like this author's take on sibling relationships.
Erin
Apr 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
In a set-up common to all big-sibling/little-sibling conflict, Mia is ignored by her older brother when she wants to play. Nothing daunted, she plays on her own and has grand adventures of all kinds. She's having so much fun that Spencer is drawn right into her world, no manipulation or whining required.

My favorite bits about this book include the bold and exciting illustrations, and that Mia is shown playing in many different ways.

While the story is translatable to all kinds of siblings, it wil
Kristina Jean Lareau
Apr 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picturebook
This imaginative brother and sister story is not only for children with brothers and sisters. It is an energetically illustrated picturebook that intertwines the narrative and illustrations so well that the reader does not even realize that two complementary stories are occurring (well, that is, until you notice). This book is structured really well, and would make a good storytime choice as well.
Ashley
Mar 12, 2014 rated it liked it
The fact that the cover states that this is a story for "brothers and sisters" in a way sets the tone for the story more than is necessary.

The flow of the action from the sister playing alone, to slowly seeing the brother start to take part in her imaginative play, is powerful enough. The imagery is beautiful and the development of the relationship, more through images than words, is remarkably done.
Mary
Mar 07, 2014 rated it really liked it
Mia is a young girl who wants to play with her older brother, but he's always too busy. The book shows Mia contentedly playing by herself and then slowly the reader sees her brother, Spencer, hanging around in the background until he finally joins her. This is a nice follow-up to One Special Day that shows Spencer becoming a big brother when Mia is born.
Samantha
Imaginative play + siblings = charming read aloud. I loved the way the illustrations showed the differences between reality and imagination with the way the siblings played together. It was so inspiring to see children making castles and grand adventures out of their reality.

Highly recommended, especially as a gift to an older child in the event that they are gaining a sibling. PreK-2.
Jodie
Jul 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Great illustrations to this charming book about a sister who wants to play with her brother who is too busy to play. She decides to find things to do on her own and has a wonderful imagination. Eventually, brother realizes that by joining her he can have lots of fun too!
A
Mar 14, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imagination, siblings
Mia's big brother Spencer never seems to have time to play with her. But with a little imagination and lot of love, Mia shows Spencer it's a lot more fun to be busy together.

Love the illustrations
Alexandria Hiam
Mar 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: imagination, siblings

Love the illustrations
Marguarite Markley
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
A wonderful, simple story about a sibling relationship. I like the first story with these characters "One Special Day" when the little boy gets a new sister at the end of the book. Nicely executed sequel.
Maggie KutsBorg
May 05, 2014 rated it really liked it
I really like this story, where a little boy ignores his baby sister. By herself, she plays in one imaginative realm after another, until he realizes how much fun imagination is and joins in. The page turns are nice, showing what Mia is really doing and then what she imagines herself doing.
Nitza Campos
Jun 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
A sweet story about brothers and sisters. I really enjoyed the illustrations.
Debby Baumgartner
Mia has a great imagination and wants her brother to play with. Will her imaginative play activities drew her brother to her side.
Elisabeth
Jul 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
LOVE how Mia is able to not only entertain herself - but comes up with such great ideas her brother can't resist playing with her!
Rebecca Ann
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The illustrations in this are gorgeous and it has a classic brother/sister theme.
Liz Todd
Feb 07, 2015 rated it liked it
Very sweet story about a brother and sister playing pretend together.
Elisa
Nov 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children
Beautiful book full of imagination
Tracie
Mar 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Mia wants her older brother to do something with her, but he won't. She paints, etc. and he finally joins her in a grand imaginative adventure.
Brindi Michele
Siblings and imagination themes. I really like the end pages and it's full of big, beautiful illustrations. Really, really love this book.
  • Maple & Willow Together
  • Little Puppy and the Big Green Monster
  • The Line
  • Phoebe and Digger
  • Night Light
  • Hickory Dickory Dog
  • Snow Dog, Sand Dog
  • How to Share with a Bear
  • Me and My Dragon (Me and My Dragon, #1)
  • The Monstore
  • Magic Box: A Magical Story
  • The World is Waiting for You
  • Fraidyzoo
  • Louise Loves Art
  • Room for Bear
  • Peanut and Fifi Have a Ball
  • Going Places
  • How Do You Hug a Porcupine?