Start by marking “The Snatchabook” as Want to Read:
The Snatchabook

The Snatchabook

A brilliantly written, laugh-out-loud rhyming text about books and the joy of reading in the vein of New York Times bestsellers It's a Book, How Rocket Learned to Read, and Dog Loves Books.

Where have all the bedtime stories gone?

One dark, dark night in Burrow Down, a rabbit named Eliza Brown found a book and settled down...when a Snatchabook flew into town.

It's bedtime in
Published October 1st 2013 by Sourcebooks Jabberwocky (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Snatchabook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Snatchabook

Feb 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books

The Snatchabook is a pure joy to read! Especially out loud. The words and lines rolled off my tongue. Rhyming lines that moved and flowed creating a magical storyland filled with cute critters, mystery, and the love of reading.

Books are disappearing from all over Burrow Down. Our hero, Eliza Brown, is determined to solve the crime and capture the book thief red handed!

”Eliza saw a shadow loom,
enormous – right across her room.
What kind of monster could it be?
Eliza thought: You don’t scare me!
And
Barbara
The story of how all the books in Burrow Down start disappearing is told in rhyming text. Eliza Brown, a rabbit, solves the mystery, and finds a way to make the Snatchabook and all the book owners happy. I have to say that this might be my worst possible nightmare--to have someone or something take my book away before I finished reading it. With colorful illustrations and an appealing heroine who also happens to love reading and sharing books with others, this picture book is sure to appeal to r ...more
Shiloah
Sep 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
“He looked so sad. If he just had a mom or dad to read him stories every night—well, then he might behave alright!”
Jenni
Jul 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Originally posted on my blog: http://bookandbabes.blogspot.com/2013...

I received this ARC from Sourcebooks at ALA Annual 2013
------

Oh my goodness! This book is one of my favorites, and I am already reading it often to Taylor. The story is quite simple, and very cute. Everyone's bedtime books are being stolen in the blink of an eye, and Eliza wants to stop it from going on. When she finds out why the books are being stolen by the Snatchabook, she befriends the creature. All books are returned and
Chelsea
Aug 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Books are being snatched! Who's snatching the books? What are the residents to do?! All is told in this wonderfully unique tale of a misunderstood creature that only wants to enjoy the stories of the books they are snatching like everyone else. I have not come across any other story such as this and I have thoroughly enjoyed reading it and reading it during story times. This book keeps the kiddos guessing and teaches the reader (or listener) that it isn't okay to steal things but it is okay to m ...more
Molly
Poor little Snatchabook has no one to read him stories, so he sets out on a quest to amass his own collection - by thieving tomes from all the animals around. Fortunately, a kindly rabbit steps in to solve the mystery and finds a solution to everyone's problems.

STORIES ARE IMPORTANT, YO.
Kristen Dutkiewicz
Oct 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
All the books are disappearing and there's only one creature to blame - the snatchabook! A funny and entertaining story to read aloud to the little ones!
Darinda
Sep 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The books in Burrow Down start disappearing at bedtime. No worries, the rabbit is on the mystery. This was a fun, rhyming picture book.
Kalee Stegehuis
May 31, 2014 rated it liked it
This Review originally published at http://rawrisforreading.wordpress.com...

The Snatchabook is good for a quick bedtime read, and then pass it along to another friend or family to enjoy. The story is entertaining, but lacks a true hook.

The cover is appealing as it looks like a feel-good adventure story. The artwork is colorful and textured, and while the cover image is of rabbit reading to the snatchabook, the book title displays a classic adventure-style font that slightly juxtaposes the warm,
Storywraps
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This adorable little rhyming fable is sure to become a classic and I would vote a hearty "yes" to have that happen. The setting is in a sleepy, lazy little nook, named Burrow Down. All different types of critters live there and they all love to read. When the lights dim at night all the mom's and dad's tuck their little ones in with a good night bedtime story. If you could peek into all their cozy homes you would find parents reading aloud and the kids wide-eyed with their ears tuned into every ...more
Kristi Betts
Jul 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Children, Parents, and Librarians
Recommended to Kristi by: Walter L. Betts
The Snatchabook by Helen Docherty and illustrated by Thomas Docherty has instantly become one of my favorite books. Not only because it centers around a mystery and reading, but because it is also about parents reading to their children! I love a great mystery and when books start disappearing all around the forest. Eliza Brown (a little brown rabbit) decides she is going to solve the mystery by setting a trap for the storybook thief.

Eliza is successful in not only catching the thief, but also h
Brittney Lara
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wow-books
The Snatchabook is hands down one of the best rhyming stories I have read aside from Dr.Seuss. This is saying a lot for me, because I am obsessed with his work. This book however blew me away, the words seemed to jump right off the page. I read it alone three times before even sharing with my class. I was so excited to share it with them that they were about to jump out of their pants waiting for me to begin. The illustrations alone speak for themselves and even doing a picture walk with this bo ...more
Mehsi
Read in Dutch, but will write review in English, because everyone should read this book and the book's language is originally English. So everyone can read it. :)

This book was adorable. I loved our main character who is a bunny and who loves reading a lot. Well, she is not alone though, everyone in the town (if that is what you want to call it) loves reading. Then one day books get stolen, poof! I loved how it was done and how we saw the effects. Children crying (they wanted their bedtime storie
Henrietta
Sep 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What will you do when you can no longer find your favorite books at their usual locations in your home?

That’s the problem the animals in the woods of Burrow Down have to face. Books are mysteriously disappearing and no one knows why such absurd thing is happening! Eliza wants to do something about the situation and she refuses to go to bed until she gets this mystery resolved. Can she find out what’s really going on?

I absolutely adored the story! The words rhymed beautifully and it’s hard to res
Crystal Bandel
Dec 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The Snatchabook by Helen Docherty, illustrated by Thomas Docherty, published 2013.

Magic realism.

Picture book.

Pre-K to grade 1.

Found via School Library Journal, reviewed by Brooke Rasche.

In Burrow Down, books are disappearing from children's rooms every night. Eliza decides to catch the Snatchabook in the act and creates a trap with a tall pile of books--once she discovers the Snatchabook, Eliza figures out how to return the books to the children and keep the lonely Snatchabook, who just loves bo
Ruth
Oct 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
Teaches the very important lesson that it's rude to steal other peoples' books. Especially when they are reading them.

I don't think my siblings and I ever learned this lesson. That's why we always read multiple books at the same time, so if one of us wandered off with one of the books, we always had something else to fall back on.

Cute illustrations and fun rhyming text. Seeing all the different animals in their dens and burrows having bedtime stories was very cute.
Heidi-Marie
The rhyming works in this, and the illustrations are adorable. The ending is cute, too. Definitely will read in storytime. A good read-alone and very good lap-read (especially at bedtime).

1/7/15 Used in Books & Libraries theme. Such an adorable book. Definitely held interest.

6/13/18 Used in R theme. Meant for reading, but one of my former regulars returning for the summer break picked up Rabbit, too. Clever guy!
Nov 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing
The Snatchabook is such an adorable tale that showcases how important books are. It takes place in a quaint, little burrow full of sweet animals reading to their children. Unfortunately, their storybooks begin to go missing- and so the story ensues. Snatchabook not only encourages children to read, but parents and guardians to read with their children. It is a wonderful tale to read with the entire family.
Margie
Oct 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
What would happen at bedtime if all the storybooks were stolen? One feisty bunny decides to get to the bottom of this woodland mystery. Helen Docherty and her husband Thomas Docherty team to create an absolutely charming tale about books, reading and bedtime rituals.

My full review: http://bit.ly/18sgANy
momma.hailey
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amy (Other Amy)
Beautiful illustrations and the rhyme scheme is very good (one or two hitches; note that I was reading quickly). Not sure why no insta-love from me, exactly. (I would buy it if kids' books weren't so dad-blammed expensive these days.)
Rachel Watkins
Jul 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arc, picture-book
I loved this sweet book with its rhyming and lovely detailed illustrations. This is another in the new crop of perfect nighttime going-to-bed books to read with children ages three to seven. I can not recommend this enough. Parents, grandparents, and children will love this!
Dolly
Jun 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an entertaining bedtime story. The rhyming narrative is fun to read aloud and the illustrations are colorful and cartoonish. We enjoyed reading this book together.
Dana
May 23, 2013 rated it it was amazing
One of the best children's books I've ever read. I love this book!
Sara
Jan 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Reading this in the library next week. It is on our state award list. I cannot think of a more appropriate book to start off 2015. Great message about the importance of reading!
Hapzydeco
Jun 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great storybook to read aloud to a child. Beautiful art (amazing illustrations), great storylines and charming writing make for a winner.
Rebecka
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Such a sweet children's book about the love for stories.
Sunah Chung
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
One night, books disappeared mysteriously in Burrow Down. Animal families were confused and wondered who this mysterious book thief was. Eliza Brown, a rabbit in Burrow Down, came up with an idea to catch the book thief. Snatchabook, the book thief, acknowledged that stealing books was wrong, but he did it because he had no one to read a book to him. With the help of Eliza Brown, Snatchabook returned the stolen books to each house. In the end, Snatchabook was invited to a house where an adult an ...more
Lyndsey Cavola
Apr 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reading-572
This is a cute mystery story for younger readers. The bedtime stories in town are going missing! No one can figure out what is happening to the books until a little bunny, Eliza, takes the case. She stays up all night and finally catches the creature that has been stealing the books. The snachabook creature had no one to read him bedtime stories so he started stealing them. Eliza encourages the little snachabook to right his wrongs by returning the books and invites him to listen in to all the b ...more
Cathy
Jan 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Cathy by: California Young Reader nominee 2018

Where have all the bedtime stories gone?

It's bedtime in the woods of Burrow Down, and all the animals are ready for their bedtime story. But books are mysteriously disappearing. Eli

• The Story of Fish and Snail
  • Books Always Everywhere
  • Xander's Panda Party
  • Bear and Bee
  • Oliver and His Alligator
  • Warning: Do Not Open This Book!
  • Have You Seen My New Blue Socks?
  • Tea Party Rules