Start by marking “The Plot That Thickened” as Want to Read:
The Plot That Thickened

The Plot That Thickened (The Drones Club)

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  642 Ratings  ·  69 Reviews
This title written to celebrate the author's ninety-first birthday - a flawless piece of classic comic writing. What happened to Monty Bodkin's love for Hockey International Gertrude Butterwick? His year in Hollywood completed, he leaves behind his heartbroken secretary, Sandy Miller, and arrives in London to claim his Amazon's hand. However, the Bodkin road to happiness i ...more
Published by Simon & Schuster (first published January 1st 1972)

To ask other readers questions about The Plot That Thickened, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Cyndi
May 24, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the P.G. Wodehouse books! They are always funny. The dialogue is in 1920's slang which is hilarious!
In this story Monty Bodkin wants to marry the hockey player. Her father is against it because he thinks Monty is shiftless. Rich and useless. So he tells Monty that if he wants to marry his daughter he has to hold a job for a year. So, Monty gets a job in Hollywood working on motion pictures.
There he meets Sandy Miller. She falls in love with him and works her magic until he finally see
Dan Schwent
Feb 14, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
Pearls, Girls and Monty Bodkin picks up one year after the events of Luck of the Bodkins. Monty finishes his year at Llewellyn studios, oblivious to the fact that his secretary is in love with him, only to find out that J.D. Butterwick says his year of employment doesn't count adn he'll have to work another year to earn the lady Butterwick's hand. Fortunately, Sandy, his secretary, follows him to England while working for Llewellyn's wife Grayce and gets Monty hired on as a secretary.

Throw in a
QNPoohBear
In this final volume about Monty Bodkin, we find the hero ready to give the ol' heave-ho to his job in Hollywood so he can return home to marry Gertrude Butterwick. Not so fast! J.G. Butterwick, Gertrude's domineering father, is loathe to have his daughter marry a waster like Barney, so he finds a loophole in his plan. Monty did not obtain his employment in Hollywood honestly so he must find a new job for at least a year before he marries Gertrude. Enter Sandy Miller, a Hollywood secretary who i ...more
Tony
PEARLS, GIRLS & MONTY BODKIN. (1972). P. G. Wodehouse. ***.
This is another novel of ‘love conquers all’ by this comic author – although there is a lot of conquering to do before the story is over. Locked into a promise to marry Gertrude, our hero cannot honorably back out: It’s not the thing to do. He realizes, too late, that he is probably in love with his secretary, Sandy, but what’s a man to do. The plot gets confusedly complicated – as do most of Wodehouse’s stories – before somehow thin
Jonathan
Sep 22, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is Wodehouse doing what he does best: gleefully extracting humor from the increasingly desparate actions of dysfunctional characters caught in a complex net of romantic relationships, petty grudges, and the like.

In this case they're competing for a bunch of pearls, but in the last Wodehouse book I read, it was cow-creamer. It really doesn't matter because Wodehouse is so much fun to read that the plot itself is somehow of secondary importance.

Best of all, the opening page contains the fol
Leslie
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, audiobooks
I very much enjoyed this late Wodehouse novel, enhanced by Jonathan Cecil's brilliant narration. I was a tiny bit worried that this book, first published in 1972 when Wodehouse was 90, would be lacking some of the sparkle and wit I love so much in the Bertie & Jeeves books. However, while certain elements were familiar, the characters and dialogue were top-notch (and even at his best there was some repetition: Bertie would get embroiled with situation, Jeeves would come up with a scheme whic ...more
R.
Mar 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
Casual Notes...

(U.S. title: The Plot that Thickened)

This is the third in the Bodkin-Butterwick saga (see also: Heavy Weather and Luck of the Bodkins). Seriously. Treat yourself.

This sequel is rendered a mite strange because one year has passed in the Wodehouse Universe but, upon examining the RealTimeStamp betwixt Luck and Plot, 35+ years have frittered away.

Example par excellence: talkies were new in Luck, and television is a green G-O ho-hum in Plot.

But I suppose we can say, time is relative
Hirondelle
The first Bodkins solo book was published around in 1935, prime Wodehouse period. This direct sequel was published in 1972, 37 years later. Now that is some wait for a sequel.

I do not like Wodehouse post-WW2 novels (apart from a couple of exceptions, all Blandings) as much as his pre-WW2 novels. Something is gone, if only some sort of spirit. Here is prime example of something missing, particularly when directly compared to Luck of the Bodkins, some extravagance, some something.

Even by Wodehous
Himi
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
This is the second in the Monty Bodkin series. I enjoyed it, but The Luck of the Bodkins was better. I wanted to move on to Bachelors Anonymous, which is the last book, but it isn’t yet available as an audiobook.
Emily
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
This is a smashing way to start the spring: a crisply-written comedy by one of the greatest. Many authors of books that suffer from bloat would learn a lot from reading this. Not one word is wasted, not one plot is unconnected, and everything has a resolution.
Barakiel
Jul 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour
More in line with typical Wodehouse humor. Love-triangles or -quadrangles, stuffy rich people, Americans and Brits thrown together, burglars and swindlers and of course a comedy of errors.
It reminded me a bit of Stiff upper lip, Jeeves. A lot of people in one house and chaos ensues.

Worth a read if you like Wodehouse's sense of humour and approach to romance.
Luann
This was a fun romp, with plenty of the typical PG Wodehouse characters and plot twists. Plum's way with words is second to none. I thoroughly enjoyed reading this.
Varad
Feb 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of the last books Wodehouse wrote (it was published in 1972), but it was the first one I read. So perhaps I came into Wodehouse backwards, beginning with a late, minor novel intstead of an earlier featuring famous characters such as Jeeves and Wooster.

On the back cover the book is described as "a gentle comic romp." That's about right. I'd describe it as the novel equivalent of a screwball comedy. It has all the trappings of one: rich people behaving slightly naughtily, romantic mi
Ben Brackett
Jan 07, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As always, a pleasure to read an author that is peerless in his wordplay.
Katherine
Apr 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: humor, fiction
“Mr. Llewellyn’s vocal delivery had been that of a turtledove accosting another turtledove of whom it was particularly fond…” (39).
“It was simply the thought that such a sound breaking the quiet hush of a house which had turned in for the night might cause comment that restrained the junior partners in the proposed enterprise from howling like indignant timber wolves” (64).
“He had no objection to Mr. Llewellyn describing spades as spades, but he keenly resented his reference to Gertrude Butterwi
Ian Wood
Jun 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
‘Pears, Girls and Monty Bodkin’ continues one year after the business in ‘The Luck of the Bodkins’ concluded and it tells the continuing story of Monty Bodkin and his engagement to Gertrude Butterwick which relies on his remaining in someone’s employ for a whole year. Monty secured a position with movie mogul Ikey Llewellyn after unwittingly smuggling some jewels for his wife Grayce. Gertrude’s father, J. P. Butterwick has decided to consider the evidence of employment inadmissible due to the wa ...more
Faith Justice
Classic Wodehouse: strong women, clueless men, misplaced trust, star-crossed love, mayhem and happy endings. Whenever I need a laugh, I pick up a Wodehouse.
Manuel Alfonseca
In a show of writing ability, Wodehouse wrote this third novel in the Monty Bodkin series 37 years after the second, when he was 90 years old. The novel starts where the previous one left, with Monty still trying to prove himself against the mistrust of the father of his betrothed, Gertrude Butterwick.
There is a mistake. however. In those 37 years, Wodehouse seems to have forgotten that his hero was a nephew of Sir Gregory Parsloe-Parsloe, Baronet. In chapter two, to Sandy Miller's question on w
Ian
Dec 22, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My first Wodehouse, revisited after 30 years. Another excellent story of rich Americans in an English stately home, with the familiar refrain of the criminal classes (the Molloys and Chimp Twist) competing to see who can steal a priceless string of pearls, which of course turn out to be fake anyway, while the hero finds true love and tries to extricate himself from his rocky engagement to a hockey international. Features the movie studio boss Ivor Lewellyn with an abrupt change of character, now ...more
Paula
Feb 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wodehouse always makes me laugh. This book was published in 1971, definitely one of his later books, but with the exception of some mild language (the first time I can remember reading a curse in a Wodehouse book) and references to electric guitars and television commercials, this story could have been set in the usual between-the-wars Wodehouse world of country houses and gentlemen's clubs. One of the main characters is the owner of a movie studio, and I enjoyed the filmmaking and film history ...more
Carol
Sep 02, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
"He was overcome by the poignancy of the situation. Here was a girl who frankly admitted that in her opinion he was Prince Charming galloping up on his white horse and would have liked nothing better than to be folded in his embrace and hugged till her ribs squeaked, and here was he all eagerness to the folding and hugging, and no chance of business resulting because the honor of the Bodkins said it mustn't. Beat that for irony, he thought as he rubbed his shin. It was the sort of thing Thomas H ...more
Mark Nenadov
Measured on a scale of sheer humor, this may not be one of Wodehouse's best works. There is good humor here and a good sized dash of Wodehouse's typical genius, but the main selling point on this book is the delightful way the plot thickens and complicates towards the end. I've read lots of P.G. Wodehouse books, but this is the first one I've tackled in quite a while. It wouldn't necessarily be my first recommendation, but it was enjoyable!
Diskojoe
This book was starting to show the age of its author a bit, w/its awkward attempts to set the story in the present (early 1970s), which was definitely not a Plum Age. However, it's the continuing word play & turn of phrase that Wodehouse excelled in, even near the end of his long life, that makes this book a good light read.
Caroline
Jan 07, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I love PG Wodehouse! I read dozens of his books in my twenties and it was wonderful to return to him 20 years later and still laugh out loud. His use of language and imagery is so clever, I wanted to share the best lines with other people, but since I was on my own, I just repeated them to myself. A real joy!
Jeff Short
Jan 26, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
Aptly titled. I didn't find Monty Bodkin the most sympathetic of Wodehouse characters, but it was still a fun read. It won't stand up to the best of the Jeeves books. The ending seemed abrupt and little anticlimactic. There were certainly a few good twists and, as always, some great turns of phrase.
Vikram
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
P.G.Wodehouse is arguably one of the top exponents of that genre known as SitCom or Situational Comedy. He has his own inimitable style. This one was written to celebrate his ninety-first birthday - a flawless piece of classic comic writing. Monty Bodkin's love for Gertrude Butterwick leads him into trouble...
Usfromdk
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The plot is not actually anything special, but this book is so chock–full of wonderful imagery, colorful play with language and hilarious side-notes that you repeatedly find yourself smiling, if not laughing, while reading it. A wonderful read.
Melissa
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction, favorites
One of my all time favorite descriptive paragraphs is in this book. How the protagonist falls in love as he watches his secretary lift the garbage can of glass bottles to hit the constable in the head (thus saving his skin). It's really great.
Richard
Dec 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Three stars, I should note, as far as Wodehouse novels are concerned. Which puts it heads and tails above most stories.

I am, however, saddened by how it detracts from my affection for its predecessor, 'the luck of the bodkins'.
John
Nov 22, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rather samey but it was written fairly late in his career. brings the adventures of M. Bodkin to a suitable close though its remarkable (given the earlier stuff) how quickly Gertrude goes out of favour
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Growing Up
  • Lucia Rising
  • Highland Fling
  • William the Bad (Just William, #11)
  • P. G. Wodehouse: A Biography
  • The Key (Miss Silver, #8)
  • Pigeons from Hell
  • The definitive biography of P.D.Q. Bach (1807-1742)?
  • Doctor Who: The Time Meddler
  • Mr. Blandings Builds His Dream House
  • The Golden Spur
  • Three Singles to Adventure
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

The Drones Club (7 books)
  • Mr. Mulliner Speaking
  • Young Men in Spats
  • Lord Emsworth and Others (Blandings Castle, #5.5)
  • Eggs, Beans And Crumpets
  • Nothing Serious (Blandings Castle, #7.5)
  • A Few Quick Ones (Jeeves, #11.5)
  • Plum Pie (Jeeves, #13.5)

“A girl who bonnets a policeman with an ashcan full of bottles is obviously good wife-and-mother timber.” 27 likes