Start by marking “Dead Heat (The Last Jihad, #5)” as Want to Read:
Dead Heat (The Last Jihad, #5)

Dead Heat

(The Last Jihad #5)

Published March 18th 2008 by Tyndale House Publishers

To ask other readers questions about Dead Heat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Heat

John Abela
Mar 28, 2013 rated it did not like it
A terrible finish to a truly great series!

What was one of the best series out there turned into a flop of a final book to this series.

While I am not against the Christian message, to turn one of the very best dead-on series of todays world into a book I would have expected to be written by Billy Graham himself, was a huge disappointment.

I found myself turn page-after-page-after-page without doing anything but glancing to see if the religious hodgepodge had stopped.

The way this ended ranked up th
Tiffany
Aug 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Absolutely everyone!
I cannot recommend strongly enough the reading of this series of books, starting with "The Last Jihad" and ending with "Dead Heat". Especially during this critical time in world politics. Amazing, fascinating, insightful, and frightening are just a few of the words I would choose to describe these books.

"Dead Heat", in just the first chapters, opens with the nuclear bombing and annihilation of four major US cities: Washington DC, New York, Seattle, and Los Angeles where the GOP convention is jus
Bear
Apr 09, 2008 rated it really liked it
Was asked to review this book by my Jewish friend at work (Refers to me as an "honorary Heeb"... quite a decent title for me). A book based on current world events; a bit evangelical for my tastes, but (1) Plausible and (2) well thought out. A lot of details are poor (refers to fighters climbing at 65K feet a second; even missiles can't do that) but the overall result is a potential scenario on how the second coming of Jesus could conceivably start. Not too shabby; looking at his list of availab ...more
Don
Aug 23, 2012 rated it it was ok
I've enjoyed several of Rosenberg's book, but this one is far too "preachy" and too consumed with biblical prophecy of end times events occurring. Also The Last Jihad, The Last Days, The Ezekiel Option, and The Copper Scroll were chiefly concerned with Jon Bennett and Erin McCoy and their Bourne-like political intrigue and willed with action. Not Dead Heat. Bennett and McCoy are almost minor characters in this last book of the series. In my opinion, it was a disappointing end.

I've also read Ros
Louis
Jun 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The last book of "The Last Jihad" series, it was the most riveting one yet. It grips you from the very first page, and take you down paths with twists and turns that you never see coming. The good guys don't always win. Rosenberg seems almost prophetic in his storytelling, which ties in so closely to modern day political events that you can see his story actually happening in the real world. Indeed, some of it has. A brilliantly written book that is near impossible to put down once you start.
Jerry
Jul 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Here is my review of the entire series:

Ed
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the last book of this exciting thriller. There is much sadness in this book, but at the end there is victory. I believe that some people read this book without reading all of the previous books. I believe this causes a low rating, because each book depends on what was written beforehand. If I just read this book without the previous books, I would also give it a lower rating.
Dominique
Feb 10, 2011 rated it liked it
Again, a great story line but way too much Bible thumping. I was ready to throw the book out the window several times. The saving grace for me was the ending. It actually brought me to tears and really touched me deeply.

This series could have been a 4 or 5 star series if the Christian life and belief system was portrayed in a manner that was more believable and more ... real.

For instance, in one chapter, John Bennett is visiting Mordecia and just stops the conversation and prays. It was odd in h
J.T. IV
Jul 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: action
The last installment by Mr. Rosenberg in The Last Jihad series and he does not disappoint. Although I will tell you the ending may leave you feeling like the carpet has been pulled out from under you a little bit. He does leave the door open for more, which I sincerely hope he will write in this series. At any rate, it is a race to the end following Jon and Erin Bennett and their service and trials across the world, while the globe seems to be coming unglued. Yet again, Mr. Rosenberg creates a s ...more
Conrad
Mar 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to this as an abridged audiobook while on a road trip. I thought it was going to be a political thriller, but it turned out to be another Dispensational Pre-Tribulation rapture novel of the Tim LaHaye (Left Behind series) and Oliver North variety. A clumsy and heavy-handed approach to sharing the Gospel message using scare tactics. Just goes to show that you can't judge a book by its cover.
Marilyn Roggenkamp
Feb 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great insight on Palestinian conflict and God's plan for Israel.
Jerome
Jun 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Creepy and gripping.
The description of the shoot down of the Air Force spy plane was full of errors. A 707 flying at 49,000 feet? Impossible. A Mig 29 climbing at 65,000 feet per SECOND? Ridiculous.
Bob Mask
Nov 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
Cortez III
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
'Horrifying Suspense'-Book Review of DEAD HEAT

Whew! Joel C. Rosenberg's political thriller, Dead Heat, shakes, rattles and rolls the world of the book and the reader, who invests time in its harrowing events.

Book #5 in The Last Jihad Series, I'm behind in reading about the terrifying tales of the Earth's last days before Armageddon in the first four novels. After a brief buildup, Rosenberg jumps right in with the United States under nuclear attack from an undisclosed enemy that decimate several
Sandy
Jan 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: war, fiction
For Jon and Erin Bennett, the world seems to be spinning dangerously out of control. A new dictator is rising in Iraq. China is making threatening new moves toward Taiwan. North Korean forces appear ready to strike south. Israel is feverishly trying to complete the Third Temple. Oil prices are surging. And in the wake of an horrific war in the Middle East, President James MacPherson's second term is coming to an end. Now the battle to succeed him is heating up into one of the most fiercely conte ...more
Brad Carlson
Jun 02, 2018 rated it liked it
This is the last of the Jon and Erin Bennett series and, unlike the rest in the series, the Bennetts are relatively minor characters in this book. I was disappointed in this: there was a lot of repetition from previous books in the series, the Bennetts' role was greatly diminished and, to me, this lacked the sense of realism that the rest of the books in the series had and the basis for which much of the series is based upon. The plot, to me, was simply too ambitious and not enough time was spen ...more
Donald
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I should've ended this series with 'The Copper Scroll'; thankfully I was able to check-this-out of my local library. Everyone who contributed to the 'BIG picture' of God's plan for bringing creation and man back to Himself in 'The Last Jihad' is 'taken-out' in this finale. The main 'evil doers and power mongers' bent on eliminating Israel from the face of the earth are 'waiting for their judgment', but aren't too terribly worried about it. My heros include Dr. Mordecai and Erin Bennett; Jon was ...more
sharon duthie
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series so am sad it’s finished but a realistic ending.

Excellent book!! Sad the series had to finish though. I really feel he could have written a final novel showing how it may be after the rapture. This seemed to go so fast and not involve the depth of the main characters we are used to but a good book to share with someone who does not know how important it is we get our lives right with Christ. An eye opener too as to what really could happen in the not too distant future.
Elijah Abanto
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Lord, forgive me if it seems that I forget that you are coming back soon. But I know, deep within my heart, that you are coming again, and in light of that I must live a spotless life. Jesus, empower me. Enable me to live in light of eternity, so I will not be ashamed of myself when one of these days you'll return and take me home. And thank you for using Rosenberg's book to remind of these things.
Zac Brodrick
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
I am a Christian... and feel strongly about Christian things and helping people come unto Christ. I also like reading spy books... the previous 4 books in this series found a good balance between these two subjects... this, in my thoughts, did not. It felt forced. It felt like the author was just trying to complete the series. I’m glad I read the entire series... but this was like watching the last Seinfeld... a complete let down after an otherwise solid series.
Kevin Charman
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting read based on things that have been happening in the past few years politically and globally. Thriller genre with nothing seeming to go the way of the main characters who go from one crisis to the next with no obvious way out until the almost unthinkable happens. Not that I would agree with the interpretation but definitely one to provoke some thought and endless discussion.
Greer Andjanetta
May 21, 2017 rated it liked it
A very mixed-up book with equal parts of religion dogma and nuclear war. The USA is attacked with nuclear bombs, the president, his successor and HIS successor are killed and so are most of the main characters. Some of the descriptions of the chaos that results from the attacks are interesting but mostly this is a book to be ignored.
Jack Zhong
Disappointed, don’t see why it was a bestseller, the book seemed to be done by some manic. The author wants to spread the love of God, but he made the belief in God too convenient, characters jumped to big fans of God really too soon to be convincing. In the end, God made people disappeared, what a crap.
Ashley McCabe
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone needs to read this series!!!

Well written author with real world issues. Must read for all!!! A small way for you to understand our world. Please do before it's too late!!!
Scott
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Final chapter finished strong

As with the other entries in the series this one delivers, riveting from the start and continues to remind the readers of our need for a Savior and how to find that Savior in Jesus Christ.
Nash
Dec 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Repeatitive at some points, a bit preachy-tho' any devout christian will understand why. Generally i expected better, felt abit rushed. It's good still, the massage of God and his word coming through clearly:-)
Christianne
Feb 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just possible enough to make you consider...

Once again, I am enthralled with this author's story. I love the way he weaves scripture throughout his novels helping me picture modern applications. Can't wait for the next series!
Armando  Escajeda
May 12, 2018 rated it liked it
The last few chapters is not what I expected. It comes depressing and sad. Not what I expected.
Steve Anderson
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
C'mon man.
Janet Cline
Dec 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I highly recommend this series!
Alta Canyon Book ...: Nov. Book 1 1 Nov 13, 2013 06:42PM
disappointing 3 21 Aug 09, 2012 09:17PM
  • Dominion (Ollie Chandler #2)
  • The Europa Conspiracy (Babylon Rising, #3)
  • Shadowed: The Final Judgment (Underground Zealot, #3)
  • Rare Earth (Marc Royce #2)
  • Winner Take All
  • Life Support (Santee, #1)
  • Fifth Seal (A.D. Chronicles #5)
  • Deadfall (John Hutchinson, #1)
  • First the Dead (Bug Man Series #3)
  • Night Light (Restoration #2)
Note: This is a different person than the fantasy author, Joel Rosenberg

Joel C. Rosenberg is the founder of The Joshua Fund and the New York Times best-selling author of THE LAST JIHAD (2002), THE LAST DAYS (2003), THE EZEKIEL OPTION (2005), THE COPPER SCROLL (2006), EPICENTER (2006) and DEAD HEAT (2008) with m

The Last Jihad (5 books)
  • The Last Jihad (The Last Jihad, #1)
  • The Last Days (The Last Jihad, #2)
  • The Ezekiel Option (The Last Jihad, #3)
  • The Copper Scroll (The Last Jihad, #4)
“To misunderstand the nature and threat of evil is to risk being blindsided by it,” 3 likes
“Jesus said, ‘I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.” 2 likes