Start by marking “Holy Luck” as Want to Read:
Holy Luck

Holy Luck

Throughout his many years of pastoral ministry, almost everything Eugene Peterson has done -- preaching, teaching, praying, counseling, writing -- has involved words. To keep himself attuned to the power of words and to help himself use language with precision and imagination, Peterson both reads and writes poetry.

Holy Luck presents, in one luminous volume, seventy poems b
Published October 10th 2013 by Eerdmans (first published May 2nd 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Holy Luck, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Holy Luck

Marie Willingham
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The lovely thing about poetry books is you've never really finished with them. One to ponder and savour over and over again
Anita
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The poems link the spiritual with the natural. I would say that one need not be a believer in God to find truth in these words. I loved several of them that resonated with my own experience or desires. Others, as is usual with poetry, went right over my head. I bought, rather than borrowed, this book because it is beauty that I want on hand.
Thomas
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
I am by no means a connoisseur of poetry, but I'm a huge fan of Peterson, and this little book is beautiful from start to finish.
Roy Howard
Dec 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Eugene Peterson has had an enormous influence on pastors through his several books of theological reflection on pastoral practices and biblical commentaries. His widest influence though is likely with his popular version of the Bible - The Message. It is not a surprise that he is a poet or that his poems come from a deep listening to scripture. Peterson doesn't only listen well; he listens with a fertile imagination able to take a single line into a reflection on the universal. For instance, Pet ...more
Benjamin Vineyard
Sep 25, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
I picked up Peterson's poems with hopes to read poems set to the rhythm of spirituality and faith, words that send the soul into the depths of thought or prayer instead of deadened by cliche. I once read that such a thing, poems on faith, couldn't be done well - that the language so often associated with faith in the West was laden with cliche. Peterson, with this thought in my mind, comes at the task with a scythe, clearing the path.

In all, I felt Peterson's work was the best I've read on this
Farzana Marie
Nov 17, 2014 rated it really liked it
This refreshing book of poems contains many stunning details and memorable moments, as in these lines from "The Lucky Sad:"
"...Under
The Mercy every hurt is a fossil
Link in that great chain of becoming.
Pick and shovel prayers often
Turn them up in valleys of death." (p. 5)

Some of the poems don't reach their full potential, as they are either unimaginatively titled (mostly the one-word titles in Part II) or recycle certain tired wording and tropes that on the whole Eugene Peterson is very success
Jason Leonard
Dec 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Wonderful. When I read poetry, I expect that only a portion of it will resonate. Expecting to ring with half of the poems in any collection is too ambitious for me, but once I reached the halfway mark of this book, I anticipated wonder on the next page. I began to look for signs of life and a wiser, kindred spirit to shine a light for me. I laughed a fair amount and wept more than I deserve. This is wonderful poetry and borne of an abundant life. And don't skip the preface, it is piercing and be ...more
Tamara Murphy
Feb 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Ever since Brian and I heard Pastor Peterson speak in 2008 during a symposium, we have reclaimed the word "luck" as another way to say "We are surprisingly blessed, indeed!" This small book of poetry reminds me that this man wrote the Message translation of the Bible. And he knows he is a lucky man, indeed.
Gloria
Oct 21, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
Eugene Peterson's poetry is gentle and reflective. Here he presents a Bible verse with each poem to indicate where his inspiration was drawn from. The poems are rather brief, yet reflect the human experience and nature simply and poignantly.
David Pierce
Anything Eugene Peterson writes, I want to read. I am drawn to his command of words. This book is no exception to the rule. I want to read what Eugene Peterson writes.
Alex Stroshine
Oct 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Good, despite being mostly blank verse.
Monica Snyder
Dec 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful word art I will return to again and again.
Brandon
Sep 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Loved these short poems steeped in meditation on Scripture. Many were very thought provoking and some unraveled new layers of meditating on certain passages.
Joy Matteson
Dec 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A beautiful book of poems for those who don't read poems. Haunting, beautiful, and filled with Jesus.
Meghan Marek
Elle Berry
Nov 30, 2018
ED Feasey
Dec 31, 2018
Eugene H. Peterson was a pastor, scholar, author, and poet. For many years he was James M. Houston Professor of Spiritual Theology at Regent College in Vancouver, British Columbia. He also served as founding pastor of Christ Our King Presbyterian Church in Bel Air, Maryland. He had written over thirty books, including Gold Medallion Book Award winner The Message: The Bible in Contemporary Language ...more
“I do not have more information after reading a poem; I have more experience.” 0 likes
“The bawling of babies, always in a way
Inappropriate - why should the love and innocent
Greet existence with wails? - is proof that not all
Is well. Dreams and deliveries never quite mesh.”
0 likes