Start by marking “The Palace of Illusions” as Want to Read:
The Palace of Illusions

The Palace of Illusions

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  33,124 ratings  ·  3,470 reviews
A reimagining of the world-famous Indian epic, the Mahabharat—told from the point of view of an amazing woman.

Relevant to today’s war-torn world, The Palace of Illusions takes us back to a time that is half history, half myth, and wholly magical. Narrated by Panchaali, the wife of the legendary Pandavas brothers in the Mahabharat, the novel gives us a new interpretation of
Published February 12th 2008 by Doubleday

To ask other readers questions about The Palace of Illusions, please sign up.
Mansi There are actually two ways of dealing with such curiosities.
There are actually two ways of dealing with such curiosities.
One is by endlessly searching for facts trying to verify it and the problem with it is that we’re still not sure whether Mahabharata, or even Ramayana, really did ‘take place’ or not but that’s a whole other debate.
The other way is to treat it like literature is supposed to be treated. These epics were woven to inculcate values that the society lacked and it got modified according the need (different regions had different problems) So across India, you’ll find many versions of Mahabharata. No one version is ‘correct’ and you’ll find that no two versions are similar. ‘The Palace of Illusions’ is Chitra Banerjee’s version of it and in it Draupadi fancied Karna.
It’s different from the original but that’s the charm of literature. Different people derive different meanings from the same poem. So you could have your own version of ‘Romeo and Juliet’ with a happy ending. Granted, it completely modifies the original but it saves you from the heartache the tragedy delivers. ;)(less)
Sanjay That is correct, and there are many versions to this. One of them is that Drupada is outraged on hearing about their demise and goes to the sage who p…moreThat is correct, and there are many versions to this. One of them is that Drupada is outraged on hearing about their demise and goes to the sage who predicted that his daughter would marry Arjuna. The sage reassures him that his prediction would come true, and advises him to hold the swayamvara.
Another version says that Krishna goes to Drupada, hinting that Arjuna and the pandavas are still alive, and suggests that he have a test in the swayamvara that only an archer of the highest skill would be able to pass.
There may be other versions as well, and I'm not a master of this epic. So I suppose if you're in my place, just keep an open mind and enjoy reading.(less)

·  33,124 ratings  ·  3,470 reviews

Start your review of The Palace of Illusions
Aastha
Jan 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was intrigued as soon as I heard the plot of The Palace of Illusions, and I knew I was going to like it right away. I think Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni deserves three out of the five stars I gave her just for thinking of the idea itself. The Mahabharata has been part of India's ancient culture and history for the past 3000 years, and yet no one ever thought of narrating the epic from a different point of view.

Of course, I personally cheered at her choice of Draupadi as her narrator, having give
Em Lost In Books
Fascinating retelling of Mahabharata from Draupadi's PoV but I did not like the parts where author took the liberty about Draupadi and Karan to the point where she kept blaming herself most for what happened to him. It was OTT for me and kinda ruined the book for me.
Richard Derus
Oct 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This review has been revised and can now be found at Expendable Mudge Muses Aloud!

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Aditi
“A woman is not a touch but a response to it”

----Pratibha Ray

Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni, an Indian best selling novelist, has penned an extremely emotional and gripping mythological-cum-historical-fiction novel, The Palace of Illusions that narrates the great epic Indian mythological tale, Mahabharata from the point of view of the most brilliant and fearless female character, Draupadi, who weaves her thoroughly soul touching yet enduring life story starting from the day she was born to the day
mentalexotica
May 19, 2012 rated it it was ok
I don't know why I do this to myself. Why I bother with this author when book after book has been nothing but ... Wanting, for lack of a better word.

The Mahabharata is my favorite story of all time. It is every book in one book and to take on the task of retelling the story from the perspective of Draupadi is the literary equivalent of hitting a jackpot of an idea. But. Here comes Ms Bannerjee Divakaruni to ruin that wholly awesome party.

This book is shallow, trite and vapid. The protagonist,
Crystal
Jul 19, 2008 rated it liked it
Just a petty complaint:
I'm in the middle of this book and have a strong enough sense of the story to be able to make a heart felt plea: enough of the blatant foreshadowing! It's as if the author has no other creative or subtle use of language to hint at things to come. It always involves the last sentence of the chapter, starting with the end of Chapter 1, "I didn't know then how sorely that love would be tested, or how much it would cost both of us", "I didn't know that I'd never see this fragr
Vani
Jul 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
‘Palace of Illusions’ by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni had been on my TBR list for years, but honestly, I wasn’t sure it was for me. As I review it today, I have only myself to blame. I was totally swept over by Chitra’s prose, mesmerized by the conviction with which she writes the story of one of the most complex characters of Mahabharata, that too, in first person. Kudos to the author for successfully presenting a fast paced compendium of this epic Indian text, which as it happens, is also one of ...more
Sanjay
May 06, 2008 rated it it was ok
A retelling of the Mahabharata from Draupadi's point of view sounds like it has much potential -- but this attempt is let down by trying to encompass all of the epic, and bringing in the stories of almost all the characters, instead of staying faithful to Draupadi's (feminist) viewpoint. Making it a half-baked encapsulation, instead of a re-interpretation.
Manpreet Kaur
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
I am really happy I picked up this book.
I was truly bored of Mahabharata retellings and I never intended to read more of those.
I am glad I do for this book is a MUST READ.
Written from Draupadi's perspective, the book is just too good. Written beautifully with praiseworthy story telling, this book wouldn't disappoint you.
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Aug 10, 2020 rated it liked it
Chetana Thakur Chakraborty
'The Palace of Illusions' by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is really a book worth reading! I think its a must read for people who have an interest in the rich literary heritage of India. The author has beautifully summed up longest epic (Mahabharata) in around 360 pages. The story is narrated from the view point of a very important female character in Mahabharata, Panchali. This, I felt, is very unique. This book has added a very interesting touch to the epic.
The book begins with 'fire' and ends w
Swetha
Nov 21, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2k15
My memory often tends to fail me when it concerns my childhood but I distinctly remember illustrated Indian books, a splurge of my parents hoping it would instill many virtues, sprawled on my bed waiting to be read. With time, I started to develop an interest on my own towards works like the Panchatantra, Jataka Tales, Amar Chitra Katha, i.e., just about anything that had conversing animals or a touch of mythology in it. These books are unique in the fact that at the end of the story, they have ...more
Ashish Iyer
Mahabharat from a different perspective - that of Draupadi's. The woman's viewpoint makes it more interesting since we've hardly had such stories from a woman's perspective. However, i did not like the new angle depicted between karna and draupadi though, not even a bit

For someone who is looking for an introduction to the Epic its a strong NO, as the book is a huge & a bold deviation from the original.

Not Recommended.
Shravanthi
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How can you tell an ancient story in new light? And how can you tell it to a generation, who as children have literally grown up with this story, and as adults will have high expectations of it?

Chitra Bannerjee Divakaruni has the answer in The Palace of Illusions.

The story of Mahabharata is nothing new to me. A kingdom greater than any - cousins fighting for the throne - sacrifices, promises, boons, curses - war - bereavement - atonement. An epic. The Mahabharata is an elaborate story, which
Pooja Singh
Oct 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
"Love comes like lightning and disappears the same way. If you are lucky, it strikes you right. If not, you'll spend your life yearning for a man you cannot have."
- Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni
🌼
A novel take on the age-old saga of Mahabharata, narrated by Panchali or fondly known as Draupadi, this enchanting tale takes you to the beginning of her birth in the fire, to her earlier days in her father's palace, to her stint as a woman with five husbands.
🌼
We all are probably aware of the courses that M
Aakanksha
Jul 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Palace of Illusions by Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is based on Indian epic the Mahabharata which was written by sage Ved Vyasa. In this book, the story is narrated by Panchali's point of view. She is the daughter of the king Drupad, also known as Draupadi; wife of five Pandavas, and mistress of the breathtaking and stupendous palace.

Panchali was headstrong, but an egoistic and restless woman. Her harsh words lead to the end of an era, but it was entirely not her fault. She was just a pawn or
Nikhil
Jul 18, 2020 rated it really liked it
Quite refreshing.
Though, I didn't enjoy the Draupadi and Karan's angle. It was just not convincing enough. But then these were the thoughts of Draupadi according to the author and can't be questioned.
Another angle of Draupadi and Kunti was portrayed quite convincingly and the events totally justified Draupadi's thoughts for Kunti.
I was expecting more of Draupadi in this book but I guess the author has made an attempt to narrate the Mahabharat through the protagonist. The entire epic is covere
Em*bedded-in-books*
I am so so happy that I could read this book. I enjoyed every page of it. This is the story of Mahabharatha - not the full one, but a few incidents as seen through the eyes of Draupadi - the Pandava wife. This book will be best appreciated only by those who have a knowledge of the Mahabharatha - the vast Indian epic full of intrigue, mysteries, magic, politics, family obligations and the strife for attaining the Kuru throne by two set of cousins - the good Pandavas (5 brothers with one common wi ...more
Rebecca
A fantastic read. Except for that twist in Draupadi's love life it would have been perfect. The stories of Mahabharatha were a part of my growing up. But i had never paused to think about what the people involved really felt and thought. So it was a surprise to read about Draupadi's feelings in her own words. What did a woman who was born from fire think about herself. ? What did she feel when she knew that she would have to marry five men ? Thete were times when I found my heart racing like whe ...more
Kogiopsis
Sep 10, 2008 rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books ever, and I don't say that lightly.
Now, if only Mr. Wright had ever given my copy back! (Note: Never loan a book based on the Mahabhrata to your Asian Humanities teacher. You might as well have dropped it into a black hole.)

Anyhow I'm not really sure how to describe why I love this book so. The story is beautiful, that's a large part of it. The characters are strong and well-shaped, that's another part of it. The prose is gorgeous. The setting is truly magical. The trag
Lubinka Dimitrova
Beautifully written and captivating... And the stories... Ah, the stories... They reminded me of the reason I've always loved indian mythology. This was a really satisfying book.
Charu
Jun 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The book at its centre is Draupadi's version of Mahabharat. When I picked this book, I wasn’t too sure, if would relish a book on – battles, power-play, politics, adrenaline-filled glory and carnage. But the authoress had done a tremendous job of capturing the essence of the epic in the form of a story. The authoress had bereft the characters of divine, virtuous status and made them very real and human, which makes it very easy to follow, despite the complexities in the leading characters.

Talki
Monika
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
We are complex, so are our lives. How can it be, as Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie rightly pointed out, that our stories are not a compilation of heterogeneous narratives? Our narratives are lessons for us to surmise on the basic effervescence of our lives. Why discard them as illogical and barren in modern times? The Palace of Illusions paints the other side of a story. Contrary to the prevailed portraiture of Panchaali as a victimized women, this saga establishes her as a fierce and rebellious perso ...more
Anu
Mar 26, 2008 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: fans of indian mythology, anyone
Shelves: finished
I think Divakurani's short stories are genius-but she ought to lay off the novels. The book wasn't terrible, but there were some ATROCIOUS anachronisms sprinkled throughout and the heavy handed feminism was a bit much. It definitely gained in narrative voice as the plot progressed.

Interesting read, but wait for the paperback, or get it out of the library.
Pooja
May 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
After what seems like an eternity, reading a book gave me simple and absolute pleasure and with every turn of a page, my excitement only kept growing. What is interesting is that, almost every Hindu has been told this story throughout their life in bits and pieces. Another book based on the same story simply should not be this engaging.

Mahabharata is the story of the rivalry between brothers Pandavas and Kauravas and the dire consequences that rivalry leads to. Usually, it is narrated in third p
Rosamund Hodge
Oct 01, 2012 added it
Shelves: 2012
This novel ended up reminding me a bit of Till We Have Faces: the basic plot is "mythological woman has passionate, interesting life, eventually finds peace and enlightenment." Except that it's based not on Greek mythology but the Mahabharata, which it retells from the perspective of Draupadi/Panchaali, the princess who becomes (partly) the cause of a cataclysmic war.

I liked it quite a bit. It's a fast read, yet lyrical, and the portrayal of Krishna is fantastic, a really compelling mix of lovab
Neha
May 17, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mahabharata through the eyes of its most controversial character - Panchali or Draupadi.. Its an interesting take.. and Chitra Banerjee through her master story teller stroke has done a fair justice to it. Although at time she turns Panchali into a more complex character then she could be.

To read more, visit Storywala
Book Riot Community
A version of the Mahābhārata told from the perspective of Princess Panchāli, this did more for me that an entire semester of studying the original text for college did. Panchāli’s character is fascinating in that she is married to five brothers in the Hindu epic, and the novel talks about this with due credit to the patriarchal context.

Verdict: Buy.

from Buy, Borrow, Bypass: Hindu Mythology Retellings: http://bookriot.com/2016/05/23/buy-bo...
Nidhi Mahajan
Apr 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
It is extremely difficult to comment upon the beauty of Divakaruni's words. She has attempted the enormous task of retelling the Mahabharata, one of the greatest Indian epics. The Mahabharata is often called a 'history', a record of the past composed by Vyasa. Many versions of the epic exist today and it continues to intrigue intellectual minds. Many interpretations of the Mahabharata have been attempted and Divakaruni's The Palace of Illusions is one of them.

The Place of Illusions is a retellin
Surabhi
What an absolute pile of dog shit is this books is!
Palace of illusions? more like Palace of misinterpretations/ falsehood / distortions. And this book got international recognition?!! SMH

Matlab feminism/women empowerment ka tag lag kar kuch bhi likhoge?

Draupadi in love with karna? It's like falling 'in love' with someone who assaulted you.
No woman of self respect will fall for someone who wants to see her stand naked before the whole assembly. To show Draupadi disloyal by nourishing feelings f
Did you feel that there is a more empowered version of Draupadi in this book? If yes, what made you realise it? 1 1 Sep 24, 2020 12:19PM
Is this book worth reading? 29 182 Sep 09, 2020 11:05PM
Anime Simulcast: Chapters 8 - 14 7 4 Feb 25, 2020 10:22AM
Anime Simulcast: Chapter 1 - 7 4 10 Feb 09, 2020 05:13PM
Anime Simulcast: Chapters 15 - 21 1 3 Jan 18, 2020 05:38PM
Anime Simulcast: Chapters 22 - 28 1 4 Jan 18, 2020 05:36PM
Anime Simulcast: Chapters 29 - 35 1 2 Jan 18, 2020 05:36PM

• The Immortals of Meluha (Shiva Trilogy, #1)
  • The Secret of the Nagas (Shiva Trilogy #2)
  • The Oath of the Vayuputras (Shiva Trilogy, #3)
  • Sita: Warrior of Mithila (Ram Chandra #2)
  • Karna's Wife: The Outcast's Queen
  • Scion of Ikshvaku (Ram Chandra #1)
  • Train to Pakistan
  • 2 States: The Story of My Marriage
  • Jaya: An Illustrated Retelling of the Mahabharata
  • Raavan: Enemy of Aryavarta (Ram Chandra #3)
  • The Krishna Key
  • Sita: An Illustrated Retelling of the Ramayana
  • Five Point Someone: What Not to Do at IIT
  • The 3 Mistakes of My Life
  • Sita's Sister
  • Chanakya's Chant
  • Mrs Funnybones
  • Asura: Tale Of The Vanquished
Chitra Banerjee Divakaruni is an award-winning author and poet. Her themes include the Indian experience, contemporary America, women, immigration, history, myth, and the joys and challenges of living in a multicultural world. Her work is widely known, as she has been published in over 50 magazines, including the Atlantic Monthly and The New Yorker, and her writing has been included in over 50 ant ...more