Start by marking “AfterLife” as Want to Read:
AfterLife

AfterLife

(AfterLife #1)

Prior to recorded history, a small genetic mutation occurred that created this race now found among every civilization in every corner of the globe. Unrecognizable to the rest of mankind but dependent upon them for survival, this race is known as Mortui; those whose spirits do not sever from their bodies when they die. They are not zombies, but they are the source of all l ...more
Published September 11th 2012

To ask other readers questions about AfterLife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about AfterLife

Wendi Hassan
Dec 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Death is usually the end of the story, but it’s just the beginning for Wesley Lohmann, whose accidental suicide not only fails to end his problems, but opens him up to entirely new dangers that threaten everyone he’s ever cared for.

Wes is a Mortui, genetically predisposed to live on after the death of his body in an eternal, but sensory deprived, state. As other Mortui help him transition to his new life, he discovers to his horror that in order to survive he must feed on the life force of livin
Erika
This review is also on Living for the Books

This was such a disappointment. The concept of Mortui living in the world without anyone knowing is something that I find fascinating for some reason. I'm not a fan of zombies but I'm always up for a unique twist on vampires. Sadly this book was just not for me.

The only part that I really enjoyed about the book was the unique take on vampires and zombies. The rest of the book was kind of boring. The very beginning of the book was interesting but once We
Elicia Cheah
Apr 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Detailed Review: Hmmmm, the description of this book got me interested in it, because I wanted to know what other scenario is possible in the book. At first, I was like 'Yeah right'.

But you know what, the author hit the mark in the head, and in my face. I did feel a bit ashamed for doubting the book but after that I just carried on reading like it was the MOST AWESOME BOOK IN THE WORLD. Yup, you heard it.

It's like Warm Bodies, where the main character is a zombie, but in this book he's called
Sheila

Cross Twilight with Inception and you’ll approach the intriguing feel of S. P. Cloward’s pleasingly original Afterlife. The newly, but not totally dead, otherwise known as Mortui, need training in how to survive in their extended lives. Like a cross between zombies and vampires, they feed on energy from the living and, if they’re so minded, try to give back, something Wes turns out to be surprisingly good at with minimal training. But then, Wes is a pretty good guy all around once he’s freed fro
Justine
Dec 29, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free from the author in exchange for an honest review.
At first when I read the summary, I figured that his would be your typical zombie Apocolypse book, it wasn't. It was a fresh idea on the whole take on the undead. This novel was zombie, sci-fi at its best. The authors descriptions of the characters surroundings made you feel like you were right there with them. There was quite a bit of action going on thought the book with the minutest amount of romance possible.
The cha
Chrissy (The Every Free Chance Reader)
DNF - 0 stars

Where I stopped reading: According to my Kindle, location 68 of 3827.

Why I stopped reading: I love smarmy, sappy vampire love stories as much as the next SAHM attempting to live vicariously through fiction, but my Grammar Nazi won out this time. As I stated above, I made it, according to my Kindle, to location 68 of 3827 or, if you’re a paper-only kind of reader, “the page with so much passive voice I had to stop reading before I stabbed someone” (err . . . before someone was stabbe
Debpottle
Dec 05, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is difficult to find fresh ideas or approaches to this subject of the "undead" so reading this book was all the more delightful. This author has discovered an avenue by which the subject is not only believable but realistic as well. Of course there is no such thing, but, it leaves the reader with just enough possibility to want to read more about the whole possibility.

I loved the richly portrayed characters, who felt like my own friends and the challenges that they faced. It was great readin
Terry Reid
I liked this book. The author put a fresh spin on the zombie and vampire legends to create a unique premise. While Wes and his friends are undead and therefore cannot age, they are not indestructible. They consume energy off living people by a technique called ‘soul-syncing’. This cuts their victim’s life but allows the mortui repair their own body.

Also the main characters are very likeable and the story gets off to a fast-paced start with a lot of dark humour. However, I felt the story began to
Debra Barstad
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was ok
This was a different kind of book. I can't say that I loved it nor can I say that I hated it.
Donna
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Holy crap, this was awesome! I was honestly not looking forward to reading this. I tend to avoid zombies on a whole, because they turn to be boring. And they creep me out. I was so wrong about this book.

Afterlife is about an ancient race of people (Mortuis) who have a special gene that prevents the soul from severing from the body when they die prematurely. They operate in organisations. Wes, our main character becomes one of them and joins a mortui organisation called Afterlife. He learns how
Vanessa
Apr 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
AfterLife is definitely a different take on the living dead. And while it may be different it is also very interesting. Wes Lohmann used to be completely normal and completely alive until one day Wes dies. Instead of dying fully Wes changes into one of the undead or Mortui. And while Wes isn't alive being a Mortui isn't exactly like being a zombie. Wes looks normal and alive and fresh. He can speak coherently and he can form coherent thoughts, as can the rest of the Mortui. But Wes can't physica ...more
Angela Harrison
May 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have a habit of buying books that friends recommend without even reading the the synopsis. Afterlife was suggested to me by a friend and I have to be honest I do not enjoy the undead genre, it personally does not interest me and I find that it is overdone. To say the least I was disappointed when I started reading and realized this story was about the undead, but I figured since I already bought the book I should give it a shot and I am happy I did! This is a story we have not heard before. Th ...more
Christie
Apr 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pretty amazed by the quality of this book since I got it for free. (Granted I have picked up a number of other independently-published Kindle books that have been real snoozers.) I told Tim about the plot and he thought it sounded pretty good too. It was hard to put down. I liked the fact that the main antagonist wasn't dumb or easy to defeat. There were plenty of twists and turns and things going wrong. The plot was pretty believable (enough science in the science-fiction is always good). ...more
PrintedAdventures
This was a random book I found on my Kindle one day. I didn't remember even downloading it, but there it was.

And all in all it wasn't a bad read. It was a little slow moving for me and lacked a little bit of world building. I enjoyed the thought of the 'afterlife' aspect, kind of zombie-esque aspects. (But if you're looking for a zombie novel, this is not one of the horror genre. It would be like calling a novel about an everyday normal dog a werewolf novel.) But I felt like I wanted more detai
Rich Grimes
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Death Isn't Always the End

This book had a unique approach to what happens after death, but without a morbid perspective it could have had the author chosen to take that path. It was a quick and enjoyable read, but the author took time to go into enough detail about the main characters to give you a feeling of what they might be in real life. The ending provided closure to the story, but with enough openness to carry over to another book.
Kelly
May 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a free download and decided to give it a try. I typically don't expect much from free downloads, but this one exceeded my expectations. Overall I thought the story was creative and different than other sci-fi zombie/vampire type books. There were a few slow points that briefly lost my interest, but I kept reading and didn't regret it. I can't wait to find out what comes next!
Glen Shipherd
Apr 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Very enjoyable read! The story is intriguing and I really liked the whole concept of the Mortuis. The author was able to bring a completely new concept to life with his undead. I caught myself cheering on Wes and the AfterLife group when they went up against the Atumra. The ending opened up many possibilities and I look forward to the next book!
Marisa
May 02, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-tablet
I liked this book. It's a unique take on the idea of "zombies" and there was enough suspense to keep me interested all the way through...and now I definitely want to read the next book. Good character development and attention to details made this a quick, entertaining read.
Chester J.
Jul 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Somewhat creepy

A glimpse of what afterlife could be and the struggles of the people who inhabit this existence of the not quite dead. A very novel, but creepy view into an existence that many people suspect, but cannot prove.
Bethany
Mar 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A highly creative and engaging new series. The characters are full and vibrant (if one can be both vibrant and evil!). I'm excited to see where the story goes...what twists and turns the author has in store!
Danielle Hoffman
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
This book was just OK for me. The plot was sound, the idea was innovative with a different spin on the walking-dead concept, but the dialogue was wooden and kept distracting me from the story instead of enhancing it.
Amber
Apr 12, 2013 rated it did not like it
it sucked. i couldnt even get half way through.
Darla Moore
Oct 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved it...awesome characters and paranormal theme
Shenstone
Jun 27, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An interesting read, a book with real premise (;* It'll be interesting to find out what happens in the second.
Lisa Cashen
Mar 26, 2019
Eric Ryan
May 24, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Vampire Books Fan...: AfterLife will be free on Amazon! 1 14 Apr 03, 2013 08:12AM

• Audrey's Guide to Black Magic (Audrey's Guides, #2)
  • The Vampire Hunter's Daughter Collectors Edition (The Vampire Hunter's Daughter, #1-3)
  • Divided against Yourselves (Spell Weaver, #2)
  • The Forbidden Trilogy (The Forbidden Trilogy #1-3)
  • Unnatural Law (Darwin's Children, #2)
  • The Alien Mind
  • Legend of the Chosen (Destiny's Kingdom #1)
  • The Reckoning (The Marenon Chronicles, #3)
  • The Keepers
  • Flury: Journey of a Snowman (Claus, #3)
  • Stolen Dreams (Cassie Scot #4)
  • The Search for Artemis (The Chronicles of Landon Wicker, #1)
  • The Nymph’s Labyrinth (Nymph #1)
  • No Greater Sacrifice
  • My Blood Runs Blue
  • High Seas Deception
  • The Ordinary Life of an (Extra) Ordinary Dog - A Memoir
  • Immortal Outlaw (Immortal Brotherhood, #2)
S.P. Cloward grew up in Utah across the street from the City Cemetery. He currently resides in sunny Orlando, Florida, a stone’s throw from world famous theme parks. His imagination occupies a studio apartment somewhere in-between.

Cloward is the fourth of five children. His stories are part of an ingenious plan to divert his parents’ attention from his siblings to himself.
It’s working.

I'd love to

AfterLife (2 books)
  • AfterLife Allegiances (AfterLife Series Book 2)