Start by marking “The Piano Lesson” as Want to Read:
The Piano Lesson

The Piano Lesson

(The Century Cycle #4)

August Wilson has already given the American theater such spell-binding plays about the black experience in 20th-century America as Ma Rainey's Black Bottom, Joe Turner's Come and Gone, and the Pulitzer Prize-winning, Fences. In his second Pulitzer Prize-winner, The Piano Lesson, Wilson has fashioned his most haunting and dramatic work yet.

At the heart of the p
Published September 1st 2007 by Theatre Communications Group (first published December 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Piano Lesson, please sign up.
Ashleyflores i say no because all she wants is for that piano to stay in her house because its the memory of her ansesters and all the tears her mom cried on it…morei say no because all she wants is for that piano to stay in her house because its the memory of her ansesters and all the tears her mom cried on it and all the work her mom did on that piano.(less)
Jaden Stokes I think Bernice is a bitch because instead of letting boy Willie sell the piano for half of Sutter land and taking half the money she kept him from…moreI think Bernice is a bitch because instead of letting boy Willie sell the piano for half of Sutter land and taking half the money she kept him from taking something she hasn't touched for years.(less)

Start your review of The Piano Lesson
Brina
During the 1930s, African Americans began the great migration north as they sought to fulfill the American dream. Part of August Wilson's Century cycle of plays, The Piano Lesson introduces the Charles family of Pittsburgh as they struggle to get ahead during the Depression. A winner of both the Pulitzer Prize for drama and the New York Drama Critics Circle Award, The Piano Lesson focuses on a family at a crossroads, as they grapple whether to move forward with the American dream or to return to ...more
Carol
EXCELLENT!

"Berniece ain't gonna sell that piano.".

Set in Pittsburgh, this haunted story of the history behind and conflict over a 137 year old ornately carved upright piano has everything I love in a drama. Unforgettable characters with animated humorous voices, the presence of a determined spirited visitor, and a storyline that takes the reader places you didn't expect to go into the past.

"Berniece ain't gonna sell that piano."

How in the world did a 350 pound man fall down his well? How did Crawley really lose his life? Read T

past.

Lauren Cecile
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Can't wait for Denzel to make this into a movie.
Rebecca McNutt
A shocking and somber play with much deeper themes than initially meets the eye, a beloved family heirloom becomes a metaphor for injustice in this incredible story.
Courtney H.
May 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: century-cycle
Because what follows is too long and not really a review (which is particularly terrible given that I'm reviewing a playwright whose brilliant brevity would make Hemingway envious), I'll start with this (which I do not say lightly): The Piano Lesson should be on everyone's personal required reading list.

The Piano Lesson was my first foray into Wilson, and the only one I've been lucky enough to see performed (twice, both brilliantly, once in Washington DC and once at Yale Rep). Wilson
Erika Schoeps
Aug 21, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Stars

A short and sweet play about a family feud over a family piano. My brother recommended this book to me. My brother is really interested in chemistry, and doesn't like to read; so when he recommends something, I check it out.

The characters are well-developed, and their motivations and desires are well-presented and played out. The introductions were interesting, and the story progressed at a solid pace as the tension slowly increased. By the climax, the passive aggressive be
Adira
Another Wilson play that was just okay. I wanted to learn more about the piano, but the characters never really get around to explains what exactly is so important and symbolic about the piano that it must be kept within the family. I feel like this would be an amazing play to see onstage since the final scene has so much action and the characters have so much dialogue between themselves that causes for the reader to need to actually see it acted out instead of just reading it in a book.
Sookie
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays
Do we give up on artifacts tied to our history as an investment for the betterment of our future or do we use them as an inspiration to build a better future for ourselves?

The piano becomes focal point that drives the conversation between siblings about civil war, slavery, family history and remembering injustices of the past.
TheSkepticalReader
Incredibly simplistic but full of meanings, symbolism, and interesting explorations of double consciousness. Wilson clearly seemed to be very good at what he did. Would love to try more of his plays in the future.
leynes
Jun 02, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: black-writers
The Piano Lesson is a 1987 play by American playwright August Wilson. It is the fourth play in Wilson's The Pittsburgh Cycle. It was recommended to me by the lovely Yamini.

Wilson began writing this play by playing with the various answers regarding the possibility of “acquir[ing] a sense of self-worth by denying one's past”. However, on finishing his play, Wilson found the ending to stray from the empowered Berniece as well as from the question regarding self-worth. What The Piano Lesson finally seems to ask is:
Haya
Sep 02, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The Piano Lesson is about two siblings fighting over an antique piano that has been with their family ever since it'd been made. I wasn't supposed to know that this play existed, but it turned out I was supposed to read it over the summer.

I've read a lot of books that make no sense or left me thinking, WHAT THE FUDGE? or were simply pointless, but this play was just POINTLESS. A Big-Foot-DOES-Exist kind of pointless (because he doesn't exist, if you get what I mean). Yes, the story was
Brista Drake
Nov 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a great play. I am not sure, but this might not be one of August Wilson's best, but it still resonated well with the times of the 1930's.
Interesting enough, this particular copy (I'm not sure if it's different in other editions) had quite a lot of mistakes, from misspelling of one name to fudging up when or where a character exited to.
The play left me thinking about philosophy and how there is always two halves to one story. Maybe that's the point of the piano lesson; it's a
Debbie
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My second August Wilson play/book and I Loved it! To this hometown Pittsburgh girl his plays read just like pure dialogue between people that I may know or have heard. I enjoyed it immensely and have not a negative speck of a word to say against it. I look forward to reading the rest of his play collection and hope to see one live on stage soon.
Winner!
Mark
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, plays
I'm a Pittsburgher, but even if I weren't, I would declare August Wilson a national treasure.

His cycle of plays covers different decades in the African-American experience in Pittsburgh. The Piano Lesson is set in the 1930s, when many blacks knew people who either had been born into slavery or who could remember slave members of the family, and that forms one of the elements in this gripping saga.

At the heart of the play is a richly carved piano that becomes the subject of a family
Connie  Kuntz
Oct 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Theatre Nerds
Recommended to Connie by: I like the author
This is one of those family dramas that engaged my mind and my spirit from word one. I can't even imagine the bliss I would experience if I actually saw this play staged.

Reading The Piano Lesson was a joyful experience for me because the characters were so immediately engaging. Wilson has a way of introducing his characters that feels (to me) quick and familiar BUT also compelling and mysterious. I found myself leaning into the book to learn more about the characters as the drama unf
Ash
This is a 3.7 starred rating.

I continue my backward trajectory through August Wilson's Century Cycle with The Piano Lesson. If I had to based what I thought this play would be about solely on its title, I probably would have said this would be the most innocuous of his Cycle thus far. I would be wrong; way off the map and with good reason too.

The Piano Lesson takes place in 1936. On its surface, it's about a brother sister conflict. Little brother Boy Willie wants to sell of the fam
Jonfaith
Jul 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Truly enjoyable play depicting the great migration from the Deep South to the northern industrial zones, in this case—Pittsburgh. There are meditations on fate, justice and gender hypocrisy. There’s a simmering pain and a ghost who’s as taciturn as the fallen king of Denmark.
Rick
Jul 16, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: drama
An old piano is as much a character in this play as any of the characters who speak lines, chase dreams, or resist ghosts in this starkly beautiful drama. Like all but one of the other tens plays in August Wilson’s Century Cycle, The Piano Lesson is set in Pittsburgh. The time is the late 1930s, making it the fourth chronologically in the cycle (fifth in order of composition). I’ve been reading them in chronological order and this one is the most compelling and enjoyable to date (in a stiff competitio ...more
Nicholas Armstrong
I've said this before with plays and I will say it again: they must be watched. There is a film version of The Piano Lesson with Charles Dutton that is really remarkable. I'm not sure if they still perform this, but it will be the first play I mark down to see if it is.

Speaking of the play (and a lot of this comes off far better in the theatrical version), the characters are amazing. The history of the characters and how it has defined them, their loves and their hates, their flaws and the
Sue
Jan 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: pulitzer-award
I have seen this play performed and it was very powerful. I wanted to read the play and experience it again and found it just as compelling as the performance. The play revolves around a piano owned by a brother and sister that contains carvings depicting their family history. It becomes a point of serious contention as the sister wants to keep it and the brother wants to sell it. The real lesson of the piano is the conflict between preserving the history of an African-American family that all t ...more
Mike
Mar 09, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have I talked about how natural the dialogue is in these plays? I know Wilson wrote a lot in bars, listening to the talk all around him, but this is a skill far exceeding just the ability to pull from reality. I love how Boy Willie clearly talks first and thinks later, just easily slipping stretches of the truth here and there to always bolster his point. Even for things that don't even matter. We've all known people like that who will just casually drop, "Lymon got tired" or something like that ...more
Roger Lohmann
Feb 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conflict between a Pittsburgh woman, Bernice, and her brother from Mississippi over ownership of a piano that has been in the family since slave time. By all means, read it, but if you have a chance to see it produced do not miss it! Critics may say Wilson's Fences is better, but I find this one hard to top. Wilson's unique mix of African-American and universal themes is really unmatched. And his "Century Cycle" (completed before his death) in which he has written a play set in each decade in th ...more
Steven
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: american, plays
The central conflict of the play swirls around an old piano, an heirloom instrument with carved figures on the front and sides, and whether it should be sold to buy the land in Mississippi its owners’ forebears once worked as slaves.

The history of the piano is steeped in violence - “thieving and killing, thieving and killing,” - and it is the legacy of all that bloodshed that makes the piano so valuable, either as a treasured keepsake or as an item for sale.
Julia Buckley
Jul 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first play I've read by Wilson, and I was struck by the depth of his characters and the power of his dialogue. His careful attention to the details and nuances of human speech and behavior made the conversations (and the characters) come alive on the page. Occasionally funny, often sad, this drama takes on a seemingly simple conflict that escalates into something much more for the brother and sister on either side of the argument.
Shawn Deal
Jun 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: plays, classic
One of the greatest modern plays ever written. This is a brilliant piece of work that shows the struggle for African-Americans between their history, resembled in a piano, and the an opportunity for the future for the price of the piano and what that money could do. There is no winning situation with a choice like this. There is always something to be lost.
Melinda
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wilson’s dialog is superb. The conflict is all too real. The prose is strong, realistic with some poetic smatterings scattered about. Vibrant, with an emotional pull causing the narrative and ensemble to come alive. The building tension creates a suspenseful and plausible ambiance.

The ending adds fuel to the fire, as the climatic finale binds the entire narrative.
Kelly Mogilefsky
I am reading this again to prepare to teach it over the summer. I always think I've got this play down, but another read brings me a fresh perspective. It is a great character study, depicting with clarity the struggle between past and present, memory and fulfillment of promise.
emilygracecaroline
I could read August Wilson over and over.
Izzy
Jan 05, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would have loved to have seen Samuel L. Jackson as "Boy Willie."
Nov 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bettie, Carey, Wanda, Hayes
From BBC Radio 3:
August Wilson's play about a brother and sister and a piano carved with African faces.
Goodreads Librari...: Please add ACE 3 21 Dec 29, 2015 09:53PM

• The Shadow Box
  • I Am My Own Wife
  • Clybourne Park
  • Homebody/Kabul
August Wilson was an American playwright. His literary legacy is the ten play series, The Pittsburgh Cycle, for which he received two Pulitzer Prizes for Drama. Each is set in a different decade, depicting the comic and tragic aspects of the African-American experience in the twentieth century.

Wilson was born Frederick August Kittel, Jr. in the Hill District of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, the

The Century Cycle (10 books)
  • Gem of the Ocean
  • Joe Turner's Come and Gone
  • Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
  • Seven Guitars
  • Fences (The Century Cycle #6)
  • Two Trains Running
  • Jitney
  • King Hedley II
  • Radio Golf
“I been with strangers all day and they treated me like family. I come in here to family and you treat me like a stranger.” 134 likes
“-How long you been with the rail road now?
-Twenty-seven years. Now, I'll tell you something about the railroad. What I done learned after twenty-seven years. See, you got North. You got West. You look over here you got South. Over there you got East. Now, you can start from anywhere. Don't care where you at. You got to go one of the four ways. And which way you decide to go, they got a railroad that will take you there. Now that's something simple. You think anybody would be able to understand that. But you'd be surprised how many people trying to go North get on a train going West. They think train's supposed to go where they going rather than where it's going.”
7 likes