Start by marking “Envisioning Information” as Want to Read:
Envisioning Information

Envisioning Information

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  6,152 Ratings  ·  185 Reviews
The celebrated design professor here tackles the question of how best to communicate real-life experience in a two-degree format, whether on the printed page or the computer screen. The Whole Earth Review called Envisioning Information a "passionate, elegant revelation."
Hardcover, First edition 3rd printing with revisions, 126 pages
Published December 1992 by Graphics Pr (first published May 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Envisioning Information, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Envisioning Information

Bruce
Apr 12, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: absolutely no one whatsoever
This makes the third and last of Edward Tufte's books I have (and most likely, will ever) read. I hear he's working on a fifth, but I can't really see the point. He just doesn't seem to have anything new to say. Per my earlier reviews, I found his first book (especially the first 50 pages, which contain almost all the content) to be terrific. His third, a bit lame. This one (the shortest of the three) is simply a confounding, rambling disaster.

I have three reasons to offer here. First, he contin
Eric Phetteplace
Jun 18, 2012 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: designers, statisticians, anyone who has to present data
Shelves: lis-web
While this work is full of brilliant principles & illuminating examples, the prose itself is incredibly disconnected. You can tell that Tufte designed the book page by page & not section by section, or even chapter by chapter. On the one hand, that means that the layouts are often excellent, but on the other merely flipping a page can be a jarring experience as the preceding paragraph fails to relate to the present one. A few times, I even had difficulty telling that the chapter had chan ...more
Eric
Feb 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is a classic work in the field of information design. Today, you will more often hear the phrase “information visualization” (aka, infovis) to describe the act of representing abstract data in a visual format. The goal is to make the data more accessible to a human, allowing them to gain insights from the information.

The book was written in 1990 and lacks any description of information design for the web save for a few descriptions of color and graphical interfaces. Instead, Tufte focuses o
Roger Wood
The book led was one of the most enlightening books that I've every read. I've always had a penchant for using numbers, images, and heuristics to explain, and began taking Edward Tufte's courses when the opportunity arose, starting in 1998. He held them in hotel ballrooms throughout the United States, and his followers attended with cult-like repetition, sometimes registering for the same course 6 times in one year.

Edward Tufte is one of the most elegant designers of information alive today, the
TK Keanini
Apr 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
If you can't present data in a way that communicates your thoughts or the emergent information, there is no reason to present the data. This book and other Tufte books are fundamental.
Mister
Apr 11, 2007 rated it liked it
A helpful marketing guide on how to write, draw and give lectures in regards to descriptions of meaningful figures and diagrams that piques both the audience's retina as well as their neural cells where information is swallowed and later dissolved into their jugular veins where internally the audience can know what is being described in their own words and understanding :)
Chelsea Ursaner
Aug 10, 2016 rated it liked it
I think I had the wrong expectations for this book, so I was left disappointed. "Information" is not quite the same as data. If you're all about data visualization, try Nathan Yau. Tufte had good tips that are generalizable but I didn't find the examples very applicable to the type of things I work with.
Steve
Jul 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
If ever you could judge a book by its cover, it's this one. Literally, the six main topics are listed on the cover. Of course, you don't know what they really mean yet, but you could probably take a guess and get really close. This book has even fewer operational insights than his "Visual Display of Quantitative Information" book did, and a lot of the content seems to be borrowed from that book but cast in a slightly different light. I think Tufte makes justifiable summaries of good visualizatio ...more
Eric Martin
Nov 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a great book with a lot of examples from around the world. Its only fault is its brevity.
Laurian
Dec 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Tom panning
Shelves: ux
This is the second book that was picked for the UX book club at work.

I've only seriously read two of Tufte's books. I've skimmed the other two and his pamphlets and taking bits and pieces from them that were convenient for what I was looking for. So when Tufte was brought up in the book club I was happy to push for this one that I hadn't had a chance to read as thoroughly as I would have liked.

Information is just about the cornerstone of the work that I do. The people I design software for have
Todd Stockslager
Jun 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Tufte follows up his debut classic with an even more beautiful piece of graphic art disguised as a guide to ways to display three (and more) dimensions on a flat surface.

While even more beautifully crafted than The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, 2nd edition, it has less in the way of practical guidance. Tufte's principle here can be reduced to this far-reaching but not so simply-implemented statement: increase the resolution of "flatland" (paper or computer screen) to show more data
Bram van der Heijde
Jul 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Very interesting book. Beautifully typeset and printed, and in that way an absolute example of how to visually present your work or information in general.
However, and quite contradictory in that sense, in my opinion it lacks a clear structure and hence it didn't entirely succeed to get its message across. After reading it a first time (I am planning to reread it sometime), I remembered some "tips & tricks", but no clear set of take-away messages.
mahatma anto
Sep 01, 2007 rated it really liked it
dulu beli untuk perpustakaan.
kagak ngarti apa pentingnya buku ini, selain cuma sekadar mendorong agar kita bisa membnuat presentasi yang memikat.
ternyata,
ketika kita harus sering presentasi, buku ini sangat bermanfaat.
idenya cuma agar kita mempresentasikan gagasan secara jernih, terbuka, padat, cepat. untuk itu perlu keahliann memilih medium presentasi kita, mengenal audiens, menyajikan presentasi lebih visual, menyentuh indera...
siip!
Sean Billy
May 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and recommend it to anyone who works with the visual representation of information. The book itself is beautiful, the writing is clear, and the drawings work seamlessly to create a comprehensive understanding of different categories of information. I look forward to reading more Edward Tufte.
Margaret Heller
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Fundamental concepts, usually ignored in practice. The point is that presenting information meaningfully is challenging and takes real thought. Simplicity does not create clarity by itself.
amy
Jul 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't find it to have a particularly strong or clear argument, but plenty of interesting examples and points.
Annuska
Jan 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: hci
Classic
Andrew Dale
May 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is not really too different from Edward R. Tufte's first work, The Visual Display of Quantitative Information.

That is not really a bad thing though, if you appreciate it for what it is: a beautifully-arranged collection of fascinating illustrations of data from different eras and all over the globe. The amount of archival research that must have gone into this book is truly impressive: there are images from as early as the 1600s all the way up until the 1980s, and from places as far a
Titania Remakes the World
ABSTRACT: How to Design Information, Communicate effectively, powerfully (like a nuclear-warhead) using data analysis and how to make it so people can comprehend it; Intro to How to use Data Analysis,

" "This book celebrates escapes from the flatlands of both paper and computer screen, showing superb displays of high-dimensional complex data. The most design-oriented of Edward Tufte's books, Envisioning Information shows maps, charts, scientific presentations, diagrams, computer interfaces, stat
Andrew Thappa
Jul 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I picked up "Envisioning Information" from the library and will say that if you have the opportunity: read a physical copy of the book rather than a digital copy. The central theme of the book is that we always want to maximize understanding of complex data with an "economy of means." The book describes some principles Tufte sees as central to the presentation of complex data. Generally, statistics classes pay lip service to some of these clichés such as "Confusion and clutter are failures or de ...more
Lia
Jun 20, 2017 rated it liked it
I like Edward Tufte. I appreciate his view on self exemplifying documents and the need for intelligent and beautiful design of information. I've browsed three of his large books: The Visual Display of Quantitative Information, Beautiful Evidence, and Envisioning Information. While they are all beautiful books and very interesting, I can't help wishing they had a higher usability factor. He wants the reader to move slowly and study each example as he has, which has merit, to be sure, but the larg ...more
Olesia
Nov 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: data-viz
This is the only book by Tufte I've read so far. And, knowing how everyone in data viz community adores his work, I expected more from it. I really liked that the beautiful and informative examples in the book come from wide range of sources, they are not all "western" and from the time the book was written. It's certainly worth looking deeper into some of them like Oliver Bryne's The Elements of Euclid. I think there's a lot to learn about the art of visual explanation from it.
In "Envisioning I
Richard Latham
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Eye opening book on the art and science behind data visualization. Does an amazing job of pulling in a wide range of examples from different parts of the world and many different disciplines. Does lack in communicating clear messages about how the provided examples can fit together to inform a practical toolkit.
Garrett
May 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: design
Lots of overlap with the Visual Design book. I wish the two were combined.
Agness.c
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
really brilliant book! easy to read, full of examples, clear, compelling, informative. nice to read even if you are not into information visualization. one of my favourite reads!
Stacy Taylor
May 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction, design, 2017
Hard to believe this was published more than 25 years ago. A must read for the modern UI Designer.
Faith Perry
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Should be mandatory for anyone working with data visualization.
Frank
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This one is a bit think compared to Tufte's other books considering some of the materials are already covered in his previous books.
Ferhat Culfaz
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
The book after Visual Display of Quantitative Information. Not as good as the first, but still excellent. A more general book dealing with maps, fonts, typography, 3D charts and illustration.
Amit  R
Dec 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Not as good as the Visual Display of Quantitative Information, but still quite good.
  • Information Dashboard Design: The Effective Visual Communication of Data
  • Designing Interactions [With CDROM]
  • About Face 3: The Essentials of Interaction Design
  • Visual Complexity: Mapping Patterns of Information
  • Universal Principles of Design: 100 Ways to Enhance Usability, Influence Perception, Increase Appeal, Make Better Design Decisions, and Teach Through Design
  • Designing Interfaces: Patterns for Effective Interaction Design
  • Visualize This: The FlowingData Guide to Design, Visualization, and Statistics
  • Designing for Interaction: Creating Smart Applications and Clever Devices
  • Web Form Design: Filling in the Blanks
  • Sketching User Experiences:  Getting the Design Right and the Right Design
  • Grid Systems in Graphic Design/Raster Systeme Fur Die Visuele Gestaltung (German and English Edition)
  • Data Flow: Visualising Information in Graphic Design
  • The Elements of Typographic Style
  • The Humane Interface: New Directions for Designing Interactive Systems
  • Information Architecture for the World Wide Web: Designing Large-Scale Web Sites
  • Visual Grammar
  • Mental Models: Aligning Design Strategy with Human Behavior
  • The New Typography

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Edward Rolf Tufte (born 1942 in Kansas City, Missouri to Virginia and Edward E. Tufte), a professor emeritus of statistics, graphic design, and political economy at Yale University has been described by The New York Times as "the Leonardo da Vinci of Data". He is an expert in the presentation of informational graphics such as charts and diagrams, and is a fellow of the American Statistical Associa ...more
More about Edward R. Tufte...

Nonfiction Deals

• Rachel's Tears: The Spiritual Journey of Columbine Martyr Rachel Scott
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Georgiana: Duchess of Devonshire
    $8.99 $1.99
  • American Gun: A History of the U.S. in Ten Firearms (P.S.)
    $8.24 $2.99
“What about confusing clutter? Information overload? Doesn't data have to be "boiled down" and "simplified"? These common questions miss the point, for the quantity of detail is an issue completely separate from the difficulty of reading. Clutter and confusion are failures of design, not attributes of information.” 22 likes