Start by marking “The Desert Princess (The Loves of King Solomon, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Desert Princess (The Loves of King Solomon, #1)

The Desert Princess

(The Loves of King Solomon #1)

Solomon captured her heart. But can she hold on to his?

King David is running for his life with his young son Solomon in tow when Naamah first encounters the prince. Her father is loyal to the king, and that loyalty will be sealed years later--through the marriage of Solomon and Naamah.

For her part, Naamah is happy to wed the handsome prince and enter into palace life. But
Published August 5th 2014 by Revell Books

To ask other readers questions about The Desert Princess, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Desert Princess

Jill Smith
Sep 24, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This was also a fun book to write. It was a change to 1st person for me, but the voice of the story demanded it. It should release to e-book 8-1-14. I hope you enjoy it!
Anne Campbell
Oct 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Jill Eileen Smith has her own way of bringing out possible Biblical romances. In this series (The Loves of King Solomon), Jill's view of Solomon's first love just melts your heart.

Naamah is the beloved in the Song of Solomon, daughter of one of the princes subject to the Israelite king. She first meets Solomon when David is running from his son Absalom, and even at ten years old is enamored of the favorite of the king. Solomon and she exchange correspondence for a few years, but then he abruptly
Anne Rightler
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Desert Princess by Jill Eileen Smith is the first novella in The Loves of King Solomon series and I liked it! It is thought provoking as to how the first wife of King Solomon might have reacted to being his wife and then her feelings as he began to take other wives. Smith does a great job with the historicity of her novels and I like how she draws her fictional account from the Scriptures and fleshes out the characters, crafting them into characters that are believable and have issues that r ...more
Sharon
Nov 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I prefer hard copy books, so I kept putting off reading this ebook, but I really enjoyed the perspective the author took here. She wrote from the perspective of the young girl who wanted to marry Solomon, whom she’d known since a child. The author portrayed the life of a dating girl and then a wife in the palace of the soon-to-be
king. You’ll certainly enjoy this historical fiction portraying the possible influences shaping the character of Solomon.
Michelle Wallace
Dec 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Quite enjoyable

This is quite an enjoyable read. I especially appreciated the use of the Hebrew terms Elohim for God and Adonai for Lord and most especially Yahweh, the name of God in Hebrew. I look forward to reading the other books in this series and the more Biblical fiction by this author.
Patricia Lott
Oct 17, 2018 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book and plan to read the rest in the series. I know that it was a novella but I felt that it was too short. I wanted more but knowing that you can't glean too much or take to many liberties with biblical material I was satisfied. This is my first time reading this author and I am sure that as I read the rest of the series I will come to love her spin on the scriptures.
Angela
Mar 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
History tells us very little about Naamah the Ammonite princess, the first wife of Solomon, and the mother of his heir, Rehoboam. Many historians have assumed that because she was raised in a nation of idol worship, specifically to Molech who required child sacrifice, that she was probably as evil as Jezebel. I like this imaginative tale much better. Naamah is presented as a gentle and compassionate young woman whose exposure to child sacrifice has filled her with disgust and encouraged her to s ...more
Christine Dillon
May 03, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting set of stories but this one ends very abruptly.
I like that the author tackles the issue of what it must have been like to battle with the issue of not being an only wife.

I also like how this wife comes to know Israel's God.
ann white
May 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
Lovely read!

I really enjoyed this short story imagining the life of Solomon's first wife. This novella is written beautifully and look forward to reading more books of this series.
Maria
Nov 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed

As always this author did not disappoint. I always enjoy her books as I feel like I’ve learned something about the women in those times
Yvonne Crawford
Aug 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just a short read
Dee
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think it is safe to say that most everyone realizes that these historical, Christian romances are not exactly literary triumphs. However, they are very sweet reads that offer gentle entertainment. Well, written with a good plot. I’d definitely recommend to fans of this genre.
MaryAnn
Way too short.
SIMS
Jun 08, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good 👍

I liked it but it was a bit predictable, but a very nice read.well interpreted of Biblical times. Interpreted Solomon kindly
Ruth
Sep 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
3.5 Stars. I've been long overdue for the opportunity to read a Jill Eileen Smith novel. Having devoured all three installments of her first series, The Wives of King David, her subsequent stories have -- sadly -- found themselves lost in my toppling to-be-read pile. Happily, The Desert Princess provides the perfect solution for those like myself craving a quick trip into her richly-imagined biblical world. This brief novella is the first of a proposed series exploring the Solomon through the ey ...more
Sandra
Feb 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a Great Bible based Novella. I love to read this type of genre. I appreciate that Jill and authors like her point out the items of the book that she has added from her imagination. Other details came right from the Bible and you can research the details by going to the references she gives at the end of the book. I thought the book was very well written and kept up my interest. I would recommend this book to others.
Michelle
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2015-read, reviewed
I've been looking for something different, something more uplifting and thought provoking. The Desert Princess definitely did the trick and got me out of my reading rut!! I had forgotten how much I enjoy Bible based novels and this one was a great one to get back into the genre with.

Despite it's short length, I totally connected with Naamah and Solomon - their young love and how quickly the reality of being a princess married to a King-to-be came crashing in. I felt every conflict Naamah had wit
Allan67
May 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Another book that I read to Diana. We can't do much anymore after her stroke, so I read to her to spend time together. Diana has always loved to have someone to read to her - and I like to do just that. But you probably know that by now.

The Desert Princess was Naaham, Solomon's first wife and mother of Rahabohm. While that much is factual from the Bible, the details of the book are fiction from Ms. Smith's imagination. While not necessarily factual, Ms. Smith's story is an easy and entertaining
Wilani Wahl
Aug 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I loved this story. I felt like I was right there with Naamah feeling her joys and hurts. I did not want the story to end but I am sure she will be mentioned in some of the other novellas in this series. It is well written. If you love Biblical fiction you will love this. I am looking forward to reading the next book in this series.
T L
Dec 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
Loved!

Hearing stories about King David and his children and the times the lived is so interesting to me. King Solomon in his youth is intriguing to me. Great story. I read it at bedtime over the course of 4 nights during Christmas break.
Andi
Jan 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: empty-shelf-2015
This was a quick read, and in Jill Eileen Smith's style very well researched.
I was swept away into the world of Solomon and Naaham.
I love that Jill tells what is real and what is from her imagination.
I highly recommend this book!
Maff
Not her best writing. I prefered the Wives of King David series. Unlike with those women, I didn't feel any connection to the character at all. Perhaps because it was just a short story, not a lengthy novel. Hmm, I'll wait til she's finished the whole series and see if I like it any better.
Kellie Shulruff
LOVE Jill Eileen Smith! this was a great read and so "insightful"....love her books!
Jackie
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Interesting

The story is written from the point of view rarely considered, the first wife. If you were the first wife, how would you think and feel?
Tabatha Wilson
Jun 09, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: kobo, own-it
Not alot of depth to this book or the characters. But it was OK.
Marilyn
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Beautiful book on King Soloman's first wife. While a work of fiction, still an interesting portrayal.
Sherri
Dec 28, 2014 rated it liked it
This was an interesting enovella. Continue to be a Smith fan.
Sherril Stinnett
Dec 28, 2017
Clare Khan
Jan 12, 2016
Suzanne
May 24, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Dec 21, 2014 07:16AM

• In the Shadow of Jezebel (Treasure of His Love)
  • Masters of Rome Collection Books I - V: First Man in Rome, The Grass Crown, Fortune's Favourites, Caesar's Women, Caesar
  • A Reluctant Queen: The Love Story of Esther
  • Desired: The Untold Story of Samson and Delilah (Lost Loves of the Bible, #2)
  • City of the Dead (Seven Wonders, #1)
  • Martha
  • The Queen's Handmaid
  • The Star of Lancaster (Plantagenet Saga, #11)
  • King and Emperor (Hammer and the Cross, #3)
  • Jewel of Persia
Jill Eileen Smith is the bestselling, award-winning author of the Wives of King David series, the Daughters of the Promised Land, the Wives of the Patriarchs, and The Loves of King Solomon series. Her research has taken her from the Bible to Israel, and she particularly enjoys learning how women lived in Old Testament times.

When she isn’t writing, she loves to spend time with her family and friend

The Loves of King Solomon (4 books)
  • The Shepherdess (The Loves of King Solomon, #2)
  • Daughter of the Nile (The Loves of King Solomon, #3)
  • The Queen of Sheba  (The Loves of King Solomon, #4)
“Only God can give us all that we need. Only He can feed the hungriest places in our soul.” 0 likes