Start by marking “Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy” as Want to Read:
Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy

Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy

Increase strength, build mass, burn fat, and define your muscles. With full-color anatomical illustrations, step-by-step instructions, and training advice, Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy is the authoritative resource for sculpting your physique without free weights, machines, or expensive equipment.

Targeting all muscle zones and primary muscle regions--arms, chest, s
Published September 6th 2013 by Human Kinetics Publishers (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy

Mary Teresa Reno
Thank you for the complimentary goodreads first-read copy of this book!

"Bodyweight Strength Training Anatomy" is a very well designed and researched book. Each chapter targets a specific group of muscles, including exceptionally well done diagrams of each muscle group. Beginning with each diagram, it is followed by a brief, yet very understandable to the reader description of the muscle group and what it's function is within the body and our movements. Following this is a series of exercises, wh
Meredith
Dec 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
A super guide with very clear explanations and diagrams of how to do each exercise, and exactly what muscles they hit. The book explains how high intensity intervals and metabolic conditioning work, with examples of how to do each. There are sample routines built for purpose that are really easy to follow and adjust to your own needs based on your requirements. As an Olympic weightlifter and competitive rower, I have special interest in the whole-body routines that build strength and mobility. Y ...more
Josh
Sep 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Bret Contreras + Human Kinetics = Wonderful

Other books I've read pointed out possible gaps in bodyweight programs. (I vaguely recall Pavel Tsatsouline implying in the FAQ/Epilogue of a book that good skill + strength in the barbell dead lift would fit on top of the pistol squat and 1-arm-1-leg push-up.) Where the r/bodyweightfitness FAQ provides a template, books explain and encourage and illustrate the ideas.

This author divides exercises into six categories: knee & hip dominant, upper body
Elizabeth Webber
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I won this book in a giveaway.

First of all, I'm super sore! I was familiar with many of the exercises in this book, but was able to try out some new ones as well. I learned new things about the exercises I have been doing for years.

This book is beautifully illustrated and gives excellent information about each exercise. I can do most recommended activities in my own home with no special equipment. I especially liked that there were difficulty ratings and modifications on each exercise so that
Bernie Gourley
Oct 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book combines a calisthenics manual with the anatomical drawings and descriptions necessary to explain the muscle activations involved in each exercise. It takes a very straightforward approach, being organized by body part. Each chapter discusses the component muscles of said part and their unique features, and then gives a series of exercises to work said part. For each exercise, at least one anatomical drawing is provided, showing the primary and secondary muscles being worked in the exe ...more
Purva Brown
Jun 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book! If you're looking for a basic body weight training reference with the ability to change intensity and difficulty levels, this is the book for you. I've been training with weights for close to 15 years now (off and on with three pregnancies, moving and all the other stuff that comes with being a mom in her 30s) and I still learned something new in this book.

Bret Contreras, for those who don't know, is called "the glute guy" but in this book, he goes far beyond talking about glute
Charles
Nov 07, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, nf-fitness
In the introduction to different body sections, the author has a lot of statements about the Ideal Body and like, strength training for vanity, and what men vs women want to look like. I'm not into that.

Otherwise, though, it seems like a pretty good reference volume. The illustrations are clear and effective. Each exercise is well-described. So that's all fine.
Mel
Mar 12, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book gives exercises based on body weight and things you can find in your home to do exercises. The exercises are broken down by parts of your body being worked. Good illustrations using male and female and the muscles worked.
I think I'm going to have to buy this one. . . for myself. . . and for everyone in the family.
Travis
May 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A thorough bodyweight strength guide, with reasons why to do bodyweight work, routines, and beautiful illustrations of the muscles used in a multitude of bodyweight-specific strength work. Will be coming back to this one as a reference for years to come.
Ashuk
Dec 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Amazing book for those who are going to begin their journey in the fitness world or are regular bodyweight excercisers like me,It helped me a lot in planning my new workout plan but the book miss on topics like bones,common injuries and their is only a little info regarding diet.
Rachel
May 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
Really great reference guide. I picked this up from the library, which was a mistake. This is the book you buy to keep on your shelf, not something you read on the train to work. Planning on buying a copy for this reason.
David Franklin
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’m a trainer. I would definitely recommend this book for those new to fitness.
Ben
Jun 27, 2018 rated it liked it
I am not a fitness fanatic. This book offered me insight into the purpose, planning and applications of being one. I found the illustrations to be particularly helpful.
Emin
Dec 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It is a very great book for reference.
Danillo
Sep 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Amazing book! The understanding is crystal clear for it's details are rich. It will certainly help me, either in my own training routines or in a professional way.
A.H. Diab
Feb 08, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
There is something wrong with this book. I read it, but I don't feel any stronger.
Angel Manson
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Extremely helpful and detailed, I will start scheduling my workouts depending on it since I have no gym to workout in 😁
Grete
Feb 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Excellent information for anyone who wants this type of workout. Varied levels of exercises and detailed explanations.
Louis
Sep 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Makes me wish I were younger but very good none the less.
Khurram
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a great book teaching to do the basic exercises properly. The illustrations are great about which exercise work which muscles. The exercises range from basic to advance. There is a meter at the top saying what lever the exercise is supposed to be set for.

One of the misconceptions I want to clear up. Yes we can all do press up, however as the author states there are dozens of variations of press up, a change as slight as changing from normal to knuckle press ups work different muscles. In
Kkharvey
Jul 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
There was a lot I enjoyed about this book. The exercise explanations were clear, I like how the book was divided by chapter, and it really gave a number of helpful tips. I'm definitely logging in a few of these body weight training exercises into my repertoire. Its a book great for travelers.

What prevents me from giving this book a 5* rating are two things:
1. Although it has a great repertoire of moves, many I already knew of, so it wasn't a book that really gave a whole lot of new information
Dana
Oct 04, 2013 rated it liked it
The exercise breakdowns were very scientific. I found it hard to read because of this, and found myself just picking out the highlights of various exercises. That's more because I come from a background where I am not familiar with the anatomical terminology.

I also found this book rather sexist. The author kept pointing out that exercises were important for men to get big and strong, and women to look good in backless dresses and to live up to the current fascination society as with attractive g
Htb2050
Jun 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is different then the others written on the same subject because it goes into anatomy of the exercises and tells you exactly which muscles are being worked on during each exercise. What separates it from others is that it doesn't give you read made routines to follow but actually gives you the basic principles to make your own routines which most other books overlook. It concentrates on individualism in exercises i.e what routines may work for one person may not be right for another so ...more
Leanna Manuel
Sep 26, 2013 rated it really liked it
What a fascinating book. I loved the illustrations and the explanation for the exercises. I can't do most of the recommended exercises due to physical limitations, but in just a few days I have found some exercises to add to my current routine. I highly recommend this to anyone who is bored with going to the gym or wants to change up their fitness routine. Note- I won this book in a Goodreads give-away. I'd like to think I would have purchased it if I had seen it in the bookstore. It is high qua ...more
Mary Ann Merlin
Sep 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good basic book

I like these books. They lay it out so anyone can follow the program. The secret is to actually do the workouts consistently. Any beginner should be comfortable with this book. My husband has been doing cross fit since before it was cool, he swears by body weight conditioning. Good luck. Have at it.
Regina De Los Reyes
Aug 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A lot of good information on using your own body weight to train different parts of the body. I did get lost in how to put a training program together and which types of exercise would balance each movement and not increase muscle mass in only certain areas of the body. Basic information for those wanting to learn different parts of the body and what exercises target each muscle group.
Penny Luo
Mar 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fitness
This is a great book for many of the basic bodyweight strength training exercises. Every page has beautiful illustrations and a detailed explanation of what primary and secondary muscle groups are being targeted in each move, the level of difficulty and possible modifications of each move introduced.
Cheri
Jan 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
An excellent resource.
Rimantas Mėlinis
May 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Very useful and interesting book. excellent information supply
Sharon
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Hard to stay awake by actually reading, but very well done. And just going through illustrations and reading those directions is very useful.
Open Discussion, Add your Questions 1 3 Feb 03, 2017 01:58PM

• Delavier's Mixed Martial Arts Anatomy
  • Stretching Anatomy
  • A Writer's Workbook: Daily Exercises for the Writing Life
  • 21 Days to Master Affirmations
  • Back to Vietnam:  Tours of the Heart
  • Codependency for Dummies
  • Angel Therapy Oracle Cards: A 44-Card Deck and Guidebook
  • Hormonal Balance: How to Lose Weight by Understanding Your Hormones and Metabolism
  • The Little Book of Horse Quotes (Little Quote Books)
  • Winter: An Anthology for the Changing Seasons
  • What If God Were the Sun?
  • How to Raise Your Self-Esteem: The Proven Action-Oriented Approach to Greater Self-Respect and Self-Confidence
  • Get Started in Creative Writing
  • The Depression Workbook: A Guide for Living with Depression and Manic Depression
  • The Aromatherapy Bible: The Definitive Guide to Using Essential Oils
  • Shadows Before Dawn: Finding the Light of Self-Love Through Your Darkest Times
  • Twitter In 30 Minutes: How to connect with interesting people, write great tweets, and find information that's relevant to you.
  • The Tarot Bible: The Definitive Guide to the Cards and Spreads