Start by marking “Coraline. An Adventure too Weird for Words” as Want to Read:
Coraline. An Adventure too Weird for Words

Coraline. An Adventure too Weird for Words

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  383,892 Ratings  ·  15,654 Reviews
'An electrifyingly creepy tale likely to haunt young readers for many moons.... a real bedtime-buster'. Read an exclusive excerpt at BookBrowse today. Reading age approx. 9 yrs +.

The day after they moved in, Coraline went exploring....

In Coraline's family's new flat are twenty-one windows and fourteen doors. Thirteen of the doors open and close.

The fourteenth is locked, a
Audible Audio, Unabridged, 4 pages
Published March 5th 2009 by Bloomsbury (first published August 4th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Coraline. An Adventure too Weird for Words, please sign up.
Long The book and movie were created around the same time. Neil told the director of the movie about his idea before he had actually written the book and…moreThe book and movie were created around the same time. Neil told the director of the movie about his idea before he had actually written the book and allowed him to run with the concept with the two checking in with each other has they wrote their respective adaptations. This is why the general idea and conflict are the same but the execution is done differently. They are both very good but I wouldn't say one is truly better than the other.(less)
Long Coraline is a story that children find magical and empowering while adults find extremely creepy. It's really just a matter of knowing the child (or…moreCoraline is a story that children find magical and empowering while adults find extremely creepy. It's really just a matter of knowing the child (or adult) you are giving it to. I very much enjoyed the movie and book as an adult (for the story and creepy factor) and I've heard many stories where kids read it and felt they were better for it(less)

Patrick
Jun 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've read this book many different times in many different ways.

I read it off the page when it first came out. Later, I listened to Gaiman's narration of the audiobook when I was sequestered in the north woods of Wisconsin in a desperate attempt to finish book two. I watched the movie and enjoyed it.

My most recent experience of the book was listening to it with my little boy on a long car ride. I wasn't sure he'd be able to get into it. Not because of the vocabulary. He's very sharp for being
Nataliya
May 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Gaiman and excellent YA dark fantasy
Coraline is a short but delightfully dark and creepy book that just happens to feature one of my absolute favorite characters. Is it wrong that I want to be Coraline's best friend???

“Because,' she said, 'when you're scared but you still do it anyway, that's brave.”
Coraline is clever, quirky, curious and adventurous, brave and determined, independent, stubborn to no end, a bit reckless and not scared of danger. She will NEVER leave any mysterious doors locked and uninvestigated. In short
Jayson
(A-) 82% | Very Good
Notes: A genuinely disturbing and creepy story with vivid imagery, it’s well-rounded and goes at a perfect pace and length.
Bookdragon Sean
Has anyone ever said to you “time heals all wounds?”

description

Well for the "villain" of this story that is clearly not the case. It’s easy to pinpoint Coraline’s bravery and talk about her experience, but that’s not what this review is about. I want to consider the “other mother” and her story.

I mean what exactly is her story? We can only presume that she has been doing this kind of trickery for years, perhaps even centuries. We don’t really know a great deal about her. She has three victims prior to he
Miranda Reads
Nov 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gaiman, audiobook
I was such a cowardly kid that I never managed to read more than the blurb on the back

Now that I've finally summoned the courage to give it a try - I wish I read it sooner.

I love this novel.

Unlike Gaiman's fiction for adults, every sentence, every word has its purpose. And finally, Gaiman does not throw in some weird sex scene. Can I get a hallelujah?

One especially dull and rainy day traps young Coraline inside the new house. Her parents are busy and she must entertain herself. She finds
Richard
I saw the film before I read the book, which is not how I like to do things, as it can often be like taping a hockey game and having someone tell you the final score before you've had a chance to see the game for yourself. However, I can say that seeing the film first didn't really spoil the book for me.

Coraline starts off rather slowly but this independent, thoughtful, odd, distant, misunderstood child soon gains the reader's sympathy. This becomes more intense as Coraline gets more deeply enm
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
Edit : I'm sorry guys, I won't be able to post the review today because it's already midnight and I was busy :(

REVIEW TO COME TOMORROW.

'She left us here' said one of the voices. 'she stole our hearts, and she stole our souls, and she took our lives away, and she left us here, and she forgot about us in the dark.'

This is a story about a girl named Coraline Jones, She and her parents move to a new house but they don't own all of the house. They just own part of it and they also have neighbors
Cecily
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cecily by: Apatt

This a perfect, traditional fairy* tale, with a slightly surreal twenty-first century warp. The writing is as magical as the plot.

Its thirteen chapters are delightful, dark, and funny, with a heroine many can relate to, as child, parent, or both.

Coraline is intelligent, inquisitive, slightly contrary, hates being bored, and wishes her parents paid her more attention, and didn’t feed her “recipes”. Perhaps, she wishes she had different parents. And you should always be careful what you wish for
Lyn
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Coraline, not Caroline, thank you, the little girl who was small for her age, and found herself in darkest danger was the subject of Neil Gaiman’s 2002 publication, which was in Gaiman’s own words “refreshingly creepy.”

Gaiman said that he started writing the book for his young daughter Holly around the time they moved to America but, unintentionally, wrote it very slowly, “one word at a time” and thus stretched out the project for years. Refreshingly creepy is maybe the best way to describe this
Hannah
Oct 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
This is the perfect Halloween read! It's creepy, eerie, and beautifully written.

Now I want to rewatch the movie! I loved it :D
Carmen
Jan 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Kids; Parents
Coraline was woken by the mid-morning sun, full on her face.

For a moment she felt utterly dislocated. She did not know where she was; she was not entirely sure WHO she was. It is astonishing just how much of what we are can be tied to the beds we wake up in in the morning, and it is astonishing how fragile that can be.

This is like Stephen King's It re-written for children.

I adore Stephen King, obviously, and I highly enjoyed this creepy and horrifying children's book that Gaiman has written.

Cora
Hannah Greendale

Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was so creepy, I loved it.

Full review to come.
Nishat
Coraline is a ravishingly wonderful tale of a brave girl confronting ghastly demons. Opening new doors, she builds an alternate house of monstrous reality, of fear draping the walls, of greed burying love. And now she has to redefine her rusty, curious world.

Coraline charmingly reflects the fears and trials all children experience. The power of evi
C.G. Drews
Who doesn’t like a freaky middle-grade book to snack on (at nighttime) ever once and a while? I was in the mood for something freakish and gothic. I got it. (Plus, writing research for middle-grade books. I am a writer, after all.)

So between taking notes about style and description and length of MG books, I enjoyed the story immensely. A lot of a lot, okay? It’s written in such a simple way. It probably mentions about 3 or 4 times how Coraline is actually feeling. The rest is fact. This happened
Megs ♥

I've been looking for that book that would satisfy my craving to be creeped out, and sadly a few books I tried recently didn't do it for me. I didn't expect anything with this book, and that little shiver down my spine that has been evading me? This book gave it to me!

I was not a huge fan of American Gods, but I promised that I would give Neil Gaiman another shot someday. I figured if I enjoyed anything of his it would be this book. Despite my gripes with American Gods I couldn't deny that I fou
Charlotte May
“Because,’ she said, ‘when you’re scared but you still do it anyway, that’s brave,”

I thoroughly enjoyed this! A quick read that I blitzed through in a couple of hours, but of course it being Gaiman it left behind chills and the fears so prominent in childhood.

Coraline Jones and her parents have moved to a new flat. One with two elderly ladies next door and a crazy old man upstairs, not to mention the black cat who seems to belong to no one.

Having explored everywhere in the surrounding land o
Florence (Lefty) MacIntosh
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone with the heart of a child – Gaiman fans
Recommended to Florence (Lefty) by: Mary MacAskill
Deliciously disturbing, a modern fairytale with a surrealistic feel. I mean you’re stuck in an alternate dimension with parents with sewed on buttons for eyes, friendless except for a talking cat with a bad attitude. Coraline is totally believable; a bored sweet kid who gets herself into and out of a terrifying situation by being gutsy & resourceful. So unless you figure you’ve outgrown fairytales (which is kind of a shame) what’s not to like about it?

Nasty flu & a crummy day at work had
Heather
Nov 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: THE WORLD.
Creepy, creepy, creepy. This book made me feel like I'd just awoken from a disturbing dream I couldn't shake, but couldn't quite remember, either.

And the movie looks terrifying.
Sr3yas
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Neil Gaiman weaves a chillingly beautiful story just as a spider weaves her immaculate web. *Poker face*

This is the tale of young Coraline Jones who moves to her new house with her parents. She is a lively little child who loves to explore and play around. But her parents are very busy and hardly have time to play with her. So, life is pretty much boring for the young lady.

But then, she finds a door.

*Ooh, ooh, does it leads to another world filled with talking animals and wonderful characters?*
karen
Jun 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book makes me really cross i missed the 3d movie when it was out. there are definitely things i would have loved to have seen all up in my face. i think if i had read this as a young girl, it would be one of my favorite books ever. as a (physical) adult, i enjoyed it, but ive read too much in my life to be scared of it, or surprised by it, which is a shame. im going to turn this review into a request for people to scare me. when i was little, my brother would hide under my bed until after i ...more
Robert Beveridge
Jan 21, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: finished, cle-pub-lib
Neil Gaiman, Coraline (Harper, 2002)

I'm not exactly sure what to say about this minor gem. It's a kids' book, but not really a kids' book. It's a fantasy/horror novel, but not a fantasy/horror novel. It has minor similarities to about a hundred books to be found over the ages, both children's and adult, but nothing strong enough to be called an influence (at least, not one that wears its heart on its sleeve). About the best thing I can come up with would be a much darker version of Roald Dahl's
Jadranka

Jedna od najdražih čitalačkih uspomena iz detinjstva mi je Alisa u zemlji čuda, a i jedna od najstrašnijih, da budem iskrena. Mislim da sam prvu noćnu moru u vezi sa nekom knjigom imala baš posle čitanja Alise. Sada se već slabo sećam sna, ali znam da je u njemu bilo i rupe, i zeca, i one strašne Kraljice...
Poprilično godina kasnije uživala sam u mračnoj avanturi jedne druge devojčice. Pošto sam sada starija, zrelija (mada se mnogi ne bi složili sa tim) i hrabrija, ovaj put su noćne more izostal
Dannii Elle

This was dark and witty and theatrical and Gothic and utterly utterly adorable. It was sometimes hard to remember that this was aimed at a younger audience as the beauty of the writing and the dark turns of the plot completely enveloped me. This is my first Neil Gaiman but I know it won't be the last! Instant fan!
Alex ☣ Deranged KittyCat ☣
description

Coraline is my second Neil Gaiman book. Fortunately, the Milk was my first and it didn't impress me much. But this book! I love it. It made me feel many things: frustration, hope, chills etc. I felt like a kid again, listening to a fairy tale.

description

Meet Coraline. She's a girl who feels a little ignored by her parents and seems to have nothing much to do, but just go exploring. She soon finds a door that takes her in a wonderful world where her Other Parents live. They look exactly the same as hers, th
Vane J.

Review also posted here

4.5 out of 5 stars

I had watched the movie Coraline 4 years ago but I never knew it was originally a book until earlier this year. Yeah, I know, it’s shameful, but what can we do? Anyway, since I liked the movie, I told myself I was gonna love the book too, thus I added it to my TBR.

I had forgotten about it until my recent post about quiet and jumpy horror. I wasn’t sure what books to use for the quiet category, so I asked Evelyn and she mentioned this. Obviously, my intri
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
SO glad I got the chance to read this, even if it was for a lame school assignment. I need to pick up more books by Neil Gaiman, he's such a fantastic writer. This story was both whimsical and dark and I had such a time reading it!
Katie.dorny
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
I loved this. I was obsessed with the film when I was younger.
Coralline is the heroine of her own story. After moving into a new flat, Coraline discovers a bricked up door. Upon investigation, she finds another family.
Here in shit goes sideways and adventure ensues.
It's children's creepy and I loved it.
Beatriz
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: popsugar-2017
Reto #10 PopSugar 2017: Un libro con un gato en la portada
Una grata sorpresa. Le había hecho el quite a este libro desde hace mucho tiempo porque la película me había desagradado enormemente, aunque más por el estilo de animación que por el argumento.

Si bien está descrito como un libro infantil, jamás lo recomendaría para niños; la atmósfera que crea Neil Gaiman para su historia es agobiante y muy inquietante, con descripciones que más bien son de pesadilla (no quise ni imaginarme “al otro pad
Councillor

It may seem uninspired to start this review with one of the most famous quotes of the novel, but after all, it does accentuate so well what "Coraline" signifies. Presenting an account of a brave soul confronted with the terrors and fears of childhood fantasies becoming true, Neil Gaiman allows us to get involved with his protagonist, a young girl called Coraline
The R.E.A.D. Book...: June 2018 - Coraline by Neil Gaiman 19 10 Jul 06, 2018 11:08AM
June 2018 - Coraline by Neil Gaiman 1 7 Jun 01, 2018 01:43PM
Coraline 2 8 May 29, 2018 09:57PM
Hume-Fogg Readers: Coraline 1 2 May 17, 2018 07:31PM
Nerds & Encrenque...: Coraline (Abril/2018) 4 18 May 14, 2018 08:46AM
¤ Between The Pag...: Coraline ¤Part 2¤ 1 6 Feb 08, 2018 09:37AM
¤ Between The Pag...: Coraline ¤Part 1¤ 1 6 Feb 08, 2018 09:32AM
  • Tales of Terror from the Black Ship (Tales of Terror, #2)
  • Clockwork
  • The Girl Who Fell Beneath Fairyland and Led the Revels There (Fairyland, #2)
  • A Hat Full of Sky (Discworld, #32; Tiffany Aching, #2)
  • The Tale of Despereaux
  • Castle in the Air (Howl's Moving Castle, #2)
  • Un Lun Dun
  • Courtney Crumrin and the Coven of Mystics (Courtney Crumrin, #2)
  • Dangerous Angels (Weetzie Bat, #1-5)
  • Days of Magic, Nights of War (Abarat, #2)
  • Fergus Crane (Far-Flung Adventures, #1)
  • A Necklace of Raindrops and Other Stories
  • The High King (The Chronicles of Prydain #5)
  • The Graveyard Book, Volume 2
  • Toothiana: Queen of the Tooth Fairy Armies (The Guardians, #3)
  • I, Coriander
  • The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm
  • Skellig (Skellig, #1)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • Midnight Robber
  • Taken (Taken, #1)
    $2.99 $0.99
  • Lion of Senet (Second Sons Trilogy, #1)
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Caves of Steel (Robot, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
  • The Great Glass Sea
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” 40186 likes
“I don't want whatever I want. Nobody does. Not really. What kind of fun would it be if I just got everything I ever wanted just like that, and it didn't mean anything? What then?” 2010 likes