Start by marking “Master of Illusion, Book One” as Want to Read:

Read Book

Master of Illusion, Book One

(Master of Illusion #1)

Murder, Magic, Music and Obsession:

Master of Illusion follows the lives of childhood comrades, Angel and Elise, as they run hand in hand from a history of treachery, heartache and crippling abuse. Under the mask of exceptional talent and in the name of justice, they each grapple with their own damaged version of love and loyalty, while fiercely protecting their terrible se
ebook, 1st Edition
Published April 5th 2013 by StoneHut Publishing (first published April 4th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Master of Illusion, Book One, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Master of Illusion, Book One

Start your review of Master of Illusion, Book One
J
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An historical fiction, set within the opera/ballet scenes of France; Master Of Illusion has a wide scope of believable and loveable characters. With a smattering of basic french phraseology throughout, attention to character development and a scene set for intrigue this novel is one that rises far above the calibre of those currently in the best seller lists. It is a clever, well planned piece of writing that has the ability to become a series of repute.
The author has set upon the literary scene
Kayla Lowe
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm a huge Phan of anything related to the Phantom of the Opera. Suffice it to say that I'm on a mission to read all the Phantom books out there. In doing so, I've read many great ones, but some of them tend to get lost in the shuffle. It's not that they weren't necessarily good books. It's just that they were all the same retellings over and over again. That is certainly not the case with Anne's book.

Master of Illusion stands out. I don't really think of it as a retelling of the tale because i
Kerry
As an avid reader of Historical Fiction (particularly Georgette Heyer and Philippa Gregory), I was pleasantly surprised by this work, by a new and unknown author, Anne Rouen.

I really enjoy this style of writing, and I felt the suspense was conveyed very well. The main characters, Angel and Elise, were introduced very thoroughly, and by following them from childhood, you really get to know them well. Angel idolised the Phantom of the Opera, and you do see how he builds those qualities into his li
LGandT
Mar 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: phantom
This one was different than most I have read. Different in a good way that I enjoyed. It was fast paced, always kept you wanting more and delivering. I liked the many characters. I especially loved the "show" at the end. Excellent. I would recommend this to any Phan. The only problem I had with it, was my French is not what is used to be so I had to keep referring to my dictionary. A small dictionary in the back covering the words and phrases used within the text would have been ideal.

Kme_17
Nov 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I received this a good read. I truly liked this book. I enjoyed all the characters and found them a believable realistic group. It is very well written. I can not wait to read the others in the series.
cobwebbing
Mar 23, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. I give up. I'm going to be extremely frank: this is too amateurish and brain-rotting to even attempt to read as a low-oxygen freebie (I got it for free on Google Play).

The characters, plot (or lack thereof), and writing style very much remind me of something I would've written when I was ten.

It was all dumb but my breaking point was when a throwaway character named Gaston of all things was about to drown some kittens. You... named this character who I'm sure exists purely for this scene...
Doreen
May 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the author's writing style. This book doesn't have a satisfactory ending. Leaves you needing to read book two in order to get answers. ...more
Elisa
Apr 07, 2018
Ariel
rated it did not like it
Nov 29, 2014
Jul 10, 2016
Jackie Williams
Mar 20, 2014
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 06, 2017 09:54AM
Clean Romances: Historical Fiction / Clean Romance Reviewers 1 21 Mar 03, 2016 06:43PM
Clean Romances: Historical Romance Series 1 10 Mar 03, 2016 06:32PM
Global Ebook Award Winner! 2 2 Aug 19, 2014 08:22PM
Read an Ebook Week 1 3 Mar 02, 2014 09:02PM
Phantom of the Opera: Fan Fiction 7 23 Jun 28, 2013 05:44AM

• Deadmen Walking (Deadman's Cross, #1)
  • The Phantom of the Opera Companion
  • RoseBlood
  • The Phantom of the Opera: The Lost Chapter
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition, Vol. 2
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition, Vol. 1
  • Becoming the Dark Prince (Stalking Jack the Ripper, #3.5)
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition, Vol. 3
  • Battle Angel Alita Deluxe Edition, Vol. 4
  • The Hunchback Assignments (The Hunchback Assignments, #1)
  • Undine
  • The Good Eater: The True Story of One Man's Struggle with Binge Eating Disorder
  • Mermania: The Little Book of Mermaids
  • The Nobody
Anne Rouen—the nom de plume of Lynn Newberry—is the award-winning author behind the successful historical fiction series, Master of Illusion and, more recently, a set of standalone contemporary historical fiction romance and suspense novels set in the Australian Outback, starting with Winter at Medora Downs.

Lynn is a retired Australian country woman, currently living in the North-West region of Ne

Master of Illusion (4 books)
  • Master of Illusion, Book Two (Master of Illusion #2)
  • Angel of Song (Master of Illusion, #3)
  • Guardian Angel (Master of Illusion #4)

News & Interviews

Predictions of the future are a sci-fi and fantasy staple, and at Goodreads we certainly spend enough time staring at new and upcoming books to...
“All of them. Fated to love in vain.” 2 likes