Start by marking “A Family for Christmas (Texas Grooms, #3)” as Want to Read:
A Family for Christmas (Texas Grooms, #3)

A Family for Christmas (Texas Grooms #3)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  147 Ratings  ·  25 Reviews
An Unexpected Gift

Eve Pickering knows what it's like to be judged for your past. So she's not about to leave the orphaned boy she's befriended alone in this unfamiliar Texas town. Since Chance Dawson's offer of shelter is the only way to look after Leo, Eve is determined they'll have a warm, welcoming home for the holidays.

Chance came from the big city to make it on his o
Mass Market Paperback, 288 pages
Published October 1st 2013 by Love Inspired (first published January 31st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about A Family for Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family for Christmas

Melissa
Amanda Caldwell
Nov 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Review from The Book Babe.

I know most readers frown upon Harlequin, but I really like these books as of late. I have many of them that I really need to get around to reading. I've enjoyed all that I've read so far. I find that I especially like the two that I've read that are set in the American West, mainly Texas. There's something about Texas that makes it a great setting for books, it's certainly a preferred setting for Christian authors.

A Family For Christmas begins when Eve Pickering travel
Brittany
Sep 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A sweet read for the Thanksgiving and Christmas season. This book spans both holidays and offers a gentle story about acceptance, kindness and the importance of learning to appreciate people for who God made them to be.

Eve Pickering and Chance Dawson both have secrets and family pasts that make them feel that they are failures in certain aspects of their lives. These secrets are heavy burdens on both of them and impact the way they view themselves and others.

In A Family for Christmas, Eve rescue
Fiona Marsden
Sep 22, 2013 rated it liked it
3 1/2 Stars The characters in this book were all sweet and the story was lovely. This is Book 3 in the Texas Grooms series and we get to see the couples from the previous books living in Turnabout, Texas.

The heroine, Eve, is a very introverted young woman lacking self-confidence because of the way her grandmother treated her and the circumstances of her birth.

Chance has his own secrets although he appears at first sight to be a carefree charmer.

When he sees Eve getting all feisty in defence of a
Rachel
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it
I needed something light and sweet to read this christmas...thus I found this lovely christmas story about love and family in a small Texas town. While traveling by train to San Francisco, Eve Pickering gets sidetracked by a young boy in trouble. Seeing the desperate situation and Eve's courage, Chance Dawson offers his home and aid to them both. Though the plot and characters were nothing extraordinary, the faith message was a suttle kind of beautiful throughout. And I loved the way the author ...more
 Mummy Cat Claire
This was a cute, clean read about a single woman who finds herself alone in a strange town. Not exactly what I expected...a bit long but it was ok.

Eve Pickering is on her way to Tyler, Texas, to study under a milliner. It's not something she wants to do but she has been sent by her grandmother. During her train ride, she stands up to a mean conductor who caught a stowaway boy, Leo. Eve takes Leo under her wing and they both find themselves in Turnabout, Texas, in November 1895. Neither of them k
Lisa
Oct 07, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ouab-2013
This is the third in the series, but I did not know that and it read as a standalone very nicely. The strength and determination of Eve is apparent from the beginning, she just sees these traits as a negative. Throughout her life she has been told nothing but negatives about herself by her grandmother who raised her. She has an inherent nurturing spirit that makes her stand up for Leo, a 10 year old boy on his own, and take him under her wing. She tries to deny her inner spirit that she thinks w ...more
Janga
Dec 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
In 1895, Eve Hendricks, with little enthusiasm, is on her way to a job as a milliner’s assistant when she befriends Leo, a young boy traveling alone. When the train conductor, a man who lacks the milk of human kindness, finds that Leo is a stowaway, he ejects him from the train and leaves him at the train depot in Turnabout, Texas. Eve cannot bear to see Leo left with no one to care for him, so she leaves the train too. A Turnabout resident, Chance Dawson, observes the incident and is filled wit ...more
Rhonda
Dec 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 Stars

This is book 3 in the series. I had forgotten that I had read the first in the series a year ago. I liked it. In this book is Chance's story. This book can stand alone but would be better if you read the books in order.

This is a charming good Christmas story. With lots of relationships and good will as people pull together to become a family.

Eve Pickering is on a train traveling to a new town to start a new job when she meets Leo a young stowaway. When Leo is kicked off the train in a sma
Kay (aka) Miss Bates
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Griggs's inspirational, historical romance is a wonderful example of hope and love overcoming fear and shame. Our most likeable hero harbors Eve and Leo, strangers and sojourners, in his adopted town of Turnabout, Texas, a fitting name for a place where one's life turns for the better. This is not a wealthy town to the down-and-out, but a place of love and acceptance. As our hero, Chance Dawson, has flourished here where he'd merely been tolerated by his wealthy and prestigious family in Philade ...more
Lisa  (Bookworm Lisa)
***3.5 stars***

This is a fun book to read for the holidays. The time frame spans between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

Eve makes an impromptu decision when she defends a boy who was a stow away on a train. Her instincts told her that the boy needed her protection and she went with the feeling. What she found was a town full of acceptance and a life of her choosing. She also found that she was of more worth than she was led to believe, and a person worthy to love and be loved.

I enjoyed reading this
Cathy
Sep 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read
Winnie Griggs' romance "A Family for Christmas" gives romance readers exactly what we ask for--happily ever after. The care of a young orphan brings together Eve and Chance. They are both struggling with personal baggage and worry that the community they live in will discover their secrets and see them as damaged. Their united effort to give Leo a happy childhood gives them an opportunity to get to know one another better. If you are looking for a pleasant, clean, Christian romance, this book fi ...more
June
Aug 20, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
Another wonderful Texas Groom story. Chase left Pennsylvania to start over. His father has always criticized anything he's wanted to do. And now that he finally has things seemingly working in his favor, his father shows up in his home turf ready to criticize some more.

Chase has recently met Eve who has enough misgivings of her own to make him more than happy to help her out when she finds herself stranded in town. They work together to solve several issues and soon find that together they can
Renee Ryan
Oct 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Another fabulous story from the incomparable Winnie Griggs. This author knows how to write kids! Leo was so well-drawn and multi-dimensional, not perfect but utterly charming. I also found myself cheering for Eve and Chance from the first chapter, and thought the happy ending was exactly what all three deserved. If you haven't read a book by Winnie Griggs, do so immediately. You'll feel like you've come home!
Susan
Nov 19, 2013 added it
I did not know that this was the third book in a series until after I finished reading it, but that did not take anything away from the story. I really liked the story and enjoyed seeing Eve's character grow and realize that what she thought were weaknesses could actually be strengths. Now I want to go back and read the other two books in series.
Elisabeth
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
Sweet romance, very nice family story. But a little too tame for my taste.
Ingrid
Oct 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
A lighthearted ,quick read.I enjoyed this book.Deals with a couple issues,the main one I think is learning to trust.Sweet story easy to follow with a happy ending of course.
Shawn
Nov 26, 2013 rated it liked it
It was a sweet and charming book. Enjoyed it.
Mandi Morgan
Jul 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
Cute story. Ending seems rushed. But works out ok in the end.
Harlequin Books
"A sentimental story, this return to Turnabout reveals what is happening in this recurring character's life and is quite enjoyable." RT Book Reviews, rated 4 stars

Miniseries: Texas Grooms
Shanda
Dec 27, 2013 added it
Shelves: christmas-books
Review to come.
Megan Williamson
Dec 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Selflessness and true Christ-centered love shows a whole town how the least of these matter as much as anyone.
Harlequin Historical
Jun 03, 2015
Peterolnilla
Nov 10, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Hill Country Cattleman (Brides of Simpson Creek, #6)
  • Carla Kelly's Christmas Collection
  • Finally a Bride (Charity House, #7)
  • The Courting Campaign (The Master Matchmakers, #1)
  • The Secret Princess (Protecting the Crown, #4)
  • Roping the Wrangler (Wyoming Legacy, #1)
  • Healing the Soldier's Heart (Brides of Waterloo, #3)
  • Mail-Order Holiday Brides: Home for Christmas/Snowflakes for Dry Creek
  • Family Lessons (Orphan Train, #1)
  • Married by Christmas (Smoky Mountain Matches, #5)
  • Cozy Christmas
  • The Duke's Marriage Mission (Glass Slipper Brides, #4)
  • Single Dad's Christmas Miracle
  • A Candlelight Courting: A Short Christmas Romance
  • Johanna's Bridegroom (Hannah's Daughters, #6)
  • Twice Loved
  • Her Holiday Hero (Caring Canines, #2)
191160
Winnie Griggs grew up in south Louisiana in an undeveloped area her friends thought of as the very back of beyond. With her two younger siblings and another family of two siblings for playmates, she spent many an hour exploring the overgrown land around her home, cutting jungle trails, building forts and frontier camps, and looking for pirate ships on the nearby bayou.

Once she ‘grew up’ she found
More about Winnie Griggs...

Texas Grooms (10 books)
  • Handpicked Husband (Texas Grooms, #1)
  • The Bride Next Door (Texas Grooms, #2)
  • Lone Star Heiress (Texas Grooms, #4)
  • Her Holiday Family (Texas Grooms, #5)
  • Second Chance Hero (Texas Grooms, #6)
  • The Holiday Courtship (Texas Grooms, #7)
  • Texas Cinderella
  • A Tailor-Made Husband (Texas Grooms #9)
  • Once Upon a Texas Christmas