Start by marking “Second Chances” as Want to Read:
Second Chances

Second Chances

High school can be Hell. Especially when you grow up in a small town where everyone knows your business and you can't avoid the gossip about your past. That's why, as soon as she graduated, Reagan Murphy moved to New York City to start again. Now in her junior year at NYU and with her childhood positioned in the rearview mirror, the future looks limitless. But when she ...more
Published March 7th 2013 by Eliza Lentzski via Amazon (first published March 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Second Chances, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Second Chances

Start your review of Second Chances
Megzz
Dec 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mature-ya
Okay, I have to say I really don't get why the average rating for this book isn't more than 4. It's so much better than so many other romance novels out there.

It has everything I look for in a love story: intense chemistry, angst, jealousy, sexual tension, a perfect pace, a realistic and original storyline with interesting characters, incredibly hot sex scenes, and a happy ending.

Eliza Lentzski is an amazing writer, not only is the book beautifully written, the emotion shows through as well.
Jem
Jul 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: vanilla-romance, y-a
I read this book after liking Winter Jacket a lot. But this is actually Ms. Lentzski's first book. And the quality of the writing shows. The book blurb sounds promising. Two high school enemies on opposite ends of the popularity totem pole meet up accidentally after several years apart.

Allison, a well-to-do ex-cheerleading queen, ex-mean girl and now Ivy-leaguer, used to bully Reagan all through high school. The accidental meeting offers them a chance to reconnect and for Allison make amends for
Farah ファラ
Nov 20, 2018 rated it liked it
My second by Ms.Lentzski, I'm a fan of her 'Sunscreen and Coconuts'

What I liked
- When Raegan and Allison met again 3 years after highschool, they didn't jump onto the chummy bandwagon and became best friends again. What Allison did to Raegan was not easily forgotten hence Raegan remained cautious throughout their rekindled friendship - relationship.

- Raegan
She was a total sweetheart, a vegan, loved and respected her father dearly. She made me finished the book as I wanted her to find someone
Maria
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: lesfic, love-story, nsfw, ff
I don't know if anyone realized but this is faberry fan fiction, thats why it seems there is something missing or some hole on the characterization. The moment i realized it threw me off, it just doesn't do it for me. It also shows that it is the first book of the author since the writing is way better in later books. The premise is encouraging but as i said the characterization was off, I was looking for lesbian romance books that don't always revolve around older women and on that end this ...more
Book Worm
I'm not sure about this one. Too much angst for my taste. And the concept of forgiving someone that was once a friend then tortures one in highschool and then becomes one's love interest is maybe just a bit too alien for me.
Diana
Apr 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I recommend this book. Enjoyable reading, interesting, sweet, hot, even funny, but mostly it keeps you wanting to know more and more until the end.

I give it 4 stars. (You should stop reading now in case you haven't read it yet)

*SPOILER*

From chapter 13 the story got quite unnerving in my opinion.

I was really excited about the whole story, but after this chapter the development of the story was quite frustrating. I personally don't feel too comfortable seeing one of the main characters losing
Kathryn
I really enjoyed this book. Two fems that try to understand their growing attraction to each other. I loved their journey to understanding, acceptance and love.
Megan EM
Dec 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book actually too much. I took note of the irritating dynamics between the MC's towards the end and looked right past it. For some reason this book really struck a chord with me. It had great tension, which I love. Objectively, it was good, but for me it was great!
Kexx
Just couldn't get past their "previous life" & the fact one was so badly bullied by the other yet at page three they agree to go out for a meal. It didn't feel real, and sorry, it never recovered from that.
Maria
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lgbtq
I believe I ran into Second Chances by Eliza Lentzski while buying another book on amazon – it was part of the "customers who bought this item also bought" line-up. Lately it hasn't been that easy to find something new, specially while searching the LGBT section, so I just bought it.

I can't shake off the feeling that something is missing. It's like we land in the middle of this story without knowing exactly where we are coming from or where we are going. Everything is a blur. Perhaps a few
Lunatic
Mar 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance, lesbian, lgbt, f-f
Great story! But it went downhill a bit near the end. The main protagonist was supposed to change into someone who is strong-will, but instead, she actually lower her dignity for Allison's love. Why!??

She gave Allison many chances before. Saying this is the last time, I won't forgive again, this is not gonna work...blah blah blah. But after Allison once more committed another mistake, she still forgave Allison again. So much for empty threat pshhh.

As for Allison, oh my goodness...I think even
Renata
Jun 15, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't know for sure, but I think this was a Faberry (Rachel and Quinn, from Glee) fanfiction previously, wasn't it? It must've been. The more I read, the more I saw Rachel and Quinn in the characters. I wasn't a very big fan of the "couple" (they were never really a couple, despite having a loooot of fans, nothing ever happened between those two) on the show, Quinn was horrible to Rachel (who was my favorite character), so I found myself not liking Allison much here either.

Anyway, the cover
Kageashi
Aug 13, 2013 rated it liked it
Reagan "Prez" Murphy left high school in Michigan and the life of hellish bullies behind and went to New York City to start anew in college. Her high school chief tormenter and former friend, Allison Hoge, went to Brown. A chance encounter at a Broadway show and an unexpected offer of an olive branch from Allison starts a rocky progression between the two towards mending their former friendship and perhaps more.

In the large genre of romance, Second Chances pretty much lines up with what you'd
Jeanne Nicholas
Apr 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Second Chances was a good read and had some fairly hot sex scenes. The age of the characters is 20ish.
Reagan and Allison run into each other in an off chance meeting. Allison bullied Reagan in high school and it turns out she is trying to turn over a new leaf. Now that she's wised up she realizes she has some amends to make.

Plot is pretty simple...hash out some issues between them and in the mean time they find they have some things in common (i.e. romantically). It seems very plausible.

The
Krissy
Apr 07, 2013 rated it liked it
I found this book on Amazons listing, and its seemed liked a good story but was unsure of the genre as it was my first time reading a f/f erotica/ romance book and it was simply amazing.

Let me first say, this book was well written and really brings to life the journey of individuality, independence And one finding themselves in the midst of so many pressures.

I highly recommend and I am looking forward to reading more books from this author as well as more from Allison and Raegan.
Destiny
Jul 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book a lot. The characters were fully fleshed out and I could see things from both of their point of views. The former bully relationship is really interesting to say the least. I would have liked to read more about that.
Jen
Feb 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Entertaining read

Thank goodness that who we were in high school isn't who we grow up to be!!! (My deepest sympathy if you are…)

This story was absolute perfection!!! With every page I read, the more I identified with & felt connected to these characters then the more I became invested in their journey of revealing pieces of themselves & exploring each other— hostages to the pleasure & pain, intoxication & desperation of love.

It was just so realistic & relatable. I appreciate
Charlie Avocado
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: lez-be-honest
Took me a chapter or two to realize it's Faberry Uber. I would've preferred actual fanfic. The hesitancy on the part of "Quinn" drove me nuts. Also needed a final editing pass. Sometimes character names were mixed up, words had the wrong suffixes, and capitalization needed help.

P.S. What happened with Reagan's mother? Suicide was the only thing I could think of that made sense, but they never really addressed it.
Meghan
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this story, but i feel like there were some unanswered questions like Alison and her family. What happened to Reagan's mom and why she left. What do their friends think. Does Allie ever come out.
Cassandra
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the overall pace and plot of the book. The characters were lovable and complex. I guess the only thing that was really off to me would be how quick everything got from being hot to cold like WHAM! What?

But beyond that really, this is a good read.
Meryll
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
Meh

Infuriating. Their relationship was definitely unhealthy. Ending cut short too. Not a fun read at all. Left me with a heavy feeling and not because the story was good it left an impact kind of story. It left me feeling heavy for wasting my time reading the entire thing.
Lynn
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
I find the storyline relatively well-developed and the pacing just right. Rarely do I feel the book draggy and the amount of angst is not too much.
A really enjoyable, hot read.
Hannah
May 10, 2018 rated it did not like it
Shelves: lgbtqi2a
1.5

I usually find Lentzski's books at least slightly realistic, but this one just felt too far fetched.
Kace
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Not sure how it got published with such too many homophone mistakes. Other than that, it was okay.
Janice
Nov 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Good story

Allison's actions are understandable, but heart-breaking. Reagan's responses are, too, in a different way. I love this author - her Winter Jacket series is phenomenal.
Jessi Jameson
Aug 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
reminded me of faberry fanfiction because of the backstory, also the last scene felt a lot like a scene from bloomintong.
Tasha
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Love and Second Chances

This was a beautiful story, I can remember being bullied in school, nothing like Reagan. I can understand her feeling about seeing the person who bullied you years later. I loved the journey that they went on, from becoming friends, to wanting more, but not being ready and being in denial. I am so glad that Allison was able to be who she had always been and didn't have to hide her love.
Jaylee
Apr 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: f-f-books, queer-lit
I have such mixed feelings about this book. It's the story of two girls discovering they like each other (and like girls at all) and trying to figure out what that means. One girl is DEEPLY closeted, and much of their relationship drama has to do with her trying to deny her feelings. It creates a lot of pain and suffering, and I think a lot of my mixed feelings about this book come from how badly one girl treats the other because of this.

The cute scenes are cute, and the girls have very clearly
Tammy
Jun 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was a 3.5 star read for me. I chose this book for my prime book for June. First off, I hate to say it but this book suffers from ugly cover syndrome. It really need an update. I look at the cover and think does this book take place in the 70's? but it mentions Facebook so I know it doesn't but some of the characters attitudes towards coming out and being gay had me questioning exactly when it took place. Reagan is attending college in New York when she has a chance meeting with Allison, a ...more
Ty
Nov 23, 2016 rated it it was ok
I only had to read the first paragraph of this to realize that it was a Faberry fic that I had already read. Of course, it's been changed. Rachel is now Reagan and Quinn is now Allison. They have different interests and slightly different circumstances, but it's them. That means this book is not written for me. As a die hard Faberry fan, all I'll do while reading this is compare the characters to Quinn and Rachel and take note of what's missing. This book is written for other people, who can try ...more

• Breaking Character
  • Dating Sarah Cooper
  • Stars Collide
  • Tricky Wisdom: Year I (Tricky, #1)
  • Just Three Words (Soho Loft, #2)
  • And Playing the Role of Herself
  • Back to the Start
  • The Blind Side of Love
  • Beautiful Dreamer
  • Poppy Jenkins
  • Ready or Not (Soho Loft, #3)
Eliza Lentzski is a historian with a passion for fiction. She writes love stories filled with angst, miscommunication, and the struggle to balance love and an ambitious career. Her characters are not without flaws, but despite these imperfections, they ultimately find their own happy endings.

Eliza calls the Midwest her home, which is often the center of her novels, along with her partner and their