Start by marking “Friends Forever” as Want to Read:
Friends Forever

Friends Forever

3.64  ·  Rating details ·  10,215 ratings  ·  1,202 reviews
Five children meet on the first day of kindergarten. In the years that follow, they become friends and more than friends. Together, they will find strength, meet challenges, face lifes adventures, endure loss, face stark realities, and open their hearts. In this moving novel, #1 New York Times bestselling author Danielle Steel traces their unforgettable journeyfull of ...more
Published June 25th 2013 by Dell (first published 2012)

To ask other readers questions about Friends Forever, please sign up.

·  10,215 ratings  ·  1,202 reviews

Start your review of Friends Forever
Jackie
Sep 19, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
***SPOILER ALERT***

I am usually a big fan of Danille Steel but one book would best describe this book and that word owuld be: Trainwreck!

The story centers around the lives of Izzy, Gabby, Andy, Billy and Sean who meet on the first day of Kindergarten and form a strong friendship. Their family members are also heavily involved in the storyline which makes it very confusing to keep track of who is who in the book. Also one of the main characters (Andy) has a very weak introduction and very weak
Κική
Sep 09, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so bad it's got me writing my first review just to warn people off reading it.

First things first, the writing was bad. Now, good writing can sometimes make up for the lack of a good plot and vice versa, however, in this case, you've got a book that's full of cliches and nothing to distract you from noticing that. Quite the contrary, the author seemed intent on REMINDING everyone how unoriginal the plot was. And I mean that literally.
There wasn't a page in this book that didn't
Suzanne
Dec 24, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The characters and their close friendship really made this book great. They all took different paths and had different personalities but readers can warm to all of them because of this. None came off unlikable and the plot shifts throughout to keep the interests there. An easy, quick read that is enjoyable.
Elle Lothlorien
Sep 08, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who don't mind sad books, people who are grieving and would like company
Recommended to Elle by: no one, found it at library
Okay, I admit it. I'm a sucker for sunsets, romance, and what passes for happy endings in modern day. That's why blockbuster writer Danielle Steele's latest novel, ''Friends Forever' took me by surprise.

'Friends Forever' follows a group of five children who meet the first day of kindergarten at their exclusive San Francisco private school, and vow to become friends for life.

Trouble is, few of their lives get to last particularly long. In fact, these kids fall so far below the expected life
Julie
Dec 16, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book is about a group of friends who become friends in kindergarten and stay close as they grow up. Their mothers are friends, and they all form a kind of family. The premise I read said that they had difficulties growing up and dealing with the real world. I thought there would be drama, romantic angst, and maybe a little tragedy. That's what it sounded like.

I'll start with the good: I couldn't put it down. I liked the characters for the most part, and they seemed like real people,
Fuzaila
This book was not what I expected it to be. It was so much worse. It had a right beginning, a good theme, a meaningful, makes-you-want-to-dig-in-right-away kind of powerful title, but it just doesn't do justice to all of the plus points. I've been thinking of reading Danielle Steele books just to see what all the hype was about. Now I'm not sure I would want to read any of her books ever again.

Don't get me wrong, the book wasn't thaaat bad, but it was just not good. It was in no way realistic,
Melanie
Aug 25, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
Just terrible really - but so much so that it totally has a 'trainwreck' vibe and you feel compelled to finish it to see just how low it will go. (Verdict: pretty damn low.) I literally laughed out loud MULTIPLE times toward the end when the whole thing totally went off the rails. It's entertaining as hell on some level though. Not sure laughing your way through one overwrought, depressing character assassination after another is what she was going for though. lol
Tracy
Dec 02, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition

This is my third or fourth Danielle Steel. I have girlfriends who adore her and so I decided to give her a try since I being an Evanovich follower can admit to loving popular fiction.
She is a good story teller and I can tell why many people like her. She is however, very predictable, with no surprises. However, she has a aggravating habit of being very repetitive. She restates the situation over and over. I found myself yelling at my CD player. " I know, I know! He is dead and that means he
Amanda Cowan
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I knew when I saw this book that it ran the risk of being too generic and broad but I was intrigued by the idea of it. So I read. My main issue is that, while it's an interesting idea, there is just too much going on here. I never felt particularly attached to any character. By the end, I knew better than to get attached to any one character.

I felt pretty bored with the ones she did give us a peak at.

There are a few authors that at one point I enjoyed, but who now seem to be simply following
Suzanne
A good quick easy read, which was good for me after reading a heavier book prior to this. You don't have to think hard of course, and yes, most of the time I couldn't believe how she just tells everything, spoon feeding really.. But as they always do, DS serves a purpose, especially at the hairdressers on a busy Saturday, when I had four hours up my sleeve. An enjoyable story where you still care about the characters, of whom really do have the worst luck, frustratingly unbelievable in that ...more
Allison
Oct 18, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was awful! The writing was atrocious and the story was awful - spoiler alert: EVERY SINGLE PERSON DIES. How does that happen in "realistic" fiction? Truly, if all her books are this terrible, how is Danielle Steel so popular/famous/rich? Rest assured, I will never read one of her books again.
Ronya
Dec 21, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After all the "heavy" reading I've been doing, this one was really light. Maybe too light. But, sometimes, that's just what you need: an easy to read, hard to believe, fast paced novel. Now, back to literary fiction.
Kerri Jones
Jul 05, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel delivers again! Very predictable story line but that's exactly why I read it. I know exactly what to expect and I get it - every time!
Shelly Itkin
Jul 26, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Admission letters from the Atwood School are like getting into Harvard or Yale with the exception that this school goes from kindergarten to twelfth grade. It carries enormous social status and most children who graduate from this school are accepted into the finest colleges including many Ivy League ones.

The first day of school for five children is what this book is about. It focus's on Billy who has his football in hand, next to arrive is Sean holding his toy gun (which was not supposed to
Alicia
Oct 09, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't like this book at all. It was just a brief, tragic synopsis of 5 kids from the ages 5-23. Terrible. Its like reading a book report I might have done in 8th grade...no emotion, no depth, mediocre writing at best and like most 8th grade reports, it was hard to follow. I actually had to write out a little cheat sheet to keep track of who was who, the parents of each kid and their siblings. A complete waste of time for sure.
Alanna Nichols
Nov 24, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first (and last) Danielle Steel novel. It was incredibly poorly written. There is SO much repetition, which made it tedious to read.

The premise of the book was very intriguing, but there are too many characters and she never really develops any of them well enough that you feel attached at all. And all of the death is just ridiculous. I kept reading in hopes that the book would redeem itself, but the ending was far fetched and hard to feel any emotion about.
Amanda
Oct 11, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
this book was awful!!!! not only did the writing sound as though it was written by a third grader, the plot was so bad that not even a third grader would come up with it. do not waste your time on this book. I am truly sorry I did and now I will never get those hours of my life back.
Renee
Aug 21, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I would say this was hands down the worst book I ever read. The book was all over the place with way too many characters, not to mention it was horrible and depressing. so thankful that I finished it.
Annie
Aug 02, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Lori Anaple
Nada
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review first published on my blog: http://memoriesfrombooks.blogspot.com...

I feel like I should begin with a disclaimer. I read Danielle Steel books. I went through a phase of my life when I read through pretty much everything she had written. Then, for a while, I felt that the reality of life went so far beyond these books that they seemed contrived and unreal. Yet, I continued to read them. Recently, I have not particularly liked the books. Yet, when one comes out, I read it. That being said,
Corina
Aug 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why do I even try reading her books anymore? I guess it's because she was once a good writer that I enjoyed.

This one had potential. It's the story of five friends who met on the first day of kindergarten and spans not only their individual families but also 28 years and a lot of tragedy.

Ms. Steele did two things in this novel. First, she spent too much time on tiny, insignificant details. Second, she didn't spend enough time on the more important parts of the stories. I think this caused her to
Carol
Aug 07, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Have not read Danielle Steele in years and this book reminded me why. Writing is very simplistic. I thought the story line was ridiculous--won't ruin for those who want to read.
Jill Burney
Jun 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Danielle Steel is one of my favorite authors. I have been a fan of hers and read many of her novels over the last 30 years. Suffice it to say, I am hooked. My favorite novel of hers was a book called Palomino.

I recently finished her book, Friends Forever. Unfortunately, much of this current book did not engage me.

The story was about five friends who met in kindergarten and become immediate friends through their childhood, teen and college years. They dubbed themselves the Big 5, and became
Allie
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Laura Beth
I came home from work today looking forward to getting immersed in this novel, Friends Forever, by Danielle Steel. I've been a Steel fan for years and while some of her books are sad, there is typically a positive, happy payoff. So after hearing about the senseless CT school shooting almost all day, I thought this would be a good escape. I really don't think I could have possibly picked a worse book to do this. This was an extremely depressing book with almost no let up on bad events. As a ...more
sue
Oct 11, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm only going to give this 4 stars, which is unusual for me, although I enjoyed it, it was written mostly like someone was telling me a story and hardly any conversation in it, I found it hard to follow at times. The story was good, although unbelievable that a group of 5 children growing up and one by one they die in circumstances [totally unrelated to each other] seemed a bit far fetched for me.

I'm glad I read it though or I'd be left 'wanting to read this book'
Iolanda
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary

A slice of Americana. To be honest, a bit of a rambly book at times and not exactly one of the greats but I liked it!

I gelled with it more than I expected to. In fact, theres something about this authors characters I cant put my finger onI have a weakness for her tales; the titles always make them sound so peaches n cream but once youve read whats inside, it causes you to think instead. Shes consistent with that delivery, and why I believe shes still to this day extremely popular.
Loryn
I am mildly torn about how to review this properly. First and foremost, I did enjoy the general plot of the story-- a group of friends and their lives following their meeting in kindergarten through early adulthood (& the triumphs and successes that precede them). This premise was and is intriguing to me, as I tend to really enjoy novels with a handful of main characters and finding out how their lives intertwine. Steel most definitely has a knack for choosing story lines.

However, that is
Lynn
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, on the positive side, Danielle has alleviated a lot of the constant repetition that marked her style in recent books (an obvious way to fill pages), and this book read a lot better as a result. I was engaged right from the beginning to the end.

The thing is, this book is just very sad and morbid. I should have suspected that it would be going in, as she dedicated it to her deceased son, Nick. The book follows the lives and families of five young people who form a friendship in kindergarten
Scrapbook Loving ...: Forever Friends~Danielle Steel 2 2 Feb 03, 2016 09:41AM
Friends Forever 7 72 Jul 17, 2014 08:45AM
Danielle Steel Bo...: Friends Forever 1 11 Nov 20, 2012 09:06PM
Since 1981, Ms. Steel has been a permanent fixture on the New York Times hardcover and paperback bestseller lists. In 1989, she was listed in the Guinness Book of World Records for having at least one of her books on the Times bestseller list for 381 consecutive weeks. But Guinness was premature. The fact is that one or more of Ms. Steel's novels have been on the New York Times bestseller list for ...more