Start by marking “The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)” as Want to Read:
The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)

The Diamond Deep

(Ruby's Song #2)

What if a woman as strong and as complex as Eva Perón began her life as a robot repair assistant threatened by a powerful peacekeeping force that wants to take all she has from her?

The discovery ship, Creative Fire, is on its way home from a multi-generational journey. But home is nothing like the crew expected. They have been gone for generations, and the system they retu
Published October 8th 2013 by Pyr (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Diamond Deep, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Diamond Deep

Start your review of The Diamond Deep (Ruby's Song, #2)
Aug 03, 2015 rated it liked it
10/12 - Intending to skim-read this because, while I thought The Creative Fire was a disappointment I need to see how the duology ends. Will try to limit posts regarding grammar or editing issues. I'm expecting them to be there, just like they were in the first book, but will try my best to ignore them in order to get through the book faster and make the review easier to write. To be continued...

13/12 - Well, I'm surprised! I actually liked this nearly as much as Edge of Dark, probably a 3.5 to
Mogsy (MMOGC)
Sep 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum http://bibliosanctum.blogspot.com/201...

The Diamond Deep was a very pleasant surprise, one of those books that I have a feeling should deserve a lot more attention than it gets. Nevertheless, I'll admit I knew very little about the book when it first came into my possession, and for that reason, I almost relegated it to the "save-for-later" pile. Boy, am I so very glad I didn't.

It was reading the first page containing the Author's Note that first transformed my
Vicki
Jan 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
I accidentally read this second book in the series first! So it explains why I was a little confused about what was going on at first, but I figured you were just being thrown into the environment. It's actually impressive that I was able to follow the story without reading the first book. And I loved it! As soon as I finished, I looked up the author to see what else she's written. That's when I discovered the first book! So I immediately devoured that book and now I'm reading this one again. It ...more
Amloid Mesa
Oct 12, 2016 rated it liked it
not a bad Ya book
Joy
Apr 12, 2016 rated it really liked it
As with the previous book in this series, my disclaimer - I know the author personally and in fact do some research and assistant work for her. I happened to win these books in a raffle before starting work with her, and all opinions written here are my own. :)

This novel opens up soon after the first book left off, as the Creative Fire starts to approach the star system of its genesis, where the generational ship will finally return home. Ruby and her partner Joel must manage the crew of the Fir
Dark Matter
Jan 12, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This and more reviews, interviews etc on Dark Matter Zine, an online magazine. http://www.darkmatterzine.com. This review was written by Rebecca Muir for Dark Matter Zine.

The Diamond Deep is the finale to the two part story begun in The Creative Fire. The old and failing spaceship, Creative Fire, arrives back in its home system and docks at the space station Diamond Deep.

Ruby Martin and Joel North had fought for a united crew to arrive back home, one where every member is recognised. However, li
Henry Lazarus
Dec 14, 2013 rated it it was ok
Brenda Cooper, borrowing a smidgen from Evita Peron’s life continues the tale of Ruby’s Song. The Creative Fire (paper) was a generation ship that explored several stars and now is going home. Ruby led a revolution that destroyed the caste system. Now they enter their very changed home system, survive an attack by pirates and dock at the largest station orbiting the mostly abandoned home planet. The Diamond Deep (trade from Pyr) operates under harsh libertarian rules that offer a short life to t ...more
Mitchell
Multi-generation ship finally comes back to the place it started, its mission mostly forgotten, its destination greatly changed. I'm not sure I've ever read anything with quite this conceit. And inspired by the life of Eva Peron and the musical Evita - which kind of means you read the whole book expecting a particular ending for the lead character Ruby.

Definitely not a YA, unlike the first book. This one goes into the nature of what one instance of life with an untrustable and unfair government
Sidsel Pedersen
Apr 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi, sci-fi_space, 2014
compared to the last book this didn't pack the same emotional punch for me. The treatment of a ultra capitalist society felt a bit too on the nose for me. however I did very much enjoy the book and I liked the addicts dealing with the complexity of navigating a society that you do not fully understand
Michael Hirsch
Jan 08, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Pretty good, but not great story of a generation shop returning home after many generations and trying to adjust to a new life.

The sorry wasn't particularly believable, but the insights into human nature were good. 3.5 stars.
David Marshall
Nov 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
An unoriginal and superficial plot is almost saved by an emotional heart. It's a real shame that the potential for an interesting sociopolitical novel should be thrown away with such poor world-buulding.

Kenneth Flusche
Oct 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
My review of book one says can't wait for book two, yet in the two year wait I forgot book one. Bits and pieces came back from reading reviews and a few more from hints in this story. Try not to read between the lines looking for politics or irony enjoy the story a SINGER for CHANGE.
Mary Mackie
May 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
She is a wonderful writer, she keeps your interest and your anticipation going all the time
Audra J
Aug 04, 2015
Megan
Aug 09, 2017
« previous 1 3 next »

• Salvation Lost (Salvation Sequence #2)
  • Ancestral Night (White Space #1)
  • Edges (Inverted Frontier #1)
  • The Power of Myth
  • Cast in Chaos (Chronicles of Elantra, #6)
  • Cast in Courtlight (Chronicles of Elantra, #2)
  • Cast in Peril (Chronicles of Elantra, #8)
  • Cast in Secret (Chronicles of Elantra, #3)
  • Cast in Fury (Chronicles of Elantra #4)
  • Cast in Ruin (Chronicles of Elantra, #7)
  • Croma Venture (The Spiral Wars #5)
  • Cast in Flame (Chronicles of Elantra, #10)
  • Cast in Sorrow (Chronicles of Elantra, #9)
  • Alternity
  • Call of Fire (Blood of Earth, #2)
  • Cast in Silence (Chronicles of Elantra, #5)
  • Roar of Sky (Blood of Earth #3)
  • The Shattered Court (The Four Arts, #1)
Brenda Cooper writes science fiction,fantasy, and poetry.

Brenda's most recent novels are EDGE of DARK and SPEAR OF LIGHT from Pyr and POST from ESpec Books. Edge of Dark won the 2016 Endeavour Award for a notable science fiction or fantasy novel by a Northwest author.

Other recent novels include the duology THE CREATIVE FIRE and THE DIAMOND DEEP, also from Pyr.

Brenda released two collections in 2

Ruby's Song (2 books)
  • The Creative Fire (Ruby's Song #1)