Start by marking “Vasishta's Yoga” as Want to Read:
Vasishta's Yoga

Swami Venkatesananda

Vasishta's Yoga

From Wikipedia:

Yoga Vasistha (Sanskrit: योग-वासिष्ठ) is a spiritual text written by Srishti Rachaita Lord Valmeki Ji. It is believed by Hindus to contains the answers of all the questions which rise in human's mind. By reading this book one can get the moksha. It recounts a discourse of the sage Vasistha to a young Prince Rama, during a period when the latter is in a dejec
Published 1993 by State University of New York Press

Start your review of Vasishta's Yoga
Randi Hope
Nov 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book of all time!

If I just flip to a random page, I'm going to learn a valuable lesson.

I will keep reading this book forever.
Vaidy
Jul 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There are no two things about this book :)...
I am putting it alongside the Bhagavad Gita, The Ashtavakra Gita and Vivekacudamani By Adi Sankaracharya.
Clearly not for the faint-hearted.
Vidura Barrios
This is a gem of a book, one of the great mystical scriptures from India. It is one of those rare books with extremely high vibrations which have the power of giving one the experience of the divine inside.
It is a very long read but very well worth it. It is the kind of book you can read a little a time right before going to bed and have very sweet dreams.
Renee Knight
I have read the Yoga Vasistha multiple times.

I enjoyed reading it, and recommend that you read no more than a few pages per day. It is recommended in fact to read only one page per day.

I read it in the evening, just before meditation on my first read through, which commenced in Sept. 10, 2001, just before planes flew into the Pentagon, World Trade Centre, and Camp David on Sept. 11. I made a note of it, as it changed our world forever.

Americans now have had a taste of what Indians have been d
Kunal Kalra
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not just a book you read and understand and analyse. Its a book that changes you as you read it - towards a better, more profound, enlightened being. When The Lord Rama himself went through a phase of depression and ignorance, he was enlightened by none other than Guru Vasistha, the son of the Creator Brahma. Through mind-twisting tales and deep revelations, often even contradicting with previous ones, you are set to go through a journey deep into your true nature, where everything disso ...more
Lokesh
Aug 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most refined spiritual scriptures. Talks about Non-duality, Nature of reality, Time & Space as non constant entities, Manifesting existence to be a Play within consciousness.

There is Time travel, World within worlds, Past-Present-Future all existing in the Now. Captivating stuff, interesting stories.

One of my Trinity: Gita, Yoga Vasishta, Tripura Rahasya
Hal
Sep 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully translated spiritual classic, but not for the beginner or the faint-hearted. And some variations in philosophy from the traditional advaita vedanta of Adi Shankara. Still, this book is worth daily reading and contemplation, if you are interested in the subject.
Lachesis
Mar 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Masterpiece of non-duality.
Kiran Bhat
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My pithy reactions to this gem of wisdom.

1) This book reflects how far India has come from the values of its ancient cultures. From the enrichment of the mind to the absolute irrelevance of knowledge, almost everything taught in this book is the opposite of what contemporary teaches its citizens to believe in (ie rote studying, copy-and-paste thinking, and complete obedience to the family, alone).
2) The guru/student dialectic seems to be a useful structuring device for a novel. In many ways, th
Narayan Srivastava
Illustration of Advaita Vedanta through Yoga Vasistha

Great book. Through stories which are beyond comprehension, the subject matter is illustrated and dealt very beautifully. Fully enjoyed to the end.
Jaladhi Bhatt
Jul 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book .. gives your practical insight over suffering and karma based theories. Must read for those who believe in theory of Karma and equilibrium of inevitable experiences of life. Mesmerizing experience..
Andrew
Jul 30, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i read a passage a day and have been doing so for some fifteen months. very nice.
Ashutosh Yadav
Jun 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Its a wonderful collection of the supreme knowledge & is for only those who want to find out about the life & is on the path of moksha.
Meera Srikant
Apr 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's ridiculous to rate this book because it is way beyond it. Took me two years of broken reading to complete this, but I am hope I am wiser. ...more
Olya Chizh
Aug 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The strangest thing one can ever do is evaluate a sacred text.
Ruchika Lal
Feb 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Must Read
Sri Joydip
Mar 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not just a book , this is a living presence . The Author has done a great job by compiling teachings in the most lucid and understandable way.
Ymiracle
Aug 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I've been reading this book for 15 years or so. I haven't actually finished it, but even if I had I would still be reading it. Every portion of it is worth meditating on, and it has been a rock I can brace myself against when the vagaries of life stagger me. Ultimately what I've gotten out of it can be distilled into a short quip (which I will not share; you may get something completely different out of this and I would not derail your journey with a tepid remark), but the value in this book is ...more
Shiva Somadev
May 23, 2020 rated it it was amazing
A priceless gem of spiritual literature! Five Stars!
Absolutely must-read for any serious spiritual seeker. This fascinating and voluminous book is not only packed with the Highest Wisdom, but it is written in the form of amazing stories and parables weaving together a breath-taking tapestry. If you serious in your search for the Ultimate, you simply cannot allow yourself to miss this spiritual masterpiece!
Kaushal Tikku
Dec 26, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a book that you can "finish" reading. One has to keep reading it over and over again and more importantly follow its teachings if one wishes to derive the maximum benefit from it. ...more
Ken Hastings
Mar 25, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
❤️
Tomas
Nov 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
istorijos ir neo advaita mokymai - idomu
Tya
Oct 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will always be reading this book.
Purush

• The Yoga Sutras
  • 365 Tao: Daily Meditations
  • Plunder: A Memoir of Family Property and Nazi Treasure
  • Photo Shop Murder
  • The Wim Hof Method: Own Your Mind, Master Your Biology, and Activate Your Full Human Potential
  • Introduction to Vedanta
  • A Series of Lessons in Raja Yoga
  • A Series of Lessons in Gnani Yoga
  • The Bhagavad Gita
  • Wonders of the Natural Mind: The Essence of Dzogchen in the Native Bon Tradition of Tibet
  • The Last Flight
  • The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment
  • History of Beauty
  • Dali
  • Parable of the Talents (Earthseed, #2)
  • Letting Go: The Pathway To Surrender

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Swami Venkatesananda (Parthsarathy as he was known then) was born in Tanjore on December 29th, 1921, to a South Indian Brahmin family. He learned Sanskrit at an early age from his uncle and grandfather, and used to love to take part in religious observances. He was not only scholarly but full of fun (a trait which endeared him in later life when, as a Swami, he travelled in the West, illustrating ...more

News & Interviews