Start by marking “Entering the High Holy Days: A Complete Guide to the History, Prayers, and Themes” as Want to Read:

The High Holy Days--Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur--are for many Jews the highlight of the Jewish year. The liturgy for the Days of Awe are the longest and most complex of the year, leaving a large number of attendees without a complete understanding of the occasion's significance.

Entering The High Holy Days provides historical background and interpretation of the ideas, pr
Published July 1st 2005 by The Jewish Publication Society

To ask other readers questions about Entering the High Holy Days, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Entering the High Holy Days

Start your review of Entering the High Holy Days: A Complete Guide to the History, Prayers, and Themes
Margaret Klein
Jul 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
This book is a very helpful book for adding knowledge behind the prayers of the High Holiday season. While there is not much in terms of kavanot (intention), it does a great job in helping us understand the historical significance and context of many of the prayers. This was my second time reading the book. Initially I picked it up to better understand Seder Avodah. Then found I used it all the way through the season. For explaining Kol Nidre, Unetaneh Tokef, Yizkor, Eileh Ezcarah and Selichot. ...more
Laurie Siegel
Oct 11, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Modern interpretation of ancient customs

This was an excellent overview of the High Holidays-their meaning and history. It answers many of the questions that arise regarding why we carry out these customs.
Rachel
Oct 01, 2019 rated it liked it
3.5
Dmcconkey
Oct 11, 2008 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this read very much. It gives the history of the High Holy Days: from Rosh Hoshanah until the Day of Atonement from Biblical times and how it has evolved till present days. It also gives a detailed of the order and composition of the services during these special days in the Jewish calendar. I highly recommend this book, one you will read and return to for reference often.
Patrick
Sep 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: judaica
A fantastic guide to understanding and preparing for Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur services. Best read with a machzor at your side for reference.
Ben Kintisch
Time for yontif? Read this and you won't be so bored during High Holiday services. Or maybe less bored? No guarantees, but Hammer rules. ...more
Kimalee

• Man Is Not Alone: A Philosophy of Religion
  • Putting God Second: How to Save Religion from Itself
  • The Talmud and the Internet: A Journey between Worlds
  • Not In Heaven: The Nature And Function Of Halakha
  • A Letter in the Scroll: Understanding Our Jewish Identity and Exploring the Legacy of the World's Oldest Religion
  • My Jewish Year: 18 Holidays, One Wondering Jew
  • God: A Biography
  • Small Victories: Spotting Improbable Moments of Grace
  • Almost Everything: Notes on Hope
  • Jewish Way in Death and Mourning
  • Saying Kaddish: How to Comfort the Dying, Bury the Dead, and Mourn as a Jew
  • Stitches: A Handbook on Meaning, Hope, and Repair
  • My People's Prayer Book, Vol. 1: The Sh'ma and Its Blessings
  • Jewish Theology in Our Time: A New Generation Explores the Foundations and Future of Jewish Belief
  • My People's Prayer Book, Vol. 2: The Amidah
  • Relational Judaism: Using the Power of Relationships to Transform the Jewish Community

News & Interviews