Start by marking “88” as Want to Read:

4.34  ·  Rating details ·  35 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
**This book is out of print and no longer available. I've rewritten and re-edited the novel and have re-released it as GHOSTS OF TOMORROW. There are several new scenes, and a new ending.***

The dream of Artificial Intelligence is dead and the human mind is now the ultimate processing machine. Demand is high, but few are willing to sacrifice their lives to become computers.
Paperback, First Edition, 400 pages
Published June 1st 2013 by Five Rivers Publishing (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about 88, please sign up.
Michael Fletcher My apologies for not seeing this earlier. The book is no longer available and rights have reverted to me. I am currently rewriting and editing and…moreMy apologies for not seeing this earlier. The book is no longer available and rights have reverted to me. I am currently rewriting and editing and will likely publish it in Feb 2017 as Ablation Cascade.(less)
Michael Fletcher Damn. I haven't looked at this book in months.

Here are a few suggestions...

Hardwired - Walter Jon Williams - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

…more
Damn. I haven't looked at this book in months.

Here are a few suggestions...

Hardwired - Walter Jon Williams - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/3...

Days of Atonement (also WJW) - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/5...

Actually, read anything by him.

When Gravity Fails (and the entire series) by George Alec Effinger - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1...

And Snow Crash by Neil Stephenson (less)

Michael Fletcher
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-publications
I think this book is brilliant. But then I wrote it, so I probably can't be trusted.
Crashandburn
Jul 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I found this book here, on Goodreads, which I’m new to. Great site, great recommendation!
This is a book set in the near future in a dystopian and utterly believable world. The reader follows a special agent named Griffin Dickinson through a maze of intricate settings (from mafia strongholds to antiseptic government office buildings) as he investigates the blackmarket use of young children as fodder for the newest in computer systems.
Michael R. Fletcher’s ideas are imaginative and compelling. Hi
Michell Plested
Jun 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is a certain amount of risk to writing about the near-future. Do the events, setting and technologies ring true? Could society have gone down the paths to get to that point in time? Are there still enough familiar elements to allow the reader to bridge the gap in time in his or her mind?

In case my introduction wasn't enough of a hint, let me be clear, 88 is a near future, dystopian science fiction novel. Set in the ravaged world of 2034, 88 is the story of a technology that has been horrib
Ryan Hennessey
Oct 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first sci-fi book in a very long time, and I was skeptical of my capability to grasp the genre. My sister recommended it to me and I grew up with the author (hadn't spoken to him in about 20 years though) so I had to give it an honest shot.
I'm very very glad I did. It's an insanely enjoyable read, regardless of the bleakness of the dystopian near-future. The plot moves quickly, it essentially never lets up once things get rolling, which is basically right off the bat.
The book doesn't get bogg
Timothy Gwyn
Jan 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
In 2034, your mind can be saved if your body is lost. Most of your mind, anyway. For a young soldier whose body is destroyed by a mine, the choice is one-sided: become a scan, with a twenty-year military contract as a killing machine, or be terminated. But there is also a black market, and things there are worse. Children are bred just to provide intelligent machines, and to live as slaves. 88 is one those, but she is autistic. Now free of distractions and with wide access to computer networks, ...more
Nikki
I received this from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program. It turned out to be not exactly for me, but it's reasonably well written (albeit with some editing errors/typos, e.g. "tobacco sauce", presumably for "Tabasco sauce"?) and its scenes of horror are evocative and pointed. (Or I, at least, felt it had serious social relevance in places.)

There's a lot of gore and a fair few fight scenes, and some really quite disturbing characters (e.g. a guy who has two dozen of his best employees kille
Nikolai Tsekov
Jul 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I just can't get rid of the desire to read more books like 88, it's like itch I can't scratch. 88 has this feeling into it that rings so many bells for me. I'm Corvus Belli's Infinity player, the remote presence thing and hopping into bodies makes sense. I liked Jacob Holo's Dragons of Jupiter, so futuristic warriors sound appealing. I've read a lot of Malazan books, so the philosophical and overly distant approach to characterization sets a tune I loved elsewhere. I love Peter Watt's Rifters se ...more
Suzanne Lucas
Apr 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
In a world not too far into the future (year 2034, to be exact), humans can gain immortality. It’s simply a matter of killing them, digitizing their brains and implanting them into machinery and equipment such as computers, drones, helicopters and robots. From there, they become high-performing “Scans” with highly advanced data and sensory processing capabilities, capable of superhuman feats.

The downside is that not everyone is keen on giving up their physical bodies to live the rest of their im
Iain
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle
Quick review as I gave so little free time these days. Disclaimer first of all - I got a freebie copy of the book. However, if I don't like something I'll say so. I didn't not like this!

"88" starts off in a cyber-future but unlike some books of the genre that seem to have their own language based vaguely on English, "88" is very readable. The "science" part is introduced smoothly and easily so that it allows the reads to focus on the "fiction" part.

It's a good story with a nice bit of a moral qu
K.L. Neidecker
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ebooks
This book has it all, folks. Dystopian overtones (not dwelled upon, but there), rogue programs, a haggard agent fighting something that may be too large for him, *assassin samurai mechs*.

I loved this novel. The writing is tight and professional, the action sharp and defined, the characters bleeding personality all over the pages. This is a fast paced book, with a hefty number of sub-plots that all intertwine and become all the more important as the story progresses.

To sum it up, allow me to quot
Rich Height
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing
when a good friend of mine suggested this book, I was a little skeptical as I tend to read more fantasy than SF by a larger margin. But I am thankful that I wasn't steered wrong on this fast-paced, engrossing read. 88 captivated me like not many other books I have read and I was sad to come to the ending so quickly. The only good thing about finishing this book so quickly is that I now can get to bed before the wee hours of the morning! I cannot wait for the sequel and see where the future lies ...more
Hard Times
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book starts strong and gathers momentum right to the end. I can't wait to see what he writes next!
Saretta
May 30, 2013 rated it it was ok
Letto per il programma Early Reviewers di Librarything.
Il romanzo è ambientato in un futuro in cui è possibile salvare la propria coscienza e continuare a esistere sul piano virtuale liberandosi della caducità del corpo.
Questa possibilità ha però dei contrappassi illegali: bambini - autistici o con particolari capacità di calcolo - che vengono spinti a diventare al pari di super computer acquistabili poi da clienti privati.
Il romanzo riprende temi presenti anche in romanzi di fantascienza più fa
Shelby Toren
Jun 04, 2013 rated it liked it
I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program.
88 is the story of machine/humans called Scans. It is told from the perspective of these creatures both before and after they were turned from a human into a Scan.
I liked the story, but for some reason I had a really hard time "getting into it". Additionally, I had a very hard time understanding some parts. The ideas discussed were very foreign to me, and I didn't really understand how the virtual realities worked or what was
Carol Brannigan
Jun 28, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: e-book, er-arc
I struggled to get into the story but once all the main players were introduced it sucked me in. The Sci-Fi aspect was done well - I'm sure there are similar scenarios out there but not quite with the twist that I am aware of.

This book really got me thinking - especially since the basic plot isn't so far fetched. Its a bit scary in a way.

Once I got past the who is who and who is what I found the book enjoyable. Well as enjoyable as a drab dystopian view of the world can be.

I would recommend an
Julie
Oct 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Michael Fletcher does an amazing job of creating digital characters we can root for and human characters whose demise is satisfying. The premise of human mind/machine body makes a good playground to explore questions such as: What makes us human? and How much difference is there between perception and reality?" I look forward to reading more by Fletcher.
Adam Stephens
Mar 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simply loved this book. Thoughtful, intelligent, visceral. I couldn't put it down.
Nicole Luiken
Another Sunburst Award read, so no rating or review.
Rbs
Scott Meyer
Jun 10, 2014
John Rappel
Jan 18, 2016
Michael R. Fletcher is a science fiction and fantasy author. His novel, BEYOND REDEMPTION, a work of dark fantasy and rampant delusion, was published by HARPER Voyager on June 16th, 2015.

THE MIRROR'S TRUTH, the sequel to BEYOND REDEMPTION, is now available!

SWARM AND STEEL is being published by Talos Press and is slated for release in August 2017.

Michael is represented by Cameron McClure of the Don