Start by marking “Captive (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1.1)” as Want to Read:
Captive (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1.1)

Captive

(Guards of the Shadowlands #1.1)

In this thrilling short story set in the world of Sarah Fine’s novel Sanctum, Malachi rescues a mysterious girl from one of his own Guards, who’s convinced she’s a Mazikin. Malachi can tell she isn’t, but she’s not an ordinary citizen of the dark city, either. He only knows one thing for sure—she’s dangerous, and to more than just his mission. The captive’s fate is in his ...more
Published April 15th 2013 by Skyscape (first published March 18th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Captive, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Captive

Start your review of Captive (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1.1)
Helena of Eretz ✰
Well that wasn’t NEARLY long enough :(
Alexa
Apr 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing

You can also read this mini-review on my blog Collections.

I've been on a Malachi high lately. First it was all of his journal entries (if you've read Santcum, book one of the Guards of the Shadowlands series, you'll know that he has tons of journals that he's written in over the years since he's been in the Shadowlands) that can be found regularly updated on the Guards of the Shadowlands Tumblr page. And now there's this short story Captive!

Captive takes place during Sanctum where Malachi as Cap
Kitty (I solemnly swear that I am up to no good)
This book lacked the bite the other books had, maybe it is because Malachi is a bit boring? Yup that is it, Malachi, your life is tragic but you could lighten up a bit...also I am still very mad about the last book.

description

Anyway I would not bother reading this, even if you love the series as much as I do.

Sorryish to Sarah Fine, I still love your writing.

description

Amanda (.---.--.-...-)
Apr 05, 2013 rated it really liked it

Okay, this was only a few pages and I knew that going in. Normally I'd feel weird even rating something so short but I just really liked to hear from Malachi. I can't wait for Fractured...and Malachi.

If you haven't read Sanctum, I'd highly recommend you jump it up your TBR list before Fractured is released. IMHO.
Tandie
I feel the same way about this as I felt about Free Four. We got a tiny glimpse of Divergent from Four's perspective. Here we get a teensy weensy peek of a single interaction in Shadowlands from Malachi's POV. Not a short story. No new information. Wait, I take that back. I now know that Malachi saw somebody's boobies :-D

I think authors should put these itty bitty things on their blogs for FREEEE. SF has Malachi's journal entries on her blog & they're pretty cool.
Tamara
Damn, no new information. I wish the book revealed much more about the world or the story. When it's done right, short stories can add something unique to the series or make you see a different side of the character (One of the best examples;Brooke)

Dont get me wrong, I DİD enjoy Malachi's perspective A LOT but since it was way too short I've felt cheated a little bit. The moment when I got excited, when I was looking forward to seeing him interacting with Lela, seeing the first meeting from his
Stacia (the 2010 club)
Apr 05, 2013 marked it as to-read
More Malachi goodness? Do Want.

Now off to find out where to get a copy of this. It's been out for half a month and no one's been adding it on GR, not even the fans? What kind of shenanigans is this?
Liz
Oct 08, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: ya, para-norm, uf, short
A brief interlude at the beginning of Sanctum from Malachi's POV when Lela was brought into the guards outpost. We get to see how quickly he realizes there is something different, something 'alive' about her and unlike any other denizen of the Shadowlands.
Sarah Elizabeth
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
This short story gave us a great insight into Malachi, and made him seem a lot more human. I found that it was really easy to empathise with Malachi in this story, and I enjoyed it more than I enjoyed the first book in the series!
8 out of 10.
EmeraldMeadow
Aug 05, 2014 rated it liked it
Well, that could have been about 150 pages longer....... What tiny, little bit was there was GREAT, but seriously, I wanted so much more!
DarcLibrarian
Nov 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Malachi's POV

This is a short story told from Malachi's point of view. After listening to the Guards of the Shadowlands trilogy it was really interesting to find out what motivated him as well as what he was thinking and feeling during the first meeting with Lela. To really understand our hero I would suggest reading this book after Sanctum as a bonus scene. I read this book for free with Kindle Unlimited.
Charisma
Jan 11, 2018 rated it it was ok
I agree with a few other comments that the book was way too short and didn't give any interesting, previously unknown/unexpected details. So glad, I didn't buy it. Would have been disappointed. Think that this story is best presented for free on author's site. That would be more fair to everyone, IMHO.
Christine Bishop
Jan 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Interesting short story

Captive is a short story from Malachi's perspective of the first time he met Lela. It was an interesting read. I wish it was a little longer but still worth the read.
Carol
Mar 01, 2020 rated it really liked it
Good if not short point of view I love this series and will read anything from it I can get my hands on.
Mirnatius
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it
Shelves: bipoc-li, g-slur, bipoc-mc
TW/CW:
Violence, gore, g-slur, grief.

Pretty good! I love Malachi so much, at least from just the first book. I hope that stays true as I continue. But yes, Malachi. 🥺
Stephanie Serrano Hargrove
Oct 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Great Story

Just a little insight into how Malachi felt when he first met Lela. Enjoyed the insight. Would love to see where Jim ended up. And how Sasha found Henry.
Kate ✨ is a dreamer
Jun 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
No matter what happened now, no matter who she turned out to be, something had shifted inside of him. He could feel it in the uncertain rhythm of his heart, the unfamiliar heat in his blood, the snap of tension in his muscles, the strange clutter in his normally ordered thoughts.

This is from Malachi's POV, but has more "musings" than reenacting's of the scenes which I was kind of disappointed about but not really because then we got to see a bit inside his head.
Rating
4 stars
[...]she smelled lik
Alicia Batista (Addicted Readers)

4 Stars

Ooh, CAPTIVE, how you made me love Malachi so, soooo, much more!! You brought out all the amazing characterize traits and all his alluring sex appeal, and made me fall so much more in love with him! Real or not, Malachi's my dream guy!!!

In CAPTIVE, we get Malachi's POV from a few chapters in SANCTUM. It's only about 23 pages, but was still more then enough to have me loving Malachi so much more! He's strong and tough when needed. He's a protector and leader to his guards. He's feared an
Marie
Aug 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Captive is a novella that fits in between Sanctum and Fractured in the Guards of the Shadowlands series by Sarah Fine.

Novellas that fit between books in a series can so easily go one of two ways: they can help fill in blanks and advance the story, or they can simply be recaps of events from a different character's perspective. Captive fits in the latter category. That is NOT to say that it's not worth reading! Captive is from Malachi's perspective, and anyone who's read Sanctum was probably left
Steph
Captive is a short told from Malachi's perspective. We learn what he was doing when Lela is captured in Sanctum and how caught off guard he is by her strength.
She was a girl. Not the prettiest he'd ever seen, but there was something about her that made him want to stare for hours. Something mysterious and challenging. Something unbreakable and defiant.
He's unsure how to proceed. Cautiously, most definitely.
Mlpmom (Book Reviewer)
Sep 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
*So good! Full review to come*

EDIT-
I don't always post reviews on my blog of novellas, unless of course, they are outrageously, ridiculously good. Hence, why I am posting one today.

It has to be said, Sarah is an amazing author. Her rich detail and mind blowing ability to create a devastatingly dark depressing world that is so vivid is just outstanding. And the simple fact that even though the world she created is terrifying, you still want to be there, because hey, that world had Malachi and oh
J.
Malachi really is one of my favorite male main characters of all time. I usually find short stories set in the universe of a larger series somewhat pointless and not always that interesting, but because a) I really like Malachi, b) Fine actually wrote from his perspective about something I didn't need to know, but had genuinely been a bit curious about/was glad to be indulged in, and c) she used the third person, it worked out pretty well. I like that she wasn't overly dramatic, but while it doe ...more
Jean ~ Kindle Queen
May 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: kindle-lendable
2.5 stars. Meh. No new information here really - just the capture of Lela from Malachi's viewpoint. In fact, it reinforced the whole love-at-first-sight thing that I usually don't like. Overall, Captive doesn't really add anything to Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1) by Sarah Fine and can be skipped in my opinion. ...more
tammy
Jan 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Gratifying yet unsatisfying

I enjoyed the short voyage through Malachi's eyes....it was enough to satisfy the thirst after the second book...but it won't last until October! Sarah has done an incredible job unraveling the mystery, the desire, the longing at a pace that encompasses one's mind and leaves them wanting more.
Caroline Abernethy
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Short poverty from Malachi

I wish I'd noticed this after I had read the first book. It's just a short chapter, but it gives you a little background to Malachie's situation at the start of the book. I got this as part of Kindle Unlimited so it didn't cost anything to download this short section.
Dec 30, 2013 rated it really liked it
Great book from Malachi POV -- really satisfies the craving to hear what is going on in his head :-). Also check out his journal entries that can be found regularly updated on the Guards of the Shadowlands Tumblr page.
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
I feel like this was a tease. I love Malachi and would like to see more from his POV but this stops right at the moment I'm most interested. That sense of let down is the difference for me between 3 and 4 stars
Bel
Jun 21, 2015 rated it it was ok
It was okay but could have been so much better. When authors can get books like Grey published and that's a load of crap, it's a shame good authors don't take the time to do the same. I paid 99p on kindle and its 23 pages long. It didn't take the story any further or give it any more depth.
Stephanie
Apr 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Very short, just a brief look at the Lela's initial capture by the guards from Malachi's point of view. Not much too it, but it is cool to get a peek inside his head.
Mina
Apr 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2013
Very quick read and there wasn't much new revealed here. That said, it's awesome to get more Malachi and I can't wait for the next book.

• Dronish (Walker Saga, #6)
  • Earth (Walker Saga, #7)
  • The Hunter (Boston Belles, #1)
  • Capturing the Bride (The Kidnap Club, #1)
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
  • Stealing the Heiress (The Kidnap Club Book 2)
  • The Lost Book of the White (The Eldest Curses, #2)
  • World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
  • Under Different Stars (Kricket, #1)
  • Taking the Spinster (The Kidnap Club Book 3)
  • The Necklace (Archer Family, 0.5)
  • Flames of Chaos (Legacy of the Nine Realms, #1)
  • A Sinister Establishment (Beatrice Hyde-Clare Mysteries, #6)
  • Sweet Temptation (Sweet, #4)
  • PERSUASION
  • Recon (The Fringe, #1)
  • Exposure (The Fringe #2)
  • Night of the Dragon (Shadow of the Fox, #3)
When I'm not writing, I'm psychologizing (really, I even get a paycheck for it). Sometimes I do both at the same time. The results are unpredictable.

To receive updates on new releases, sales, and bonus material, go to http://sarahfinebooks.com/ and click at the top of the page to sign up for the newsletter.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SarahFineBooks/

Instagram: Sarah.e.fine

Guards of the Shadowlands (3 books)
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
  • Chaos (Guards of the Shadowlands, #3)