Start by marking “The Boron Letters” as Want to Read:
The Boron Letters

The Boron Letters

Series of letters written by copywriting legend Gary C. Halbert explaining the secrets to effect marketing.
Published (first published February 27th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Boron Letters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Boron Letters

Greg Seguin
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good marketing primer that doles out marketing advice as well as some pretty decent life advice.

Two nitpicks on this book:

(1) It's dated. Halbert was a whiz in direct mail marketing, and the writing shows its age. His son, also in the copywriting biz, does his best to update it for the digital age but the book should be read as foundational rather than a source of the latest and greatest tips.

(2) Every few pages has a cross-sell of some other Halbert product on their website. The book could have
Shamanth
Dec 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Great copywriting/selling is hardly about the writing. It is way more about the preparation that goes into writing.
- Choosing a list.
- Deciding an offer.
- Picking a great product to sell.
- Researching what a list/market wants.

This is true no matter what the medium is - a 70s newspaper or a present day smartphone screen.
Andrew
Mar 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
A surprising amount of just 'life lessons' as opposed to marketing techniques. I really enjoy how personal these letters are and I found them very entertaining to read outside of just being educational.

I wish there were more though. After the 25 letters, I really want to read the more formalized book he mentions he wanted to write. Does anyone know if he did write anything like the book he discusses wanting to do?

One of my favourite take-aways from this book written by a father to his son, is h
C. Spencer Reynolds
Laborious reading and so dated...

We read this in our Book club and although there were a few good points in the book, all-in-all I would not recommend it to others as a good read. If you are a marketing type and want some of his insights then certainly a book worth some of your time, but not for the average gal/guy out there to invest your time with!
Atman Pandya
Nov 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Written by 'history's greatest copywriter' Gary Halbert, this book is a collection of letters from a father to his adolescent son. In these letters, Halbert teaches his 16-year old the importance of 'road-work', a strong work ethic and the inside secrets of great advertising.

There are some gems in these letters and the fatherly conversational tone makes them all the more endearing. I especially loved some of the ideas on how to grab and hold attention in direct mailers.

While the book is a bit da
Ryan
Jun 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: advertising, business
I read the Boron letters on my trip to Vegas for a CXO event. It happened to fall on Halbert's birthday. I didn't know that until after I was reading the book.

I also just finished reading Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse-Five. Halbert mentions that Vonnegut has some of the clearest writing, and that Breakfast of Champions is worth reading. I didn't like that book, but maybe I should reread it.

Anyway, I really enjoyed The Boron Letters. I've always loved Halbert's writing style. The book focuses on some
Corey Constable
Jan 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
These letters to Bond were an excellent base to build off of for entering into the field of copywriting. They were personal, humorous, and insightful. While they may seem a bit outdated, the principles within can be carried over into the digital age with just a little bit of ingenuity. The subject line is the new envelope, the link title is the new bag of soil, etc. I look forward to reading the other titles he recommended.
Aurimas Mikalauskas
Jan 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I had no idea where this book will lead me. It was supposed to be about direct marketing and mail oder business but it was way more than that. I love Gary's style of telling stories and getting really emotional when he feels like it. Even if it sometimes it has nothing to do with the point he is making. I'm re-reading it again now. Why wait?
Madhav Sekar
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing
very gud book on copywriting and such
Ellis Morning
Nov 07, 2015 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable letters from father to son with candid revelations, advice for personal improvement, and interesting sales tricks.
Mark Manderson
Nov 08, 2018 rated it liked it
A positive addiction is simply being addicted to something that improves the quality of your life.

A negative addiction is being addicted to something that lowers the quality of your life.

HOW YOU FEEL AFFECTS HOW YOU THINK!

Try everything multiple times.

Go over your plans again and again daily as they will become more and more clear.

The money is where the enthusiasm is. When hiring someone always look for the most enthusiastic one, not necessarily the most qualified.

Be a student of the markets a
Edd Thompson
Jul 24, 2017 rated it liked it
I have just finished the book. That is the quickest I have ever read a book. It is a good format for a book and is easy to whizz through. As a small business owner looking to improve his copywriting, I am slightly disappointed with the description of the book and what is actually inside it. There are some wise words about copywriting and selling your ideas which are very useful.

If you want a book that outlines the steps of making money via direct mail along with general self-help advice and som
Tim Miller
Apr 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Boron Letters is marketed as an insightful look into the world of writing copy. The reality is, it’s a series of letters, written from a father in prison, to his teenage son. Yes there’s a lot about writing copy—Gary Halbert was said to be one of the greatest copywriters of all time, but I saw a lot more life lessons that anything else. This book is a father, attempting to instill valuable life lessons to his son. There’s advice about fitness, psychological & social well-being, even some phi ...more
Leticia
Apr 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have only read this once, so can’t really write much about it yet. Like the Robert Collier Letter Book, it needs to be read and digested over, and over, and over again.

Having said that, it’s one of the best works on the topic I’ve read since... well. Since the Robert Collier Letter Book.

Some other reviews note that this is dated. Sure, it’s dated. So are the updates. The point is that all of these things still work, and if you apply the core principles to any format, in any market, it’s still
H.L. Goyer
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read this book twice in a row. If you're the sort of person that loves/hates/is fascinated by excellent Copywriting, this is the best book ever put together on the topic.

Most of the things here are not directly applicable to most modern Internet era businesses (some exceptions!), but can be altered a little bit and still used to great affect.

If you are considering a career or just want to dabble in Copywriting, this is quite possibly the only book you need. If you write CTA's, this is a must-rea
Tobias Johnson
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
>become a student of reality
>new way of thinking about procrastination (the four square lesson on life); successful people spend more time doing things that are not necessarily urgent, but still important
>sell what people want to buy (do this by looking at what they're actually buying, not what they say they're buying)
>best way to overcome creative blocks is to just keep moving
>the very best writing goes unnoticed
>don't make decisions when you're hungry, angry, tired or lonely

M
K. Rezaiezadeh
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Not quite as focused on actual writing tricks as I would have liked - more generally useful for getting into the right mindset for copywriting success than for learning what makes great sales letters tick. There's definitely something to be said for the idea of Halbert's honesty and voice doing that all by itself though, as it certainly comes through even in these personal letters (and is further explained through his son's useful breakdowns).
David
May 28, 2017 rated it liked it
Decent overall, though many of the digressions smell strongly of 1980s self help culture.

Overall this is not bad but quite a bit informal and the copy I have was printed with many errors and in monospace font.

Certainly there ought to be a balance between a verbatim copy of personal letters and general standards of professionalism...
Peter Roljic
Jul 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The real example way classic books are important to read. In those days Gary knew how to stay low and play simple with clear mind. How small things are important (food, sport, useful education, experience etc.). I recommend this book to people who want to make something from there own. Opportunity is everywhere you just need a little imagination.

Thank you Gary for opening my eyes!
Nirant
Mar 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
This has a very blunt, pragmatic - almost friend like tone. What would a book written by an advertising man at his prime to his 16 year old son sound like? Amazing!

That is exactly what this book is. It's crisp, endearing, engaging and keeps on! :)
This is a book worth coming back to with a pen and paper in hand.
Maggie
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
There's a lot of information in this book, but it's specific to copywriting and marketing. In that sense, I think that it is an excellent book. But this book also has some briefly mentioned truths about life that I personally found really enriching. I know I'll end up reading these letters again and again.
David Yamasaki
Amazing overview of how direct mail advertising used to work back in the day with many great applications for today! A definite must read for anyone interested in marketing. If only it continued on after letter 25!
Vincent P
Jan 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Gary Halbert is one of the most influential copywriters in this era.

This is an interesting compilation of letters he wrote to his son while Gary was serving a prison sentence.

There are some good tidbits in here with one of the most important and biggest lessons in business inside.
John Canque
Jun 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fist book on copywriting, great intro into what goes into writing copy. I wasnt a fan of all the other advise. You can't just have big arms; you need big chest, thick back, wide shoulders, and powerful treetrunk legs.
Christian
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Interesting collection of letters from a father (in prison) to his son. Father is writing 25 letters on different learnings from his life (love, business, health, etc.). As time moves on, we also get to see a side of how prison is impacting his state of mind.
Hrag Saatjian
Feb 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: am-training
Amazing book. Even if you aren't into marketing. The stories are so interesting...I was looking forward to reading it everyday.

It may seem outdated but the methods he uses for the "reports" he sells via direct mail can be used to sell eBooks via Facebook/Google/Email etc.
Keagan
Dec 14, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
Just wasnt that into it. Some good lessons on copywrite though👍
Alexander Hans Collado Jr.
Boron letters

It has great quotes but reading the Boron Letters wasn’t a one sitting thing for me. I kinda struggled finishing his book.
Jan Brinkmann
Dec 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
really great advise regarding copywriting.
Anurag Gupta
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
On direct mail marketing. Set in 1984, kinda obsolete. A good book nonetheless.
  • Advertising Secrets of the Written Word: The Ultimate Resource on How to Write Powerful Advertising Copy from One of America's Top Copywriters and Mail Order Entrepreneurs
  • The Robert Collier Letter Book
  • How to Write a Good Advertisement: A Short Course in Copywriting
  • Breakthrough Advertising
  • The Entrepreneur's Guide To Getting Your Shit Together
  • Tested Advertising Methods
  • The Ultimate Sales Letter: Attract New Customers. Boost Your Sales
  • Scientific Advertising
  • Secret Formulas of the Wizard of Ads
  • Ca$hvertising: How to Use More Than 100 Secrets of Ad-Agency Psychology to Make BIG MONEY Selling Anything to Anyone
  • Great Leads: The Six Easiest Ways To Start Any Sales Message
  • 80/20 Sales and Marketing: The Definitive Guide to Working Less and Making More
  • The Brain Audit: Why Customers Buy (and Why They Don't)
  • The Idea Writers: Copywriting in a New Media and Marketing Era
  • You Should Test That: Conversion Optimization for More Leads, Sales and Profit or the Art and Science of Optimized Marketing
  • This book will teach you how to write better: Learn how to get what you want, increase your conversion rates, and make it easier to write anything (using formulas and mind-hacks)
  • The Self-made Billionaire Effect Deluxe: How Extreme Producers Create Massive Value
  • Execute
“HALT stands for hungry, angry, lonely and tired and you should never make a decision when you are any of those things.” 6 likes
“Everyone wants to climb the mountain, but the big difference between those at the top and those still on the bottom is simply a matter of showing up tomorrow to give it just one more shot.” 3 likes