Start by marking “Summerlost” as Want to Read:
Summerlost

Summerlost

3.85  ·  Rating details ·  4,780 Ratings  ·  1,066 Reviews
Published March 29th 2016 by Dutton Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Summerlost, please sign up.
Teckla I think it could be for both age groups and for adults to read as well since I'm and adult and I enjoyed treading this book.

Nat
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: diverse-reads
“It’s not right that something so big, your entire life, depends on a million tiny things.”

I’m so glad that I’ve finally read this book, it was one of my anticipated reads of the month.

This follows an incredibly moving coming-of-age story about 12-year-old Cedar Lee, who has moved to Iron Creek, Utah, for the summer with her mother and younger brother, Miles.
And it follows their journey trying to regroup after an accident that claimed the lives of Cedar’s father and younger brother, Ben.

Outside
Sarah Grace
May 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 13+ for crudity
Wow! That was . . . emotional. So beautifully written, it reminded me in a lot of ways of Patricia MacLachlan's novels. Condie's writing style is poetic and poignant, and touches a chord within your heart. There are so many deep quotes in this book, I wish I had a highlighter handy when I read it! (Unfortunately it was a library copy, so that wouldn't have worked anyway) Beautiful and poignant are the best words I can come up with to describe this book.

And can we just talk about the cover pleas
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
MY BLOG: Melissa Martin's Reading List

I really enjoyed this book. I loved Cedar and Leo, I actually loved all the characters in the book accept the couple of mean kids.

some spoilers

Cedar's little brother Ben and her father were killed in an automobile accident, it was a drunk driver. So, Cedar's mom decided to take her and her other brother Mile's to her hometown of Iron Creek. Here she bought a little house for them to do up and they could rent it out in the off months because they couldn't af
Katie  Hanna
Jul 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
"I loved him. I finally loved him again, and then he was gone."

*wails*

THIS IS MIDDLE GRADE FICTION, Y'ALL. IT HAS NO LICENSE TO DESTROY MY HEART LIKE THIS. I AM AFFRONTED. I AM BETRAYED.

I am also really, really grateful.
Fafa's Book Corner
Feb 01, 2016 rated it it was ok
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner !

Beware spoilers ahead!

I received this E-Sampler via Penguin Young Readers Group and Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

DNF

I was really excited when I heard that Ally Condie (who wrote the Matched series) would be publishing her first middle grade book! I was even happier when I got an email from Netgalley about the sample. Unfortunately I will not be reading the whole book. Which is why I have marked this book as 'DNF'.

The book begins with Cedar and
Kate Willis
Mar 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
I FINALLY got to read this book, and I’m so happy. (And so sad, because it’s that kind of book.) I’ve always liked the cover when I’ve seen it on Goodreads, but I was pleased to find the back cover is just as beautiful. And the PAGE NUMBERS!!! This is weird, but I loved it that they were on the side instead of the top. Also, the book was divided into three acts. Like a play. And plays feature highly into this book. Boom.

But onto the story part of the book… ;) I enjoyed Ally Condie’s writing styl
Victoria Lynn
Jun 12, 2017 rated it liked it
I went into this book with high expectations. The cover is swoon worthy and it and the synopsis reminded me so keenly of a Patricia McLachlan book. As a result, I was a bit disappointed.

Likes:

- Miles. He was my favorite character despite being a secondary character.
- Friendship. It was a sweet summer story in that respect.
- Family relationships. Dawww. . . just. . . so sweet.
- Story line. The story of Ben and their dad was heartbreaking and had that melancholy feel and the coping of the fa
Kate Matson
Summary:
It's the first real summer since the devastating accident that killed Cedar's father and younger brother, Ben. But now Cedar and what’s left of her family are returning to the town of Iron Creek for the summer. They’re just settling into their new house when a boy named Leo, dressed in costume, rides by on his bike. Intrigued, Cedar follows him to the renowned Summerlost theatre festival. Soon, she not only has a new friend in Leo and a job working concessions at the festival, she finds
Victoria
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS PERFECT AND I CAN'T EVEN

it's so pretty and poetic and realistic and painful and just real and beautiful

I mean it has its shortcomings but they're not many.
Lola
Until I met Leo I hadn’t known you could understand someone so different from you so well.

3 1/2 stars.

Summerlost completely melted my heart.

I had decided to take a break from middle grade books for a while, but when I saw that Ally Condie wrote a new book – something different from what she is used to writing – I jumped on it. I am so glad I did.

This is not a love story between a boy and a girl. This is a story of family, trust, new beginnings and, most importantly, friendship. Cedar Lee los
m a r y l i z
Jun 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: summer-reads
Well, I'm not entirely sure what I thought of this. It was a sweet, meaningful story. The cover is unbelievably beautiful. The formatting is somehow perfect for this book. And the writing is just SPOT-ON.

Buuuut I wasn't a fan of all the lying that Cedar and Leo did. They both lied to the adults a LOT and sneaked around for much of the book. At least they apologized for what they did, but it still...well, it still felt rather bothersome to me. (Because yep, this is middle-grade. And I wouldn't wa
Rose
Quick review for a quick read. I was first introduced to "Summerlost" through a snippet offered on NetGalley, but I later checked out a full version of the book from my local library. This definitely satisfied my longing for a quick read in the form of a fulfilling MG/teen summer story. It's Ally Condie's middle-grade debut about a girl named Cedar who's coping with her first summer after her father's and brother's tragic accident. She returns to the town of Iron Creek for the summer, meeting a ...more
Gabby
This is my first time reading a middle grade book, and I did enjoy it, just not as much as I wanted to. I randomly saw this book available to rent at the library and I had no idea what it was about (I actually just saw the gorgeous cover and decided to download it and go into it completely blind.) I didn't even know it was a middle grade book until I started listening to the audiobook.

This book follows two twelves year old kids: Cedar Lee, a young girl who's Dad and brother recently just died,
Stacee
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I normally don't read MG, but I had heard Ally discussing this book when I saw her on tour and I was definitely interested.

I liked Cedar and Leo. They're adorable together and they compliment each other perfectly. The relationship between them is quick and sweet and it was fun watching them navigate through the summer. I especially loved the soap opera that they all got hooked on. Even Leo's older brothers.

It did feel like the narrative was filled with rambling. Perhaps it was the formatting of
Zane Jones
Mar 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Kids books aren't supposed to break your heart.
Larnacouer  de SH
Aug 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: epub-epub
Çocukluğunuz ne kadar dolu geçmiş olursa olsun, bu kitabı okuyunca insan hayıflanmadan edemiyor; keşke daha elle tutulur hayallerim olsaydı, ben de koşsaydım peşinden diye.

Kitap çok sevimliydi.
Shaina Robbins
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Well, this made me ugly cry.

Such a beautiful meditation on friendship, growing up, and grief. There are few books I've read that so accurately mirrored my own experience losing my dad as a teenager. Cedar is younger than I was, but Condie's descriptions of grieving not only for the relationship you had but for the one you could have had hit me HARD. Cedar misses the things she knew about her father but aches when she realizes all that she didn't know - everything she never got to ask him. She al
Susan
Nov 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Thank you so much to the publisher and to Edelweiss for supplying this ARC!
If I could give this book ten stars, I would!
We all deal with grief in different ways, but the way this 12 year old moves through it is both heartbreaking and beautiful. Ally Condie hit the mark!
She pulls the reader into this sweet story quickly, letting us experience Cedar as she embarks on a summer adventure, filled with mystery, that will prove to bring healing in a way she never imagined.
The fact that is takes place d
Jazzy
Oct 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
awwww this book was so cute i can just squeeze it!

my rating - 4.5
I enjoyed this book. I love it actually. It made me feel so HAPPY at the end, not like cheesy "oh this is nice, very nice *pets cover*" happy. But like "my soul and my heart and my soul can now die happy" kind of happy.

I've heard a lot of different opinions of this book, but tbh I loved the message. I loved watching Cedar grow... it overwhelms me to think about the message that this book presents. I LOVED the last paragraph where
Kathy
Jul 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Middle grade is not my favorite thing to read. I usually lose interest. Summerlost is well written and managed to hold my interest. Good book for older elementary aged kids.
Content: clean
theresa 🌸🥑
emotional and very cute with a bit of a "ghost" story.middle grade books are my jam lately and I AM LOVING IT.
Sara Grochowski
When a tragic accident takes the lives of Cedar’s father and brother, Ben, what’s left of her family moves to the town of Iron Creek for the summer. Her mother throws herself into repairing their new house, her little brother throws himself into the drama of a television soap opera, and Cedar finds herself a summer job at Summerlost, the local theater festival. Cedar finds a fast friend in Leo, a local boy who also works at Summerlost, and together the two put together a secret, unauthorized tou ...more
Melissa
Feb 28, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I knew this was only a preview of the book. Six chapters it said, but I didn't expect the chapters to be this short. I basically read 6 chapters in less than 10 minutes.

Anyway. After reading this little preview, I don't think I'll pick up this book.
Not because I think it was horrible. The voice of the main character sounded just way too young for me. It's just not my cup of tea :)
Jessica
Nov 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: contemporary, kidlit
With a featherlight touch and a lot of love, Condie tells a beautiful story about friendship, family, and loss of all kinds. There's also some fun humor, and the setting is a delightful homage to Cedar City and its Shakespeare festival.
Katie Grace
Jul 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
awh, a cute book, and the fact that I met the author was also pretty cool, so.
Melissa
Oct 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Sure, there are dead parents, but it transcends that.
Liza Fireman
Nov 11, 2016 rated it it was ok
I did not like this book, from so many different reasons. I can start with Cedar and Leo being involved by choice in leading tours that are clearly not going to be blessed as a fair business (they will get fired if found out and they know it), continuing with unnecessary theft at some point in the book (there are ways to make money to make a dream come true, but the bad guy is not suppose to be who tells on you doing something wrong to begin with). But overall, it is not even an interesting book ...more
Jenny
Jun 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I am incredibly biased in my opinion of this book, but as someone who very suddenly lost my own dad at a young age, I felt like this book nailed it. So many of my own thoughts and feelings were echoed in the main character, and I cherished and cried through each shared moment. The writing felt realistic and not overly sappy, and I didn't want to let the characters go at the end.
Jenny
Mar 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very cute story. It dealt with a lot of issues that I couldn’t decide if kids would get but I’m probably underestimating.
Melanie
Jun 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Summerlost was a good read. I liked that it was pretty clean and the audiobook reader was great. I felt bad for the main character and her family and their loss. Overall, this was a fun read and I'm glad I read it. I ended up enjoying it more than I expected!
NZ Intermediate S...: Summerlost 1 9 Sep 04, 2017 03:12AM
  • The Way to Stay in Destiny
  • When Friendship Followed Me Home
  • Wish Girl
  • The Key to Extraordinary
Ally Condie is a former high school English teacher who lives with her husband, three sons and one daughter outside of Salt Lake City, Utah. She loves reading, running, eating, and listening to her husband play guitar.
More about Ally Condie

Young Adult Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
  • How to Say I Love You Out Loud
  • The Lost Girls of Camp Forevermore
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Scat
  • Chomp
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
  • I See London, I See France
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Starfish
  • Olive's Ocean
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
  • Little Monsters
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • 13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Train I Ride
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Greyhound
  • Annie on My Mind
    $9.99 $1.20
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dumplin' (Dumplin', #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Curse (Blur Trilogy #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
    $4.24 $1.99
  • Blur  (Blur Trilogy #1)
  • Ungifted
  • Julie of the Wolves
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Things We Know by Heart
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
  • The Secret of a Heart Note
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • After the Game (The Field Party, #3)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Ticker
  • How To Keep Rolling After a Fall
  • No Love Allowed
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“My dad used to say that life was like turning the pages in a book. 'Oh, look,' he'd say, pretending to flip the pages in the air after we'd had something bad happen to us. 'Bad luck here on page ninety-seven. And on ninety-eight. But something good here on ninety-nine! All you had to do was keep reading!” 16 likes
“I understood why Leo called the fountain Baby Niagara. Because once you see something big, you can't help seeing it in everything small.” 6 likes