Start by marking “The Helena Diaries: Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law Mystery #1.5)” as Want to Read:
The Helena Diaries: Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law Mystery #1.5)

The Helena Diaries: Trouble in Mudbug

(Ghost-in-Law #1.5)

WARNING: This novella is a companion book to TROUBLE IN MUDBUG. You should not read this novella prior to completing Trouble in Mudbug. The novella contains major spoilers for the novel and would not make sense if read beforehand.

Do you love Helena Henry?

Did you wonder what she was thinking during Trouble in Mudbug, or what she was up to when she was off-page in the novel?
ebook
Published April 1st 2013 by Jana DeLeon

To ask other readers questions about The Helena Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Helena Diaries

Karen Wright
Apr 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this but wish it was longer. It is the story from the first Ghost In Law mystery told from Helena's point of view. It's hilarious the things that she seems to notice while at the same time, she's not too broken up about being murdered.
Linda C
Sep 26, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, paranormal
This is the same story as Trouble in Mudbug but told from Helena’s, the ghost’s, viewpoint. I don’t think this really added a lot that we didn’t already know; perhaps a few insights. But I think the humor was better in the original.
Sue Ross
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you like the Mudbug series, you'll love knowing exactly what makes Helena tick!!!! This was such an easy read I read it all in one day. Didn't want to put it down and life didn't interfere this time. I hear rumors there will be more to her diary to come. Can't wait for the next entries :)
Apr 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
The warning listed above is 100% accurate - if you have not read Trouble in Mudbug you will be clueless and lost. I am positive that some half-wit will do just that and post a negative review about The Helena Diaries being obtuse and hard to follow, because they did not read the instructions. (Probably the same population that necessitated the huge increase in warning labels on basic household items. We should really let Darwinism's theory be put to the test and cull the herd. But I digress.)

Now
Elizabeth Lange
Jan 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Please heed the WARNING listed with this novella! You will not make heads or tails of it if you don't!
The "The Helena Dairies" is the perfect compliment to Jana Deleon's "Mudbug" series. It explains, Helena's view of what is going on in "Trouble in Mudbug". If you haven't read any of the series and enjoy an easy, chuckle to yourself and sometimes out loud laugh, read, pick it up today.
Cherrie Wilkerson
Nice Check of the Other Side of the Story

I really enjoyed the quick read from Helena's side of the story. This gave great insight into Helena's story. I cannot wait to find out who killed Helena.
Kelly Young
Aug 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What fun! This is such an original idea, to tell the story from the ghost's point of view. It is well written, funny and fast paced. I truly hope that more of these are coming. They really fill in the blanks, even when I didn't realize there were blanks to fill.
Habibah
Just okay

I enjoyed it but I thought we would see more of what happened with the ghost and less of what happened in the first book.
Tabby
Dec 27, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great!

Loved reading Helena's point of view from Trouble in Mudbug. I will be reading more Jana DeLeon books. Great author and she gives you characters you can't get enough of.
Raelene Cowley
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Super fun read

Now we know more about Helena!! The goofy, spirited lady who is funny and demanding! Such fun books to read!
Shaly
Aug 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: jana-deleon
Gotta love Helena..

She really wasn't the mean bitch everyone made her out to be, I actually don't blame her for her cold attitude and behavior towards the Mudbug residents. When people only want to befriend you because they want something from you, its kind of hard to be a lovable person. She took her stoicism a little to far but its understandable.

I still think she has a great sense of humor and enjoyed reading her personal thoughts and feelings...
Csitzlar
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic!

Having read the first three Mudbug books, when I saw this book, I had to read it. I was not disappointed! It was humorously engaging, and kind of touching in a not too mushy way. Knowing Helena's side of things makes the series really come into sharper focus. If you read Trouble in Mudbug, please treat yourself to this as well. How can you not? A town named "Mudbug"? A ghost with issues? Total enjoyment!
Dianne Sue
Aug 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Filling in the spaces of Jana's delightful series.

Summer has been an exceptionally fun reading time with Jana DeLeon adding humor by the bucketsfull. How did I ever survive without her in my library?
Lyn Jenkins
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Chapters don't count.

I'm thrilled I got to read this, seeing things from Helenas point of view was interesting. Reading it this late in the series had me hard pressed remembering what the living side were up to during the investigation. Another wonderful Mudbug story.
Veronica Traynor
Jan 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
After several attempts, I finally sat down and read this book. Delightfully funny. I ended up reading the whole series.
T.
Nov 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was surprisingly funnier than Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law #1).
Diana
Jan 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Melissa
SO FUNNY!! Helena's snark was from start to finish, just the way I like it.
very short: 2 hours, 7 minutes of listening.
Tameka
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
I like the way this book was written. Since it is written from the dead POV. Helena is a riot albeit she is the most troublesome ghost ever.
Acenith Claassen
Helena’s POV

I really enjoyed the short version of the first book from Helena’s POV. This series is always a quick, light, enjoyable read. Keep me coming!
Pandora
Really cute addition

Ms. Deleon could bring a smile to a demon's face. She seems to a wonderfully warped sense of humor. Love her!
Ms. Perez
Aug 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2018
Freaking hilarious 😆 however highly recommend to read trouble in mudbug since this is the companion book
Lovable characters!
R.M.Gerling
Aug 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A Great Read !!

I really enjoyed all of the books before this one. I couldn't put the book down until I finished it.!!
Darla
Feb 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Really need to read this one soon after finishing Trouble in Mudbug. So good.
Sandra
Aug 06, 2017 rated it did not like it
This is basically the first book from Helena's point of view. It didn't give you any new insights because most of Helena's thoughts have been voiced at some point in the first book.
Janet McCord
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
It had been a long time since I'd read "Trouble in Mudbug" and so the spoilers in this didn't effect me. Of course I found Helena obnoxious at first, as I was supposed to and more sympathetic toward the end. I wish I had read this closer to when I read the original book but it was a light diversion between other books.
Nurse Lisa In Ohio (PRN Book Reviews)
Title: "The Helena Diaries - Trouble in Mudbug"
Author: Jana DeLeon
Format: audiobook via audible.com
Narrated by: Johanna Parker
Overall: 3.5/5 stars

Remarks:
One of my favorite narrators, first of all. Ms. Parker is amazing with her range of voices for her characters (female and make) and really enhances the audiobook experience!

This story was short & cute, but didn't really add much to the overall storyline. I've read & enjoyed the first two books in this series so far & it was kinda c
Dana Kennedy
Feb 13, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
What a giant waste of time. It reads like the author's notes of Trouble in Mudbug, with no new insights whatsoever. I thought that it was written to help the reader sympathize with Helena, but instead it completely alienates you from her by providing an unrealistic voice giving a synopsis of a book that you've already read. She is meant to be a wealthy, older woman who was unfamiliar with the internet or email, yet she constantly uses phrases like BTW, hottie and badass. I was going to read book ...more
Amanda
Sep 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
The Helena Diaries: Trouble in Mudbug by Jana DeLeon is told in Helena's first-person point-of-view during the events of the first book in the series.

The writing in this book is a vast improvement from the others'. Helena has a hilarious way of phrasing and perceiving things; the first chapter is a great example of this. However, I definitely wouldn't recommend reading this without reading the first book for two reasons: it wouldn't make sense and it would spoil the story. This is more of a comp
Barbara Starr
Mar 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy Jana Delon's books. The Helena series are easy reading, and I find the character of
Helena an absolute hoot. She has made this character you like and feel sorry for, in fact t I don't know how the characters in the book don't see her that way.

I have read the entire series and now I am going to find another book by Ms. Delon
  • Trouble Under the Tree (Nina Quinn, #6)
  • Bound To Moonlight (Sisters of the Moon, #2)
  • Rose and Helena Save Christmas (Rose Gardner Mystery, #6.4, Ghost-in-Law, #6.5)
  • Surrendering to the Stag (Mail-Order Mates #6)
  • Wild Blue Under (Tritone Trilogy #2)
  • The Dragon Legion Collection (Dragonfire, #9.1, 9.2, 9.3)
  • Three Odd Balls (Cue Ball Mysteries, #3)
  • How to Marry a Warlock in 10 Days (10 Days, #2)
  • Reluctant Alpha (Aaron's Kiss, #7)
  • King of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #3)
  • India Black in the City of Light (Madam of Espionage, #3.5)
  • Fed Up (A Gourmet Girl Mystery, #4)
  • Hair of the Dog (Sinners, #1.5)
  • The Chocolate Moose Motive (A Chocoholic Mystery, #12)
New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Jana DeLeon was raised in southwest Louisiana among the bayous and gators. Her hometown is Carlyss, but you probably won't find it on a map. Her family owned a camp located on a bayou just off the Gulf of Mexico that you could only get there by boat. The most important feature was the rope hammock hanging in the shade on a huge deck that stretched ou ...more

Ghost-in-Law (6 books)
  • Trouble in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #1)
  • Mischief in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #2)
  • Showdown in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law, #3)
  • Resurrection in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law #4)
  • Missing in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law #5)
  • Chaos in Mudbug (Ghost-in-Law #6)