Start by marking “The Silent Passage: Menopause” as Want to Read:
The Silent Passage: Menopause

The Silent Passage: Menopause

3.54  ·  Rating details ·  274 Ratings  ·  36 Reviews
The best-selling author of Passages takes a probing look at menopause, discussing the disquieting approach the medical community takes to it and offering commentary by some of today's most notable post-menopausal women. 50,000 first printing. Tour.
Published May 5th 1992 by Random House (first published 1992)

To ask other readers questions about The Silent Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Silent Passage

Graceann
Aug 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women, men who love their women
Recommended to Graceann by: Kim
About a year ago, I mentioned that I was feeling unwell, and specified how I was hurting. A good friend said "you know what? I think it's time you read The Silent Passage." As I become more "seasoned" the issues presented in The Silent Passage are becoming more relevant with every passing day, and I zipped through the informative pages very quickly.

Back when this book was released in the early 1990s, nobody wanted to talk about this completely natural event (not "disease") that every woman expe
Leslie
Jan 13, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
I've read many books on menopause, but I'd read Sheehy's Passages, so I picked this one up at the free book exchange at the library. I didn't get very far into it before I flipped to the front to see what year it was published, 1995. We have learned a whole lot about having a healthy menopause since 1995.

I skim-read most of the book, if only to see how much attitudes and science have changed. I didn't finish it, I didn't want to spend the time, there are better books on menopause to read.

I did g
Cheri
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
I know this book is outdated in some of the medical thinking, but I still found it an interesting read. A bit repetitive thought and it was missing more of the "what to expect" and "treatment options" that I had hoped to find.
Rebekah
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I like to be prepared for what's coming next, but it doesn't help when the info. is so dated. I've gotten more out of magazines in a doctor's office.
Barb Lawrence
Aug 23, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was disappointed in this. At times it was too text book, and at other times it was too over-written philosophizing.
Karen
Jan 11, 2009 rated it liked it
"...nineteenth century obstetricians taught that 'the change of life unhinges the female nervous system and deprives women of their personal charm'." pg. 131 "Laughter and forgetting...two of the best gifts women of any age can share with one another." pg. 55 "No, we are never again going to be that girl of our idealized inner eye. The task now is to find a new future self in whom we can invest our trust and enthusiasm." pg. 136 Yes, I'm going through "the change", so I read this book from my mo ...more
Terry Bourbon
Mar 13, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book is an investigative report on menopause circa 1993. It is an excellent chronicle of something that is a part of every woman's life, but to that date was absolutely a taboo subject. I find this shocking as someone who got married in 1990. I thought the women that preceded me, including my own mother and mother in law, would be much more well informed and able to pass on things to me to make it easier. It turns out they had no help, and were "taught" that it was a taboo subject. An excel ...more
Vivian
Sep 13, 2013 rated it liked it
I had read this book six or seven years ago just out of curiosity about what was to come. Now I read it to find out whether I was losing my mind or just experiencing menopause! I agree with other reviewers that the author seems to promote the taking of hormones. At the time the book was written, I may have gone along with that, however, with what has been learned in the intervening years, I would not touch them with a ten foot pole. Are the hot flashes, sleepness nights, and mushy thinking annoy ...more
Donna
Nov 19, 2011 rated it liked it
I found some information useful and some too dated. I think she strongly advocates hormone replacement, but all women cannot take hormones. There are many alternatives in today's world and women should educate themselves as to what is currently available and choose what works best for their individual symptoms. I think humor is very important during menopause and Gail touches on that in her book.
Sally
Nov 06, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
This was an interesting book, a mix of hard science and personal experience. I could identify with the physical symptoms the women described, but I didn't relate to their anguish over aging. For me, the goal is maturity and wisdom, so the physical aging process is not such a big deal. (Not yet, anyway!) The author talked a lot about hormone replacement therapy and how important estrogen is, but since I can't 'use' hormones, I'll have to live without it!
Beth
Nov 20, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I checked out a pile of books on Menopause in an effort to figure out what is going on with my mind and my body. This one seemed to have the most potential to be helpful, but it seemed that her main pupose was to reassure the reader that post menopausal women can have an active sexz life. There was some helpful information int it, but not a lot
Rosemary
Nov 07, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: recently
I remember the day when my mother and I went to the bookstore to buy this book. At the time, there were only a handful of books about menopause. I'm glad to say that there have been many more written, but The Silent Passage is a groundbreaking classic. Thank you, Gail Sheehy, for writing this book, on behalf of women in the 90s.
Karen Cooley
Aug 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Very informative for anyone needing info on the change of life/menopause--what to expect and what some of your options are. I think women are more open about this topic since the book was written and there are more alternatives of treatment. However, this is the best I have read in terms of clear info.
Heather
Apr 03, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
There is value at every stage of life. Women need to have information about this stage and be able to embrace it.
(Are we there yet???)
Nov 09, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
So dated. There were way too many names dropped in the chapter about celebrity menopause. I would have preferred more factual information about the various options and (far) less about how women feel about the options. I can see that, 20 years ago, this was groundbreaking, but I'm not sure why my doctor recommended this to me.
Susan
Nov 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women approaching menopause

This book reassured me that some of the symptoms I was having of menopause were NORMAL. It was not coincidental (I don't believe in coincidences) that I opened it up to the chapter entitled, Where is My Memory, for that has been a real struggle for me during this passage. I'm glad there are books like this to shed light on things that can seem frightening and mysterious in women's lives.
Jen Chenault
Feb 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: daughters everywhere
Silent because no body talks about it - we need to bring it into the light, learn all we can, share our stories and imagine real information coming from drug companies, doctors and health care information.
Malisa
Jul 13, 2011 marked it as to-read
The latest Sheehy installment from my Mom (when I mentioned to her I was perimenopausal) Promptly put on my "to read" shelf to hopefully to collect dust for awhile. You'll know I'm in BIG trouble when I moved it to another shelf :-)
Libby
Sep 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Very thoughtful and some good writing about aspects of this passage, but outdated in its medical recommendations. Need a more current option.
Judy
Feb 01, 2015 rated it liked it
While this book is passe to some and definitely a decade late for me personally, I gleaned some great info from it. More importantly, it gave me a "you go girl" feeling that I didn't expect!
Ange
Dec 05, 2007 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Some good info. on menopause among the uninteresting.
Nicole
Sep 28, 2008 added it
I really think I am starting menopause early. Good information although out if date and heart health studies came back after the book was published.
Chris
Jun 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a great supplement to a GOOD doctors care and other reading material for updates on what is known now.
John Lawless
First, every woman should read this book followed by their spouse....
John
Dec 15, 2007 rated it really liked it
Rated: C+

Interesting read for husbands with wives entering menopause
Janelle V.
Instructive. Read only for information purposes.
Johna
Apr 23, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: johna
not much has improved for women and women's health
Mel
Apr 28, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-as-an-adult
It was quite the groundbreaker in its day. Gail Sheehy opened the door for frank discussion about menopause - thank goodness.
Mylinda Mayfield Lawhun
Aug 26, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: put-down
Interesting but dated. Flipped through.
Kirsten Feldman
Apr 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Hands-down brilliant she is.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • How Much Is Enough?: Everything You Need to Know to Steer Clear of Overindulgence and Raise Likeable, Responsible and Respectful Ch
  • The Complete Book of Food Counts
  • Clutch: Why Some People Excel Under Pressure and Others Don't
  • We Are Our Mothers' Daughters
  • Loving Each Other
  • Before the Change: Taking Charge of Your Perimenopause
  • The Owl Was a Baker's Daughter: Obesity, Anorexia Nervosa, and the Repressed Feminine (Studies in Jungian Psychology By Jungian Analysts, 4)
  • The Sonoma Diet: Trimmer Waist, Better Health in Just 10 Days!
  • The Ultimate Weight Solution Food Guide
  • The 10 Commandments of Money: Survive and Thrive in the New Economy
  • Family Wealth: Keeping It in the Family--How Family Members and Their Advisers Preserve Human, Intellectual, and Financial Assets for Generations
  • Shame and Grace: Healing the Shame We Don't Deserve
  • Raising Financially Fit Kids
  • The Loss That Is Forever: The Lifelong Impact of the Early Death of a Mother or Father
  • Raising Unselfish Children in a Self-Absorbed World
  • Make The Connection: 10 Steps To A Better Body   And A Better Life
  • The First Interview
  • You Were Always Mom's Favorite!: Sisters in Conversation Throughout Their Lives
Gail Sheehy is an American writer and lecturer, most notable for her books on life and the life cycle. She is also a contributor to the magazine Vanity Fair.

Her fifth book, Passages, has been called "a road map of adult life". Several of her books continue the theme of passages through life's stages, including menopause and what she calls "Second Adulthood", including Pathfinders, Spirit of Surviv
More about Gail Sheehy...