Start by marking “Le conseiller d'Etat” as Want to Read:
Le conseiller d'Etat

Le conseiller d'Etat (Erast Fandorin Mysteries #6)

4.18  ·  Rating details ·  3,053 Ratings  ·  87 Reviews
Dashing hero Erast Fandorin returns for another intriguing Russian crime caper, from the bestselling author of THE WINTER QUEEN.

General Khrapov, newly appointed Governor-General of Siberia and soon-to-be Minister of the Interior, is murdered in his official saloon carriage on his way from St Petersburg to Moscow.
The killer, disguised as Fandorin, leaves a knife thrust up t
Published (first published 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Le conseiller d'Etat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Le conseiller d'Etat

Sofia
Action packed smoothness complete with complicated interesting characters, yes Green and Erast Petrovich, I am talking about you. But not only about you but all the others as well. In this story which could have easily been superficially presented as a good vs bad story, we get instead the shades of grey which all sides of a story have. And so we get character driven writing. With people who even in their 'baddest' moments make us connect to their humanness.

Akunin's plot is enjoyably labyrinthin
Lena♥Ribka
A brilliant historical mystery set in Imperial Russia.

If I had done it properly – started not from the book #6- I would have opened my review with
“A great start for a very promising historical mystery series with one of the most interesting characters” But I read it unfortunately(or as very often) not in the right order. So I'll keep this opening for my next Fandorin's book.

The good news—you can read this book as a stand-alone.

Of course, I am going to read this series from the very beginning
Andy
YES 5 Stars - You are reading correctly, is is NOT sunstroke.....

Another Arch-nemesis for Erast Fandorin to deal with in a very Sherlock Holmes style of read set across Moscow C1860's or thereabouts. Revolutionaries, pseudo-intelligentsia(i), ideologist students of rich families, orshika (secret police) & double agents throughout for Erast to battle & form alliances with as the case(s) unfold.

The villian (Muuuuuulhahahahahahahah) is as engaging as our hero & for me receives equal sta
Kirsten
Oct 13, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-bookshelf
I happily turned to Erast Fandorin after too long an absence. I discovered him when I lived in Kent and loved him. An unusual detective in Czarist (Tsarist?) Russia, he has a stutter, a Japanese manservant, and is forever unlucky in love.

In this entry, he has to deal not just with the always dangerous politics of the government service in Moscow, but also a band of dangerous revolutionaries (terrorists).

Erast is very like Sherlock in his deductions, but a much more sympathetic character in that
Kris McCracken
Jan 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The sixth in the series, I think that this is (thus far) his best: reactionary autocrats, revolutionary terrorists, murky plots, sinister schemes and a heavy political edge I really enjoyed this bleak tale!

I particularly enjoyed the vivid painting of the key revolutionary 'Green'. Fashioned by a cruel world, Akunin has done a great job in constructing a beautiful example of the sympathetic villain. This book has it all, assassinations, bomb-making, bank heists, love trysts, and scores of bodies
Branko Jovanovski
I would even give it 2 and half stars - this is the worst one in the Fandorin series so far.
Warrengent
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ng
A masterpiece of the historical novel,grabs you attention from the opening page and never lets up,i absolutely would recommend this to anyone
Jess
E' inutile che cominci questo commento facendo mille giri di parole, possono aspettare, perciò andrò subito al sodo: Il consigliere di stato è, insieme a Incoronazione uno dei migliori romanzi della serie dedicata alle avventure di Fandorin. Seguono, a breve distanza, La regina d'inverno (Azazel'), La morte di Achille e Il marchio del fuoco. Gli altri arrancano o semplicemente non riescono a competere. E ora, per spiegare perché tengo Il consigliere di stato sul gradino più alto, occorre addentr ...more
Matthew Barnes
Jun 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really missed out by not reading Fandorin before. Like a cross between Sherlock and James Bond!

Full review: https://booksmjb.blogspot.com/2017/06...
Charles
Mar 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, e-books, netgalley
Fandorin returns in an exciting new adventure! The State Counsellor sees him chasing after a band of communist terrorists following the assassination of a leading figure in the Tsarist hierarchy - for which the terrorists impersonate Fandorin himself.

A rollicking good story, with a good number of plot twists, Imperial Court intrigues, and femme fatales, this is Akunin back to form in an engrossing new title.

Reason for four stars, and not five? There are a few story devices that annoyed me as a r
Trillian AS
Feb 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Since Russian is my mother tongue I have the advantage to read the original without the wait for a translation and and the danger of losing some book charm in a different language.
So far the best fandorin book for me, not because of the criminal plot but of the fascinating and rare medley of the Japanese and tsarist Russian intrigues in the late 19 th century.

For those fond of Japanese culture it is captivating to read about early Yokohama (back then a small expat village and a small port), samu
Sem
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, russia
I wish they'd translate more of Akunin's work. I'm spinning these out for as long as I can - and given my desire to devour them in one marathon session it's hard - but I'm going to run out before long and there won't be anything to take their place. I can't think of another writer who can spend half a book in the mind of the adversary (I use that word loosely given the devilish complexities of the Tsarist bureaucracy and the uncertainties of who the real adversary is) and leave you feeling that ...more
Vanessa
Aug 11, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, ebook, netgalley
The usually twisty world of Erast Fandorin becomes impenetrable an mystery (adventure? intrigue? ) that I think assumes more than an average non-Russian's understanding of Russian history, especially the role of insurgents in the 1890s. I, for one, got super lost and gave up trying to place who was where and why about 2/3 of the way through. Not a recommend here, even though it's been a long while between English language Fandorin novels.

I received an ecopy from the publishers and NetGalley in e
Nirit
Nov 12, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
בניגוד לספרים הקודמים בסידרה, הפעם פנדורין מובל לאורך החקירה ולא מוביל איתה.
פנדורין מנסה לחשוף תא טרוריסטי של מהפכנים שביצע רצח פוליטי, אבל מהר מאוד הוא הופך לסטטיסט בחקירה, כשהוא צופה מהצד במאמצי 3 בכירים שונים לחשוף את חברי התא. העובדה שדמותו של פנדורין די דהויה לאורך הספר, הופכת אותו לפחות מוצלח בעיני.
Mellu
Apr 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
С этой книги началась моя любовь к Фандорину. Отличный роман, изящный слог, обаятельный главный герой.
Anadein
Aug 21, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Отличная книга
Adi Gonen
Nov 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best one in the series!!!
Andrea
Feb 13, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The novel is much better than the Russian TV movie.
Bella
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When most people think of Russian literature, they don’t think of anything contemporary. Tolstoy, Dostoyevsky, Nabokov, Pasternak – these are the names that spring to mind, and yet none of these authors lived past the 1900’s. A great deal of this has to do with politics; political themes pervade Russian literature as much as it does Russian life. As political and social ideologies fall in and out of favor with Western sensibilities, so does literature influenced by these movements. Modern Russia ...more
David Dunlap
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another tour-de-force from Boris Akunin! At first glance, the opening sequence -- with its quick revelation that all was not as it appeared -- seemed a miscalculation, but further reading indicated that chapters would be alternating between State Counsellor Fandorin's point of view and that of the lead anarchist, code-named Green. This proved to be an effective device, as the parallel timelines interweave and backtrack, serving to heighten the plot tension. -- Erast Petrovich quickly finds himse ...more
Kathleen Gray
Jul 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
These are terrific books! The combination of Russian history and a mystery just can't be beat, especially with a character as entertaining as Fandorin. If you have not read Akunin before, try this one- you don't need to have read the earlier books to enjoy it. You'll discover a whole new really cool series, complete with lots of twists and turns. The fact that the author is a Georgian and grew up in the USSR no doubt adds to the atmospheric nature of the tale. This is well translated, Thanks to ...more
Denise
Sep 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read set in an interesting time in Russian history (pre-revolution). A mystery, but not a typical one, as we know the identity of the murderer from the beginning. Still, good tension as we go back and forth between the two sides. If you are challenged keeping track of characters, this book might be difficult as there are lots of players and, of course, all the names are Russian. Still, don't let that stop you. Persevere and you'll likely find you can follow things just fine.
Denis Mcgrath
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
State Counsellor Erast Fandorin in his role as detective is charged not only to protect but also to bring to justice revolutionaries who are assassinating key political figures in the Tsar’s regime. The lengthy novel deftly moves the reader within the historical background of Imperial Russia and all its foibles and greedy intrigues. It is an excellent translation.

I was given an electronic copy in return for an honest review.
Mikko Saari
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine Fandorin novel. One of the best, perhaps? At least it's quite the thriller, with political undertones as the nihilist plot their attacks, while the high-ranking police officials try to stop them – but there seems to be a mole in the police organisation, and fairly high, too. Fortunately Erast Fandorin is up to the task.
Tasha
I honestly did not like it as much as I thought I would. A crime mystery taking place during the Russian revolution? Sounds like something I would enjoy. It was confusing and hard to follow. I know who was speaking most of the time. I had to call it quits unfortunately. This book just wasn't for me.
Elgen
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Книги Акунина читаю с удовольствием. Захватывает с самого начала.
Sharon Jacksack
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A little tough getting into the story, but things ramp up quickly after that. A tightly plotted and exciting mystery set in Russia before the Revolution.
Dorothy
It was interesting enough but at some moments I felt it was too plain.
Katherine Schram
A great Russian thriller. I felt the sense that I was being transported to another place and time.
Doreen
Jun 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mcn
6/26/17 Full review tk.
  • Pelagia and the Black Monk (Sister Pelagia Mysteries, #2)
  • Казус Кукоцкого
  • Легенды Невского Проспекта
  • Two Captains
  • Дебют в Ехо (Лабиринты Ехо, #1.1-1.3)
  • Golden Calf
  • Peter the First
  • The Yellow Arrow
Real name - Grigory Shalvovich Chkhartishvili (Russian: Борис Акунин; Georgian: გრიგოლ შალვას ძე ჩხარტიშვილი; Аlso see Grigory Chkhartishvili), born in Tbilisi, Georgia, in 1956. Since 1958 he lives in Moscow. Writer and translator from Japanease. Author of crime stories set in tsarist Russia. In 1998 he made his debut with novel Azazel (to English readers known as The Winter Queen), where he cre ...more
More about Boris Akunin...

Erast Fandorin Mysteries (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • The Winter Queen (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #1)
  • The Turkish Gambit (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #2)
  • Murder on the Leviathan (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #3)
  • The Death of Achilles (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #4)
  • Special Assignments (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #5)
  • Коронация, или Последний из романов (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #7)
  • Любовница смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #8)
  • Любовник смерти (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #9)
  • Алмазная колесница (Erast Fandorin Mysteries, #10)
  • Алмазная колесница . Том 1 (Приключения Эраста Фандорина #10)
“говорю, Эраст Петрович, что революционное движение в России гораздо проще победить не полицейскими, а реформаторскими методами. Полицейскими, вероятно, и вовсе невозможно, потому что насилие порождает ответное насилие, еще более непримиримое, и так с нарастанием вплоть до общественного взрыва. Тут надобно обратить главное внимание на мастеровое сословие. Без поддержки рабочих революционерам рассчитывать не на что, наше крестьянство слишком пассивно и разобщено.” 0 likes
“ТГ опять оказались безупречны. Все прошло как по маслу. Такой блестящей победы у Боевой Группы еще не было. Казалось бы, можно дать себе поблажку – насладиться ощущением аккуратно исполненного дела. Спичка еще не погасла, еще горит, и разожженное ею пламя занимается все сильней. Но насладиться мешала непонятность. А непонятности Грин не выносил. Где непонятность, там и непредсказуемость, а это опасно.” 0 likes