Start by marking “Epistle to the Philippians” as Want to Read:
Epistle to the Philippians

Epistle to the Philippians

(Bible #50)

Book 11 of the New Testament.
4 pages
Published (first published 62)

To ask other readers questions about Epistle to the Philippians, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Epistle to the Philippians

Start your review of Epistle to the Philippians
Andrea Cox
I love this book! It’s one of my very favorites in the Bible. Paul had such wisdom and grace to share with so many churches during his time, but they stand the test of time and encourage me (and many others) as well, even now. I love especially the verses about being content no matter what he’s facing. Whether rich, poor, hungry, ill, Paul found his contentment in the Lord Jesus Christ, and I strive to do so as well. May the peace of God be with everyone who reads this book searching for Christ’ ...more
Faith
“And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall
Sarita
Feb 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-your-bible
Chapter 4 remains my favourite!

4:4-7 "Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus."

So powerful!
Lila Diller
Jul 26, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very special book for me. It has my current life verse, Phil. 4:8.

updated 2020: Still one of my favorite books of the Bible!
Shantelle
Feb 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Quite enjoyed this four chapter book, Philippians, of the New Testament. It's a letter from Paul to the Philippians, and it just feels personal and full of love, friendship, and encouragement.

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." Philippians 4:6-7
Victoria Goodbrand
Mar 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Best book of the Bible! So much wisdom, and sweet Verses.
Benjamin Stahl
Oct 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
I will always remember this biblical book as being what I was reading the moment my wife's water broke, about 1:20 in the morning, October 22, 2019. God blessed us with a beautiful little boy we called Tobias. Not in any way about the Bible, this review, but something I couldn't help sharing, in thanks to He from whom the Bible was given ...more
Courtney
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
The reading of God's Word is so remarkable that there is nothing that I can say to make it any better. Please, if you are a lost soul, turn to God! He can heal you and give you the greatest peace that you will ever know! ...more
Jules
Dec 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-challenge
MY BIBLE CHALLENGE:
In January 2015 I set myself the challenge to read the complete Bible within a year. I discovered that was an unrealistic challenge, and decided to pick up my Bible as and when I felt ready to read more of it. Here is a link to all the reviews in my Bible challenge so far:

Whitters
May 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So beautiful that it actually brought me to tears. This is the specific book of the Bible that I turn to when I'm struggling with anxiety, and somehow it always helps ease my worries and fears. I love it so much and it is one of my all-time favorites. ...more
Lila Diller
One of my favorite books of the Bible! Phil. 4:8 is my current life-verse, as I need it so much.
Joan Haughton
Sep 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Words from the book of Philippians

Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:

Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Be careful for nothing; but in eve
Cat Juggler
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In chapter 2, we have one of the most important passages about Jesus Christ in the Bible: Who, although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, (made Himself of no reputation) taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men. Therefore, said Paul, "God has highly exalted Him and given Him a name above every name . . .that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE SHOULD BOW, of those who are in heaven, and on earth ...more
Elise
Jan 16, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: with-lexi
This is one of my favorite books of the Bible. It seems that no matter what I'm struggling with the book of Philippians has an answer. I've turned to this book over and over.

Some things that stood out to me:

1:12-14 Is this the kind of attitude I have when facing hardships, especially from the government?

2:3-4 This is the opposite of the me-ology/self care first mentality that the world teaches. Think of OTHERS needs before your own.

3:8 The phrase "surpassing worth" really struck me.

4:2-3 Wome
Mark
Sep 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bible-reading
I read this in The Message With Its Translator: Conversations. I found Eugene Peterson's notes to be helpful and devotional and I especially appreciate the ease of the translation itself. ...more
Ciara
Oct 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Philippians is definitely one of my favorite books. It’s amazing that the apostle Paul could write this and so many other books while in prison. God is truly amazing. I love how the author encourages believers to rejoice in the Lord and teaches a lesson about the humanity of Jesus Christ as he sacrificed his heavenly form to become a human man in order to rescue and restore mankind back to a relationship with God.
Wesley Scarbrough
Dec 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Phillipians Review (No Spoilers)

Phillipians is another great and amazing well written bible book with a lot of wisdom. I think Phillipians wisdom was about how to be an ideal Christian. Anyone can take something from this book. Phillipians is just filled with wisdom. If everybody read Phillipians, I’m sure the world would be a better place. I give Phillipians 5/5 stars.
Brandi Reads PA
Jul 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Philippians is one of my favorite books in the Bible. It is so rich with encouragement and how to live a healthy Christian life. I also enjoy when Paul teaches how to be content in the midst of difficult circumstances. This is something that I struggle with and it’s encouraging to read about Pauls experiences which led to him finding contentment in “whatever situation”.
Jarmby
Sep 19, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: holy-bible
It seems that Paul wrote quite a few letters , apparently to fledgling Christian Communities, dotted around Asia Minor and Greece
They all seem to say very much the same thing, which, in itself was a straightforward message.
Pity email wasn’t available at the time as he could have saved himself some time(perhaps to use for some further self congratulation) by group emailing them all.
Zera
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Paul's letter to the Philippians, like his others, is nothing short of encouraging and wisdom-filled. He delivers the Truth in a concise and beautiful manner, and it is a book worth reading over and over again. ...more
Hannah Brower
Feb 04, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bible
A great book to read when in times of struggle! Paul talks about having joy in all circumstances and having contentment that doesn't rely on your bank account.

One day every knee shall bow, every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord!
Chere' Brady
Feb 13, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Paul's letter to the Philippines... He believed they were living the life God promised. He asked them to keep being faithful and to keep believing that God would supply all their needs. ...more
MayorEmma
Feb 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
"For to live is Christ and to die is better" i love this book of the bible! It is definitely worth your time!! ...more
Captmashpea
Dec 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoy the book of Philippians. There is so much encouragement and just good messages. I think everyone should read it. I it's a wonderful short book.
(Audio Recording)
SweetheartSeerBooks
Feb 16, 2020 rated it really liked it
This letter talks about thankfulness, kindness, and explains true joy in Christ.

Quick read that talks about the type of things we should meditate on and a bit about prayer and trust.
Kate
Dec 14, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow!!
Andrew Wolgemuth
Feb 23, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, faith
Lots of underlining. So punchy.
Joan Haughton
Oct 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Philippians Chapter 3:

Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe.

2 Beware of dogs, beware of evil workers, beware of the concision.

3 For we are the circumcision, which worship God in the spirit, and rejoice in Christ Jesus, and have no confidence in the flesh.

4 Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:

5 Circumcised the e

• The Girl She Used to Be
  • An Introduction to the Bible
  • Under Occupation (Night Soldiers, #15)
  • Deadly Deceit (Harbored Secrets, #2)
  • The Ornament Keeper
  • How Santa Got His Job
  • Memoirs of a Goldfish
  • The Prayers and Meditations of St. Anselm & The Proslogion
  • Away in a Manger (Molly Murphy Mysteries, #15)
  • Silent Shadows (Harbored Secrets #3)
  • Dark Justice
  • John Part 3 - The True Vine . . . One with Him: Chapters 12-21 (Precept Upon Precept )
  • Baby Mine
  • Just Like Beverly: A Biography of Beverly Cleary
  • Born in the Wild: Baby Mammals and Their Parents
  • Pinduli
  • The Strange Case of Dr. Couney: How a Mysterious European Showman Saved Thousands of American Babies
  • Jesus the Great Philosopher: Rediscovering the Wisdom Needed for the Good Life
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.

Bible (1 - 10 of 66 books)
  • Genesis (Bible, #1)