Start by marking “The Teatime Islands” as Want to Read:
The Teatime Islands

The Teatime Islands

3.61  ·  Rating details ·  98 Ratings  ·  11 Reviews
Welcomed with open arms, derided as a pig-ignorant tourist and occasionally mocked mercilessly for his trouble, the author visited the last flag-flying outposts of the British Empire. This book sets out to discover just exactly who would choose to live on islands as remote as these and - more importantly - try to figure out exactly why.
Paperback
Published August 5th 2004 by Penguin Books, Limited (UK) (first published September 4th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Teatime Islands, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Teatime Islands

Breige
Mar 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ben Fogle decides to visit some of harder to reach British Outposts, going to 6 islands in one year: Tristan da Cunha, St. Helena, British Indian Ocean Territory, Pitcairn Island, Falkland Islands and Ascension Island. I did enjoy this book, it’s a great start to a short introduction to these islands and the life on them, it’s left me curious and has had me Googling various things about the islands so no doubt it’ll stick in my mind for a while. The one major downside is how dated it is by now, ...more
Rachel
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel

I enjoyed this book. I think Ben Fogle writes really well and keeps the descriptions interesting, not dry which I think can happen with travel writing pretty fast. I also liked the way that he didn't seem to feel he had to criticise everyone he met, or paint vicious portraits, which can also happen. A few times it just seemed a word or two would do, when necessary.

Who is the girlfriend mentioned in the epilogue? I must get on to wikipedia and see if she became the Mrs Fogle that I know exists.
Michelle Butler
Jun 01, 2014 rated it liked it
This book was a light introduction to some of the smallest British Oversees Territories and I now know a bit more about places like Ascension, St Helena and Tristan da Cunha. The Falklands chapter however was not great and didn't really give a true flavour of the place I am living in today. This may be because a lot has happened in the 12 years since this book was written or may be because Ben Fogle isn't a particularly good travel writer! In summary, interesting but very basic.
Jae
Sep 12, 2012 rated it liked it
I read this over many months, an island at a time, was a good read but not a page turner! Very interesting to read about all those little islands, some I'd not heard of. Have passed it on to my boyfriend.
Alison
Dec 20, 2009 rated it liked it
Ben Fogle is lovely but I have to admit I found him intensely annoying by the time I'd finished this! It could be an intersting travelogue about various islands around the world that were once aprt of the British Empire, but Fogle's nicey nicey atitude and lack of any edge makes this just too soft.
John
Jan 30, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: travel, library_books
Not a bad collection of pieces - Ben got a raw deal re: Pitcairn, but the other locals seemed to really take to him.
Kate Millin
He writes as well as he looks good! A fascinating insight into life on a number of remote islands in the British empire, with a lot of references to his time on Taransay.
Lisa
Oct 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic insight into living in the most remote islands in the world especially on Tristan de Cuhna, the most remote island in the world. Remarkable how civilised these remote areas are!
Peter
Oct 22, 2016 added it
Shelves: insightful
Genteel writing: problematic.
Tracey
Feb 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: autobiography
A very good read and very funny in places. Ben Fogle comes across as very natural person and I like his enthusiasm for life!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Please add cover 3 16 Feb 28, 2013 09:48AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please add page numbers 2 13 Feb 28, 2013 08:54AM
Ben Fogle is a presenter, writer and adventurer. His achievements include racing 160 miles across the Sahara desert in the notorious Marathon Des Sables.

He has rowed the Atlantic Ocean in 49 days and crossed Antarctica in a foot race to the South Pole.
He has presented numerous programmes including BBC’s Animal Park, Wild In Africa, Countryfile, Crufts, One Man and His Dog and Extreme Dreams.

He wri