Start by marking “A Betting Man (Men of Manhattan, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Betting Man (Men of Manhattan, #1)

A Betting Man

(Men of Manhattan #1)

How bad could one harmless bet be? Kent Samson is about to find out. Raised in Alabama, Kent has hidden his past and now loves his life as a big time ad exec for a prestigious advertising company in New York. But when he makes a bet with his best friend, Blaine, Kent is thrown for a loop—for Kent has to make the next person to walk through the door fall in love with him.

Te
Published April 16th 2013 by Wilde City Press

To ask other readers questions about A Betting Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Betting Man

☆ Todd
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it

Okay, this short read was down right adorable, folks.

The drama at the end felt totally manufactured, but I could give a shit.

And the use of the hotdogs was a bit heavy handed, but again, no shits to give there.

If you're looking for something cute and sweet, with a minimum of angst, then this is one piece of fluff you might want to give a try. It would be a great 'decompression' read.

3.75 stars.
*J* Too Many Books Too Little Time
3.5--Kinnay--Stars!!

I think Terry said it best....

"I really liked Kenny. I wanted to kick Kent in the nuts."

Kent is an ad executive. He's ashamed of the country bumpkin life he came from and pretends to be this pretentious asshole!

Kent makes a bet with his douche bag friend and co-worker Blaine that he can make the next person that walks in his office fall in love with him. And that happens to be Terry.

Terry...aka Terrance is also pretending to be someone he's not. Which is a hoity-toity ro
Gigi
Apr 17, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice short story of a self-involved straight man, Kent, who "finds his true self" after falling in love with another man, Terry. He pursues Terry on a bet, to see if he can get him to fall in love with him. Kent is kind of a snake in this book, but I'll let you decide if he redeems himself in the end or not.

Enjoyable read which I can recommend to M/M romance fans, but there is nothing new or earth shattering here.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.25*
Cute story, slightly predictable but enjoyable.
Kent is an ass, he is arrogant and conceited and his best friend and colleague Blaine is no better.
The blurb sums it up, Blaine bets Kent that he can't make the next person who walks in the room fall in love with him, he has 6 months and everyone needs to see it.
Talk about an asshole move, just the thought of playing with someone like that is despicable.
Terry is a bike messenger and pretty low maintenance, not quite what Kent usually goes for.
T
Barbara➰
So this was just okay for me really. I didn't like Kent at all. Now when he was Kenny, he was a lot better. I loved Terry though. And I gotta say I'm not sure if I want to read Blaine's story....total douche bag there.
Crystal
May 21, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: m-m
A too predictable and simplistic gay for you. Characters were not fleshed out at all, their personalities changed as it was convenient for the story line. The main character, despite being straight, suffers no turmoil or angst with discovering and coming to terms with his feelings for a man. None. Whatsoever. Working through that turmoil and confusion is the whole point of a gay for you story, right?

The dialogue was cheesy, the sex scenes were boring: "I wanted to be inside him, to feel him all
Mirjana **DTR - Down to Read**

***3.25 Stars***

A nice, quick and steamy read. The plot was completely predictable, but the characters were engaging enough to keep me invested. Things progressed a little too fast for my liking, but I guess that's to be expected in a book under 100 pages. I'll definitely keep going with the series as I'm interested in the set up for the next couple.

These look to be the perfect "in-between" books.
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq
Seriously guys, this isn't even me being generous, this is me for real. The ONLY thing wrong with this book is the length, I soooo could have handled another 100 pages. This is the kind of book I could read every freaking day. LOVED IT! Read.
~Mindy Lynn~
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it
Adorable! Such a great shorty. Loved the characters.
Amy
Jul 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I’m not usually a big fan of novellas because you don’t get much character development, but this one proved me wrong. I loved Kent (well, not a first) and Terry. Actually, I though Kent was kind of a douchebag at the beginning. He is a hotshot ad exec for an advertising firm in NYC. Kent and his friend Blaine are joking around and Blaine bets him that he can’t make the next person that walks through his office door fall in love with him. Never one to turn down a bet, Kent accepts. Actually, he a ...more
Nic
May 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
I read this story for beginning to end in one go. Sure, its not really that long but it definitely had me hooked right from the beginning. It's written in first person alternating between the two main characters.

The story revolves around Kent making a bet with his buddy Blaine. The bet states that Kent has to make the next person to walk through the office door fall in love with him within six months. That person is Terry the bike courier.

Kent is hiding from his past (to be honest I am not 100%
Bubbles  Hunty Honest & Direct Opinions
I want to read this because I'm an idiot, but I love movies like She's All That. This is a theme I like, I'm just not sure about this book.

Normally the theme is done with younger people still growing up, it's easier to forgive a kid for being an idiot than an adult who should know better. So the blurb sounds like these guys are older and just immature assholes, not as easy to like or forgive IMO. I'm crossing my fingers and hoping the author pulls it off.

It's rotating first person pov (my seco
Ula'ndi Hart
Oct 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-reads, lgbtq
Overall book rating: 4
Audio book: N/A
Book cover: 4 Eye Catching Stars

I haven’t had the best results with this author at times, but this was really nice! I’ve read two of her (Assassin/Shifter) series books and heaven knows, cheesy isn’t the word here really.

Therefore I’m happy to report that I found something I can sit back and smile a big ass smile over!

Between all the heavy and at times sad, we sometimes just need to sit back and have a little Sweet and fluffy and this seems to be the serie
Susan Laine
Jun 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This was one of the best stories I’ve read lately. Though this book is short, every character comes through so clearly. I laughed reading this more than with any other story in a long time, and shed a couple of tears too. As a romance, this isn’t all that original, but the execution is down-to-earth, warm, and loving, not to mention sensual.

Kent has left his poor origins behind and become a successful ad exec. His best friend, Blaine, tempts him into a bet about getting a total stranger to fall
JustJen "Miss Conduct"
Apr 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm, ebook, shorty
I'm going to go with 3.5 stars on this one. It was pretty predictible, but I did actually read it in one sitting. Terry is the biggest sweetheart, and I fell in love with him from the start. There were very few times during this story that I felt Kent deserved to be with him.

These kinds of stories are always a little difficult to read when you know the entire time there are other not-so-nice things behind one mc's interest in another, such as the bet here to make Terry fall in love with him and
Victoria  love books
Book cover: 4 stars
MC1: Kent
MC2: Terry

description

I LOVED the plot!!! I know it's been done over and over and over and over but I really loved the way Sandrine did this one.

This was sweet and yes full of fluffy goodness. It was funny as hell but most of all it gave me a warm feeling and made my heart happy so in my book it was so worth the read - yes it was a bit short and not perfect at all but it was just what I needed.

Isn't it funny how once you are pu
Susan65
Apr 12, 2013 rated it liked it
I was really hoping that I would eventually like Kent, but he was just awful and didn't deserve forgiveness. He was horrible to his parents, and horrible to his "boyfriend". Should have been name "A Shallow Man".

Maybe I am just hormonal or something, but I thought Kent and Blaine were cruel and heartless.

Terry was adorable... I loved him but wish he would have shut the door in Kents face...at least for a while :)
~Kristin~
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
3.25 Stars
Tpagirl
Jul 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
A Betting Man was the first book in the Men of Manhattan series and my first by Sandrine Gasq-Dion. It was short, sweet and enjoyable.

Kent Samson was the gorgeous David Beckham look alike that paved his way to a successful Ad exec with a take no prisoners attitude. He was loved and hated equally but with a New York flare that said he was born and raised there. In all of it, he secretly never forgot the poor country boy that worked his way to New York and he vowed to never be that person again.

Te
Jewel
This was certainly an enjoyable start to this series. In spite of the awfulness of the bet that started it all (that really was rather cruel), I ended up enjoying the story. Terry was a no-nonsense sort of guy and lived according to his own rules. And Kent...well, he needed to learn to see past himself, and Terry helped him with that.

Kent had gotten lost in the money and prestige he gained as an ad executive. Everything was a game to him, and to his best friend Blaine, as well. Until they see, f
Wency
Dec 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
4 Sexy Stars

Just my kink! An enjoyable GFY with a nice premise. For me, GFY books tend to be stressing sometimes. Mostly on the guys coming to terms with their sexually. But in this book, it was quite an easy delivery. No getting cold feet. Just when it's love, it's love.

A short enjoyable read with just the right ingredients to keep you interested till the end.

Here's a treat! Since hotdog is having a great role in this book.
(view spoiler)
Ely
May 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
I just couldn't get past the the writing. First person POV is iffy for me, few people can pull it off in their writing, this author was not one of them. I'm mildly curious about Blaine but if the writing is as crappy, I'll probably skip it.
Candice
Apr 18, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cute, gfy, light-easy
After reading the blurb, I could tell that the plot was pretty predictable, but even with that, you get a low angst, light and enjoyable story.
Eli Easton
May 17, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this novella. I like a good gfy story and this one is that. Kent is a high-powered ad exec who makes a bet with his co-worker that he'll make the next person to walk in the door fall in love with him. Naturally, Kent is a huge womanizer (who 'looks like David Beckham') and the next person to walk in is a cute male twink bike messenger.

I liked the other MC, Terry, to pieces, and I particularly enjoyed the scenes with Kent's parents. The gfy element wasn't really explained or exp
Monika
Sep 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
3.75 Stars

A good fast read that had great characters and laugh out loud moments. I did have to suspend any thoughts of this story being remotely close to real life but once I did that I had fun with it.

Looking forward to reading the next story in the series.
Sandi ♥'s way too many M/M books
Feb 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
Absolutely loved it!
Heidi
Apr 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, part-of-series
A bit Mills & Boonish, but still sweet.
aksana  -  4 - 8 - 15 - 16 - 23 - 42 -
3.5 Stars
Lasha
Apr 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I was very interested in reading a book by Sandrine Gasq-Dion that did not feature shifters. A Betting Man is a contemporary m/m romance set in New York that features a rich, straight ad exec named Kent Samson who makes a bet with his best friend Blaine to seduce the next person who walks through the door. That person happens to be Terry Barron. A guy. What ensues is more like Freddie Prinze, Jr.’s plight in She’s All That, because as Kent falls for Terry, you know eventually the lie that brough ...more
  • Inseparable (Inseparable, #1)
  • Nights In Canaan
  • 500 Kisses
  • Lost Won (Liaisons #3)
  • Houseboat on the Nile (Spy vs. Spook, #1)
  • Happily Ever After (Russian Bear #2)
  • Busted (Wellington Guys #1)
  • Heart of the Race
  • Shawn's Voice
  • Glen & Tyler's Honeymoon Adventure (Glen & Tyler's Adventures, #1)
  • A Little Bit Country
  • The Dangerous Seduction
  • Daylight Again (Hell or High Water, #3)
  • A Reason To Stay (Heroes #1)
  • Robert's VP
  • Out of My Mind
  • Loving Jay (Loving You, #1)
  • Inferno
I have been blessed in this life to not only have parents that support me, but kids that do as well. I grew up in a loving but "Old School" French household. My parents worked for the airlines (TWA) so I was able to see a lot of Europe as a kid. I moved to Seattle Washington at the age of 22 and stayed there for twelve years before moving to Alaska for a little over two. Fairbanks, AK was one hell ...more

Men of Manhattan (7 books)
  • A Marrying Man (Men of Manhattan, #2)
  • A Fighting Man (Men of Manhattan, #3)
  • A Working Man (Men of Manhattan, #4)
  • A Healing Man (Men of Manhattan, #5)
  • A Selfless Man (Men of Manhattan, #6)
  • An Honorable Man (Men of Manhattan, #7)