Start by marking “Cattra's Legacy (Cattra's Legacy #1)” as Want to Read:
Cattra's Legacy (Cattra's Legacy #1)

Cattra's Legacy

(Cattra's Legacy #1)

Risha is strong and outspoken, and at 16 has developed into a leader of men, a strategic thinker, and a woman — one can imagine — who will assume the legacy left by her mother.

The story begins with 13-year-old Risha living a simple life in the mountains with her father. When her father suddenly dies, Risha is left alone, an outcast of her village. Disguised as a boy, Risha
Published April 5th 2013 by Longacre (first published January 1st 2013)

Start your review of Cattra's Legacy (Cattra's Legacy #1)
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief i'm not actually mad!
Cattra's Legacy was simply awesome. I absolutely adored the characters, they were amazeballs.

Risha started off shy and meek but I still really enjoyed her from the start. there where a couple of times when the time frame skipped ahead quiet quickly and Risha skills became a little unbelievable, only cause of how quickly she became good at things - quite a few things she was good at take a few years to master that well. so over a bit more time I would of had no doubts of her accomplishments.
there
Kay Ward
Apr 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
There is something about Anna MacKenzie’s books that draw me from page to page much later in the night than I intend! The plot is never lost or slow and leads me towards the climax. Despite being fantasy, Anna uses language which stirs memories and images for me that make the scenes seem reality in my mind. Really enjoyed this book and can’t wait for the next one.
Jan
Sep 22, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy
Looking forward to the sequel to find out what happens to Risha. This is another book that demonstrates one of the things Anna does well: the creation of strong, determined female characters. Beautifully realised world with a cast of interesting characters. Lots of action in which Risha is not merely a bystander.
Annie
Apr 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was really fast paced. At times it jumped days at a time but the story was not lost. This was a book I could not put down. Risha is an amazing character who grows so much through the story. There were a lot of characters and occasionally I got lost but there were some who you just root for the entire way. Seriously good read!
Lisa
Oct 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book was interesting and intriguing. The story line kept a quick pace and it was sufficiently intricate enough to keep me guessing. Probably 4 1/2 star instead of 5 because there wasn't enough of a love connection for my liking but I'm glad it wasn't forced when the story wasn't ready to support it. Lovely writing
BernM
Apr 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Best recently published fantasy that I've read in a while. Contained all the essential fantasy elements - great medieval setting, courageous heroine, fast-paced plot, good male characters and a few unexpected twists and turns. I can't wait to read the next instalment.

Lorraine Orman
Apr 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
Absorbing fantasy with a vivid medieval setting, feisty heroine, intriguing story lines developing - but now I have to wait for the sequel!
Cas
Jul 13, 2014 rated it it was amazing
An absolutely amazing tale- what would you do if your past was kept from you? All fans will hope there is a sequel!
Angela Oliver
Aug 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Risha's tale begins in the mountainous village of Torfell, shortly after her father's death. Her life is about to change, and not necessarily for the better, as she is first forced to leave her home, and then begins on a journey across a perilous countryside, following the legacy of a mother she can barely remember.

It took me a while to warm to the story. The characterisation and writing style is very rich, vivid and lyrical, but for the first part of the journey Risha's role in it is fairly
Adele Broadbent
Aug 02, 2014 rated it really liked it
When Risha’s father Pelon dies in the mountain village of Torfell, she is soon told the house she has grown up in does not belong to her. It was only leased for Pelon’s lifetime. She knows otherwise but without proof she cannot argue with the head of the town.

She is left grieving for Pelon but also angry at him for not providing for her if he died. She was brought there very young and has always been an outsider ‘outcomer’.

As she grew she would see visions of places she had never been. She would
Sarah Wade
Dec 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Anne Williams:)
Feb 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantasy setting- horses, swords and castles- adventure and romance.
Heather
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it

This was an action-packed story with a strong female character. It was a bit slow in parts but, overall, an enjoyable story for those who like lots of action and a hint of romance.
Charlie
An enjoyable YA fantasy with a slow-developing storyline. Slow, but definitely still intriguing! My only real issue was that I felt that Risha was just dragged along and never really decided anything for herself. There was one time in particular when she joined up with Muir and the others and travelled with them for days, without any explanation of who they were or where they were going. Otherwise, I quite enjoyed it, and look forward to finding out what happens next!
Jane
Nov 08, 2014 rated it liked it
I had high expectations from the blurb of being pulled into a fast paced read. I found the story uneven at times. Arishara's time alone in the lands with her horse were the most tense and interesting.
Her stay with the mud people reminiscent of Tolkien's LOR.
Sawbira
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was ok
I wanted to read this book because it looked interesting. I found it okay but the ending confused me and some politic bits made it hard for me to follow.
Sabina Jones
So freaking boring. Where is the plot?
Thelma
Oct 27, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• The Lay of Aotrou and Itroun
  • The Evolution Man: Or, How I Ate My Father
Anna Mackenzie wrote her first book aged 6, but spent a while roaming through other jobs before returning to writing fiction. Now that she has, she can't imagine doing anything else!
Her nine titles have won her seven CLF Notable Book Awards, an NZ Post Honour Award, Sir Julius Vogel Award, White Raven, and more. Her latest title, Evie's War, tells the story of a young New Zealander who works in

Cattra's Legacy (2 books)
  • Donnel's Promise (Cattra's Legacy #2)