Start by marking “The Promise of Provence (Love In Provence Series, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Promise of Provence (Love In Provence Series, #1)

The Promise of Provence

(Love in Provence #1)

Surprise, shock, and a shift in her comfortable life tumble into Katherine Price’s world when least expected. The future she has imagined suddenly vanishes, leaving little to focus upon beyond her career and the caregiving her elderly widowed mother might require.

Fate has other plans.

June in Provence is full of promise when Katherine arrives from Canada, eager to feel rene
Published April 30th 2013 by Patricia Sands (first published March 27th 2013)

leslie hamod
Jun 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Katherine doesn't have any idea that on her anniversary, her husband will ask for a divorce.
Amazing novel inviting readers to visit the South of France. Beautifully rendered descriptions, and the smells of France are wonderful! Lavender fields, food and a perfect rendition of life in France, warm, inviting and seductive. Characters so wonderfully written about and of the reader deals like they are known. They have the strength and foibles one expects of people.
Follow the story to see how and if
Sharon
May 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Goodreads "First Reads" Give away

The Promise of Provence is one truly extraordinary read. It is the story of Katherine who’s ordinary life is turned upside down with a bunch of flowers and a letter from her husband.

If I did not have other commitments in my life I could see myself reading this book in one sitting. The story grabs you right from the very start and keeps hold of you right till the very end. I will openly admit that this story made me wish I had paid more attention in French class i
Ninon
Nov 08, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am baffled by ratings and review of this book - it is so bad it is painful to read. Between the elaborately contrived descriptions of wall color, flowers (same exact phrases repeated over and over) and the horrific editing, I am thinking about burning my Kindle.
Having finally slogged through this - skipping the simperingly forced pages of descriptions - which read like 10th grade descriptive beach essays - I would love to bump my stars down to 0. That said, I finished it, so it can keep one.
Elizabeth of Silver's Reviews

FULL REVIEW BELOW and A GIVEAWAY IS ON MY BLOG AT THE BOTTOM OF THE BLOG REVIEW.

Kat was happily married and had been for twenty-two years.

On the day of her twenty-second anniversary, she came home to the usual bouquet of flowers and the note from her husband. The note definitely wasn't the normal loving one. This note was one saying he was in love with someone else and was leaving her.

Kat couldn't believe it, but she had her mother and some terrific friends to help her through it all.

Kat moved
Michele
Aug 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: current-fiction
I am clearly out of touch with modern life. Either authors have conspired to add the same plot development to each and every current novel, or I have been left behind in the life/story line situation currently being experienced. It's impossible for me to count how many books read recently contain these elements:

woman is dumped and left devastated by husband/lover/boyfriend

she struggles to recover her equilibrium

her life becomes better and oh, yeah, she meets a fabulous new guy 10-20 years younge
Boyko Ovcharov
Aug 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Promise of Humanity

This book is really enjoyable in a number of ways, that is, you can read it as a romantic adventure, self-help, travel or historical fiction etc.
No matter how you approach it, it has something for virtually anyone, although it is targeted at female readers.
What I found amazing was the ease of shifting viewpoints across times, cultures, countries, continents, languages, and above all, mindsets.
At the beginning, the storytelling felt a bit slow, especially for a male reader,
Rebekah
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I just want you guys to know that I read this, fully, because I was SO AMAZED that a book could be SO BORING! Amazon opened up their prime subscribers library recently so I poked around and found a book to read in about thirty seconds--"romance," "france," sounds good. OH MY GOD YOU GUYS, the most boring! Not really a romance novel with a plot so much as a book to make middle aged ladies want to go to France. Like a travel advertisement. It explained a lot when I got to the end and the author's ...more
Elizabeth
Jul 01, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is one part travel book and one part love story. Together, they come together nicely to tell the tale of Katherine, a 55 year old woman who, in the first few pages becomes a woman alone after many years of marriage. She doesn't know what to do or where she should go. We see her making choices - some good, some bad and learning along the way. The novel takes her to France and that's where her growing to become herself takes place.

The author describes locations in France so beautifully
Marla
Jul 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book. It makes me want to do a home swap with someone in Provence or at least rent a house there. I thought the characters were well developed and enjoyed Molly's character. I look forward to seeing what is next for Katherine and Philippe.

I won this from The Reading Room Webiste.
Ruth Vanderhart
Mar 08, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Ugh! Simply dreadful
Linda Kovic-Skow
In The Promise of Provence, Patricia Sands takes the reader on a journey of discovery. When her main character's marriage falls apart, Katherine decides to travel out of her comfort zone in Toronto, first to Provence, and then to The French Riviera. During these trips, she grows stronger emotionally, joining the locals and experiencing a very different side of life, including romance. Often I felt like I was beside her enjoying the sights in these remarkable locations in France.
Sophia
For a middle-aged woman preparing to enjoy a quiet, lovely anniversary with her husband of many years, life comes to a screeching halt. Starting over with a bruised heart and trust at a minimum teaches her that life is not over and a great deal is still meant to be lived.

The Promise of Provence was just the sort of women's fiction that I enjoy when in the right mood. I loved the combination of a person growing and recovering from a few huge hits (husband cheating and walking away along with a fa
Noelle Dunn
Jan 14, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this book more than I did. The parts about Provence were actually quite good. It was the distracting side plots that were frustrating for me. There were several that were unnecessary and went nowhere. Editing out a third of this book would have made it much better.
Julie
Jun 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to this book by the title initially as I love France and Provence in particular. This book delivered far more than I could have expected. To begin with the setting is Toronto in Canada, which immediately made me want to visit. I immediately identified with Kat, whose life changes dramatically and unexpectedly when she is in her fifties.
Alongside a romance, there is the story of Kat’s parents and their escape from Hungary. It is also a story of coping with change and moving on. As Kat
Rebecca Rosenberg
"Life is full of choices. Don't be afraid to make them when you know they are right for you." A wise phrase spoken by Francois, an older gentleman that Katherine rescues, sums up this refreshing story for me. Katherine has had a rough year with her husband leaving her and her parents dying. She finds it hard and lonely to think of life alone. A trip to Provence finds her discovering herself all over again. This is a modern tale of middle-aged woman finding herself, maybe for the first time. As a ...more
Liza Perrat
Aug 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
Swept up in the lovely local descriptions of the vineyards, the food and wine, the market places and the flowers, The Promise of Provence transported me to one of my favourite places in France. Katherine’s journey from loss and grief to her happiness as she falls in love again, with Provence, kept me turning the pages and evoked every emotion. If Provence is not already on your travel list, it certainly will be after this most enjoyable read!
Luccia Gray
Nov 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Promise of Provence is an innovative and unusual type of novel because the heroine is not an innocent or feisty young woman in search of a career or a companion. The main character is a middle-aged woman, in her late fifties, who finds that the life she was living and had planned to continue leading disintegrates unexpectedly before her eyes. As a result, she is forced reinvent herself and redesign her future.
The first part of The Promise of Provence carries us through the traumatic events,
Emma
So I opened the book, and by page 5, no Marseille exaggeration here [Marseille is the French Texas of Provence - their inhabitants are renowned, all over France, to exaggerate everything], so by page 5, I was TOTALLY hooked and I kept reading and devoured the book in about 2 days.

Kat (Katherine) lives in Canada. She is 55, has been married for many years, but on their wedding anniversary, her husband introduces a totally unexpected “bomb” in her life. That’s the setting at the opening of the boo
Lynn
Aug 01, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book and series is part romance and part travelogue. I enjoyed the story of a woman who reinvents herself after being dumped by a cheating husband. He actually did her a favor though in a heartless and underhanded way as their marriage was all about him and his desires. After more challenging events occur in her life, Katherine feels the need for a change of scenery and agrees to a house exchange in Provence, France. Her new journey begins like a fairly tale once she settles in, and continu ...more
Caren ~ the misfit geek
I wanted to like this book more than I did. I was never fully engaged with the story. The side story that was included was more of a distraction for me and I never fully understood what it had to do with the story. The story seemed a little disjointed and was not easy for me to read.

I never really connected with Katherine. I felt like she never really allowed me to know her and that made it difficult to understand her. There were moments in the book where I thought there might be a breakthrough
Merryl
Jul 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For the most part, this was fast read piece of "chick lit". I found it a fast read, not too deep and a bit forced in order for the expected conclusion to make sense. There was not much "thinking" in this book and that's what made it a fast, one day read. I would probably recommend it for a beach day read or a sitting around on a rainy day read but would not have been happy if it wasn't a free read for me. Enjoyed the light reading but there was no real "meat" to the story. Everything happened ex ...more
BJ
Mar 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Wow, I loved this book! I love books set in France and Italy particularly and this one set between Canada and France filled the bill. Loved the descriptions of places seen and food eaten. This book made me laugh and cry. Katherine's story kept me engrossed, I hardly wanted to put it down. This was not only a story about a woman finding herself again and claiming her life back, it is also a love story between a man and a woman and a woman and a country. It is also a story recognizing the importan ...more
Barb Taub
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“It’s a big universe. Everything happens Somewhere,” says Doctor Who (“The Doctor, The Widow & The Wardrobe”). But I would answer that just as in this episode, and in the Narnia stories it’s based on, sometimes it’s the Somewhere that makes everything happen. To an extent, that’s what occurs in both The Promise of Provence and Promises to Keep, the first two volumes of Patricia Sands’ Love in Provence series.

The story begins on Katherine Price’s wedding anniversary, as she heads to her job i
Judi Easley
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance readers who enjoy a starting over story or any woman who enjoys solid women's lit
Recommended to Judi by: the covers & the author
♥♥♥♥♥

The author provided me with a complimentary copy of each of the three books in this series. I am providing an honest review of this first book. All opinions are completely my own. I am not being compensated in any way. I will review the other two books when I have had a chance to read them.

This is a revealing review, but will not spoil your enjoyment of the book.

I must say that what first drew me to this series is the cover artwork of the three books. The soft, sunny scenes were so appealin
Rachel Gilbey
Jan 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Promise of Provence is the perfect mix of women's fiction but also travel writing, with a fair amount of delicious food descriptions too. This is a story that starts with some reasonably heavy topics for the first 20% and then after that once Katherine is in France, I found myself enjoying the book even more.

Katherine is going through a large amount of change in this story, her husband divorces her very early into the book, and she moves back in with her aging mother. We soon learn just wha
Betty
Oct 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This beautifully written book certainly covers a lot of ground, a lot of topics – home swapping, travelogue, cheese, wine, a little about the Holocaust, Ukraine, friendship, and, of course, romance. But for me, the main lesson from Ms. Sands’ story is that it is never too late to follow your dream. It may require you to step outside your comfort zone but you may find it was definitely worth the risk.

Katherine Price, 55 years old, thought her 22-year marriage was stable until her husband left her
writer...
My first book addition to the 7th annual Canadian Reading Challenge for both Canadian locations and Canadian author. Patricia Sands writes knowledgeably about Toronto and surrounding area of St Jacobs, home territory of our MC, as well as her travels to Provence, France. Descriptions have piqued my interest in both the area of France and the home exchange program that brought the book's protagonist to discover same.

Secondary characters and subplots in abundance for this 450 page contemporary wom
Camille Maio
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Pack your bags and be prepared to be swept up in the glory of the food, sights, and feels of the south of France in Sands' lush story of a woman whose life changes in an unexpected way. At first, devastated, until the location and people of Provence rescue her. For fans, be delighted with knowing that there are two more books in the series!
Andrea Stoeckel
Oct 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
[ I received this book free from the publisher through NetGalley. I thank them for their generousity. In exchange, I was simply asked to write an honest review, and post it. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255 “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising]

Fifty something Katherine Price comes home to celebrate her anniversary with her husband James, who, as regular as clockw
Susan
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Promise of Provence is a wonderful tale of a woman in search of herself. Katherine is a fifty-five year old woman with a nice life in Toronto. She has a good job as a researcher and a happy marriage, that is until James, her husband leaves her an anniversary bouquet with a note saying he wants a divorce. As Katherine's world falls apart she relies on friends and family to help her pick up the pieces and start again.

Her life takes on a new twist when her cousin suggests she try a house exchan
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Francophiles: January Kindle Holiday Sale 2 8 Jan 06, 2016 01:26PM
Sisterhood of the...: The Promise of Provence Patricia Sands 45 26 Mar 30, 2014 10:53AM
Home exchange 2 13 Oct 25, 2013 08:28PM

• Unravelled: Two Wars. Two Affairs. One Marriage.
  • The Summer of France
  • The Girl in the Empty Dress (Bennett Sisters #2)
  • French Fried: one man's move to France with too many animals and an identity thief
  • The Mona Lisa Speaks
  • The French for Love
  • Honeymoon in Paris (City of Love Book 3)
  • The Sword of the Maiden (The Watchmen Saga #2)
  • Confessions of a Paris Party Girl
  • Death at the Paris Exposition
  • Madeleine project
  • A Very French Christmas: The Greatest French Holiday Stories of All Time
  • The French House: An American Family, a Ruined Maison, and the Village That Restored Them All
  • Beyond the Carousel (Wyattsville, #5)
  • Happy Hour
  • Hubble Bubble
  • The Greenland Breach
  • Secrets of Paris
Bestselling author Patricia Sands lives in Toronto, Canada, when she isn't somewhere else, and calls the south of France her second home. An admitted travel fanatic, she can pack a bag in a flash and be ready to go anywhere … particularly the south of France. With a focus on travel, women’s issues and aging, her stories celebrate the feminine spirit and the power of friendship.

Her award-winning 2

Love in Provence (3 books)
  • Promises to Keep (Love in Provence, #2)
  • I Promise You This (love in Provence, #3)
“And the artist, Jaume Plensa’s philosophy?” “No, not that.” Philippe continued, his voice becoming quietly intimate. “I read an interview with him that touched me deeply. The feeling he expresses through this work is that letters are like bricks. They help us to construct our thoughts. He described his belief that our skin is permanently and invisibly tattooed with the text of our life experiences, and then someone comes along—a friend, a lover—who is able to decipher these tattoos.” Biting” 0 likes
“were” 0 likes