Start by marking “Prelude (Blue Notes, #4)” as Want to Read:
Prelude (Blue Notes, #4)

Prelude

(Blue Notes #4)

World-renowned conductor David Somers never wanted the investment firm he inherited from his domineering grandfather. He only wanted to be a composer. But no matter how he struggles, David can’t translate the music in his head into notes on paper.

When a guest violinist at the Chicago Symphony falls ill, David meets Alex Bishop, a last-minute substitute. Alex’s fame and ou
Published May 6th 2013 by Dreamspinner Press (first published May 5th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Prelude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Prelude

Baba
May 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m
4 stars.****Review completed May 21, 2013

photo Bildschirmfoto2013-05-20um151119_zpse391b3dd.png

David lost his parents when he was a little boy and he can hardly remember them anymore, yet he misses a warm hug from his mother or his father's encouraging smile because he had a tough time growing up under his grandfather’s harsh and imperious wing. Neither did the old man hug him nor did he tell him that he loved David. As a matter of fact, David’s grandfather never offered any parental emotions or feelings. What he did have, however, were high expect
SheReadsALot
A Hearts On Fire Review

FOUR & A HALF STARS-- "Prelude", book 4 of the Blue Notes series by Shira Anthony and Venona Keyes features musician orphan main characters, violinist Alex Bishop and conductor David Somers. They were introduced in book #1 as a couple and we finally get their story in this book. Thankfully this series does not need to be read in order, each book can be read as standalones. I only read book #1 of the Blue Notes series.

But I can say "Prelude" skates perfect figure eigh
❧Gwendolyn❧A Bookish Berkeley Girl❧
OMG, ALEX.....So HUMBLE!

And so GIFTED!

And so deserving of LOVE!

And, David was so very perfect for him~

This is without a doubt one of my most favorite couple in this series....

ALEX....I heart him!

He stole the show, in this one for sure!

I love Alex and David together, they simple were meant to be.

The writing style was AWESOME.

The smexy scene was soooooo sweet, and super HAWT!

I don't think I have ever read a book that depicts the beauty of humbleness and exemplifies this within a man so well
Shira Anthony
Apr 03, 2013 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Book 4 in the Blue Notes Series is bit of a prequel to the other books, although it's meant to be read as a standalone novel. For those of you who'd like to read the series in chronological order, it goes like this:

1) Prelude
2) Blue Notes
3) Aria
4) The Melody Thief

"Prelude" is the story of conductor/composer David Somers, who appears in all of the first three Blue Notes books. In those stories, David is friend and mentor to the young musicians who appear as main characters (Cary Redding and Aide
Deeze
Nov 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
Prelude was a wonderfully refreshing romantic read.

I loved Alex from the start. David took a little time for me to warm up too, but once I got to know him and understand him a little, he captured my heart and didn't let go. That's not to say I didn't want to shake him a few times, boy he was an idiot at times lol.

I was a little worried I would be lost in such a professional musical theme, but I worried needlessly. If anything I found myself wishing I could go to a performance just to experience
Jacq ~
Mar 22, 2014 rated it really liked it
Loved it!
This was a lovely story. The violinist Alex Bishop and Conductor David Somers...Sigh so so sweet. The first kiss, I had to wait till about 48%. From there steamy smexy! I had a hard time putting the book down.
very nice ending, just a bit unfinished HFN :(. In the end a well rounded story.

This read was so very enjoyable!
DaisyGirl
Dianne
May 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Originally reviewed for: http://liveyourlifebuythebook.wordpre...

Wow!! The authors have outdone themselves with this latest installment in the wonderful “Blue Notes” series. David, Alex, their music, their passion, their struggles,their perseverance … all portrayed wonderfully in this story.

Lena Grey
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
When David Somers first lays eyes on Alex Bishop, he reacts in his typical snobbish, distant way; but when Alex lifts his violin and plays, David is immediately entranced. Even before he knows Alex, he senses that his legendary control is in jeopardy. On the surface, they are as different as night and day, but inside, they have a potential to make very beautiful music together, but only if they can create an effective counterpoint from the various melodies available.

David Somers is a talented, a
Nic
Jul 23, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is the 4th book in the Blue Notes series but the series can be read in any order. However there is an author note stating that this would be book 1 if you want to read the story in chronological order.

This is the story of David who is a conductor and Alex a violinist.

David has had immense success in his career as a conductor and leads the Chicago Symphony Orchestra. However, he is not happy and satisfied with his life. He has been brought up with wealth and privilege but suffered loss which
LiveYourLife BuyTheBook
5 Stars - KAPOW!

Wow!! The authors have outdone themselves with this latest installment in the wonderful “Blue Notes” series. David, Alex, their music, their passion, their struggles, their perseverance … all portrayed wonderfully in this story.

I love music. I love Chicago. I love vulnerable men. I love artistically talented men. I love kind, patient, understanding men. I love men in love. I love good friends. Wrap all of these together in a thoroughly engaging and beautifully told story.. and yo
Bea
May 09, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a prequel, although there are minor references to the other characters.

I was always curious about David and Alex, so I was all over this book. In the other books their love and passion always seemed so strong.

As a romance story, I will say it is typical, I knew when we got to the angsty parts what would happen. It was enjoyable, just not outstanding.

Then we get to the musician aspect and it blew me away.

As a musician ( a mere sub par in my college years) I could completely relate to how
Anke
Jan 10, 2017 rated it it was ok
Oh my - this is my 5th 2* read this year alone. That doesn't look promising, right? Perhaps it's my mood? But really, this whole thing was aggravating. First this guy, Alex, who can do everything from speaking 3 foreign languages to playing every music imaginable on his violin. Then our two heroes not only suddenly know the same people (why not earlier?) but also suddenly are always at the same place, even in Europe!

And then it took forever until David finally was able to give into the relations
Mercedes
Nov 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm-romance
This is a very romantic story without it being sappy or sugary sweet. I liked it a lot.
Tali Spencer
May 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m
David Somers and Alex Bishop have made appearances in earlier Blue Notes novels, where they served as entry points for other characters into a tight-knit group of supportive gay couples. Prelude is the story of their romance and is also the book that most completely integrates music into the setting and characters. For that reason, I love it second only to Blue Notes, my personal favorite of the series so far.

Prelude is set in Chicago, a city I know well, and I love how Anthony captured the flav
Shirley Frances
Oct 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2014, glbt, mm-read, mm-series
Wow! I loved this book! It's been a couple of days since I read it and I still sigh at the 'feels'.

One thing I love about a romance is to see the main characters get to know each other. The camaraderie, the banter, the honest exchanges--it always gets to me. Thankfully, Shira did not disappoint!

Of course, it helped that I found the characters intriguing. Since I had read some of the books before this one, I had a vague idea of who David was. But to read his story and the way it was told was some
T.M. Smith
May 21, 2013 rated it really liked it
David Somers is a brilliant conductor with intimacy and self esteem issues thanks to a strictly shitty childhood. He was raised by his emotional inept grandfather after his parent’s death. His dream is to become a composer, but he has issues getting the notes that dance in his head to pen and paper. Until he meets Alex.

Alex Bishop is an openly gay violin player, and a damn good one at that. He has a dark past having lost his parents as well, but he carries scars both emotionally and literally fr
Lisa J.
3.5 stars. Being immersed in the classical musical world was a nice change of pace from the usual rock-star romance. When I started reading this one, I got excited. The prologue was heartbreaking. I was invested in Alex and Rachel.

When we meet David, the conductor for the Chicago symphony, he is cold, polite and distant. I liked the way David's thoughts were matched with music. I couldn't wait for the romance to kick in so he could thaw out. And he did. The time we spend with him and Alex as a
Dec 18, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Wow. I think Shira Anthony has become a new favourite author. This is the first of the Bluenotes stories I’ve read and I absolutely loved it.

If opposites attract, David and Alex are a perfect match. The homeless prodigy and the unloved heir to a Wall Street fortune have instant chemistry. Music gave Alex an identity and a future while at the same time it alienated David from his family. It is a shared passion that bridges the gap between very different men.

I loved the characters and I loved th
Hanne
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I loved this fourth book in the Blue Note series, and as we've met David and Alex in the previous three books it was nice to (finally) get their story.

There are those who won't like David's hot and cold attitude towards Alex, but I can see where he's coming from. His background goes a long way to explain why he is how he is, i.e. insecure and "repressed". Thankfully Alex has the patience to wait for David to face his "demons" and finally grow up to fully be who he is meant to be with the man he
Lily
May 10, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: mm-romance, musicians
3.6 stars. Reading this book was a much more pleasant experience for me, especially since I was left confused and unsatisfied by the previous instalment. Although well written like the first two, I always feel as if a certain spark is missing from the story. Or something happens which dims the appeal for me.

In this case, I simply did not understand David's attitude, why he had to hurt Alex by pushing him away during the plot climax, then quite suddenly want him back... (view spoiler)
April
Jan 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m-romance
I love this series of stand-alone tales with some cross-pollination of characters and a setting in the international music scene.

David Somers is an internationally acclaimed conductor, seemingly confident in his abilities. But that is only regarding music. Personally, he is deeply insecure and has to keep a strong control over his life if he doesn't want to fall apart.

Alex Bishop is a guest violinist with David's orchestra. He's also a confident, tattooed rocker and someone David would never wi
Kara
Dec 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing
World renowned conductor David meets Alex when a quest violinist falls sick. There is a instant attraction between these two men but David fights it afraid of losing Alex like he has lost other people he has loved before in his life.

This book was definitely a slow but sweet burn between these two men. Then these was the steamy scenes that were just so hot!

Loved the way this author wrote this story and these characters. You could really feel what they felt in this book with David being afraid o
Jaime
❥❥**)
.•.•*) .•*)
(.• (.•`* provided by author in exchange for an honest review. Reviewed by Jaime from Alpha Book Club
and Gay Book Reviews
descriptiondescriptiondescription
Shannon
May 10, 2013 rated it really liked it
This was probably my favorite of the series so far. I loved the classical music aspect and the prologue alone was worth the read. I do wish Rachel had a larger part in the story though. What I didn't quite understand was Alex. Why would he keep going back for more of that cold treatment over and over. We do get to see why David is so distant and cold but I kept waiting for him to really just let go and melt all over Alex but it just wasn't that intense. And I wanted it to be!
Rick
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I'd like to say Thank You to Shira Anthony for such a beautiful story. In fact I would have to say to just be the most beautiful, angst filled love story I've read. Possibly because of all of the music involved, the story had that same kind of flow that music has. It took me to major Highs, those in between bars and some of the lowest Bass possible.
I really loved it and will definitely without a doubt read the rest of her catalog.
Alicia
Apr 30, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fabulous, awesome
Two heads are better than one, or in this case, two authors. Beautifully lyrical. Loved the Chicago setting, which rises like a crescendo. Conductor David and his love interest Alex are wonderfully crafted characters who come together in a natural way. Very believable story line. Loved it. Perfect read.
Becky Condit
May 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I absolutely LOVE this book and would DEFINITELY recommend it and the other fantastic, fascinating stories in the Blue Notes series to everyone.

Trish's complete 4 3/4 sweet pea review appears at http://mrsconditreadsbooks.com/index.... on May 6, 2013
Claire Potterton
Jan 03, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a good book, with moments of pure brilliance that tightened my chest, brought tears to my eyes and kept me invested in Alex and David's story.
Mandy*reads obsessively*
Free at DSP for another 10 minutes!!!
« previous 1 3 next »
Dreamspinner Press: Prelude by Shira Anthony & Venona Keyes 1 8 May 06, 2013 12:30PM

• Metal Heart
  • Spark (North Star #1)
  • Lighting the Way Home (Delectable, #2)
  • Desires' Guardian (Desires Entwined, #2)
  • Stranded (Stranded, #1)
  • Servitude
  • Guarding January
  • Tarnished Gold (Tarnished, #1)
  • The Magic Broom
  • Sorcerer's Knot
  • Illumination
  • Gasp!
  • Catch My Breath
  • Hanging by the Moment
  • The British Devil
  • Patient Privilege
  • The Gig (Speechless #2)
  • The Auspicious Troubles of Chance (The Auspicious Troubles of Love, #1)
Shira Anthony is a complete sucker for a happily-ever-after, and rarely reads or writes a story without one. Never a fan of instalove, Shira likes to write stories about real men with real issues making real relationships work.

In her last incarnation, Shira was a professional opera singer, performing roles in such operas as “Tosca,” “Pagliacci,” and “La Traviata,” among others. Her Blue Notes Ser

Blue Notes (6 books)
  • Blue Notes (Blue Notes, #1)
  • The Melody Thief (Blue Notes, #2)
  • Aria (Blue Notes, #3)
  • Encore (Blue Notes, #5)
  • Dissonance (Blue Notes, #6)
“Something wrong?"

"No." David's voice was low and full of emotion. "I just wanted to look at you."

"What do you see?"